Show us what you've bought or made or gotten as gifts for the baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone would be into a thread like this but I got the idea from another pregnant forum I am on from the UK. People just post pictures of the cute things they have gotten for their coming baby on the thread that they want to share. We'll see if anyone is interested in this or the thread will just fade.
I don't have anything to post yet- as all I have literally are two items of clothing for the baby. But I just purchased a pram- I am so excited- which will arrive in a week or so in the mail. So I would post a photo of that when it does.
anyone want to share their cute strollers, cribs, slings, baby clothes, new diapers, nursery things (if you have one) or anything else cute for the baby that you are excited about? Or anything you have made for the baby? I know my sister in law in sewing my baby a quilt so I can put that up when it is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, I really didn't have to buy much for this baby except for clothing...

But here's some of the stuff I got at the resales a couple of months ago...

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009...810597335M.jpg
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009...811038535M.jpg

And his coming home outfit...

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009...811052617M.jpg

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#3 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

NicoleS cute! You have lots of good clothes ready for him.

so far I have one pair of pants and one "sweet pea" type onesie thing
#4 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Well, since I'm not anticipating anyone buying anything for us (no showers being #4) I sort of buy when the opportunity strikes. Every fall and spring the local PTAs put on mom-to-mom sales and I can usually find good deals that way. I think I spent less than $40 and got his entire 0-3 wardrobe we'll need.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cute Nicole. Little clothes are soo cute!

I'll play tomorrow - have to take pictures first. I have only bought two outfits and my son picked out this cute little toy blanket. I am about to buy an armoire (then curtains and a little rug)! Grandmas are knitting things for baby. And I am hoping my sister and bil pass on their crib to me I will know next weekend.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#6 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM

I don't have any pictures to post yet, but I am going to make the baby a quilt - so I will post once I do that. I haven't bought much for this baby b/c if it's a boy, I won't need much and I don't want to buy girl stuff if it's not a girl! I did buy a (used) summery pouch/sling today. It is apparently SPF material and it dries super quickly.

Mama to three

#7 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Cute clothes, Nicole! I love the little polar bear shirt for coming home.

I've slowly been getting together a stash of clothes and diapers for this little guy, mostly through thrift stores, sewing and hand-me-downs (and OMG did I rock the $1.99 rack at a Children's Place outlet on a recent road trip!). I don't have pictures of most of it, but I do have a "brag" set on Flickr where I post my handmades for him. I also guided my MIL toward a gift I wanted for him on Etsy, this, in the letters of his name, to hang over his little crib in my room. She bought it and says it looks nice.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#8 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM

I don't have any pictures (yet, but really need to!) but have bought some things...

I went to a round of large fall consignment sales and for (gulp) about $500 I bought over $2000 worth of baby clothes (and a few pairs of shoes) in like-new condition - sizes ranging up through 12 months old since there were some deals and cute outfits I just couldn't pass up.

I have 1/3 of the BumGenius diapers I need to get. I have two small blankets, a small bath towel and some wash cloths. I just ordered some crib bedding so I can start to figure out paint for the nursery. We scored an awesome hardly-used Maclaren Quest stroller off craigslist for less than half the full price (even though this won't be used for months and months!). I snagged a basically brand-new hotsling at one of the consignment sales for about $15. Oh, and when traveling in Germany earlier in the month I picked up a winter hat and a couple of wooden hand toys. I also have a bunch of books from my childhood.

I have made one burp cloth with fat quarters and terry cloth to make many more and will be picking up some organic terry cloth to make a bunch of cloth wipes.

