Anyone using a maternity support belt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really want one and I'm having THE HARDEST time deciding on which one to get. There are several different designs and I need one that will work for a big belly sticking straight out! I've read all of the reviews on Amazon...but when I read a couple bad ones out of 20 good ones, I get all confused. I hope someone on here has some good suggestions.
#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've been thinking about it, as I have pretty severe round ligament pain a lot of the time. This baby has just been soooooooooooooo low for a long time!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#3 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am. I have a pretty severe case of SPD (thankfully it's been significantly better since he dropped!) and needed to wear my belt from the moment I got out of bed til the moment I got back in or the pain would be excruciating. Now I can get away with only wearing it if I'm gonna be up and about for more than 30 mins - 1 hour.

I have http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...tegory_Id=MC32 and I can't even begin to tell you how much it helped me. It has a lot more support than any of the other ones that I've tried on. It fits easily under my clothes and I've managed to not have to take it off when I go potty (which is really helpful when you're out in public!).

I won't say that it's the most comfortable contraption in the world, but it's better than the other ones I've tried. I found that the other ones put a lot of pressure on my bladder and made me have to pee allllllll the time. This one didn't do that. The pressure and support was much more evenly spread out.

Good luck. I hope you find something you like!

Jackson Steven born 02/24/10! <3
#4 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM

I use a Medela support belt (that could be what's in the Motherhood link; it tells me I'm in Canada and just redirects me to the main Canada page).

Not pretty, but if I'm going to be on my feet for any length of time, it definitely keeps my belly more comfortable, and yes, I'm sticking out all in front.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 AM

I have the same one as Lan, and if I remember I put it on if I'm going to be on my feet for awhile walking around. It isn't very comfortable to wear while sitting.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#6 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lan84: What are the other kinds that you've tried?
#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I'm not Lan, but I've also tried this style and didn't find it to be nearly as effective as the one I have now and that Lan posted previously.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#8 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM

I am not wearing a maternity support belt, but I am wearing an SI support belt. My doc sent me to a prosthetic supply place (or something like that) and wrote a prescription for it. My insurance covered 80% of it (so I only had to pay $17), and they fitted me for it to make sure I got the right thing. They also had a maternity support belt they had me try on, but it wasn't right for the pain I was having.

I have a friend who wears a maternity support belt from babies r us and it is really stretchy and she says it is pretty comfortable. She wears it low enough that it helps her SI pain, but it is wide enough it also supports her belly. Mine isn't that wide, so I don't think it would help her. I hate having constricting things on, so that wide belt would drive me insane!!!
#9 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I don't recall the brands of all of the ones that I've tried. I would try them on in store and walk around for 15 mins or so to see how they felt. Sit down, stand up, etc to get a good feel.

Most of the other ones that I've tried have been similar to (and including) the one that NicoleS posted. They're very thin and I don't find it gives any support. With how thin it was, it smushed up under my belly and pushed hard into my bladder.

I find the one that I use helps more because it's wider, has a much more spready back support, and the band that goes over the belly really helps to redirect the pressure and relieve it from my pelvic area. It's also sturdier than the thinner belt ones.

There are other brands that make similar belts. Amazon has a bunch and some are cheaper than the one sold by Motherhood. Everyone will have a different taste depending on how they're carrying and their body shape though. I know some women who swear by the thinner belts and find the one I prefer to be less comfortable. I'm carrying VERY low, so for me it works well.

Jackson Steven born 02/24/10! <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page