baby is here! cesarean birth at 32 w, 5 days - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe it, but I'm not pregnant anymore! Our little boy (surprise! all recent thoughts had predicted girl) was supposed to arrive around Valentine's Day but thought that Christmas Eve sounded like a much cooler holiday.

I had been working ridiculous hours at my job (14 hours a day, 7 days a week) and was feeling pretty good despite it. (Job woes are a really long story--they threatened to fire me at 31 weeks for bullsh!t reasons so I vowed to tough it out until first week of Jan, talk about change in plans on that one). Anyway, despite the long hours I thought I was doing ok, just a little crampines and some discharge that I now think might have been gradual loss of my mucous plug.

I went in for a routine appointment on Wed, and the midwife found a few things that worried her. The ongoing cramps/discharge, slightly elevated blood pressure, and then an internal exam that showed a .5 cm cervix that had been measured at 3 cm only 2 weeks before (at an ultrasound). So off we went to the hospital. I started bleeding as well, but when they hooked me up to the monitors the baby was happy and they didn't see any contractions.

I was monitored for a couple of hours, had another internal exam where things didn't seem to have progressed, so they admitted me for monitoring and it started to look like I would be on bed rest for a couple of days to calm things down. Fast forward to 7 hours later, when I still have had no contractions showing up on the monitor (just some general crampiness getting a little bit worse, but nothing more frequent than 9-13 minutes apart), the resident checks me again and I'm 9 centimeters dialated! Since they knew baby was breech and early, they literally ran me down the hall to the OR, cutting in front of another lady waiting for her c-section. It went super fast, but I felt safe and well-taken care of (my midwife was there in 11 minutes flat).

DH heard the baby squawk when he was pulled out, he started breathing on his own in a minute or two and has been doing well ever since. Weighed in at 2025 grams (4 pounds 8 ounces) and is strong and healthy. No name yet, but will update soon! I'm pumping and just got my first little drops of colostrum, so we're heading to the NICU to feed baby. Will update again soon!

Moral of the story, don't work 14 hour days 7 days a week at 32 weeks pregnant, even if you think you can!

--Emily

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#2 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ememers View Post
Wow, I can't believe it, but I'm not pregnant anymore! Our little boy (surprise! all recent thoughts had predicted girl) was supposed to arrive around Valentine's Day but thought that Christmas Eve sounded like a much cooler holiday.

I had been working ridiculous hours at my job (14 hours a day, 7 days a week) and was feeling pretty good despite it. (Job woes are a really long story--they threatened to fire me at 31 weeks for bullsh!t reasons so I vowed to tough it out until first week of Jan, talk about change in plans on that one). Anyway, despite the long hours I thought I was doing ok, just a little crampines and some discharge that I now think might have been gradual loss of my mucous plug.

I went in for a routine appointment on Wed, and the midwife found a few things that worried her. The ongoing cramps/discharge, slightly elevated blood pressure, and then an internal exam that showed a .5 cm cervix that had been measured at 3 cm only 2 weeks before (at an ultrasound). So off we went to the hospital. I started bleeding as well, but when they hooked me up to the monitors the baby was happy and they didn't see any contractions.

I was monitored for a couple of hours, had another internal exam where things didn't seem to have progressed, so they admitted me for monitoring and it started to look like I would be on bed rest for a couple of days to calm things down. Fast forward to 7 hours later, when I still have had no contractions showing up on the monitor (just some general crampiness getting a little bit worse, but nothing more frequent than 9-13 minutes apart), the resident checks me again and I'm 9 centimeters dialated! Since they knew baby was breech and early, they literally ran me down the hall to the OR, cutting in front of another lady waiting for her c-section. It went super fast, but I felt safe and well-taken care of (my midwife was there in 11 minutes flat).

DH heard the baby squawk when he was pulled out, he started breathing on his own in a minute or two and has been doing well ever since. Weighed in at 2025 grams (4 pounds 8 ounces) and is strong and healthy. No name yet, but will update soon! I'm pumping and just got my first little drops of colostrum, so we're heading to the NICU to feed baby. Will update again soon!