Hmmm... seems like so much more when I type it out than look at everything I still want to get!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#9 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 PM

We haven't really bought much for this baby, but I have been sewing and knitting like crazy. Most of the knitting was on the knit items thread that was up a bit ago. Our big purchase is a swivel/gliding chair for our living room, but it has not arrived yet. Most of the knit things are on this blog post. I have also made burp cloths, several pairs of shoes, a mei tai (on the above blog post), and a new cover for an old bouncy seat. I just had to make the girly shoes (above) even though we don't know the sex. That will probably be about it for baby for now and if it turns out to be a girl we will get some girly things later on

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#10 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM

I will have to take some more pictures - hopefully tonight. I have pretty much finished the nursery. Not sure how much time the baby will spend in there, but the room was already empty and painted my favorite color (aqua) because I had been trying to put together a fun home office before I got pregnant. I got a white crib (gift from the ILs) and bought white bedding with a little bit of red. I refinished a vintage dresser I bought of craigslist and I hung up some shelves (still need to hang 2 more) to display some of my old toys as well as some other vintage stuff I have picked up at thrift stores (including a neat crib mobile from the 60's).

I am in the process of making quilted wall hangings out of DH's old cross stitched baby quilt. I cant' wait to see it all put together.

For now, here is one pictures I had saved on my computer. The refinished dresser. I just sanded out some serious scratches and dings and gave it a fresh coat of paint. The (cleaned up) hardware is all original.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...resser-1-1.jpg
#11 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Cute clothes, Nicole! I love the little polar bear shirt for coming home.

I've slowly been getting together a stash of clothes and diapers for this little guy, mostly through thrift stores, sewing and hand-me-downs (and OMG did I rock the $1.99 rack at a Children's Place outlet on a recent road trip!). I don't have pictures of most of it, but I do have a "brag" set on Flickr where I post my handmades for him. I also guided my MIL toward a gift I wanted for him on Etsy, this, in the letters of his name, to hang over his little crib in my room. She bought it and says it looks nice.
I love that wave sweater!

#12 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
We haven't really bought much for this baby, but I have been sewing and knitting like crazy. Most of the knitting was on the knit items thread that was up a bit ago. Our big purchase is a swivel/gliding chair for our living room, but it has not arrived yet. Most of the knit things are on this blog post. I have also made burp cloths, several pairs of shoes, a mei tai (on the above blog post), and a new cover for an old bouncy seat. I just had to make the girly shoes (above) even though we don't know the sex. That will probably be about it for baby for now and if it turns out to be a girl we will get some girly things later on
Ooh, love it all! Drooling over the shoes. Might steal your idea about recovering bouncy seat.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#13 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
Wow. I am in awe of your skills! It makes me want to take up knitting again (although I can only do scarves). And the mei tai is amazing--do you sell any of your stuff on etsy or anything?

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#14 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
Wow. I am in awe of your skills! It makes me want to take up knitting again (although I can only do scarves). And the mei tai is amazing--do you sell any of your stuff on etsy or anything?
Thanks and no I don't sell anything because most of the patterns I use are copyrighted. Also, there is something about making things for my own kiddos that makes it special, and I feel like it would loose that if I mass produced. Does that make sense? (My dad is the same way with his wood working. He only makes for family and friends).

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#15 of 34 Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I love that wave sweater!
Me too! HappiLeigh-- Did you make that pattern yourself or get it somewhere? I doubt I could handle it, but I would love to try it for when the boy is about a year or so.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#16 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Haapileigh Gorgeous handmades .How did you make those diaper covers? Did you have a patten and sew them from scratch or some other way?
#17 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I just got these gorgeous baby boots in the mail from my wonderful sister in law. They are so cute, I love them!!!!!

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...byboots005.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...byboots001.jpg
#18 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 AM

The little homemade shoes are adorable; lovely material!
And so are all the the knitted creations. You two are talented. I can see the love that goes into them.

Here are a few things I have: Some knitted things from my sons baby days (bottle warmer, wash cloth) and the toy baby blanket that my son picked out. And if you scroll through the set you will see the three outfits that I bought and a bear snuggle sack. (disclaimer: bought house in summer; moved in in sept. Having insulation blowin in so many containers are sitting in this room, although they are containers filled with baby clothes and gears so they are in the right place!)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9536696...7622841575864/

#19 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Katie, those boots are SO CUTE!! Baby shoes are so sweet.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. The wave sweater was a crochet pattern from this book. The diapers and covers are all from the Little Comet Tails Starter pattern, which I found to be worth the money. Some of the free patterns I have tried just weren't quite right, I love the gusset on these covers, and the sizes look "true" to me (they seem to correlate with my store-bought Fuzzi Bunz).

