Help! Medication issue! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have felt for weeks now that I had a bladder infection, but my urine has seemed fine. Today it was absolutely cruddy looking (visibly) and the NP at my practice checked it and found I have a UTI. She prescribed Macrodantin, which I have never taken before. I was about to take the first dose, and I was reading through the pharmacy pamphlet about it. It says in big, bold letters that you SHOULD NOT take Macrodantin when you are at term (38-42 weeks) of pregnancy. Uh??? What the heck? I am 38 weeks yesterday, and she knows that. My pharmacist knows I am on prenatals, but I guess didn't think to ask me. So I called the pharmacy, but no one is there. I am not taking it, but what would you all do? I am having lots of pulling, burning, etc, but I am absolutely not taking something that is clearly marked unsafe for me and the baby. I can't figure out what is wrong with it - not a lot of luck with web searches - but if the pamphlet says it, that is enough for me.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#2 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
So I have felt for weeks now that I had a bladder infection, but my urine has seemed fine. Today it was absolutely cruddy looking (visibly) and the NP at my practice checked it and found I have a UTI. She prescribed Macrodantin, which I have never taken before. I was about to take the first dose, and I was reading through the pharmacy pamphlet about it. It says in big, bold letters that you SHOULD NOT take Macrodantin when you are at term (38-42 weeks) of pregnancy. Uh??? What the heck? I am 38 weeks yesterday, and she knows that. My pharmacist knows I am on prenatals, but I guess didn't think to ask me. So I called the pharmacy, but no one is there. I am not taking it, but what would you all do? I am having lots of pulling, burning, etc, but I am absolutely not taking something that is clearly marked unsafe for me and the baby. I can't figure out what is wrong with it - not a lot of luck with web searches - but if the pamphlet says it, that is enough for me.
For now I'd force fluids down my throat as fast as I can......if all you drink is water don't forget to eat a pinch of sea salt with each glass......and keep trying to get ahold of a doctor or NP

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I am drinking a lot! What does the sea salt do?

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#4 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Oh geez!! Hello?? I live by concentrated pure cranberry juice...chug it!! And even get some cranberry caplets at the store....but I'd for sure skip those meds!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Thanks - I am drinking a lot! What does the sea salt do?

If you drink water too rapidly without adding salt it can throw your electrolytes out of balance and cause water poisoning.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#6 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 AM

I would not take the medicine. And then I'd probably cry and feel sorry for myself. And then down as much liquids as possible. They do make an "adult" pedialyte for keeping electrolytes in balance, otherwise the kid stuff works for adults too...if you want to alternate that with water and cranberry juice. I hope you get some relief soon!

Mama to three

#7 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

I was just diagnosed w/ a UTI too and my midwife said to absolutely not take macrodantin. It can cause hyperbilirubinemia in the baby when given close to term. I would definitely not take it and call back to get it changed.

Amanda, wife to A , mama to D ('05), O ('07), and W ('10)
#8 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabus View Post
Oh geez!! Hello?? I live by concentrated pure cranberry juice...chug it!! And even get some cranberry caplets at the store....but I'd for sure skip those meds!
I didn't want to say this again as I post this to every uti question! But I agree with this! I like to get the pure cranberry juice and mix it into water to make it palpable.
I also agree not to take the medicine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page