Something for everyone: Avoiding PPD/the "baby blues" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.robynsnest.com/postpart.htm

According to this link and to elsewhere I've read, 80% of women will experience "the baby blues" (not necessarily full postpartum depression) at some point in the first year after giving birth.

One of my friends is dealing with this right now, and it's a little frustrating to sit back and watch her deal with it--because she doesn't want to acknowledge it as a possibility. Major stigma there. When you've wanted your baby forever and had a great birth experience and adore your baby, but you still go through these awful mood swings and feel so angry sometimes... Maybe you curse at your baby, curse at your partner, spend part of every day crying... Is it normal? Yes, very normal if it hits 50-80% of new mothers. That postpartum hormone DROP can be seriously harsh. Is it something you just have to suffer through? I don't think so.

What will you do to prevent PPD after your little one is born? Especially if you don't have the birth experience you want; if you have less-than-ideal support; if you have a colicky baby; if you have a difficult recovery...

Some prevention strategies listed in the link above:
Quote:
  • Get help from husband, dependable friends, and relatives
  • Make friends with other couples who are experienced with child-bearing and rearing
  • Don't overload yourself with unimportant tasks
  • Don't move soon after the baby arrives or make other stressful changes
  • Don't be over concerned with keeping up appearances
  • Get plenty of rest and sleep
  • Don't be a nurse to relatives and others at this time
  • Talk to your husband, family and experienced friends, and discuss your plans and worries
  • Don't give up outside interests, but cut down on responsibilities and rearrange schedules
  • Arrange for baby-sitters early
  • Get a family doctor early
I would add... This may be yet another reason to eat well and exercise during pregnancy, to give your body the strength it needs for postpartum recovery...without sleeping!

What else?

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#2 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, reeeeeaaally? No one else has info on this? Or it's too soon to think about? Or I've hit the taboo subject? 50-80% is a pretty big net. And it hits crunch and non-crunchy alike.

Some more stuff I've read since posting:

- Do whatever you can to get your sleep in at least 3-hr chunks after baby comes. Apparently, that is a magic number to aim for.

- Regularly taking a high-quality [freshwater?] fish oil supplement during pregnancy and continuing postpartum is reported to be a big help.

- Consuming placenta is another thing that is supposed to help, but of course we already have a thread going for that one!

Can find some advice from BTDT moms by doing a search here on MDC for "PPD prevention".

PS If you are one of those few who bounces right back after giving birth, we want to hear what you do!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#3 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 AM

When I was volunteering for a breastfeeding support line, our LC leader was mentioning that two big things are breastfeeding itself (not a cure-all, but helps more than bottle-feeding) and lots of Omega 3s.

I definitely "crashed" a couple of weeks having DD. It was never scary, but wasn't great either. This time, I'm going to limit our traveling around right after the birth (I didn't heal well) and I'm going to take more time off work. Also going to make more of an effort to go to mom and baby playgroups - last time my "getting out" meant the mall, and that's not exactly supportive!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Sorry, no advice here. I think I'm borderline depressed most of the time, so the "baby blues" don't phase me - I sort of feel like I have to do what I have to do regardless of how I'm feeling. Most of the tricks you mentioned just wouldn't help me - DH gets no paid vacation time, so as soon as I'm home from the hospital he'll be back to work. No relatives close except MIL, and while I love her she's relatively useless - we'll be doing good if she can manage to keep all three kids without having a breakdown the 12 hours or so I'm at the hospital delivering. Most of my parenting friends are online - the real life ones that have kids tend to have older ones and don't remember much of the newborn phase, and the few friends going through the newborn phase look to ME for advice since I'm the experienced one. We won't be moving, guess I can mark that off the list, LOL. No appearances to keep up - not like we get a lot of visitors or anything. Sleep - I can't even get a decent night's sleep now (see my other post) so yeah, not happening with a newborn either. No relatives to nurse so we are good there...unless you count my other children/DH. WTH are "outside interests"? LOL Gave those up a long time ago - and the responsibilities I have are going to continue to be here, they aren't things I can let go. Baby-sitter - not likely to happen - even if we could find one willing to watch 4 kids being able to afford them is another story. We already have a pedi so that's taken care of. Supplements I do take when I remember them - I'm horrible about taking pills - and I'm going to have to pass on the placenta eating.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM

