Update to x-mas in the hospital--and NAME HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea how to update a post.

Zevy, Aramat and Ficus (okay, the guise is down, I'll just go by Ali now) have enough action to compete with the new Avitar movie...

They cannot stop my contractions, and I am 2 cm dilated. So, they are just going to let these contractions roll right now. Baby today? tomorrow? Who the hell knows...but I am getting a little nervous about labor...

AND we need help on a middle name. Figured I could go to you all b/c you won't spill the beans.

Felix Meyer Heintz
Felix Josef Heintz (would it be obvious that the "J" is silent?)
Felix Calvin Robert Heintz

Meyer is my mother's maiden name...and Josef is on my husband's side...and Calvin and robert are our father's names.

Thoughts?

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Felix Josef Meyer Heintz the most or Felix Josef Heintz. Pronoucing a middle name is usually much less of a problem than a first so I wouldn't worry. And I LOVE Josef and German Austrian names. I'm biased as a Mueller though.

Luck, love and prayers

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

. Good luck, Ali. I hope everything goes well. As for the names, it wouldn't be very often that a middle name is used, so you'd have your chance to tell people (probably) if you want it pronounced a certain way. I love the German names, so Josef and Meyer (also a family name for me- hey maybe we're related?). Josef is nice and Christmas-y, too.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM

Easy labor vibes. I hope it all goes well and your hospital stay is short.

Personally, I'm not sure if people will realize that the J is silent - When I first read it I read it as "Joseph". I personally like Felix Meyer.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Oh, good luck!

I like Josef and Meyer the best
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM

ooooh I like Josef or Meyer personally. I am not a fan of the double middle name.

Good luck with your labor and delivery! I pray your baby is super healthy and ready to come home ASAP!

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Ali - thinking good thoughts for you and your little guy. And personally, I like Felix Calvin Robert Heintz, but I think they are all great names!

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM

I lean towards Felix Meyer, mostly because I like passing down our mother's names. Euro-American names tend to be very paternal (that's just my feminism coming out )

Hoping the best for you and your lo!!!

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM

I like Josef and Calvin best. I think I would assume that Josef is "YO-sef", but it's a middle name, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I like Felix a lot!

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you and the baby!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the well wishes. Tis the season for a x-mas miracle as my ctx suddenly dissipated (sic?) at least enough that I don't think I'll deliver today. Still taking procardia every 6 hours and am on antibiotics in case I deliver...and I have refused the idea of mag sulfate if they get out of control, which my doctor fully supports.

I forgot how uncomfortable cervical checks are this far along. I had both the peri and the OB's fingers messing in my junk. Ouch!

Love all of the perspectives on the middle names, too! i think we'll probably eliminate the double middle. And since I cannot imagine doing one father's name and not the other, that leaves us with Meyer and Josef. Decisions decisions...I am afraid once I make it, he'll pop out! (the ob said, "wow, his head is low...that's good if were full term b/c he would come out faster.")

I thought--that's good if I am preterm, too--I don't want a long labor!

Of course, the NICU did a consult yesterday and here is the funny slice of our convo that I posted about on my blog:

she was all: what are you having?
ali: a boy
She: well, little white boys don't fare as well as, say little black girls.
Ali: if I am having a little black girl, we have bigger problems than preterm delivery.

i just might be Tiger's 16th mistress...just kidding!

Again, if you cannot laugh at yourself, you would cry your eyes out.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Ohhh good luck!!!

I love Felix Meyer <3

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM

At least you've still got your sense of humor!!

I love Meyer and Josef, and I read Josef with a silent "j." I think I a little bit like Meyer best though. Good luck!!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Oooh, I think you already know I LOVE the name Felix , maybe we will have two in this DDC!!! I really like your middle names too, but Meyer especially . I really hope that you are comfortable and that you don't go into labour too soon. Take care there Ali, k! We are thinking about you.

My family = me + dh & ds +
Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post

Of course, the NICU did a consult yesterday and here is the funny slice of our convo that I posted about on my blog:

Ali: if I am having a little black girl, we have bigger problems than preterm delivery.
ROFL! Glad you still have your sense of humor. Also glad to hear the contractions died down, hope you can continue to keep him baking!

I've heard the same thing though, that statistically premature Caucasian males do the worse in the NICU, but I never could figure out if that would apply to my sons or not - technically they are half "white", a quarter "black", and a quarter Greek. So not sure what that would mean.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 AM

So glad your contractions stopped, Ali! Big hugs!

And my vote is for Meyer!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 PM

I love love love Felix Josef!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Yeah, the docs always told me the fact I was having girls would work in my favor. Girls just do better...has to do with propagation of the species.

I like Josef.

Hang in there. And sending easy labor thoughts for you....keep us updated. And should you need the NICU, come chat with me. One thing I will say about the NICU: the nurses and staff are generally fantastic.

