Measuring big? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went in for my mw appointment today and she said my fundal height is measuring pretty big....I think she said I'm measuring as though I'm 25.5 weeks instead of 22.5! She wants me to get another ultrasound in a couple weeks to make sure he's measuring okay and to check for too much amniotic fluid. Anyone else been told they're much bigger than they should be? Everything turn out okay?

We're very sure of my dates, I've had 3 ultrasounds already w/ this pregnancy (several reasons in the beginning for having 2 early u/s, but everything was fine) and they all showed everything to be fine and my due date stayed the same through them.

I guess if I'm not getting an u/s for another two weeks, there must not be much of a rush to figure out why I'm measuring big! I know in my head that everything is probably fine, but I've been much more paranoid after my losses. Just tell me I'm fine and to stop worrying, lol.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#2 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM

At my 22 week appt (exactly 22 weeks), I measured 26.5 cm. My OB said that she wasn't worried about it. I remember measuring big with ds, but they started measuring earlier, this is the first time my OB measured, and I think by this point (with ds), I was measuring pretty close. I don't remember what I measured with dd, but I am sure that if I measured that far ahead, I would remember, so I must have measured about right.

I had a friend who measured big, and she had too much amniotic fluid. Baby was fine, there was just a concern that if her water broke before baby was engaged, she might wind up with a cord prolapse. It didn't happen, though.

I don't know what other things might cause you to measure big, but I haven't really worried about it... What will be will be and my worrying about it won't make a difference...
#3 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM

I measured big with both boys.

DS1 came at 36.0 weeks and was 6lbs 140 oz, so not too big.

DS2 I had polyhydraminos (too much fluid) and went into labor with him at 36.3 weeks, he was 7lbs 3 oz and I had my water broken with him after 12 hours of labor so they could position him off his cord to prevent prolapse.

If you have polyhydraminos, it's usually totally fine. My dr, said that 70% of cases are asymptomatic.

This is my first baby measuring normal! I'm hoping he'll cook at least 38 weeks!!
#4 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Well I haven't technically even been measured yet, but at my 18.5 week ultrasound the baby was quite big...1.5 times the weight of the average baby at that time. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since your other ultrasounds were fine. After a certain point, measuring fundal height can be kinda inaccurate, so I'm told. Good luck!!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#5 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM

My fundus has been measuring 4 weeks ahead for about 2 months or so. My midwives aren't concerned, as long as things stay reasonably consistent. I measured a little ahead/big with DS, who was born 3 days late at 8 lbs 15 oz (but I was pushing the Brewer diet hard with that pregnancy, so his "bigness" could be attributed to that, too). This pregnancy, my u/s dated me to within a week of my dates, and they didn't change my due date as a result. I'm just rolling with it unless someone tells me to start worrying!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM

I haven't really been measured yet, but at my last ultrasound, the baby was bigger than normal....normal for that age being a little under a pound and our baby being one pound, 7 ounces....

No one seemed very concerned. I have had the feeling that this baby might come the end of January instead of early February, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. No one has actually measured my fundus or used the tape or anything on me.

Should I be concerned?

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#7 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I measured big at my last appointment too--measured around 25 cm when I was 22 weeks. The midwives weren't overly concerned, said we'd monitor and see where things go from here, but I found it unsettling. Especially because everyone (midwives too) comments that I'm not very big yet, and I have yet to gain any real weight, so I don't know where the heck the baby is hiding or getting his/her mass from! I mean, I'm not worried about it, but it just doesn't add up, ya know?

I think we'll just keep an eye on how things progress from here. I am using it as an excuse to make sure I take my walk every day after lunch at work (I'm too prone to working through lunch otherwise, in an effort to get home before 8 pm).

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#8 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 AM

I was measuring 26 cm at 24 weeks. In my case we are assuming a large baby - baby was measuring 19 weeks at my 17 week 5 day u/s and DS was 9 pounds at 38 weeks. By the end with him I was consistently measuring a month ahead and he was measuring 2-3 weeks ahead (except his head, which measured a month ahead always, we Senadenoses grow big-headed babies).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry a lot about it - it could be that baby is bigger, it could be how baby is laying, it may simply be that you have been a mommy already so everything is stretched out...

