Hospital birthers: what is in your hospital bag?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband has been hounding me to pack the hospital bag ASAP. Part of me is avoiding it b/c I just cannot believe it is coming...but I really do need to pack it and would love any suggestions/advice any of you other hospital birthers have or will include.

So far, I am thinking of the standards:
Toothpaste/brush
brush
change of clothing (big bulky tops)
toiletries (i.e. make-up, brush)
shampoo/body wash
extra undies
nursing bra
change (for vending machines for hubby)
snacks
chapstick

I am not going to bring iPod with music, birth ball, lotions, etc because our doula is going to bring it.

What else? I want to pack it up and just keep it in the car.

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#2 of 21 Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM

I think your bag looks good so far!!
I have absolutely NOTHING in mine!!!!!

Everytime I have packed in the past I haven't used hardly anything...I even bought a pretty robe last time and never even wore it.....time flies and before you know it I am ready to go.......
The only things I can think of is the baby's clothes and his blanket and carseat....

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#3 of 21 Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Our hospital provides pretty much everything we need while we are there. So I am packing basic toiletries (rather use my own) including things like chapstick and my contact solution, a nursing bra, going home clothes for me and the boy (including snow suit) and that's about it. I'll also throw in my cell phone and charger and my digital camera (with extra batteries) when we leave. If the hospital is still being strict about visitors and/or if I have an induction again I may bring a long a book of Sudoku or a magazine or something to pass the time...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#4 of 21 Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM

I haven't packed yet, but I'm bringing:

phone number of my friend who is an LC
cameras
toiletries & something to pull my hair back
pajamas
robe
slippers
warm socks (several pair in case I drip nastiness on them...gross but true)
snacks
mp3 player
phone charger
sweats to wear home
an outfit to show off new Baby in (I bought a matchy set of gown for him plus nursing pjs for me for the day we hang out there and get visitors)
warm clothes to take Baby home in
Baby's carseat
gift for my DD when she visits us in the hospital (if she's allowed)

I remember being *freezing* in the hospital for most of my last stay, so the warm socks, slippers and robe are a must for me. And I liked the odd stretchy disposable post-partum underwear they give you, so I'll probably not pack my own. DH hated the foldout thingy and inadequate blankets he had to sleep on, so he's planning to bring his sleeping bag and foam pad this time. Obviously all this post-partum stuff like his bag and the baby car seat will be packed separately--we won't tote all of it in when I'm in delivery.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 AM

I packed WAAAY too much stuff last time and hardly used any of it so I am just going to take a small bag of essentials this time.

Toiletries-tooth brush, chap stick, etc...just minimal items this time
clothing to go home in (I will wear hospital gowns this time until I get discharged from the hospital)
crocs or slippers, haven't decided which yet
some snacks (hate hospital food)
a new book or magazine

For Baby
camera
sleepers
clothing to go home in
couple diapers
car seat
#6 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 AM

I am a procrastinator so nothing until the week before i am due. I usually don't bring much except baby outfit, clothes to wear home, camera, cell phone, hairbrush, chapstick.... most of that is already in my purse. Hospital usually has everything I need.
#7 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My own pretty hospital gown for after delivery
Depends disposable undergarments for after my water has broke
toiletries
a soft comfy outfit to wear home
several pairs of socks, and a couple of pairs of slipper socks with grips on bottom.
suckers
granola bars
juice boxes
Dermaplast spray for my bits
and we'll add the camera and charger, and cell phone chargers before we leave.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#8 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
My own pretty hospital gown for after delivery
Depends disposable undergarments for after my water has broke
toiletries
a soft comfy outfit to wear home
several pairs of socks, and a couple of pairs of slipper socks with grips on bottom.
suckers
granola bars
juice boxes
Dermaplast spray for my bits
and we'll add the camera and charger, and cell phone chargers before we leave.
What's Dermaplast? This has been really helpful! I think it is good to note that you probably won't use a ton of stuff...and I totally agree about using the hospital stuff as much as you can. How could I forget about the netted underwear?!?! ha ha.

I think I might get some garbage bags and put them in the car in case of my water breaking. Last time I was induced and just never had a) a bag packed or b) my water breaking anywhere but the hospital.

Thanks gals!

#9 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Aaaack! Freaking out! Freaking out!! Are we already at the "packing the bag" point??????

****DEEP BREATH********

Um, I haven't packed yet.

I'm supposed to take clothes for the baby + diapers as the hospitals here do not provide that. So 4 onesies, 4 pyjamas, 3 sweaters, 1 sleep sack, plus socks, hats, etc. I also need any bath supplies, diapers, wipes, etc.

For myself: pads, underclothes, pyjamas (at least two pairs) socks, nursing tops, nursing bras, (gotta buy some of those), toiletries, the list goes on...

I doubt I'll pack anything before 37 weeks.

I am feeling SO far behind with this pg. I haven't done anything yet! I need to buy a Beco, get nursing bras, pull out the crib / mattress/ sheets and set up the crib (will be sidecarred to our bed). Find and wash boppy. Prepare 20 meals for the freezer. And I haven't done anything *except* pull out the newborn clothes from the basement! I'd better get cracking.
#10 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely didn't want to inspire widespread panic...I just am 1 week away from the time I delivered my son and am *trying* to be proactive. I wish I had the confidence to say, "I'll wait until I am 37 weeks..."