I think having a trusted group of helpers is one of the biggest preventions. Let people help you (I've had friends who felt like they had to do it all, and crashed), and don't be afraid to tell them what you need.
I've been to babyshowers where people had a helper sign-up sheet, who would come when, what food they would bring, and what task (laundry, dishes, babysitting) they would preform while there. You could have a close friend/sister/mother be incharge of the schedule. Perhaps have no more than one person a day come over, after the first month.
Sleep! My mom stayed up with DS twice in the first month, so I could get the magic 6 (the amount of sleep needed to stay sane, literally!) It made such a huge difference in how I felt, and most newbies can do this occasionally. My mom did this once at two weeks old, then again at 1 month. It was the only time DS used a pacifier. My mom sayed up with him at our house, in the living room, and every time DS started to wake, she would put the pacifier in and he would settle back to sleep. After about six hours he and I were both ready to have eachother back. It was after this that I learned you need 6 continous hours of sleep to function well, and if not acheived for extended periods of time, you can truly start to "loose it."

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
#6 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM

I had the 'baby blues' for about 6 to 8 months after DS was born. I think what highly contributed to those blues was the fact that I wasn't able to nurse him very long - 3 months - I tried to take it into my own hands, asked what I thought was a close friend for help and she didn't help at all, read as much as I could on it, but nothing seemed to work. Ask DS's ped, but he recommended 20 mins on each breast. My supply was extremely low and I was doing the ever forbidden 'schedule nursing'. We ultimately had to supplement with formula and DS got hooked on that. It broke my heart. Seeing other new mamas able to nurse (3 of them in a room with me at one time at a BBQ) about killed me.

I've now found a support group at a local children's consignment store that I will be attending if I run in to the same problem with baby #2. I also think I'm more willing to ask for help this time around than I was the first time. Again, I wanted to do it all on my own. But now I'll be taking care of a pre-schooler and an NB. It's gonna be an adjustment.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#7 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM

I'm with Nicole, I'm always struggling a little to keep above my normal, which is probably lower than average. I finally broke down after a year and got on meds last time. Smallest dosage and it was just what I needed. This time I'm going to be less stubborn if I need it (I say). The same stress issues seem to be surfacing again this time that are pretty much out of control. My husband (bless him) is applying for jobs in North America so we can hopefully go back at least to that continent by the end of summer. This reminds me so much of last time- all the stress. I just don't know how to not think about it. I seriously was traumatized by his finally getting a job the week I had my DD and we had to accept immediately or the job would be offered to someone else. This time we'll have more breathing room. He has a permanent job here so that will also give us more time to think things through. The universities in N America are more relaxed about their job interviews and offers. I have a fantastic network of mothers here I will hate to leave plus lots of great places to go with DD I can take #2. People are more used to public breastfeeding and so am I. That will help. I'm not looking forward to an international move again, waiting 2 or more months for our things to come, figuring out a new city, etc. And if we go to Canada (the most likely scenario) we'll have yet another set of rules to learn. Ugh. I'm already struggling psychologically. I want to just enjoy my pregnancy. I also want to go nearer to home. My grandmother is likely about to die. She's had a stroke a couple weeks ago and is in hospice. It makes it even harder to be so far away and I feel like I need to be closer to everyone.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#8 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i notice a big difference for me with fish oils even when i'm not pp, so i'll be making sure to take my clo religiously! i'm also considering placenta encapsulation.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#9 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I tried reading about fish oils and cod liver oil today, and it got REALLY confusing for me... The different production processes of different brands and then the possible imbalances if we get too much omega-3 and not enough 9 or 6 or too much 6 and not enough 3 and blah blah blah. So if you've found something that works for you, can you tell us what brand it is and how much you take?

