"It ain't nothin' but a sling thing..." - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this hasn't been exhausted on another thread in the Feb due date club (and I tend not to go anywhere else on the MDC message board at this time), but I would love some perspectives on your top slings. Specifically, I am thinking about the sling options for the newborn. We have the Moby wrap, and although functional, it was like doing origami every time we got it out, and I just got frustrated and I couldn't imagine being by myself, say, at the pedis, or if I had to run an errand, sitting in the parking lot constructing a Moby creation. I am not sure we will even pull it out with this baby.

I got a ring sling later on and that was okay, but I felt like it may have been too big as the cloth slipped out of the ring a lot.

We also used the baby bjorn later on, but still didn't feel it was "it."

I guess I am just looking to see what slings/baby wearing options you all felt worked particularly well in those first weeks. And then perhaps some perspective on ones later on. (And before anyone recommends sewing my own, just know I would have to take a pair of socks to a tailor in order to fix a hole, so that is never an option! Ha!)

Thanks in advance!

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm no expert, but I've used my mei tai from very early on with no problems. I never felt secure with a sling - I don't think the one I had was the right size (it was a padded ring sling) and there's not a babywearing store or anything around here that I know of where I could get fitting assistance. The mei tai was adjustable, compact, and I could put it on before leaving the house so all I had to do was pop baby in it when we got to our destination. The only thing that I would consider to be a negative is that it can be a little difficult to BF an itty bitty in it - around 2-3 months when they have better head control that gets easier, and I got to the point where I could BF and walk around the store without anyone noticing with a little practice (nursing camis work great for that!). I don't tend to go out much in the first two months anyways, so that's not a huge downside for me, but if you like to be out and about a sling might be easier for BFing...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#3 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I have a friend passing on her Moby to me, which is magnificent. I will try to use it - I DO tend to be all-thumbs so it's possible I won't use it as much as some people do.

I have an Ergo from DD, and used that so much. I am going to buy the new infant insert to go with that, and it'll make it more or less like a mei tei. I suspect that's what we'll use the most.

I also own two Hotslings and tried to use them when DD was wee, but she never got comfy in them. They were a great option for when she was big enough for a hip carry though, and they ended up getting a lot of use because they were easy to shove in a bag.

If I was buying right now though - I'd probably shell out for either a soft structured like a Beco or Piccolo, which is constructed to accommodate a newborn as well as an older child, or a mei tei like a BabyHawk. Other than the nursing issue, they're supposed to be a great option.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

#4 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
I have a friend passing on her Moby to me, which is magnificent. I will try to use it - I DO tend to be all-thumbs so it's possible I won't use it as much as some people do.

I have an Ergo from DD, and used that so much. I am going to buy the new infant insert to go with that, and it'll make it more or less like a mei tei. I suspect that's what we'll use the most.

I also own two Hotslings and tried to use them when DD was wee, but she never got comfy in them. They were a great option for when she was big enough for a hip carry though, and they ended up getting a lot of use because they were easy to shove in a bag.

If I was buying right now though - I'd probably shell out for either a soft structured like a Beco or Piccolo, which is constructed to accommodate a newborn as well as an older child, or a mei tei like a BabyHawk. Other than the nursing issue, they're supposed to be a great option.
I just wore the Moby most of the day,wether the babe was in it or not. This wasn't so great in summer time then, so in warmer months I used a regular ring sling.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 03:55 PM

My absolute favorite, couldn't-live-without-it during the first year was the mei tai, and during the second year was the Ergo. I also got lots of use out of my ring sling, especially the first year.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
My absolute favorite, couldn't-live-without-it during the first year was the mei tai, and during the second year was the Ergo. I also got lots of use out of my ring sling, especially the first year.
Same exact here!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#7 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM

According to the research I've done I think I'd like to go with the Ergo w/ infant insert. I've got my mom scouring consignment shops in Canada for a second hand and I'm searching online.
If I can find my way to a fabric store I think I'd even buy t-shirt material to make a moby-type carrier because according to the tutorial I found you don't even have to sew!!! I've heard it can be nice to have options...

I'll be reading this thread though, with interest, so continue ...

My family = me + dh & ds +
#8 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 PM

I mostly used the Moby for the very young months. I'd put it on before we left the house and then just take the baby out of the carseat and into the Moby. When we left the store or where ever, I'd leave the Moby on and put her back into it when we got to our next destination. I can see how it would be a pain to take it off and put it on every time there was another stop, though.

