Tell me about your exercise. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you do? For how long? How often?

My CNM wants me to exercise everyday (I think), because of my crazy weight gain. I write it on my calendar when I do it. Realistically, it ends up being about 40 minutes of cardio on gym machines-3 days a week, with other things mixed in, like long exhausting grocery trips. Outdoor walks are hard, because I usually have to go to the bathroom after 15 minutes!

So, I'm just wondering what others are actually doing at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, it's rough, I feel you. Even more so with a little dude to include in the mix! I go to prenatal yoga 1x a week for 90 minutes which is the AWESOME. Love it. Other days of the week I try to do Wii Fit Free Step for 20-30 minutes maybe 3x a week. Some weeks I'm really diligent and some I don't do it at all. DS and I took a 40 minute or so walk this morning and it was rough - my sacrum is really sore and I just feel like I'm waddling.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

I do 45 minutes on the Precor Ellipitcal at the gym and about 10 minutes of weight training, 10 minutes of stretching, 40-50 walking lunges, and some down dogs throughout the day. I do the cardio pretty much every day and the weights about twice-three times per week. If I don't get to the gym I do an hour walk with my dog in the neighborhood.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#4 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Um, you mean that we're supposed to exercise?

I started off doing a good bit of Praise Moves (sort of yoga-ish, but not yoga), and then...I just fell off the wagon. I'm good at that.

Honestly, with DS2 and with this pregnancy, most of my exercising has just been keeping up with my children. I always say that I'm going to walk two miles a day, but that never happens! I did walk up and down some hills at the Wild Animal Park on Tuesday, pushing a heavy stroller the whole time, so that has to count for something...especially since I couldn't move by the time I got to the car (I did not enjoy my two hour drive home in traffic!).

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#5 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM

I'm hoping that all the stairs I take a day getting up and down from my 3rd floor apartment count as exercise....

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#6 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM

I exercise regularly in non-pregnancy life, and did throughout my pregnancy with DD, but this time I just can't. Between the contractions that come every time I'm on my feet for a while and the excrutiating back pain, I just stopped. I can't even take a walk through my neighborhood because one day I got stranded at the farthest point from home with awful contractions and didn't know what to do (I just walked home anyway, but it was not pretty, and it had me quite worried.) My doctor advised me to follow my isntinct and to not excercise. She said let my body be my guide, and if that means a couple months of just regular household and shopping duties instead of actual excercise, that'll just have to be it. I feel gross about it, though. But not as bad as when I was trying to excercise!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#7 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lauren31: I'm seriously amazed by your exercising...and you're even farther along than me! How do you walk for an hour without having to use the bathroom? Am I abnormal?

I feel like I can't do too much. As soon as I start some cardio, my belly really tightens up. I have to take it quite a bit slower than pre-preg. Does anyone elses belly tighten up quite a bit when they start cardio exercise?
#8 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been doing yoga once a week for the duration of this pregnancy (and before it happened) and stretches in between. Other then that, walking and lots of stairs.

I was walking to work and back for a while (45 minutes each way), but I would end up being so tired at work I needed a nap, so I had to nix that.

In January I am joing this weekly prenatal yoga session. The focus is on breathing techniques and opening up the pelvis.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#9 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
Lauren31: I'm seriously amazed by your exercising...and you're even farther along than me! How do you walk for an hour without having to use the bathroom? Am I abnormal?

I feel like I can't do too much. As soon as I start some cardio, my belly really tightens up. I have to take it quite a bit slower than pre-preg. Does anyone elses belly tighten up quite a bit when they start cardio exercise?
I start having BH whenever my heartrate goes up.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#10 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I start having BH whenever my heartrate goes up.
Me too. When I'm stressed or angry too. Unfortunately, that is more than I'd like it to be. I'd like to work on this, but we're seriously stressed at this house the next month or two with DH's job search and interviews. Great timing.

Last time I was able to keep up a good gym routine, but this time we don't have a gym to go to, so I just count on walking DD into town and back. It's a good 1.5-2 miles round trip and there is a big long hill. Other than that, just some pelvic tilts. I've decided I was overdoing it and just exhausting myself. I think my weight gain has been somewhere in the 25-30lb range at this point (my scale is really old and bad). It's about the same as last time (I gained 45 last time- a ton at the end that was water rentention when the weather changed to hotter). My tummy hits my legs as I go up steep hills or stairs. It makes me feel pretty awkward. I also count on the bathroom at the public library any time I get into town and I always need it.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#11 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Um, you mean that we're supposed to exercise?

haha. Kidding... I am not regular about it but I do TRY to go to the gym 2-3 times a week just to do the eliptical or treadmill and watch tv or read on my kindle. Until a few weeks ago I was doing my yoga flow/mat pilates mix class 1-2 times a week (with some modifications). At least I write that many sessions in my calendar, but honestly there was only about 10 weeks after morning sickness that I stuck with it. These days I have been lazy lazy lazy, but do go to prenatal yoga once a week and do certain poses and stretches every night.

Funny thing is, the time period that I gained the most weight was when I was exercising the most. blah.

I can't wait to get back to my normal routine after the baby is born. DH works out at the gym before I even get out of bed so hopefully I can fit in my sessions after he gets home from work.
#12 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM

I've been blessed with a very easy pregnancy thus far. I swim laps twice a week, am lifting weights for 30 min then working out on a cardio machine for 30-45 minutes two times a week, walk twice a week and doing prenatal yoga at least once a week. I am definitely more winded, but I'm thrilled I've been able to keep up a weight-lifting sequence this long.

I'm planning on running a 10k at the end of June and then training for a triathlon or 1/2 marathon in the later summer/early fall. If I didn't push to workout now and work to not "overgain" due to lack of exercise, I'd fear I'd be less motivated to get back up and on track after birth. I'm pretty confident in getting back into working out after birth, starting out walking and going to yoga and then picking up the pace and adding addt'l training as my body allows!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#13 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM

Last pregnancy, I did really well with exercising. Walked every day, sometimes twice, took a prenatal yoga class and went swimming once a week in town and also got on my eliptical trainer a few times a week and watched tv while pedalling. I felt great.

I haven't been exercising as much as I probably should be this pregnancy. I feel pretty good, but definately more tired this time and not as motivated to work out. We live on a farm and I still do some farm chores, feeding chickens, horses, dragging hoses, chipping ice, etc but my husband does the harder chores. I play with my toddler of course and do still go to the pool once a week with my little guy but we just wade in the water so not really much for exercise but its still feels nice on my belly lol
#14 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 PM

I am swimming 2-3 times per week. I also do yoga at home daily. I would love to walk more, but until DH gets home it is dark. I do walk on our property when I can.

: : ::
#15 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 PM

Ok, I figured out that for every load of laundry I do I have to take 288 stairs. That counts as exercise, right?

#16 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Ok, I figured out that for every load of laundry I do I have to take 288 stairs. That counts as exercise, right?
Heck yeah that counts as exercise!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#17 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 PM

I call it cleaning up after 7 kids....

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#18 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
hehe yep!
#19 of 19 Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Heck yeah that counts as exercise!
Specially if you do as much laundry as I do!!! (And since you have more kids, you probably do more!!!)...

I am just dying for baby to come so that I can get back into some exercise. With all my pelvic pain, and working 12 hour shift, plus kids, plus just being downright exhausted all the time... I am looking forward to just doing walks with the baby once he is here!!! For now... keeping up with daily life feels like too much, so exercise is long gone!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page