Do I suck it up, or take it easy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
About 2 1/2 weeks ago I was on bedrest for just 5 days, and since then I've stopped exercising and not doing very much in the way of errands either. I'm afraid that I'm losing all endurance I've managed to maintain/build up and I know that being physically active is good for labor, but I don't know where to draw the line as far as not overdoing it.

My belly tightens up or has just those tightening (not too painful) contractions as soon as I start walking. My low ab muscles & general groin area is so sore (maybe from little contractions going on?). My belly is so big, out there, and I'm short. I just don't know if these means I should sit around all day or just keep doing my usual, even though it's physically uncomfortable. ...and I just get tired so easily, and I wonder how much of that is from my lack of activity the last few weeks, and how much is from just being pregnant. Oh, and I don't want all of this non-exercise to affect my blood pressure. I'm thinking about going to the pool today...but I'm a little hesitant, because I ended up with preterm contractions last time I tried swimming. (not immediately after though, so maybe it's not related)

Sorry for the ramble. Wondering what you ladies think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should try to do something, even if it is just a short walk outside, or even short walk in the pool. You will feel better for doing it and, IMO, help with keep BP down.

Mama to three

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

I agree. Just do a little. Go for a long walk, slow pace, or short walk normal pace! Or swim, tread water, float... It's certainly beneficial and if you can rest after, all the better.

I have the same concern about getting tired easily and wonder if its due to slowing down and lack of activity or being pregnant. I know at first it was due to pregnancy, but has it now affected my cardio? I do a lot of practice breathing...I worry about running out of breath/hyper ventilating during labour.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM

yes, I would try to do something, even if it's small - do some stretches (it would probably help with the pelvic pain) and any pool work sounds wonderful because it will keep you moving and will help with any swelling you might have.

Easier said than done, I know - and I don't even have any of the previous bedrest concerns.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Have you looked into pre-natal yoga? Some of it is not very strenuous at all, but still helps to keep muscles strengthened. The book, "Active Birth" has some good stuff in it.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM

I've been feeling similar, plus some bouts of stronger contractions [plus now I have a cold ], and I've been taking it easy and laying around. My blood pressure was even lower at my appt. yesterday than before I started laying around, if that helps at all...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM

I'd say play it by ear. I get contractions every time I walk around, and have some pretty painful pelvic things going on too... but at the same time not only do I get annoyed at myself if I sit around too much, I also go a little crazy!

The yoga is a great idea, and going for slow walks (with lots of "escape routes" if you can!) sounds nice too. Don't push yourself.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would say take it easy for a few days. I have periods where I will do no exercise for 3 or 4 (or more) days- as I did the other week. I think my body just needed to rest. Now I am more eager to get some exercise at some point in the day.
So I think if it hurts to, don't force it. And maybe in a few days you can do a little more. Sometimes I think it is good to give in to total relaxation with no pressure for a while.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!

I think part of the problem is that those mere 5 days of bed rest put it in my head that activity=bad, so I sort of feel like I'm doing something wrong or harmful if I am active, especially when it's uncomfortable. Does that make sense? If I had the baby now, it would be totally fine, but I still have that mindset from before.

I decided to run a few errands today, which involved a fair amount of walking...and I survived. I think I'll try swimming tomorrow. For pre-natal yoga, my only option right now is the shiva rea dvd at the library (which I'm tired of) and just looking up poses and doing them...which I guess I could do.

My BP is fine. I just was thinking about it because yesterday my friend, who was doing a homebirth, had to do a hospital transfer because her BP was too high, (but she also had protein in her urine & swelling) and I know she wasn't active at all...so of course I start wondering how my BP is doing since I've become less active.

User Tag List