In most cases it is absolutely nothing to worry about - even if baby is on the bigger side the whole adage of "you won't grow a baby you can't birth" is true for most people. I'm one of the exceptions to that (9 pounds, especially with the ginormous heads we grow, is my limit - DS barely made it out) so I'll likely have an u/s around the first of the year and if baby is measuring bigger than DS was we'll probably talk induction. I'm hoping if he's big as well that he decides to come out on his own before that time.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#9 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to clarify that I'm actually not at all concerned about having a baby that is "too big". My DD was 5lbs. 14oz. and I just don't think I make big babies, no woman in my family has. I guess I'm more concerned about having too much amniotic fluid or some other strange problem. But I just need to take everyone's advice and not worry. Nothing I can change.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#10 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ememers View Post
I measured big at my last appointment too--measured around 25 cm when I was 22 weeks. The midwives weren't overly concerned, said we'd monitor and see where things go from here, but I found it unsettling. Especially because everyone (midwives too) comments that I'm not very big yet, and I have yet to gain any real weight, so I don't know where the heck the baby is hiding or getting his/her mass from! I mean, I'm not worried about it, but it just doesn't add up, ya know?
Emily, is this munchkin your first? Do you have a retroverted uterus? Do you have a long torso?? Just asking, because all of those things can cause a woman to seem "not that big." My uterus is tipped back, and I have a long torso, so I hide babies pretty well. At the birth of my DS, the nurses were shocked he was 9'1" and 23inches. They all were talking about how well I hid such a big baby. So, in any case, your body is certainly able to hide babies in there somewhere without it being any kind of serious issue!!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#11 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
In most cases it is absolutely nothing to worry about - even if baby is on the bigger side the whole adage of "you won't grow a baby you can't birth" is true for most people. I'm one of the exceptions to that (9 pounds, especially with the ginormous heads we grow, is my limit - DS barely made it out) so I'll likely have an u/s around the first of the year and if baby is measuring bigger than DS was we'll probably talk induction. I'm hoping if he's big as well that he decides to come out on his own before that time.
I'm really hoping this baby descides to come out earlier on his own as well. I think this one will be larger than our first (9'1", 23 in--can't remember head circ, but we also make large headed babies--my hubby and I were both called "fat heads" as children and still share that name!). Do you plan on taking any supplements/teas to help soften and encourage delivery?

#12 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabus View Post
I'm really hoping this baby descides to come out earlier on his own as well. I think this one will be larger than our first (9'1", 23 in--can't remember head circ, but we also make large headed babies--my hubby and I were both called "fat heads" as children and still share that name!). Do you plan on taking any supplements/teas to help soften and encourage delivery?
I haven't decided yet. With my first I just walked a lot, ate a ton of fresh pineapple and spicy food. With my second I added EPO to the routine - orally and vaginally - not sure if it helped any. With my third I did the EPO plus cohosh - I can't remember now if it was the blue or black variety and it was a gradually increased dose as recommended by a friend's midwife (my OB was ok with it, his basic feeling is that anything natural is ok because he's not convinced it will do anything that your body wasn't ready to do anyways). I am just not a tea drinker, so RRL tea is sort of out for me. I'm not sure if it all of it made a difference or not - I was 5 cm dilated and 80% effaced when I checked in for my induction last time - but not in labor. I've heard good things about 5W - debating whether to try that this time or not. The only thing my OB is against is castor oil - though if I'm looking at pitocin again I may go against medical advice and give it a go...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#13 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I've heard good things about 5W - debating whether to try that this time or not. The only thing my OB is against is castor oil - though if I'm looking at pitocin again I may go against medical advice and give it a go...
What's 5W?? And.... I drank castor oil twice with my first... Didn't do a darn thing, and didn't cause my son to have meconium in his lungs, amniotic fluid, etc. But I won't do it this time. It was absolutely disgusting and only cleared me out (polite way of saying it!) and gave me cramps--no contractions. I haven't drank RRL tea, but I can't imagine it's any worse than castor oil!

