Anyone else can't find a name you love? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't find a name I love, except names that sound almost exactly like dd1's name, so can't pick them.

I guess I just have to pick something, anything. I hoped to find one I loved!

Anyone else feel like you're just going to have to pick any name you can live with?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

me!!! What is your DDs name??

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#3 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am still undecided on name for baby. I find names that I like ... But then I think the name is not quite right for this baby. I hope seeing her reveals something.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
every single name anyone suggests I am like, no, no, no! IT feels like such a big thing- to name the baby! I just have no idea.
#5 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM

us - we have lots that are 'ok' but none that stand out. we too are hoping that it will help when we see her, but i am worried that we don't even have a short list. And what's worse is I don't even feel like we're putting effort into it - sort of like we're expecting the inspiration to come to us after she's here, and I do think that's dangerous!

FWIW, our sort of short list but nothing stands out yet names:

Ava
Amelie
Cassie
Imogen
Olivia

I think of all of them, Ava is my favourite at the moment, and sounds OK with DD's name, Eden

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#6 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM

I tihnk my problem is that a lot of my favorite names are "popular" now... Sophia, Charlotte, Olivia, Elizabeth. UGH. It's like everyone is over the Jessicas, Tiffanys, Nicoles of my generation. I just don't know what to do. Is it really bad to use a top 100 name?? My short list that DH agreed to (cause really, he is the bad guy here with all of his vetoes).
1. Anneliese 2. Ruby 3. Adelynn 4. Amelia 5. Elisabeth

#7 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Several of our names that we like are in the top 10. That somewhat bothers me, but since I am having a hard time finding a name, I cannot omit those ones!

Now a days, a name in the top 10 is used much less then a name in the top 10 20 years ago.

Olivia and Ruby are both on my list too . I like Imogen too!

My list is Eve, Ruby, Olivia, Iris, Magdalena, OLIVE (my favourite). Lucy, Ella, Ava , Eva ... it goes on. Problem is ... I dunno!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#8 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I tihnk my problem is that a lot of my favorite names are "popular" now... Sophia, Charlotte, Olivia, Elizabeth. UGH. It's like everyone is over the Jessicas, Tiffanys, Nicoles of my generation. I just don't know what to do. Is it really bad to use a top 100 name?? My short list that DH agreed to (cause really, he is the bad guy here with all of his vetoes).
1. Anneliese 2. Ruby 3. Adelynn 4. Amelia 5. Elisabeth
I have the same thing. I like some top 10's and top 100's but refuse to use anything in top 100! That makes it difficult. Plus, I have to look at the top 100 for the US, where I'm from, and the UK, where I live! And they're very different! Every name I like shows up in a list of at least one of the countries!! I'm becoming obsessed now and can't stay off these forums and naming websites.

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#9 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM

We had a really hard time too - though we had it picked out a few months ago, then it just wasn't sounding as good to me anymore. We just finalized the name yesterday, at 4 days old....I thought people were obsessed with wanting to know the name before he was born but it was was worse after! So, our 'baby' is now Tanner Evan!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#10 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
congratulations on naming the baby mtnmoonmama.
#11 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM

I feel like I just can't commit... We have some pretty names in mind, but I don't want to pick one, it scares me for some reason! Dunno, the midwife says we have three weeks after the birth before she needs to send off the paperwork with the name on it. Heh, I'd rather not wait that long, but...
#12 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM

We are not set at all either. The only name I love is Elsa. But DH is not on board with that. We both like Greta. But DS's name is Grayson and I don't want two "Gr" names in a row.

We are not even close to agreeing on anything. 5 weeks left...we shall see.