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#10 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
I tried reading about fish oils and cod liver oil today, and it got REALLY confusing for me... The different production processes of different brands and then the possible imbalances if we get too much omega-3 and not enough 9 or 6 or too much 6 and not enough 3 and blah blah blah. So if you've found something that works for you, can you tell us what brand it is and how much you take?
I take Green Pastures Royal Blend. It's actually fermented CLO combined with high-vitamin butter oil. It's pricey, but I notice a big difference in my energy level, mood, etc, when I'm taking it.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#11 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm taking the Omega 3 gummies from Costco/Target... We got them for DD and I started taking them too because they are yummy...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#12 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I'm taking the Omega 3 gummies from Costco/Target... We got them for DD and I started taking them too because they are yummy...
I'm going to have to get those! I stopped taking my fish oil because of the fish burps--no anti-fish burp brand helped...they all made me sick. Now, gummies, I can handle!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#13 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
That's what I've been doing, too. They actually help satisfy the slight sweet tooth I get, so I usually wait until I'm craving sweet and then eat them.

I also add ground flax seed to some foods (like mixed in with granola and yogurt).

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#14 of 20 Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 PM

Oh phew, I thought you all were going to laugh at me for eating gummies. I've actually been tempted to get the calcium ones too...

#15 of 20 Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM

I'm also interested in nutritional supplements I can start taking now and have on hand for afterwards. I also take Blue Ice fermented CLO (not the butter oil blend), but it is so concentrated that I don't feel like I'm getting enough omega 3's from it. I was interested in starting a fish oil, but like you, Tamara, the production method info made my head spin. Does anyone know about a non-fish oil that is great for omega 3's and can be had in a pure, stable form (ie, don't have to worry about it possibly going rancid in the processing)? I'm thinking something like flax or EPO, but I haven't done the research to determine good brands or forms. I know flax should be refrigerated, but beyond that...Obviously, eating wild, fatty fishes on a regular basis is helpful.

Someone mentioned energy level, and I know B vitamins (I get a good shot of them from kombucha) and raw/frozen--or even cooked--organ meats are excellent for energy. Someone called it 'life force', which sounds like it would be great for PP, and very similar to the effects of eating the placenta. So maybe beef liver/heart would be a good supplement. There are also organ pills from Dr. Ron's that are supposed to be great, but pricey.

Also, avoiding sugar and flour should help if you're not already doing that. Constant battle for me.

#16 of 20 Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I take Green Pastures Royal Blend. It's actually fermented CLO combined with high-vitamin butter oil. It's pricey, but I notice a big difference in my energy level, mood, etc, when I'm taking it.
I've been reading about this one since you posted; it sounds great, and ME WANT! I love that it doesn't have synthetic vitamins added back in, so I don't have to be concerned about getting too much synthetic Vitamin A (it's already in my multivitamin and in my calcium supplement).

I didn't even KNOW about butter oil, but now it sounds like I almost shouldn't even bother to take CLO without it?!

My concern is getting it to Brazil in a cost-effective manner. If it winds up being too too expensive, I know I'm going to do that stupid thing I do where I try to "save" it in the fridge until eventually it goes to waste.

Quote:
I had my older daughter on the Dr Sears' brand omega-3s for a while. They were really good, and easy to chew or swallow. My toddler liked them, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I'm also interested in nutritional supplements I can start taking now and have on hand for afterwards. I also take Blue Ice fermented CLO (not the butter oil blend), but it is so concentrated that I don't feel like I'm getting enough omega 3's from it. I was interested in starting a fish oil, but like you, Tamara, the production method info made my head spin. Does anyone know about a non-fish oil that is great for omega 3's and can be had in a pure, stable form (ie, don't have to worry about it possibly going rancid in the processing)? I'm thinking something like flax or EPO, but I haven't done the research to determine good brands or forms. I know flax should be refrigerated, but beyond that...Obviously, eating wild, fatty fishes on a regular basis is helpful.

Someone mentioned energy level, and I know B vitamins (I get a good shot of them from kombucha) and raw/frozen--or even cooked--organ meats are excellent for energy. Someone called it 'life force', which sounds like it would be great for PP, and very similar to the effects of eating the placenta. So maybe beef liver/heart would be a good supplement. There are also organ pills from Dr. Ron's that are supposed to be great, but pricey.

