Most Amazing Hospital Visit..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just got back from a session in tended to introduce us to the 'low dependency labour suite' at my hospital. I should say that I only have the choice of two hospitals, and was really only going to this one because my experience of the other one last time was simply awful.

And I'm over the moon! They are light years ahead of my other hospital choice! They talked about optimal fetal positioning, active labouring, use of essential oils and massage, use of birthing pool, minimal examinations & interventions, and even natural delivery of placenta (not clamping until after cord has stopped pulsing), and encouraging at least an hour of skin to skin (inc breastfeeding) with mammy straight after birth.

I'm sooooooooooo happy

Honestly i'd begun to really worry about this labour / delivery, thinking it was going to end up like last time, because all the things I'd tried to teach myself about having an active, natural labour would be taken out of my hands one I reached the hospital, but the whole philosophy there couldn't be more in tuned to what I'm looking for, I'm now really looking forward to it and confident of a positive outcome. Come on baby, I'm ready!!!

Just wanted to share

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#2 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Yay! Sounds awesome!

Mama to three

#3 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM

what a breath of fresh air, that all sounds wonderful!
#4 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM

that is great! Must be such a weight off your shoulders. So happy for you!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#5 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Fantastic! Is it in Teeside area? I can't remember where you're located exactly. I guess I'm going to Durham University Hospital. I haven't heard any complaints. I'm going to maybe sound like a jerk, but I WAAAANT my OOOWWWN ROOOOOMM!! I seriously could not sleep even in a private room last time around and this time I'm told I could be in a room with 2 other women and their babies? I'll be crazed!!

I am looking forward to being handed that cuppa tea at the end of labor. I think that is so wonderfully British.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#6 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Wow; that's fantastic! I'm a bit jealous!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM

That sounds wonderful!
#8 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I know, I'm so lucky. i can't believe you guys don't even get gas and air - which makes the whole avoidance of medication thing so much easier (I think gas and air doesn't count )

Maggie - it's the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough. Not the closest to me, but close enough. And you get your own room - it's like a holiday inn room, with en suite corner bath. You labour in there, deliver in there, have chill time / skin to skin, and the dads are even allowed to stay over! You have the room for up to 24 hours, but they encourage you to go home as soon as you feel ready.

Seriously miles away from what I experienced 3 years ago.

Can't you ask to go there????? It would only take you half an hour to get there...

PS I was born in Dryburn hospital in Durham, but think they knocked that down a couple of years ago?

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#9 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM

Sounds fantastic. Maybe I'm chicken, but 45 minutes away from my first baby sounds scary (as opposed to just across Durham). We now don't have a car anymore either . I was the only driver in our family anyway. DH didn't want to committ to that whole ordeal to get the UK license, which I totally understand.

I hope you have a much, much better experience and are able to have the space to birth your baby with minimal interventions! Have a wonderful birth!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page