Can't Sleep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? I guess I've reached that dreaded point where my body starts prepping to stay up all hours of the night. Tonight I slept from 1am-4am, and it is 7am and I still can't sleep. That is just wrong. I'm about to go lay down, but at this point I have to be up in two hours...so yeah, I'm going to be a cranky lady today.

I'm so tired, but my mind just won't shut up and I can't get comfortable! Anyone else in the same miserable boat?

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#2 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM

I have found that I have good nights and bad nights. Last night was definitely a good night. I had 12 hours of sleep! SHEESH!!! I found that it really helps to cut out chocolate/caffeine foods in the evening. Make sure I get plenty of execise during the day, eat something before sleeping as I wake up if I am even slightly hungry. Also, I have to have a bedtime routine, like laying down, reading, something calming- not TV or internet right before trying to sleep. I really hope you get some rest soon .

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#3 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Still recovering from being sick for like the last 3 weeks here. I'm sleeping - but I don't think I'm sleeping well - I wake up every couple of hours and have to change positions, and I'm still exhausted in the morning.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#4 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Ugh. I am having a hard time too. I wake every hour or 2 to pee, my kids both come in at some point and climb into bed or need to go to the bathroom and then I lay their trying and trying to fall back asleep - and I sometimes get restless legs - that is the WORST! As much as I hate to, I have taken tylenol pm a few times and have slept heavenly! I only do that if it's been a few consecutive nights that I haven't slept well - then I sleep sooo good and don't wake with such achy hips.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#5 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How is everyone's cal/mag intake? That makes a HUGE difference for me when it comes to sleep!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#6 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I have found that I have good nights and bad nights.
me too!

Last night was a "bad" night!! I woke up about every hour last night. Too hot, had to use the bathroom, thirsty, baby kicking by ribs (hard), DH's early morning alarm went off way to early (he works out before I even get out of bed) and it was pointless to try to go back to sleep.

I have to go work in Seattle for a few days and my work told me I could get a hotel room so I don't have to worry about the commute (about an hour each way if I were to commute). I felt bad leaving DH by himself (and left with preparations for his mom's visit) for about 2 seconds but then I got really excited about a comfy hotel bed all to myself with tons of fluffy pillows.
#7 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 PM

I am having a hard time in general falling asleep- way more than before pregnancy. Once in a while I get a good night's sleep and then there will be days of not being able to. Or I will wake up easily and not fall back asleep. I am able to sleep in in the mornings though so I make up for it. but I sometimes don't even try to go to bed till really late cause if I do I just lie there, not sleeping. So, yeah- definitely an issue here. It has gotten a little better in the last little while for some reason though.
#8 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
How is everyone's cal/mag intake? That makes a HUGE difference for me when it comes to sleep!

Should help with the restless legs too!

Mama to three

#9 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 AM

Yeah, I don't sleep well at all. I get up 5 or 6 times a night to pee. Then I wake up a few more times to roll over or change positions, which is no easy task. I also have the apnea thing where I startle myself awake because I am not breathing. Yep. Exhausted.

38y.o. wife to the best husband on earth for the last 19 years and Mommy to 5 going on 6. DUE Feb. 2, 2010. We delay and selective vax. I love BF'ing and CD'ing.
#10 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 AM

I've been struggling to sleep since Saterday night. It makes me feel so anxious! I hope it passes soon.
#11 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Still recovering from being sick for like the last 3 weeks here. I'm sleeping - but I don't think I'm sleeping well - I wake up every couple of hours and have to change positions, and I'm still exhausted in the morning.
Same here. I'm on day 8 of a horrible cough, but the stuffy nose and congestion are gone. Last night was the first nite I got a good night's rest and wasn't flopping back and forth trying to get comfortable or trying to breathe!!

Hope you get some rest soon, mama!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#12 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks...though it won't be tonight!

