Weekly chat thread Jan 18- Jan 24 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=punquin;14966805]For you CDing mamas - I need some advice!

My DH is not on board with CDing, so we'll be using disposables for our newborn. I'll already be the only source of food, and I don't want to be the only one doing diapers as well (he does not want to change any clothe diapers). Once he goes back to work, I will still be home with baby, working full time as a contractor for my current company. Since I'll be the one diapering during the work day, I though part-time cding might be nice.

Can you recommend what I'd need for part-time cding a 1 mo+ - preferably the easiest to wash/maintain and with the least start-up cost?

QUOTE]

I def think that prefolds can be the cheapest, but do require a bit more "work" than all in ones or pocket diapers. Greenmountain diapers is my go to for prefolds (we are using these right now). They also give a lot of good advice about how many you need, etc. We are using only 6 preemie ones right now and 4 covers because at night we actually have a good bit of sposies that were given to us as gifts. My thought is that they are already purchased and will be used anyway, so we might as well use them (and hubby is on board with CD, but not the prefolds, yet).

After Felix is about 10+ lbs, we will convert to our bumgenius one size. I LOVE LOVE these. We do have some fuzzi bunz, but we do better with the velcro closure rather than snaps. I prefer one size because with the insert, I feel like i can get the diaper cleaner rather than have it all in one. But that is TOTAL preference. They are expensive...not doubt, but soon we will be using the same diapers for both a 20 month old and a newborn. We have about 15 of them...but the other thing is that our 20 month old is in childcare and wears 7th generation sposies there, so we could probably need more if he was at home.

cotton babies is a great site, as is kellys closet and pinstripes and polkadots. We got most of our BGs at kellys closet, but that is because I searched for coupon codes (totally recommend that!) and they had the best ones at the time.

Feel free to call me/facebook me or e-mail me if you have more questions along the way. You know how to reach me DDC buddy!

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#92 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punquin View Post
For you CDing mamas - I need some advice!

My DH is not on board with CDing, so we'll be using disposables for our newborn. I'll already be the only source of food, and I don't want to be the only one doing diapers as well (he does not want to change any clothe diapers). Once he goes back to work, I will still be home with baby, working full time as a contractor for my current company. Since I'll be the one diapering during the work day, I though part-time cding might be nice.

Can you recommend what I'd need for part-time cding a 1 mo+ - preferably the easiest to wash/maintain and with the least start-up cost?

---

Re: internal exams. My OB doesn't normally do them at the 36w when she takes the GBS swab, but she did for me as I was having cramps all day. Turned out to be wicked diarrhea on the way. Fun!

My DH was the same way when I decided to CD my oldest at around 9 months old. He refused to have anything to do with them. So I did all the diapering (and hand washing at that time because we didn't have a washer and dryer in our apt.)

When we started having some issues with life in general (I miscarried, he lost his job) I went back to disposables. It took him remembering how $$ diapers get and how much they stink and how quickly they fill up the trash for him to realize they are awesome

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#93 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Stephanie, have you looked into gdiapers? They are a cloth/disposable hybrid, and they just came out with a newborn package that seems really reasonably priced to me! Looks like it's out of stock right now, but 12 nb and 6 sm diapers, plus a pkg of their disp. inserts (you can use cloth instead of the disposable, or do a combination of the two) for $150 is pretty darn good! And they are easy to use--no pins, no folding, etc.

I just wonder if maybe a system like that might convince your dh to give cloth a try....you could "save" the disposable inserts for him to use, and use cloth for after he goes back to work. They aren't the cheapest system, but still cheaper than full-time disposables. About the same cost as if you used only something like 7th generation or other more "natural" disp. brands.

You'd still want to prolly buy a couple dozen prefolds to use as inserts with the gdiapers (they sell cloth inserts along with the disposable inserts, but I think buying prefolds would be cheaper.), but prefolds have TONS of uses--burp cloths, etc.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there; if we hadn't just had to replace our washing machine, I would have LOVED to invest in the gdiapers nb package!!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#94 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Prefolds and covers are the cheapest, but if you think you can try to convince your husband to cloth diaper full time you might to buy a few pockets too.

