Weekly chat thread February 1 - February 7 - Mothering Forums

#1 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Happy February!

How is everyone doing? For many of us here it being February means babies are coming any day now! For me, due Feb 24th, I still feel that I have 3-4 weeks- though I know baby could come any time now too.
Home stretch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just thinking the same thing! I can't believe this month is already here!
I'm getting super anxious after seeing all of the babies that have been born over the past few weeks and my EDD is the last day of this month!!

Had a busy weekend. Went to get my maternity photos done on Saturday morning w/ DS and they turned out really cute. Can't wait to surprise DH! Then went to Chuck E Cheese's for a b-day party and then had a Mary Kay party that night at my house. Sunday, went to an event at the Zoo and then out to lunch with my FIL and DS.

Still feeling pretty good. Swelling has subsided quite a bit in my ankles, which is awesome.

I hope everyone has a great week!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Moving my post over...

TMI! I think I am starting to lose some mucus plug. Big snotty glob on my first wipe. But it wasn't bloody - does it need to be? I'm sure I'll be on tp watch all day now!

Still getting BH every 5 - 15 minutes around the clock. Every now and then some period cramps will creep in. We walked a mall for hours yesterday (it's too snowy here to walk outside - not to mention 19º F!) The exercise helped me to be much more comfortable in bed last night. I was able to sleep through contractions except about once an hour when my bladder would have something in it again and the contrax would squeeze it. I still feel like a zombie today, and for some reason I feel on the edge of tears, though I'm not upset over anything. Weird.

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
#4 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

So glad it's Februrary! Now it feels like it's officially ok for me to really want to be done with pregnancy.

I feel so torn about the whole thing though. For one thing, my %*(##&$(# birth tub is STILL MIA!!!! ARGH! If I had known this would be such a hassle to borrow it from the midwife, I would have just purchased a dang fishy pool. As it is, I'm just waiting on the woman in front of me to have her baby - she has got to be overdue by now, so I'm just hoping that the full moon this weekend sent her into labor, since it didn't work for me.

The other reason I'm not 100% ready is that my mom, who is DS's support person, won't be here until the weekend. My dad is bringing her...and I love my dad and all but I emphatically do NOT NOT NOT want him there for the birth. He is a total crybaby worrywart and is not happy that we're doing a homebirth. If he happens to be here when I'm in labor, I'm kicking him out to a hotel or something, no joke! I don't need negative energy here AT ALL. He'll be leaving either Sunday or Monday, and my mom will remain with us.

Does anyone want to go into labor on Superbowl Sunday out of spite? If it weren't for my dad still being here, I totally would.

Reasons I'm ready to go early, despite the no pool and no mom: the heartburn is killing me. I had granola with yogurt this morning = heartburn. I can't have anything with tomatoes...I'm just so over it. Every time I pop a TUMS I'm scared that I'm going to get a kidney stone. The chiropractor seems to work for about a day, but then it's back the next night. I can't afford to go everyday!

And I just want to sleep on my back!!!! My ears and hips are so sore, I'm so sick of it taking me 2 minutes to roll over every hour and getting contractions all night from having to pee.

Also, we watched home movies of DS last night as a baby, and it got me sooooo in the mood to hold a baby again! Squeeeee!!!!!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#5 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM

FEBRUARY 1! Go, mamas; it's your birth-days!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#6 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Tomatoes = Killer heartburn! And, I agree with the sore hips/ears. I hate sleeping on my side and the pain of it wakes me every half hour to flip. I miss sleeping on my tummy!

#7 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM

I've got 4 weeks (give or take) left and my home visit today! I had a quite a busy weekend - Friday night friend's birthday party, Saturday cake tasting all day for a wedding I'm in, then 4 hours of work, and yesterday I got the baby's room done! And DS's room somewhat changed into a "big boy" room. No more changing table or rocking chair for him He's okay with the switch though, I put a potty chair where the changing table used to be. We'll see how that goes. I'm taking a break from getting the rest of the house ready for the home visit because I'm just exhausted. That was the busiest/most productive weekend I've had in a long time.

For those of you with heartburn, DH swears Kefir clears his up instantly. Otherwise what about trying some apple cider vinegar? Mine heartburn is so intermittent, but when I have it, nothing helps. And everything causes it.

I had a revelation last night during one of my many trips to the bathroom...I'm only gonna get more tired when this baby comes! I know I should have known that, but for some reason I was thinking once the baby is here, no more waking up to pee! yay! But waking up for baby will probably be even more frequent.

Mama to three

#8 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post

Still feeling pretty good. Swelling has subsided quite a bit in my ankles, which is awesome.
did you do anything special? I have been drinking SOOOO much water, drinking dandelion root tea, and still... nothing. The swelling snuck up on me last week and hasn't really went back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
So glad it's Februrary! Now it feels like it's officially ok for me to really want to be done with pregnancy.