Also, avoiding sugar and flour should help if you're not already doing that. Constant battle for me.
I buy ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil capsules to put in smoothies sometimes. Otherwise, I usually buy a whole grain bread that includes flaxseed, and that's as much as I know about it so far!

Evening Primrose Oil, I have but am staying away from -- isn't it used to stimulate labor?

I've never tried any kind of organ meat... My husband eats chicken hearts but says liver is gross, and I'm squeamish of even regular cuts of meat while pregnant...

I feel like this is all really very over my head!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#17 of 20 Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I'm also interested in nutritional supplements I can start taking now and have on hand for afterwards. I also take Blue Ice fermented CLO (not the butter oil blend), but it is so concentrated that I don't feel like I'm getting enough omega 3's from it. I was interested in starting a fish oil, but like you, Tamara, the production method info made my head spin.
Wouldn't the concentration help there be more omega 3s in each serving?

Personally, I feel comfortable with GP's fermented CLO because of all of the information he gives about the processing, because it's waaaay higher in IUs than anything you can buy in the HFS, and because it's one of the ones WAP recommends (and I think they only recommend two).

You definitely have to do what works for you though.

Quote:
Does anyone know about a non-fish oil that is great for omega 3's and can be had in a pure, stable form (ie, don't have to worry about it possibly going rancid in the processing)? I'm thinking something like flax or EPO, but I haven't done the research to determine good brands or forms. I know flax should be refrigerated, but beyond that...Obviously, eating wild, fatty fishes on a regular basis is helpful.
I wouldn't take EPO now. It's used to help ripen your cervix, and my mw's have always had me take it in the last four weeks of pregnancy.

Quote:
I thought you're not supposed to drink kombucha while you're pg. I'd love to be wrong about that one!

I haven't reached the point where I can eat organ meats yet, but I do put all of the chicken organs in the pot when I make broth or stock. It tastes better, and it adds a good vitamin kick to it!

I love a warm cup of chicken broth in the morning! Not that I've been drinking it as much as I should...

Quote:
Ugh, me too! I battle a major sugar addiction, because I ate really, really, really bad food growing up. It is soooo hard to avoid!

Quote:
I've been reading about this one since you posted; it sounds great, and ME WANT! I love that it doesn't have synthetic vitamins added back in, so I don't have to be concerned about getting too much synthetic Vitamin A (it's already in my multivitamin and in my calcium supplement).

I didn't even KNOW about butter oil, but now it sounds like I almost shouldn't even bother to take CLO without it?!

My concern is getting it to Brazil in a cost-effective manner. If it winds up being too too expensive, I know I'm going to do that stupid thing I do where I try to "save" it in the fridge until eventually it goes to waste.
Yes, I LOVE that there are no synthetic vitamins added in!

I took CLO for a long time w/o the butter oil, and I felt a difference, physically and mentally. So, I definitely wouldn't write it off altogether. I actually just started taking the blend a few weeks ago, because I wanted to see how big of a difference it really made. I honestly haven't decided yet, but regardless, with my Brewer and traditional foods ideologies, it just makes sense to me, kwim? I consider butter to be a good fat, so I figure that I might as well be getting all of the vitamins from the oil.

This is the coordinator for the WAP chapter in Brazil: http://www.westonaprice.org/localcha...ex.html#brazil Maybe you can contact him and find out about the best means of getting CLO down there.

#18 of 20 Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Evening Primrose Oil, I have but am staying away from -- isn't it used to stimulate labor?
It was my understanding that EPO will help soften/ripen the cervix, but wouldn't put you into actual labor. At least it never has for me, and I've used it the last 4-6 weeks vaginally for my last two pregnancies.

#19 of 20 Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
This is the coordinator for the WAP chapter in Brazil: http://www.westonaprice.org/localcha...ex.html#brazil Maybe you can contact him and find out about the best means of getting CLO down there.
Oh, wow! Thanks!!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#20 of 20 Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 AM

RJ, the vits in FCLO are concentrated due to the fermentation, but since omega 3's are the actual fats, you would have to have a lot more of the oil itself to get more omega 3's...if I understand correctly!

I've been drinking kombucha throughout the pg. I don't think that's a problem if you're used to it from beforehand. Only prob is with amalgam fillings, AFAIK.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page