My husband (even with practice) is scared of prefolds. I think it will be easier once the baby is here, but I'm glad that I also have some NB fitteds and pockets for when the baby is 10+lb (will use the pocket system for daycare as well).

I don't have any actual experience with the washing and all that but did quite a bit of research while figuring out what will work for us.
#95 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM

good to know everyone's experiences re: the GBS test - I am glad I didn't hear her wrong, I would rather be in charge and do it myself.

I will still have it done, but agree the better route is probably just monitoring the mom in labor. I just don't want it to have any impact on how soon I can check out of the hospital after the birth. I have heard that they often want to monitor the baby a lot longer if the mom didn't have the GBS test done and I would rather just get it out of the way now so I can get the heck out of the hospital after the birth - and here's hoping I "pass" next week :smile
#96 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyR View Post
Prefolds and covers are the cheapest, but if you think you can try to convince your husband to cloth diaper full time you might to buy a few pockets too. My husband (even with practice) is scared of prefolds.
Prefolds are the cheapest, but if you have any hope of convincing a reluctant DH, I would vote for at least a few BumGenius or Blueberry One size pocket diapers - they function pretty much exactly like disposables AND they are a good investment since they grow with your baby - something my DH is a big fan of.

What I did the first time around is to buy a couple of a bunch of different kinds (Fuzzibuns, BumGenius, Happy Heinys, prefolds, kissaluvs, etc) - bought many used - and tried them out. Some diapers just don't work on some babies (i.e., Happy Heinys were just too trim for my chubby boy and we had blowouts every time we used them - so I'm glad I didn't invest in a whole stash of that variety, kwim?) Diaperswappers.com is a great place to find gently used diapers, as is the TP here at MDC.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#97 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
Plus it'll be three lovely days without a dramatic spat about whether or not I am "crazy" for not wanting to vax our preemie yet. And by "yet", I simply mean before my husband has read ANY kind of literature on the subject! (How is that not reasonable?!) But I digress... Yay, weekend!
Have a good weekend on your own!

My cousin had a preemie (28 weeks) and she got her baby vaxed with 6 shots (who knows how many different vaxes in there) at 2 months old and 8lbs! I just about died.

Mama to three

#98 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I have a lot to mull over.

I don't think DH would ever have the patience for prefolds, though I did just buy and wash a 6-pack to use as burp cloths. I don't have pins or whatever is used with them. I think I'd need to get something that grows with baby for him to be okay with paying for any fancy CDs.

I have some time to figure it all out I guess...

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
#99 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM

We wrap our mattress in plastic (polyethylene 5 ml, I believe) before the birth, mostly for after the baby is born. You can get a giant roll, enough for a queen size mattress and a toddler bed mattress too, with some left over, for about $5. You never know what might happen to the mattress with a newborn in the bed! We did that day before yesterday, actually, so now we're all set for water breaking. My water broke as the beginning of labor last time, but it was just a trickle - I made it out of bed without getting anything on the sheets that time.

These are my favorite diapers right now (of course, I haven't actually used them yet, but I'm very excited to have a few finally): http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=1825

They're supposed to fit 7-35 pounds, so they might be an idea for your husband. We got regular AIO bumgeniuses for my son, and he's been in them for two and a half years, so they hold up quite well.

My midwife home visit was yesterday. Yay, I feel like things are coming together! Of course, I have to keep telling this baby not to get born this weekend. My mom is on her way to Panama, and my husband is leaving for Atlanta tomorrow (only about 4 hours away). February would be best. Hear that, baby?

My midwife told me she thinks the baby is probably 5.5-6 pounds right now. I started to worry too, just a little! But then I remembered that I'm only 36 weeks, 35 if you go by ovulation... and I looked back at my notes from my first pregnancy. I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks to see if he was breech, and they estimated his size at 6 pounds then, too. A week later when he was born, he was 8 pounds. So let's not worry about size at this point. The midwife was just trying to tell me that I have a few more weeks to go, I think.
#100 of 107 Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Hey everyone! It's been a busy week-not sure if I've even updated on here.

aramat-a weekend to yourself sounds like a good idea and some breathing room that you need.