Moral of the story, don't work 14 hour days 7 days a week at 32 weeks pregnant, even if you think you can!
--Emily
Please don't beat yourself up.. there could be oodles of reasons for an early delivery sweetie. Maybe your sweet baby just wanted to surprise you for christmas Congrats hun and be sure and get some rest. My dd was born early also.. due to pre-e. Everything will be wonderful. Enjoy and Enjoy!!! I'm so happy for you, your family and your precious baby <3 Lots of love, Kim

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#3 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on your little boy! I agree, don't blame yourself; it's probably just one of those things. So glad he's here and healthy!

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#4 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Congrats on your baby! Sorry to hear the the delivery was a bit unexpected, but do not beat yourself up over it! There are so many reasons for premature labor.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Congratulations!!! Yay for babies!!!! So glad things went so well and that baby is healthy!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#6 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 PM

Wow! Congrats on your early christmas present! Glad to hear your little boy is doing so well. Get some rest!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#7 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Yay for Christmas miracles. Congrats! Two of my favorite people in the world were born on Christmas eve. What a good day.
#8 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Oh my gosh! Congratulations!!!

Best wishes for a short NICU-stay! And congrats on the colostrum, too!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#9 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Oh congratulations!!! Sweet baby!!! I'm so happy all is well.

Congratulations!!
#10 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Oh wow! Congrats! Glad to hear he's doing well.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#11 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 03:35 PM

It sounds like things went as well as possible. I'm so glad you felt safe and supported!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#12 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Congratulations! And I reiterate what others have said... Don't blame yourself. Think of it this way: there are plenty of moms of many kids (myself included) who have to work long, long hours on their feet taking care of little ones and a house, picking kids up and down, and doing the rigors of physical labor with a family... and still go overdue. I think there may have been more going on with your situation, stuff you may never know.

But count your blessings that he was so healthy and big, and he surely won't be in NICU for long!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Congratulations on your Christmas blessing!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#14 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM

Congratulations! Welcome baby boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ememers View Post
and please, don't think this is your fault. it's not. things sometimes don't according to plan.
#15 of 25 Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Congrats on your sweet baby boy!!
#16 of 25 Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thanks to everyone for the support, it means a lot to me! I know I wasn't on this forum very much lately (due to my crazy job) but I had a feeling that posting my story here would help, so thank you very much! you're all right, and I'm not beating myself up over anything (well, trying not to).

I'm thinking about it this way: the facts of the situation are what they are, he was born early, he's in the NICU, etc. But the *story* of the situation is up to me--and I can tell the story that he was just too feisty and strong to wait it out until Valentine's day, that he's getting fantastic care in the NICU and that we are just thrilled to have met him early!

Plus, he got fantastic love and support from me for the 32 week and 5 days that I got to grow him by myself, which outweighs any end-of-the-pregnancy craziness in my mind.

Oh, and he has a name: Anders. We love it. We're still calling him by the nickname we used when he was in utero a bit (it just seems to fit) but the nurses all call him Anders and it's perfect for him.

I'll try to post some photos later.

Mama to DS1 wave.gif (born at 32.5 weeks in Dec 2009) and DS2 and DS3 angel2.gif angel2.gif (born at 23 weeks in Oct 2013). 
#17 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Congrats on your new little bundle of joy!

Mama to three

#18 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 AM

Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you and Anders are doing well! Looking forward to pictures.

Jackson Steven born 02/24/10! <3
#19 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 AM

Mazel Tov and Congratulations!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#20 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Congratulations, I am glad you are both doing well!

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#21 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Congrats- I'm glad that you both are doing so well!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#22 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Congrats! I'm glad to hear he's healthy and you are feeling good. Can't wait to see photos!
#23 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Congrats and welcome to Baby Anders!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#24 of 25 Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Congratulations, and come home soon, Anders!
#25 of 25 Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Wow, Santa brought you a baby for Christmas! Congratulations! Glad he's doing well. Fantastic name.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page