#11 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Lol, it isn't confidence, it's lack of time and not having enough pyjamas to get through if I have 3 or 4 pairs packed up in a suitcase!!

But I totally applaud you for being ready. I'm a prepare-well-in-advance kind of person, myself. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with getting things ready for this baby. It's probably partly because we don't have the space and partly because mentally I have to get through Christmas first....
#12 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
What's Dermaplast? This has been really helpful! I think it is good to note that you probably won't use a ton of stuff...and I totally agree about using the hospital stuff as much as you can. How could I forget about the netted underwear?!?! ha ha.

I think I might get some garbage bags and put them in the car in case of my water breaking. Last time I was induced and just never had a) a bag packed or b) my water breaking anywhere but the hospital.

Thanks gals!
Dermaplast is a spray that is meant for scrapes and cuts. It aloevera, which keeps stitches from drying out and getting itchy, and lidocaine to numb things up before and after you pee. Those stupid peri bottles never did anythign for me.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#13 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Oh, I forgot a large ziplock bag with my name on it, full up post partum pads...and a bottle of witchhazel to pour on them so I can stick them in the freezer in the nutrition room at the hospital.

#14 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Wow, I can't believe some of the hospitals don't provide stuff for you and the baby! Our hospital even has the spray stuff if you want/need it.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#15 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if our hospital provides all of the lovely "wound care" items. My last hospital did--I had a lovely tear so I got some like tucks pads, witch hazel and some sort of cream...I should look in my closet to see if I can find that!!

I am debating bringing our own baby wash b/c I have a completely unfounded anger against Johnson and Johnson, but not sure it is worth the battle. I even contemplated bringing some cloth diapers (if he doesn't have to vacation in the NICU), but think I'll just go with sposies for the hospital to make life easier.

#16 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Wow, I can't believe some of the hospitals don't provide stuff for you and the baby! Our hospital even has the spray stuff if you want/need it.
Our hospital provides most of it, but I just like my kind better, lol.

#17 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Our hospital provides most of it, but I just like my kind better, lol.
I can understand that - my hospital even provides toiletries, but I take my own of those. I was more meaning Marylizah, who has to back EVERYTHING it sounds like. At my hospital, pretty much the only thing I HAVE to have is a carseat to take the baby home in. I could wear my own clothes home, and they'll let you take the blankets/t-shirts/diapers that are in your bassinet there, and they pretty much provide anything you would need while you are there. So it really makes packing pretty easy.

#18 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I can understand that - my hospital even provides toiletries, but I take my own of those. I was more meaning Marylizah, who has to back EVERYTHING it sounds like. At my hospital, pretty much the only thing I HAVE to have is a carseat to take the baby home in. I could wear my own clothes home, and they'll let you take the blankets/t-shirts/diapers that are in your bassinet there, and they pretty much provide anything you would need while you are there. So it really makes packing pretty easy.
Yeah, I'm in France. We get great care (and I never even see a bill for all things pregnancy-, postpartum- and newborn-related) but the public hospitals don't typically provide much of anything that is in the personal care area. I even have to bring my own thermometer for labor!!! I've heard the private clinics do, but the care there is typically LESS good.

It's ok, though. I loved getting to dress DS up in his little clothes right away. So sweet! But it does mean a larger-than-average suitcase needs to be packed!
#19 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Still working on my list, but just thought of swim trunks for DH, in case he wants to get in the tub or the shower with me.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#20 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 PM

I just packed mine tonight. Having a bit of a nesting fit over here. So far it includes my nursing bra, clothes to wear home, toiletries, clothes for baby to wear home, and a sweater for baby since it will be cold (will also have the infant carrier with cover). I'll have to wait to add in things like my cell phone and camera though obviously.

#21 of 21 Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 AM

This is the list my midwives gave me when I asked last appointment:

Mandatory for Hospital:
- diapers for baby (I suspect they stock sposies - the other hospital said "bring your own" too but I never cracked the pack open - they provided, but anyway I want to CD from the beginning assuming it's a normal birth)
- Sanitary napkins - will probably buy a few of those mesh panties and I'll be using cloth after the first day or so for me too
- Car filled with gas and know the route to the hospital
- Coins for overnight parking
- Toiletries for mother and baby
- 2 changes of clothes for baby (I have some second-hand flannel nighties that someone must have liberated from some hospital years ago; those will get used)
- infant car seat

Optional (and I'll likely bring most of it)
- food and drink for both partners - and m/w suggested bringing my own water as the water at the hospital isn't very tasty - safe but not tasty apparently!
- night gown and slippers/sandals - crocs are a great idea - thanks!
- body lotion
- hot water bottle and magic bag
- Lip balm
- Gatorade (and I'll be bringing Emergen-C too)
- Camera (black and white film is nice, 400iso is also nice; babies are usually born at night - I didn't know this!)
- Gravol, Tylenol, Ibuprofen

I brought an iPod (or its predecssor anyway!) last time and never used it. Ditto books, etc etc. I doubt I'll bother this time.

But I'm not planning on packing until at least mid-January. Gotta get Christmas out of the way first!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page