GBS--I got the swab Wed, but he didn't do a perineal/anal swab-just vaginal. I did get a vaginal exam, but I could have refused obviously. I had been having contractions and I was curious if they were doing anything to my cervix--no apparently

CD-I wimped out on the idea of prefolds. I had such high hopes for them, but I ended up getting some fitteds on diaperswappers and as a gift and I love them. So then I made a bunch of NB fitteds since the idea of folding a prefold on a baby freaked me out--I mean, I haven't changed a diaper in 10 years or so! I don't think I can do prefolds yet.

OB visit--so I went to the OB Wed and won't see him again (hopefully!) He told my MW ad me that it will be a "tight squeeze", especially if the baby is much bigger than 8lbs so if he came early it would be better. I'm a little paranoid now, while at the same time "pshing" his lack of faith in my pelvis. My mom really does have CPD-she couldn't have pushed out anything other than a 5lber-it surprised her old school OB that just thought everyone would have a baby eventually. I ended up being chin first and stuck after 40+hours and one of the very few c-sections in this rural hospital at the time (no epidural or interventions-just stuck). Obviously I've not examined my mom or anything, so I guess it's possible that she doesn't have CPD, but this was not a cut-happy Dr so I tend to believe it. I guess I thought I was ready for a 10 lb baby down there, but now in the back of my mind I'm worried my genetics will win out.

We met with a ped today and he seemed really nice. Practically everyone I asked recommended him. He was very pro-breastfeeding and gave us lots of support and helpful tips about the first few days since the baby won't be seeing him probably before my milk comes in. One of the nurses is also a LC and they encourage new moms to call anytime there is issue and she and the other nurses can help with latch, etc. They work with alternate/no vax schedules which is nice. We haven't decided what we're doing exactly, just that we want to wait and he said people do that all the time. He also has different forms of the vaxes and will order others if you decide you want other ones. I don't anticipate seeing him all the time, but it's nice to have someone friendly and laid back if we need him.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#101 of 107 Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Ok, hopefully I didn't kill the thread for this week!

Just your weekly reminder about the spotlight thread if you have a moment to hop over there. There's just a few mamas left!!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#102 of 107 Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Mommy2Austin: You seriously handwashed the diapers? . DH was exactly the same: never has washed a cloth diaper, it was totally up to me b/c it was my thing, I guess. He wouldn't hardly put one on DD. I really liked our FuzziBunz, but I didn't try anything else. I have the medium size and they fit her for ages and I'm planning to use them with the next baby, after the initial newborn phase. I'd like to say I'd handwash them if our washer broke, but... I just don't know how much I can handle yet with 2 kids. How do you do this? As soon as it's warmer out and we've adjusted a bit to everything, DD1 will have to start seriously potty training. She's 3 in May, but I haven't done much about this and am not planning to for a few months. I'm worried about being able to afford disposable diapers for 2 kids!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#103 of 107 Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I spent WAY too much money on my newborn diapers . Being a first timer I got all eager and over indulged. Especially since they won't last so long size wise. I got lots of brand new fitteds.

Well, I will tone it down for the next batch! I have been spending so much money on stuff lately I am freaking myself out a bit- but just feeling like- must have this and this and this. okay. Mostly we have been having house repairs done and got our new bed and then baby stuff. I know there is not too much I actually NEED for the baby but I went a little nuts. Not too bad- just- stuff. Anyway- got that big shopping thing out of my system, now I will tone it way down.
Other than that I am feeling really antisocial. I got invited the other day to a lovely gathering of women- some I know and some I don't- at a neighbor's house- really close, just down the road. And I didn't even go! I am like super private these days. Anyone else feeling that way in response to being very pregnant? I am just hanging out with dh mostly even though there are plenty of social things I could do.
#104 of 107 Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I have been spending so much money on stuff lately I am freaking myself out a bit- but just feeling like- must have this and this and this. okay. Mostly we have been having house repairs done and got our new bed and then baby stuff. I know there is not too much I actually NEED for the baby but I went a little nuts. Not too bad- just- stuff. Anyway- got that big shopping thing out of my system, now I will tone it way down.
Other than that I am feeling really antisocial. I got invited the other day to a lovely gathering of women- some I know and some I don't- at a neighbor's house- really close, just down the road. And I didn't even go! I am like super private these days. Anyone else feeling that way in response to being very pregnant? I am just hanging out with dh mostly even though there are plenty of social things I could do.
Totally the same for me on both counts! This month has been crazy for expenditures for us, actually last month I think was our lifetime record. We moved into an apartment which required two months rent as deposit, first months rent plus a steep agency fee. We also bought a second hand car without financing. Plus it was Christmas... You can imagine! This month we have finally started to buy baby stuff, and while I am always trying to look for the best prices on stuff (second hand, ebay, etc.) I am still a bit worried that it will never end, haha! Things will be better once my husband receives his first paycheck from the new company he started with.

