Belly Mapping Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does anyone here have a clear understanding of belly mapping and would be willing to explain it? I looked on the belly mapping website but I found it confusing.

so- if, for example- I feel most movement on lower left side, what does that indicate about position?
Is there any clear formula for figuring out baby's position based on where you feel movements, where you see bulges- that someone can explain to me and to anyone here who is also trying to sort this out?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I haven't actually drawn the diagram yet- I was trying to figure it out in my head. Maybe doing the diagram can help sort it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Does anyone here have a clear understanding of belly mapping and would be willing to explain it? I looked on the belly mapping website but I found it confusing.
I just looked at it. A couple of things that stood out to me - it looks like this will be more useful for the last 2 months and we still have a couple of weeks to go...

Also, are you able to differentiate movements? I think that is pretty important for the mapping.

I notice a big difference between the sharp jabs and pokes (kicks) and the rolling bumps (butt and back making large movements). I also get feathery movements that range to more serious pokes (arms/hands). So the mapping is a little easier for me. I bet if I could get confirmation today they would say that s/he has lengthened out a little today, head down, facing forward, with legs less likely to be exclusively on my right side, instead they are right-ish but more lined up with my ribcage (compared to yesterday when s/he was in a scrunched up L shape with head down) because the sharp jabs are higher - almost to my ribcage, but still on the right side. The rolling motions are almost right under my belly button instead of crammed into my left side and the smaller little pokes are low to mid abdomen (same as usual).
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Cool that you can figure that all out! I will try to pay more attention to those specifics. I know I do get some rolling feelings and some pokes and some lighter pokes sometimes. If the biggest and most common pokes are the feet, that is what I feel usually on my lower left so would that make the baby head up and feet down now?
Today I felt most movement in the right left and middle lower. The big bulge is usually middle right. I don't know! I don't think it is as clear for me as you describe but I will try to notice more.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM

I am 31 w 3 days and the belly mapping doesn't really match up right for me yet. I think my little guy is still changing positions too much. Either that or there are a few extra feet and hands in there!!

38y.o. wife to the best husband on earth for the last 19 years and Mommy to 5 going on 6. DUE Feb. 2, 2010. We delay and selective vax. I love BF'ing and CD'ing.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM

What is belly mapping?

I know approximately how the baby is lying, but a lot of that I can attribute to this being my 4th pregnancy so it's easier for me to tell what different movements are.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Third pregnancy, constantly trying to figure out, still with no idea.

But I think it does get easier as baby gets bigger.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)

User Tag List