Mama to three

#13 of 20 Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 PM

Hmm, I am struggling with names as well. I am starting to lean to looking to meanings more. My problem is that I am from South Africa, and I am Afrikaans (a bit like Dutch), so the names that I like often have rolled r's or funny g's. DH is American and even if he can say the names, not many Americans I know can. It is hard to find names that work in both languages... and cultures.
We didn't have a name for dd at all either though, and sort of thought she would be a boy, mainly because no girl names were "coming" to us. She was named about a day after birth. And actually dh paged through a corny name book that we had laying around and really quickly found one that just seemed to fit her and would work for both languages. It makes me relax about this little one a bit more. That we will know what to name him when we meet him.
#14 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
We are not set at all either. The only name I love is Elsa. But DH is not on board with that. We both like Greta. But DS's name is Grayson and I don't want two "Gr" names in a row.

Greta is too cute! I think it's nice with Grayson

AFM-- What are your thoughts on the name Leah? I love the sound of it but then think, is it kinda boring? I like Amelia bc then I can always call her Lia but she can go by Amelia as an adult Amelia (Lia) Ruby ??? or Leah Anneliese? Leah Ruby??

#15 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Hmm, I am struggling with names as well. I am starting to lean to looking to meanings more. My problem is that I am from South Africa, and I am Afrikaans (a bit like Dutch), so the names that I like often have rolled r's or funny g's. DH is American and even if he can say the names, not many Americans I know can. It is hard to find names that work in both languages... and cultures.
We didn't have a name for dd at all either though, and sort of thought she would be a boy, mainly because no girl names were "coming" to us. She was named about a day after birth. And actually dh paged through a corny name book that we had laying around and really quickly found one that just seemed to fit her and would work for both languages. It makes me relax about this little one a bit more. That we will know what to name him when we meet him.
oooh I am so with you. I am American and DH is Israeli...and finding names that work in both languages are quite a bother. For example, I came up with a beautiful name...that has the gutteral "ch" sound. Sounds absolutely lovely in Hebrew, but probably will be an issue in English. Then I've got another name that sounds so fresh and rad in English, but in Hebrew it's totally overdone in religious circles and not really original at all. I'm sure it's the baby's name...but the question is, is it his first or middle? Then we've got another one. It's not really a name in Hebrew, but it IS a word with a very specific and totally awesome meaning. It could be a name in English...kinda...theoritically, though I've never heard it used in my language EVER as a name. If so, it would likely be used for a girl, though it doesn't sound girly WHATSOEVER!!!! And, as an added bonus, the last two names I just mentioned COULD be percieved as girl names when an American says them with an American accent. Though neither one of them SCREAMS girl or anything. But still, might work to a disadvanatge for a man in the USA. So, it's like, would I be raising my son to live in Israel or there? And if so, how would each name affect him differently.

We totally scored with our other two kids though. Their names are totally original and unique in both languages, but with a whiff of "familiar" enough that people can latch on to it and pronounce it. We nearly ALWAYS get "oh what a beautiful name!" when we say our daughter's name in the USA and "oh what a beautiful name!" when we say our son's name here in Israel. Lol. Daughter's name sounds a bit too foreign to Israelis, perhaps, and ditto with dh's in America.

So complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Greta is too cute! I think it's nice with Grayson

AFM-- What are your thoughts on the name Leah? I love the sound of it but then think, is it kinda boring? I like Amelia bc then I can always call her Lia but she can go by Amelia as an adult Amelia (Lia) Ruby ??? or Leah Anneliese? Leah Ruby??
Leah, in Israel, would be read as Lay-uh which is also very pretty and not boring. I think in the USA it would be read as "Lee", right?

Lia was on our short list for DD. we had actually given her the name in utero and it wasn't until the 8th month that I was like "wait a minute...this is ALMOST her name, but not quite." It wasn't because I didn't like the name. I LOVED it. But it just wasn't quite her energy. She was a bit quirkier and spicier than that. We ended up with a name that is close, but very different. lol. At any rate, I had had a friend who was named Mia but then was adopted and her adoptive family changed it to Lia. She was a STUNNING, smart and beautiful woman, so I always had positive associations with both names (Mia and Lia).