Juan is going skiing tomorrow and it kinda makes me happy that I don't have any social activities to fulfill. Ever since I got pregnant I have lost my desire to hang out with people other than DH. I think he thinks I'm weird! Oh well. I'll be online looking at baby stuff we still need to buy .

My family = me + dh & ds +
#105 of 107 Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biennourri View Post
Mommy2Austin: You seriously handwashed the diapers? . DH was exactly the same: never has washed a cloth diaper, it was totally up to me b/c it was my thing, I guess. He wouldn't hardly put one on DD. I really liked our FuzziBunz, but I didn't try anything else. I have the medium size and they fit her for ages and I'm planning to use them with the next baby, after the initial newborn phase. I'd like to say I'd handwash them if our washer broke, but... I just don't know how much I can handle yet with 2 kids. How do you do this? As soon as it's warmer out and we've adjusted a bit to everything, DD1 will have to start seriously potty training. She's 3 in May, but I haven't done much about this and am not planning to for a few months. I'm worried about being able to afford disposable diapers for 2 kids!
I was only washing for one at that time, but I was commited to making it work...and it did for a while. When my oldest started to potty train/learn I kept him in sposies and used cloth on my youngest. I still have yet to find a nighttime solution to hold up to my power pee-er so we use sposies at night.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#106 of 107 Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 AM

I hear you on the money issues--we've ended up spending a lot of money on birth expenses, some baby items, home maintenance/repair, plus some unexpected and costly veterinary care for my dog. We're feeling pretty broke!

Haven't spent too much on diapers this time though, but I did get a couple dozen preemie prefolds for this baby--DD was about 6 1/2 lbs and gained slowly, so the newborn size prefolds dwarfed her for the first month or two! I figure that the preemie size will fit the baby for the first few weeks folded in 3rds and laid in a cover, and then afterwards will be really good as doublers or pocket diaper inserts. I got a couple more NB size/small covers and one nb size pocket diaper I think for this baby, too. And I knit two pairs of nb size longies, and will hopefully be able to knock out at least one soaker or so before baby comes. Now that I'm all prepared for another little baby, watch me end up having a 10 lber!

I've had a bit of a rough time the past few days, not sleeping/resting well and feeling sort of discombobulated and zonked out. Ended up having a bunch of contractions last night for a couple of hours, which happily eventually fizzled out, since I'm a couple of days short of 36 weeks and really the midwife wants me to get to 37 weeks for a homebirth, which I agree with. But I really, really, REALLY don't want to go to the hospital--so I want this kid to stay in for another week at least! I'm just not quite ready, at any rate, pragmatically or emotionally. Although I must admit that I'm getting to the point where not being pregnant is starting to look pretty good at least some of the time and I'm getting a bit more curious and impatient to see this baby, find out whether it's a girl or boy, see what it looks like, etc. Hard to believe that I'm getting so close, though!
#107 of 107 Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 AM

100% of the expenses we've had so far have been food related. Wanted to have the suppliments, herbs, etc... to support the birth...wanted to freeze food. Wanted to keep the fridge full...of course those are just my issues from my previous birth where the house was empty and there was NO one to bring us any meals.

Anyways, I have some stuff...Wish I had more freezer space and room..but have some stuff, so feel better.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page