What are your birth predictions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking that I'm going to go into labor between 38-40 weeks (so pretty much the last half of January), will have a 8-12 hour labor, and will cope with my contractions fairly well except for a 1-2 hour stretch where I can't get comfortable but then I'll figure out something that will help. Early labor, I will greet midwives, etc and visit, then will retreat to my bedroom, then towards the middle-end of transition will request everyone in there. I think I will give birth at night. (I kind of hope not though, last time my dd was born after midnight, and after about 45 minutes of "good job" everyone left and my dh pretty much passed out. I was like, I guess I have to sleep now too, even though I wanted to celebrate!) I think I will have a small tear a bit of trouble getting him past my pubic bone but nothing too major. Also, I think I will have some prodromal labor 3-4 days before I go into real labor. And that I will try the birth tub but I won't like it.

My other "feeling" is that I'll go into labor and he will be born in about an hour, before the midwives can get here. My dh will be home in time to catch.

So now that I've written that all out, I'm sure that my labor will go nothing like that.

What are your predictions?

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM

Okay, it's been spinning around in my head enough so I might as well get it out on paper.

First of all, I have all the crazy fears and also all the wishes and hopes and realize that those are both extreme "feelings" so I'm going to go with my gut.

I think that I will have the baby early, but think/hope it will be at least at week 36 and could go quite possibly longer...though I totally realize that my mindset is changing and when THAT changes, the duration of the pregnancy changes, too.

I feel like I will have the baby in the evening/night or early hours of the morning...but not daytime...as in mornign or afternoon. BOth of my kids were born at night and my miscarriage was in the morning so maybe I'm just associating everthing with that.

I'm hoping to have water around...think it will be a homebirth...think it will go fast. Hope that I will be on top of the prodromial labor with this homeopathic regimine that my friend (who is also a lay mw) suggested to me.

I'm anticipating a peaceful birth at home, G-d Willing.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

I haven't thought a lot about it. I do have an induction tentatively scheduled for the last week of January (will either be the 25th or the 29th depending on how the u/s looks) so I know there is that last resort. However, seeing as I'll be 39 weeks 1 day on the 29th and my first DD (the only one I went into labor on my own with) was born at 39 weeks 2 days, I'm sort of hoping to go on my own prior to then. Sounds silly, but I would like to go into labor during a time where I'd have to call DH home from work. He's always pictured this big, dramatic rush to the hospital like you see in the movies, and none of our births were like that. 2 were inductions, so no rushing, and even with DD1 my water broke before I was really feeling contractions. I wasn't uncomfortable so we showered and went out to breakfast and then casually headed down to the hospital. So a little excitement might be sort of nice for a change (the good kind of excitement, of course).

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 PM

I predict I will go into labour spontaneously, like last time, and that it will be a natural birth again. I figure if I can do unmedicated for my first birth there's absolutely no reason for meds this time!

And that my hemorrhoids afterwards are going to be unbearable.

Other than that - no idea!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Glad to have this thread started so I can add my own. I just had a talk with DP the other day about this, asking him how he thinks it will all go. He didn't really understand me or what I was asking for . He's way more of a realist than I am. He's just as happy to wait for it to happen than to make any predictions about it.

That said ... here are my thoughts.

We are UCing at home and have 4 other children. So I know my first call (unless I'm calling DP home from work) will be to the friend who is keeping an eye on the kids during the birth. Then I think things will go very quickly, but that DP and I will handle it all perfectly. Sure I'll want some time in the shower, then probably mess around with my exercise ball for a bit. I know DP will catch, and I do see me going on my hands and knees to push the baby out this time. He'll tell me the sex first thing, and then we'll just sit and fall in love with our new babe. I'll get the placenta out, DP will whip up my smoothie, and then I'll lie down for a nap with the new little one (and I'm sure the others will all come in to peek).

Not sure if I'll want to call the kids in while I'm pushing ... I'm open to it, but I'll just have to see what frame of mind I'm in at that point in time.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Lillypop;14841252]DP will whip up my smoothieQUOTE]

Details, please.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 PM

I think I will go to my due date. I feel the need to be alone, to focus only on me. I feel bad because my husband wants to be present, but I want this to be me alone. I really want to retreat upstairs in our bedrooms alone and do this by myself. I also don't want a sitter for my older kids, though my midwife keeps telling me I need to have one. Thing is, it's my house. We've moved and don't know/trust anyone we've tried. I don't have family around and want my kids to be near me, not separated with a sitter. I really want my husband to tend to the kids and leave me to myself.