#20 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

My first two items of baby clothes

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...clothes008.jpg
#21 of 34 Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Bought these before I knew he was a boy : http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=18589598

And I bought this, too: http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...pwear_babyboys

Other items have been from resale shops or ebay and I don't have any pics of those - mainly rompers and what not for next summer and sleepers for winter and spring.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#22 of 34 Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
I bought that same sleeper, uh when I was barely pregnant, it was just too cute to pass up.
It's fun seeing what others have got for their little ones.
So far I have a handful of 0-3 month gender neutral clothes bought on ebay (must get my bidding under control , a hanna andersson newborn pilot cap (mom got for me), a few clothes from Target clearance, moses basket (still need to get a stand), and most recently a sheepskin rug (a co worker went to Australia for vacation and I sent them on a search for one, can wait to get it!)

I do have plans to knit a hat or two and try my hand at some baby socks.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#23 of 34 Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM

I finished new goodies today. Some waterproof changing pads (we don't use a changing table, just the bed, so these are absorbant flannel on one side and waterpoof PUL on the other) and wet bags for carrying home used cloth diapers.

#24 of 34 Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I found a great used baby clothes store today. I am really happy about that. It just opened in September and someone just told me about it recently.I went there for the first time today and everything was so pretty and clean and excellent prices! I bought a bunch of diapers and clothes, and it was all so well priced. I don't know if I am having a girl or a boy so it was funny trying to shop. I tend to think I am having a boy though I really don't know either way, but I got things that I thought could go for either.
Here are some pictures of what I got- my first baby clothes shopping

Diapers
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...forbaby011.jpg

Clothes
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...forbaby004.jpg
#25 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 AM

http://lmacneil.files.wordpress.com/...1/pb200031.jpg

Here's my loot so far! My mom brought over some of it and the rest I bought second hand. I can't wait to put them on his little body! We aren't playing with doll clothes anymore ladies .

My family = me + dh & ds +
#26 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I found a great used baby clothes store today. I am really happy about that. It just opened in September and someone just told me about it recently.
Katie, I'm so jealous that you live in a place where you can get cloth diapers at a used baby store! I live in a place where used baby stores carry lots of team sports stuff and camo.

Linchi, cute stash! I love the blue and white stripe outfit.

#27 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Good score Katie34!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi
Here's my loot so far! My mom brought over some of it and the rest I bought second hand. I can't wait to put them on his little body! We aren't playing with doll clothes anymore ladies .
So true! Cute clothes!

My latest purchase I love this stuff!

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/s...aper-care.aspx

#28 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I got all that stuff- ( 2 shirts, one sweater, hat, pants) diapers, which include 2 hand knit wool diaper covers and 2 of those wool diaper covers that cost 50 dollars each new- plus a couple receiving blankets and 2 baby pajamas for 93 dollars I am psyched.
#29 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM

See, and you said you lived out in the country and you wouldn't be able to find any places that sell diapers! Lucky girl!

I got Jethro's diaper stash complete. It's massive. I want to take pictures of it but DH keeps trying to put them all away. I am short and he puts them up high where I can't reach unless I stand on something. I don't think standing on a kitchen chair or climbing up the washing machine is a good idea right now.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#30 of 34 Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post
I bought that same sleeper, uh when I was barely pregnant, it was just too cute to pass up.
Ha! I bought that too!

I'm almost finished my first knitted diaper wrap - it's a size newborn and really tiny - hard to know whether to do the others in newborn or in small. Mind you, then I look at the NB Huggies diaper I kept to remind me of when DD was first born, and it would fit inside this wrap with LOTs of room to spare..

I also bought a nightie (one of those with the elastic bottoms) made from lovely soft merino wool:
http://www.mokopuna.com/home_slices.htm

And a bunch of fleece sleepers from Sears. Boring, but functional.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page