I feel so torn about the whole thing though. For one thing, my %*(##&$(# birth tub is STILL MIA!!!! ARGH! If I had known this would be such a hassle to borrow it from the midwife, I would have just purchased a dang fishy pool. As it is, I'm just waiting on the woman in front of me to have her baby - she has got to be overdue by now, so I'm just hoping that the full moon this weekend sent her into labor, since it didn't work for me.

Does anyone want to go into labor on Superbowl Sunday out of spite? If it weren't for my dad still being here, I totally would.
ohhh, I hope the birth tub gets passed along soon!

I have 2 dates I do NOT want to labor/deliver on - this weds. b/c DH and I will both be out of town for work. He will be in Seattle and I will be down by the ocean. And then - the this Sunday b/c of the Superbowl. He's from Indiana so I don't think I would possibly have his full attention that day. If it was anyone else playing I would totally love to have that story to tell... hah.

We went on a tour of hospital yesterday. It was ok and the nurse that showed us around was actually really pro-natural childbirth and out of all the couples on the tour we were the only ones that said we were interested in staying after for that component. So she showed us the tub rooms, spent a lot of time going over the "birth bed" and told me stories about recent natural births using the birth stool and squat bar, etc. So now I just have to cross my fingers that I get a nurse like her and can get one of the rooms with a labor tub (they don't "allow" births in the tub but you can labor in them).
#9 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM

My EDD is this Saturday and the midwives and my naturopath think I will go early so it could be any day now...or not. I am starting to get those phone calls..."are you in labour yet?" no one has SAID that, but that is the gist. We've been busy so I haven't talked to my mom and a few friends for a few days and they are calling here first thing in the a.m.! Anyone else dealing with that? This is my first, so I knew it might be coming, but I am already excited/anxious enough!

since I lost some mucus plug not this weekend or the weekend before, baby has inconviently turned posterior, despite hours per day crawling and cat stretching and laying over a birth ball and doing hypnobabies. AND it was lready engaged. I can only think the chiro adjustment may have turned it, and hopefully the one today will turn it back! still having super loose bm's and occasional period-cramping feelings. I really thought this weekend might be it but DH (of course) got his first cold in years and I sorta told myself to wait.

I know it is early but I am considering less invasive "natural induction" stuff, especialy if I can get baby turned, and especially considering that half the days of the week mean a long car trip elsewhere to have the baby due to ob shortage. Maybe acupuncture...or even just listening to the birthing time hypnobabies cd's (anyone else done this?) I am trying to figure out if my body and baby are NOT ready how likely these are to force things? Dtd maybe when DH is less snotty! m

I'm not just feeling impatient, but also like sooo ready, if I felt less ready physically I would want to wait but...

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#10 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, it looks like tomorrow I am going in for the glucose test. Ya, I know most of you got it a lot earlier. I was living in Sweden and they don't do most of the tests required in other countries. There are concerns that our baby is big, high amniotic fluid levels and even perhaps a higher level of fluid on the brain, so the doctors here in France decided 'what the hell' and will now test me for GD. He has admitted that there is nothing that they can do, my diet seems fine, but that it would be a good thing to know. So, think of me tomorrow morning, sitting in a waiting room high on sugar, probably with the biggest headache of my life (not eating and sugar is almost guaranteed headache), for two hours. I would have rather done this in Sweden .

Most of the baby clothes are washed now. I can hug them and smell them. I really feel blessed.

I have to pack my suitcase! I still need a few more things on the list for the hospital, but I feel like I am finally getting down to the end of the line. Wow, I am gonna have a baby in a couple of weeks! I just want him to be happy and healthy, that's all I ask!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#11 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
punquin I didn't have bloody show until a while into labor- after water broke and lost some of clear mucus plug. To me, the contractions felt like period cramps for a little bit- like maybe ten min but I was fully dilated in less than 3hrs- so who knows? I was sooo teary and just plain emotional for 48hrs before. Poor DH kept asking what was wrong, nothing really was but then everything was too ykwim?
Hope you all feel so much better so soon, I remember the annoyance of waking up to pee/just turn over/ just wake up! I have to say, even with marathon nursing sessions in the middle of the night, I am not as tired postpartum as I was pg! Thinking about all of you!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#12 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Heartburn: I swear by baking soda and water (1/4-1/2 tsp in about 4 oz of water). Seriously. I know it sounds gross, and I admit the flavor is not good (I chug it as fast as I can), but the relief after drinking it is almost instant and the heartburn doesn't come back like it does when I've tried other things.

Was up half the night last night with cramping/contractions. Nothing regular and they finally went away. I blame sex and I'm so tired and irritated about the lack of sleep today that I told DH I'm resigning from sex until I hit 40 weeks because I don't want to deal with being up all night for nothing. Not to mention, it's not even fun anymore and it certainly doesn't feel all that great anymore either.