Have you tried just sitting still and tapping into your baby's energy. Just thinking about what kind of person she is...or what you feel she is. Even a hope or dream of what you would like for her to become (I'm thinking positive qualities here, like friendly, or caring, or loving...not a doctor or a writer, etc...that will just land you in bad bad territory about unrealistic expectations, etc...) then you can take a name that reflects that and start looking there. I think you are too worried about the actual sound of the name and what she can do with it if it doesn't pan out (Lia to Amelia etc) but the fact of the matter is that if she doesn't dig her name, she will just go by something else whether you gave that name to her or not. I did that, actually. And so did my mom. Several times, actually. So you go for what FEELS right instead of SOUNDS right and listen to your gut.

Also, you DON'T KNOW until you see the baby. Plain and simple. You can get close...you can even get the name, but when you SEE the baby and try the names on, THEN you know.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#16 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 AM

DDC crashing from the March DDC.

I'm in the same boat as jul511riv and in a similar boat as SAmama - I'm American, my DH is Israeli and we're planning on raising our kids in both countries. We didn't decide our DS's name until walking up the stairs to the bris after all the guests had arrived, however it was on our short list and we were leaning towards it. This time we don't even have a short list. It's so hard to find a name that's semi original and fits in two different cultures.

I don't have any suggestions for picking names but I feel your pain! Good luck to you all. I've settled on the notion that it'll just come to me after I see this one.
#17 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Have you tried just sitting still and tapping into your baby's energy. Just thinking about what kind of person she is...or what you feel she is. Even a hope or dream of what you would like for her to become (I'm thinking positive qualities here, like friendly, or caring, or loving...not a doctor or a writer, etc...that will just land you in bad bad territory about unrealistic expectations, etc...) then you can take a name that reflects that and start looking there. I think you are too worried about the actual sound of the name and what she can do with it if it doesn't pan out (Lia to Amelia etc) but the fact of the matter is that if she doesn't dig her name, she will just go by something else whether you gave that name to her or not. I did that, actually. And so did my mom. Several times, actually. So you go for what FEELS right instead of SOUNDS right and listen to your gut.

Also, you DON'T KNOW until you see the baby. Plain and simple. You can get close...you can even get the name, but when you SEE the baby and try the names on, THEN you know.
That is a good thing to do. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am not following my gut because I do not want to disappoint anyone, relatives, friends, etc. It sounds incredibly stupid but this whole naming thing is almost like a reflection on ME! you know? What will so and so think about this. When really it should be about finding the perfect name for the baby. I think with all of these requirements I am putting on myself that it's almost limiting my baby name choices! Like it can't be too popular, it has to sound right, has to honor a loved one, has to be semi-germanish. PLUS my DH has to like it which is a huge hurdle bc he says nope, terrible for almost every name. OK, rant done. I will try your meditating exercise. I have heard many people suggest just looking at the baby and seeing what comes to me but I don't want to mess it up and regret it you know??? It seems like a HUGE decision that will impact this baby forever.

#18 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Crashing in here to say, wait and find a name you love. And, you will "know" once the little one arrives....even if it is days later. No worries.

My short list with my last included Bridget and Lilly. DH wanted Jennifer. After five days we agreed on Anne....and I still LOVE her name. (Annie)! I love all my kids' names and much thought went into each and they were all named days after they were born.

Best wishes to you and everyone here!

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#19 of 20 Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Naming IS a big deal!

This baby isn't named... and it makes it trickier not knowing the gender so we have to come up with name lists for a boy *and* a girl. There's a list I like, but included on there are names I'm not really sure I'd actually name a child -- I just happen to like the sound of the names

So.. I'll just have to wait and see!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#20 of 20 Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Greta and Grayson together. I like it WAAAY better than Elsa and Grayson. These are very German sounding names...were you going for that or was it just coincidence?

I'm thinking of reversing the order of the names that we were considering. Basically we've got 3 names that we keep considering. Well, for DH, he's only really considering 2 of them. I think these are the names, but I am open to the possibility of something coming to me after he is born and before the brit (where he will officially get his name) one week later.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page