Playing music, singing, talking, etc., - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often are you doing these things for your baby? Putting headphones or earbuds up to your belly? Singing songs to your baby or just in general? Talking to him or her when they move or calling them by the name that you and your DP have chosen?

I sing in the car almost daily and a couple of times when I have, Will makes little nudges here and there. I'm not sure if he's enjoying it or wanting his mama to stop singing! LOL But I haven't put headphones to my belly just yet like I did with DS.

I talk to him on a daily basis - especially after a big kick or when it's quiet in the office or in my car.

I wonder about this too - can they feel you patting your belly? I'm sure their is some sort of vibration that is carried to the womb, wouldn't you think? We all do this to my belly - moreso DS. He loves patting and hugging my belly.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
How often are you doing these things for your baby?
Ummm....never! At least not intentionally! But I can guarantee he/she hears PLENTY of noise!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#3 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM

I talk to him a lot and sing to him. We have a lot of conversations - I talk, he moves. Garrin does sometimes, too. Actually, Garrin's favorite is to blow raspberries on my tummy and then feel him kick.

I play with him a lot, too. When he kicks, I'll cover or push back on that spot and he'll kick back or move to the side and kick so I'll follow. I definitely know he can feel it when I pat him/my belly.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#4 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Usually just a "hey you, do you mind putting that foot back down it's hurting mommy" Baby hears plenty of noise in this house.

I do imagine that they can feel you patting your belly - at least this little man gets all squirmy whenever daddy starts poking around on my belly...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM

I talk to her almost everyday and sing/play music alot too. I don't put headphones on my belly though....babies can hear noise without that!

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#6 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A couple of weeks ago we played some Sigur Ros for Malachi with some headphones and he seemed to enjoy it. I haven't really had much time lately but DH keeps saying we need to some more. DH talks to him every day through the belly and I talk/pat him a whole lot in the day. I think I touch him more than audibly talk to him. He responds to a lot of noises in every day life now though so that is fun.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#7 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I talk to my baby regularly. Sometimes out loud and sometimes in my head. But then again I also talk to my dogs- full one sided conversations all the time- yet the dogs actually do seem to understand a lot of what I say and respond, though they can't talk back.
But as for the baby- I am musically inclined. So I naturally sing a lot or play music and I like to think the baby listens. I try to get dh to talk to the baby more than he does though my dh isn't a huge talker in general. But he more says- hi baby, how are you doing? And leaves it at that unless I ask him to do more.
I think putting headphones on my belly would feel too loud though. I listen to music a lot and think the baby can hear. I am hoping my baby is also musical as I am , but my husband isn't- and I really would love to have someone in my family to play music with! We'll see how that goes.
#8 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Ummm....never! At least not intentionally! But I can guarantee he/she hears PLENTY of noise!
Lol! Glad I'm not the only one...my answer exactly! With my first I probably did....but with 2 boys running me around all the time now, when there is a moment of quiet, I try to make it last as long as I can!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#9 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
Lol! Glad I'm not the only one...my answer exactly! With my first I probably did....but with 2 boys running me around all the time now, when there is a moment of quiet, I try to make it last as long as I can!
LOL, exactly!! I figure I'm doing this baby a much BIGGER favor in seeking out moments of SILENCE for him/her to enjoy!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#10 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 PM

I mostly just tell him/her to calm down, as it seems he/she is kicking constantly! Baby gets really active when I sing or read to DS, and I also play the piano almost daily. When I go to bed and baby is so active I can't sleep, he/she usually calms right down when DH talks soothingly and rubs to my belly. My parents call him the baby whisperer I just hope it works as well when baby is on the outside!

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#11 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 PM

Well, here's a thread I can feel good about . I'm a professional singer, so she hears a lot of singing from me and when I'm teaching, my students. I play piano- not exactly a concert pianist but OK. My husband has taken his French horn back out since he's joining an orchestra (for fun). He also plays piano. So we're good on the music front. I think they can hear a lot. When DD says "hi baby!" to my tummy, the baby kicks. It's pretty awesome. I love it. We probably have too much music around. I can say DD is definitely very musically inclined, but who knows if that was from exposure or whatnot? We have people in our families who are not musical at all.

I'd be reeeally cautious about the headphones. It can get too loud with the fluid in there amplifying everything. I read once it wasn't a good idea, so I skipped it.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#12 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 PM

We get plenty of noise here with the toddler...

We all talk to baby, and I notice baby especially responds when he/she hears my husband's voice when he comes home.

Rubbing the belly -- from early on, this baby has responded to touch. If I poke around, I can wake baby up. If I find baby's back, he/she will stay still while I rub up and down his/her spine -- and then will start moving again when I stop!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#13 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM

Music: We went to a very loud rock concert a couple of weeks ago. The little boy kicked around for a while.

Rubbing/patting: oh, I think they feel it. My little man responds to any pressure (including me crossing my arms and resting them on my belly. He definitely kicks back when he gets patted or poked. I also comment when he kicks and he kicks more.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page