Good luck...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 PM

But why would they tell you that???? It's not like you could change his race or gender, even if you wanted to? Sounds like a really stupid comment that they should be keeping to themselves at this point. But, I wonder if it has anything to do with circumcision...

Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 PM

And here's the Baby Stay In track for you as well, if you're interested: http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058#stayin

Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
But why would they tell you that???? It's not like you could change his race or gender, even if you wanted to? Sounds like a really stupid comment that they should be keeping to themselves at this point. But, I wonder if it has anything to do with circumcision...
What would it have to do with circ? The impression I got from my OB when he was talking about it was that it had more to do with lung development...

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
What would it have to do with circ? The impression I got from my OB when he was talking about it was that it had more to do with lung development...
Yeah, it is about lung development. I have actually heard the wimpy white boy syndrome other places, too. But, I already got the steroid shots, and am 33 weeks 4 days now, and the baby on the monitor looks GREAT!

And I find comfort in the fact that my other son was born at 34 breathing on his own, and my doctor's twins came at 34 weeks and didn't even go to the NICU.

It's all going to be okay...

Now if I could only do something about the hospital food and that damn toco contraction monitor digging a permanent hole in my tummy. With the herniated belly button and the crater from the belly monitor, my abdomen is a nightmare.

In better news, I got "in" with my nurse and she let me take a shower even though they didn't order one (yes, they need to be ORDERED!)

Note to self: if you deliver at the hospital, get on your nurse's good side. Bribe, flatter, and just make conversation.

Hope you all are doing well!

Still deciding on that middle name. May be leaning toward Josef...

Old 12-19-2009, 10:53 PM

Hoping you are still baking that little one!! I will take your advice and get on the nurses good side at the hospital!!!
I like Meyer AND Josef so I am no help but I like the spelling of Josef so maybe that one!
Keep your updates coming!!!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm sending all sorts of good thoughts your way... Tough call on the middle names - I love them all! And Felix is adorable!

Hang in there... You are so much tougher than I am. I don't know how I'd have dealt with all the bed rest and stress. Hugs!

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
Old 12-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
WTF-ity f f f?! That is so racist! Wouldn't it just be girls fare better? I don't know. Nuts.

Anyways, relax. Baby, G-d Willing, is in a good place and RIGHT where he should be and you are exactly where you should be and all is well. Just relax and enjoy.

Sending you love and health.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
WTF-ity f f f?! That is so racist! Wouldn't it just be girls fare better? I don't know. Nuts.

Anyways, relax. Baby, G-d Willing, is in a good place and RIGHT where he should be and you are exactly where you should be and all is well. Just relax and enjoy.

Sending you love and health.
DDC crashing...No, statistically speaking girls of African descent fare far better than caucasian girls (and especially boys) when born prematurely. It has nothing to do with racism, its just a fact. Caucasian boys typically do not have good outcomes.

Glad to hear your little man is still cooking, mama. Here's hoping he gets much closer to term!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am actually pretty curious as to why caucasian boys have the worst outcomes of all babies...maybe with all this new free time on my hands at the hospital I can do some research.

I also realized that my comment back to the nurse may have been interpreted wrong--I hope no one thought so! I just meant that if I birthed a baby that clearly didn't come from my husband, I would have much bigger problems than preterm delivery!

I found out today if I can stick around until 36 weeks, they would even send me home! Granted, that is 2 weeks from now, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Watch me post on here at 42 weeks and pleading for a baby to be born.

Hope you all are having great weekends--and anyone in the northeast, I hope you are safe (and got all of your holiday shopping done!)

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 AM

I don't know about the race card, but I can speak towards the gender thing: female fetuses actually develop faster (although not hugely) than male fetuses. It is a protective measure: females are more important to continue the species.

You see it in times of stress as well: in a stressful environment, you will see an increase in female births compared to male births. I would see it occasionally at work (I do research in a pharma company with rodents)...if the mouse colony was specifically stressed we would have far more female babies compared to male babies. It was a big sign that something was wrong in the colony.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu_n2 View Post
I lean towards Felix Meyer, mostly because I like passing down our mother's names. Euro-American names tend to be very paternal (that's just my feminism coming out )
I agree 100%! Congrats in advance on your new little boy!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM

ps, I like the double middle. Did I mention that?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevy View Post
I don't know about the race card, but I can speak towards the gender thing: female fetuses actually develop faster (although not hugely) than male fetuses. It is a protective measure: females are more important to continue the species.

You see it in times of stress as well: in a stressful environment, you will see an increase in female births compared to male births. I would see it occasionally at work (I do research in a pharma company with rodents)...if the mouse colony was specifically stressed we would have far more female babies compared to male babies. It was a big sign that something was wrong in the colony.
Interesting...I used to breed mice when I kept snakes, and I always ended up with more males. Annoyed me to no end, because I liked having fresh females to use as breeders and normally would only keep 1-3 "stud" males. But I guess I must have been doing something right since they weren't stressed?

User Tag List