I feel like it will go quickly and at night. We have a nasty foster care situation going on (as the foster parents), but I sense that all will be resolved by early Feb and I will be able to let go of that anxiety and simply birth in peace by my due date in mid-Feb.

I feel like I'm supposed to birth in my bedroom, like there's this energy in there. Strange, I know. Other than that, don't know. I do also "feel" that this will be a smaller baby than my last one (11.2#).

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Just to be uber-creepy.

I knew I was going to have twins when we talked about getting pregnant. I was right.

I knew I'd be put on bed rest around 20 weeks. Happened at 20 weeks 4 days.

I knew something would happen around week 30. I went into labor at week 30 exactly and the girls were born at week 30 + 1 day.

And I knew I'd have a c-section the whole time.

Freaky stuff.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
My predictions...

I'll go into labor sometime on February 26th (both of my boys were four days after their EDDs, so why shouldn't this one be too? ). That's a Friday, so I'm just praying that it will be before 7:45am or after 5:30pm...that way, DH will be home, and I won't have to be alone at all, and it's one less phone call to make (my boys both came really quickly, so I need as little to do as possible!).

I'll call my mw, probably spend a lot of time on the toilet, and text the rest of my birth team (my mom, my Grandma, my bff, and another friend) while I'm there. DH will fill up the tub, and set up the boys with a movie.

I'll get in the tub, and probably have the baby before my mw gets here, if it really is on Friday, and if it's between 2pm and 7:30pm (she lives about 25 minutes away, but between us is one of the worst stretches of rush-hour gridlocked-freeway in southern California). Otherwise, I'll have the baby about ten minutes after she gets here. The boys will be present for the birth.

I'll push the baby out, I won't have to have pit to control my bleeding (this will be a first!), the placenta will come quickly, and then baby and I will pass out for the next 24 hours. I'll try to be alert about two hours in, so that we can Skype with my dad, stepmom, and brothers in Illinois, and they can see the baby.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
DP will whip up my smoothie
Quote:
Details, please.
once the placenta's out, DP's going to cut off a decent sized hunk and toss it in the blender with the other ingredients (blueberry soy yogurt, frozen strawberries, some OJ concentrate). and voila! placenta smoothie.

he bought new "kitchen shears" at the store today to use for the cord and placenta cutting (stainless steel, and we have to boil them to sterilize)

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 AM

I predict I will have tons of prodromal labor and real labor will hit sometime between 38 and 39 weeks. I am going to have a hard time knowing that it is for "real" and will probably make it to the hospital 50 minutes away just in the nick of time. This "little" guy will be my biggest baby yet.

38y.o. wife to the best husband on earth for the last 19 years and Mommy to 5 going on 6. DUE Feb. 2, 2010. We delay and selective vax. I love BF'ing and CD'ing.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillypop View Post
once the placenta's out, DP's going to cut off a decent sized hunk and toss it in the blender with the other ingredients (blueberry soy yogurt, frozen strawberries, some OJ concentrate). and voila! placenta smoothie.

he bought new "kitchen shears" at the store today to use for the cord and placenta cutting (stainless steel, and we have to boil them to sterilize)
You don't need to cook it or anything first?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 AM

I guess I'll be the first 'first-time' mom to guess. So, I'm really out there on the predictions-and I have the WORST intuition ever, so there ya go

I will go into labor at week 39 exactly (feb 10-11). He will be born on the 11th at night. Once active labor starts, I imagine I will walk and rock back and forth and walk and not sit down until pushing. I think I'll end up not using my lovely tub, though I am planning on it. I think he'll stay posterior and I will have lots of terrible back labor--and I'll need my DH to rub my back until his hands fall off.

My midwife will get here about an hour before he's born (though mardi gras traffic I'm sure will be a b&*@!) and I will push on the birthing stool she's bringing. I think the pushing stage will take a while and I'll end up with a smallish tear. I think he will be just under 8 lbs and bald.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillypop View Post

Thanks for all that info. While I totally support placenta eating and recommend it to others, I could never do it myself. I dunno. Dh and I have been vegetarian for 10-20 years and our kids have never had meat (though I and the kids DO eat fish on occasion.