My sister has one called a Baby K'Tan (I think that's how it's spelled). It works like a Moby, but it's kind of sewn into a pre-wrapped state. She puts it on over her head and then adjusts it and puts the baby in. There is a separate piece that you tie around you once the baby's in, but I know she doesn't use it very often. She says it feels secure enough without it. But her baby is very calm and doesn't wiggle around much once he's in.
#9 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM

I bought an Ergo and the infant insert. I also bought a Sweet Pea ring sling which is adorable. This is my first baby so I have no clue how they will work out but I have heard good things about both of them. These and some cloth diapers are the only things I have purchased so far because I know I won't get them at my shower.

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#10 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I read this recently: Safe Positioning in Slings

Basically, just be careful to try to avoid baby's chin touching his/her chest. When I use a pouch sling (New Native) with a newborn, I fold a blanket and put behind baby's neck/back.

I have a mei tai, which I LOVE but have only used with my toddler. I have a hip-carrying sling that buckles together (can't remember the name), but I don't like it. I've always used a pouch sling for the newborn period, but just discovered I didn't keep mine when we moved to Brazil -- I only kept my husband's! Mobys are everywhere right now... I don't really like the way they look (I want one with a hip, patterned fabric) but am thinking I might just buy some fabric and call it a Moby, as opposed to sewing a new pouch sling. (I'm tired of sewing!)

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#11 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Last time all I had for the first few months was a snugli, and it worked well enough. I don't think it would work this time because I will have a toddler to chase after. I am super excited about using my homemade moby (just a piece of fabric like PP said). I plan on putting on at home and then just leaving it on while we are out and about.

I also want to get a ring sling, one of my friends swears by hers and I've seen her using it comfortably with her new baby. I can check which brand she has if you'd like.

Otherwise, I think the k'tan would be a good option for you. I haven't used one, but they look so cozy and comfortable.

Mama to three

#12 of 16 Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM

I have been wearing DD#1 since she was born & still wearing while preg...I was also certified in the basic babywearing instructor course & got to try many, many carriers...by no means an expert, but definitely well versed & learning more everyday.

My favorite for a newborn is a MT. Babyhawk makes a great one that is also accessible to the public. If you really want to get "into" it, head over to www.babywearer.com & read more about Kindercarry MTs (Mel is making me a custom for our new baby right now) and some of the other very popular ones out there. The FSOT board there is also a great place to start.
I live where we have to drive places so I find the MT easier than a wrap.

Once my newborn is getting bigger BUT not too heavy, can support their head & are happy on my hip, I do love a ringsling. Rockin' Baby Slings are nice and Jan over at Sleeping Baby Productions (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/) makes wonderful slings that get raves from true slingin' mamas.

At this point, I also start using my MT for back carries which takes practice but is awesome. I also like a SSC carrier or a half buckle carrier for this point on as well because of the weight of the baby. As the baby gets heavier, I find the buckle, padded waist of a SSC to be sooooo supportive & truly allows me to wear for hours without even thinking twice. There are tons of SSCs out there and many Mama's have mentioned some here. Babyhawk has the Oh Snap coming out anyday now (this month!). I really like Kangas (www.bloo-kangaroo.com) and a Kinderpack but they are both harder to get right now custom. Beco's, Angelpacks & many others are very popular. I know Ergo's are also popular but I tried one on & wasn't comfortable after a few mins. I also have heard tons of Mama's say that the Ergo pushed their pants down which can be sooooo annoying.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#13 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! What a lot of great info. I think I may look into the Mei Tai or the Ergo--it is hard because they are so expensive (especially the organic ones), but someone reminded me to look at consignment! I may check out cragislist and ebay, too. And knowing tihs is probably our last baby...but I guess I could always resell? I also feel a bit torn because I do have the Moby and the ring sling, but really just don't like them.

Perhaps Santa will bring me one.

You ladies always come through with such great advice. And the babywearer.com link was awesome. Thanks!

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#14 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM

for the mei tai, too! I can't wait to use it again. I do have a peanut shell sling that I bought as well that I am going to give a try for early on, maybe, but I have a feeling that I got it too big - Medium - but we'll see.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#15 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM

I am sort of a baby wearing junkie... I am so excited to get a Sakura Bloom Sling this time, I will probably rotate between that and the Moby wrap when the babe is tiny .. I love my Beco and Mei tai too. But those are more for outings and the sling and the moby I wear all day everyday... I really try to do the whole inside for nine months worn for the next nine... usually by that time my babes are itching to get down. lol
#16 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM

FWIW, I was still using my Ergo with DD (3.75 at the time) in the spring. Granted she's small.. but still. Definitely worth the investment. I would LOVE to get something more funky, like a BabyHawk, but to be honest, although they're different, they're not different ENOUGH to buy that when I already have a serviceable Ergo.. kwim?

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page