My middle child needs to have a sleep study done, I can't remember if I shared with y'all or not. Anyways they had us originally scheduled for January 19th, and I really didn't like the idea of being 38 weeks and trying to get that done, just in case little man decides to come early. We were able to get in as a standby for cancellations tonight. From everything they were describing, it doesn't sound like a restful night for anyone involved...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#13 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last week (28 weeks) I was nodding off at work if I didnt go to bed at 9. Laying around in bed for as long as I could in the morning before having to get up to get ready for school/work. This week I am wide awake and reading books until midnight and waking up at 6 and completely alert at work! Some new found and needed energy.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#14 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM

I wake up every morning feeling like I have been hit by a truck. Back in 2003 I fractured a few ribs and even though they are healed, and have been for some time, I think the pressure from the baby pushing on them is causing the major ribcage pain I am feeling. Hurts to lay on either side and when I lay on my back I feel like I am suffocating. So I have to lay on one side till I can't take the pain then flip to the other side. I'd say I flip about every 20 mins. And going from one side to the other is another feat in itself. I usually yelp during the process of turning over because of the pain from my pubic symphasis. On top of it all I think I am trying to get a sinus infection. My 20 month old is liking to get up every couple of hours too. So needless to say, no sleep here! All of this pain is really starting to bum me out. Like to the point of depression. I sit there and cry sometimes because everything hurts so bad. I really wanted to have one more baby but I don't think that's going to happen. I think a 4th pregnancy would literally kill me.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#15 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM

I should take away the sentenceof my last post of- it is getting better this week
LAst night I lay there exhausted looking out the window all night while dh slept, and I couldn't fall asleep. Course, as soon as it got light and he got up to get ready to go out I conked out hard for an hour. It may be partially our small bed but I think it is just plain ole pregnancy insomnia too.
#16 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMum View Post
I wake up every morning feeling like I have been hit by a truck. Back in 2003 I fractured a few ribs and even though they are healed, and have been for some time, I think the pressure from the baby pushing on them is causing the major ribcage pain I am feeling. Hurts to lay on either side and when I lay on my back I feel like I am suffocating. So I have to lay on one side till I can't take the pain then flip to the other side. I'd say I flip about every 20 mins. And going from one side to the other is another feat in itself. I usually yelp during the process of turning over because of the pain from my pubic symphasis. On top of it all I think I am trying to get a sinus infection. My 20 month old is liking to get up every couple of hours too. So needless to say, no sleep here! All of this pain is really starting to bum me out. Like to the point of depression. I sit there and cry sometimes because everything hurts so bad. I really wanted to have one more baby but I don't think that's going to happen. I think a 4th pregnancy would literally kill me.
Me too! I have never injured my ribs but I cannot lay on my right side for more than a few minutes or my ribs scream in pain. Thankfully my left side is okay. I get up every hour to pee, without fail, and my apnea is waking me up in between times. Lack of sleep, pain, general discomfort, it is all making me so blah. I didn't think I would get this way because I love being pregnant, but man, exhaustion and pain have a way of wearing a person down!!

38y.o. wife to the best husband on earth for the last 19 years and Mommy to 5 going on 6. DUE Feb. 2, 2010. We delay and selective vax. I love BF'ing and CD'ing.
#17 of 19 Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM

I have trouble sleeping as well, mostly waking up a lot to pee and not being able to sleep, cause baby often wakes up too and goes nuts, and yeah not comofrtable. In terms of falling asleep though, hypnobirthing CD is so awesome! I usually don't fall asleep with meditations/hypnosis but it works for me, I rarely hear more than 5-10 minutes, and as long as I don;t have to pee before it's over, I usually sleep more deeply and have to get up less. That and "calms" magnesium packets, and yeah a snack, sometimes at 3 am.
I started dreaming of peanut butter toast early this morning! lol

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#18 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Actually fell asleep at a reasonable hour tonight. But woke up at 1am, looked at the clock, and started thinking about how great it was going to be to sleep through the night and be able to get up in the morning and do stuff instead of using my morning to catch up on the sleep I couldn't get at night... My thinkity brain got so excited, I can't get back to sleep now!! NOT FAIR!

I started craving tons of milk last week, and, after about a week of decent calcium intake, it is definitely becoming easier to fall asleep, but my sleep schedule is still completely out of whack. Have been sleeping only 2am-6am and then 9am-12pm consistently. So weird!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#19 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 AM

I'm sleeping very soundly for 2 hour stretches. So I'm zonked for 2 hours, then awake for 20 minutes or so (getting up to pee, snacking on the Cheerios I keep by the bed, and then moving back into a comfortable position). Usually when I wake up in the middle of the night or am initially trying to fall asleep I have a hard time because my mind doesn't calm down. My trick: I stick in my headphones and listen to This American Life. It's a radio program that I have 300+ episodes of, thanks to DH's hacking abilities. For some reason, the talking puts me to sleep every time, not that the show is boring but I just like to have talking in the background. It distracts my mind enough to let me fall asleep. I'm even thinking of listing to the show during labor because it has been so relaxing for me. Strange but it works for me.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page