I just think the whole texture and everything would just bring up images of meat for me and freak me out...but ya never know. Also, I feel kind of bad eating it...like, it's no longer mine and it's no longer the babies. I feel like it should really be buried (for me anyway). But, I DO like the idea of having a smoothie after the birth...so I'm totally stealing that from you! Thanks.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillypop

You don't need to cook it or anything first?
nope, no cooking needed. I am also very open to the idea that if I/DP/we think(s) I'm bleeding excessively, to cut off a little piece and pop it under my tongue (the hormones are absorbed almost immediately sublingually). If it gets to that point, I might be too woozy/in the moment to be concerned about the texture.

We do eat meat (chicken and turkey and eggs) but beef/pork are not typically served in our house (rarely, if they are). I'll eat a steak maybe 3 times a year. Sushi/sashimi we do eat quite often, but I'm not a huge fan of fish.

Hence why I'm blending it up in a smoothie ... to mask the texture and the taste of the rawness.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM

I'm betting I have a baby at some point! (Not making fun of your predictions or anything, but I just don't seem to get feelings like this.)

I did dream on the 23rd that I had my baby on Christmas Eve, but I'm glad that one didn't come true.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM

I'm a first-timer too, so I have no frame of reference. But, I was really interested to see this thread and everyone's reactions, because I've been feeling really strongly that this little guy will be here just before 40 weeks. So it's interesting to see others have strong feelings/thoughts about the birth, too.

I think we'll be able to labor at home for a while, and I see myself spending some time in the tub. Once we get to the hospital, I think I'll spend some time walking, in the shower, and/or on the birth ball. For some reason I see myself in the final stages being on my side. Oddly enough, long before DH and I were even trying to get pregnant, I remember having a vivid birth dream where I gave birth on my hands and knees. This was before I even knew anything about positions, or had thought about having a birth that wasn't an old-school hospital birth (on the back in the bed, hooked up to an epidural). So who knows....
Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 AM

I'm a bit afraid to post this in case a jinx myself, because I'm afraid my 'prediction' is actually my 'preference' but here goes anyway...

I will go into labour in the middle of the night as I did with DD, but a few days after my due date. Progress will be fairly slow for the first 4/5 hours, then ramp up. I'll try to save my energy by resting in bed, but then probably spend some time in the bath and also on the birthing ball. Come mid-morning it will be time to go to the hospital.

I will labour with just gas and air, lots of movement between birthing ball, hands and knees and the bath, then move to pushing on the bed, on my side.

Pushing progress will be slow but i will remember to pant and take my time with it so as to avoid tearing as much as possible, and then baby will be born late that evening with only minimal damage to mammy.

See - told you my prediction was a preference - sounds like the perfect scenario to me, and a million miles from my last experience. Fingers crossed everyone :

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Okay, here goes mine, which, like Louie, is also more a preference - but also like my last birth!

I'll wake in the morning with a contraction, get up, go to the bathroom, have enough time to call the midwife (this part didn't happen last time), then baby will be born, with me squatting - then the midwives will arrive as I'm peacefully nursing on the couch! Not too much to ask, right ?

I'm hoping that since my son came like this last time we'll be more mentally prepared for it again and things will feel less hectic. I am well aware (and reminded at each appt) that the 3rd birth is a 'wildcard' and doesn't necessarily follow the previous birth.....but I'll hold out hope!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
Old 01-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Since my cervix is not even close to doing anything i am guessing February 22 in the morning

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Assuming this is not an induction (my first one was an induction due to Mom's stupidity and my 4th was out of medical necessity since my fluids were pretty much gone and they sent me from the reg visit straight to the hospital)...I am going to base it on my 2nd and 3rd births that came on their own....A couple days before EDD I will go into labor in the middle of the night...will time contractions til they get close and unbearable and then go to the hospital hopefully ready to push....when I get there I am too far along for me to dream of an epidural and baby comes out quick and with no complications whatsoever. I am told his sugar levels are good, he nurses good and we go home in 24 hours or less.

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

User Tag List