#14 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
What's 5W?? And.... I drank castor oil twice with my first... Didn't do a darn thing, and didn't cause my son to have meconium in his lungs, amniotic fluid, etc. But I won't do it this time. It was absolutely disgusting and only cleared me out (polite way of saying it!) and gave me cramps--no contractions. I haven't drank RRL tea, but I can't imagine it's any worse than castor oil!
It's a pregnancy supplement that is supposed to help make labor and delivery faster and easier: http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/nsp/5-w.htm You are supposed to wait until the last month because I guess some of the herbs can cause labor. Another mom I know online had her midwife use it and claims that it worked for her - it is kind of hard to find though, I've only seen it online.

My OB is anti-castor oil because he says that the "cleaning out" process can leave you dehydrated, which isn't a very safe way to go into labor...I have heard some moms swear by it and others that had a similar experience to what you did where it did nothing short of making them poop.

#15 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks! Hmmmm..... I'm looking in to it too!

#16 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 AM

At my last appt (I was 23 weeks), I was measuring 25.5 weeks. For me, there was concern over GD, since I had gained something like 6-8 pounds in 5 weeks (depends on who's scale you go by). Also, my last baby did this and was 11.2 pounds and 23.25 inches, though I tested neg for GD then. So I started watching my carbs and blood sugars at home and we'll see how it turns out at my next appt. Up to now I'd been measuring just fine.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#17 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Emily, is this munchkin your first? Do you have a retroverted uterus? Do you have a long torso?? Just asking, because all of those things can cause a woman to seem "not that big." My uterus is tipped back, and I have a long torso, so I hide babies pretty well. At the birth of my DS, the nurses were shocked he was 9'1" and 23inches. They all were talking about how well I hid such a big baby. So, in any case, your body is certainly able to hide babies in there somewhere without it being any kind of serious issue!!
Yes, this is my first, but no, I actually have a super short torso. No idea if I have a retroverted uterus but I've never been told that, so maybe not? Anyway, I'm not really worried about not being very big yet, and clearly there is plenty of baby in there anyway, so I'm just going with the flow. It just boggles my mind a little bit when I think about it too much.

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#18 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post
At my last appt (I was 23 weeks), I was measuring 25.5 weeks. For me, there was concern over GD, since I had gained something like 6-8 pounds in 5 weeks (depends on who's scale you go by). Also, my last baby did this and was 11.2 pounds and 23.25 inches, though I tested neg for GD then. So I started watching my carbs and blood sugars at home and we'll see how it turns out at my next appt. Up to now I'd been measuring just fine.
Wow! Now that's a big baby! When is your next appointment? I am guessing I've gained 6-8 pounds in these last 5 weeks, but I remember that happened in my first pregnancy and they never said anything about GD, just started to worry about pre-e.

#19 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Wow! Now that's a big baby! When is your next appointment? I am guessing I've gained 6-8 pounds in these last 5 weeks, but I remember that happened in my first pregnancy and they never said anything about GD, just started to worry about pre-e.
I just had an appt about a week ago, and my mw wanted me to come in two weeks after because of it. Once I agreed to check my blood sugar at home several times a day, she agreed to let me check in instead of scheduling another appt. My blood pressure has been great, but GD and pre-e are interrelated too. I guess she's more freaked out because I had a huge baby before with another mw who she doesn't know, can't ask q's. Just taking my word for everything. Of course, if she had asked the last mw, all would be blamed on me. She claims I did it to myself by eating too much protein, which I disagree with - I only gained 17# with the pg. As a person, I really liked my mw, but I got a lot of flack about stuff and was "blamed" for a lot of things. I didn't really feel like there was a supportive relationship built. We've since moved, so I've had the chance to meet other mw's now.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. And yes, he was huge. I had no idea. Both the mw and doula thought maybe 8-9# for the last baby, until the very end. When I went in @ 39 weeks, I was measuring 45 cm. That's when another mw who saw me warned me it may be more like 10-10.5#. If I remember right, the mw's (between themselves) speculated more like 11# but didn't want to scare me. Rightfully so....it was hard enough having him NOT knowing he was monstrous!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page