I never had anything more than random BH contractions when I was pregnant with DS (and labor was still only 5.5 hours), so these off and on contractions have been a new thing for me... and I'm seriously getting annoyed by them.

Part of me is so done with being pregnant, and another part of me is perfectly fine with it taking another couple of weeks. Mostly I just want to feel normal again; physically, mentally, emotionally.

Hopefully this baby ends up with his own birthday. There are SO MANY February birthdays in this family, but I'd really like his day to be special and not end up being a combined birthday with others. :/ People already try to do that with DS even though he has his own birthday. I guess I'm kind of weird about that.

Anyway... I'm just hanging around, being neurotic about cleaning, trying not to go crazy because I'm suddenly extremely BORED but feeling very reclusive at the same time so I don't really feel like doing much outside of the house or getting together with people.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#13 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

11 days "to go" (LOL).

I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. I'm ready. I have a few things around the house I can tidy.. but if the baby came right now, we'd be good. Come on, baby!!

Punquin - I lost my plug with DD all at once (about 5 hours before my water broke and contractions started), and it was completely clear.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#14 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulawoman View Post
I am starting to get those phone calls..."are you in labour yet?" no one has SAID that, but that is the gist.
UGH! I started getting those calls when I hit 36 weeks!
Really, people?!
One day last week I got TEN phone calls (some repeats b/c I wasn't answering) during a 3 hour period (I was trying to nap!) and about lost it. Unfortunately I can't turn my phone on silent because I wouldn't want to miss a call from DS's school if they need me for some reason.

I ended up making a twitter account and emailing everyone the link and told them that if they HAD TO know what was going on with me every day that they could check there. Otherwise, they will get a call/text when something REAL starts happening.

I don't really need everyone else's anxious energy right now about "how many contractions have you had today?", "how far are you dilated?!", "has baby dropped?", "how are you feeling?", "feeling any different?". Blah blah blah.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#15 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exhausted, weepy, grumpy, lots of mucous, contractions here and there, diarrhea this morning... I have to be getting close, right?

Only I'm not ready. We all have colds, and I want to feel well when the wee one comes.

Also, does anyone have these weird pain/electric/shooting sensations in their legs from time to time? I've noticed them when sitting on the toilet if the baby is moving... like my leg hurts and feels limp. Is the baby pressing on a nerve or something?

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#16 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punquin View Post
Tomatoes = Killer heartburn! And, I agree with the sore hips/ears. I hate sleeping on my side and the pain of it wakes me every half hour to flip. I miss sleeping on my tummy!
My heartburn triggers have been juices - whether it's from TJ's, V8 Splash, Minute Maid - It's driving me crazy!! I'm so tired of taking these antacid pills.

#17 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyR View Post
did you do anything special? I have been drinking SOOOO much water, drinking dandelion root tea, and still... nothing. The swelling snuck up on me last week and hasn't really went back down.

ohhh, I hope the birth tub gets passed along soon!

I have 2 dates I do NOT want to labor/deliver on - this weds. b/c DH and I will both be out of town for work. He will be in Seattle and I will be down by the ocean. And then - the this Sunday b/c of the Superbowl. He's from Indiana so I don't think I would possibly have his full attention that day. If it was anyone else playing I would totally love to have that story to tell... hah.

We went on a tour of hospital yesterday. It was ok and the nurse that showed us around was actually really pro-natural childbirth and out of all the couples on the tour we were the only ones that said we were interested in staying after for that component. So she showed us the tub rooms, spent a lot of time going over the "birth bed" and told me stories about recent natural births using the birth stool and squat bar, etc. So now I just have to cross my fingers that I get a nurse like her and can get one of the rooms with a labor tub (they don't "allow" births in the tub but you can labor in them).
I've been a good amount of water, juices, green tea - staying off of my feet as much as possible and when I'm off my feet making it a point to keep them elevated! I've also stopped wearing athletic socks that cut off right at the ankle and keeping up with the sea salt instead of table salt. Seems to be making a big difference.
I started having pain in my right ankle last week - right below the outer bone - and that has disappeared completely.

#18 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM

Oh, and I think we made the final decision on the baby's name: IAGO.

My preferential delivery date is at least 5 days before my mom arrives, Feb 19th. They will keep me in the hospital for that long and I can't have visitors, so I don't want her sitting around in our apartment all alone.

My family = me + dh & ds +
#19 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajenism View Post
UGH! I started getting those calls when I hit 36 weeks!
Really, people?!
My dad has started calling every day. It's not like we wouldn't tell him when I go into labor - he's the only one allowed to visit at the hospital (baby's only living grandparent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai View Post
Exhausted, weepy, grumpy, lots of mucous, contractions here and there, diarrhea this morning... I have to be getting close, right?
I'm with you on all of that except I'm not quite having diarrhea - just loose stool and only mucus once so far. I've cried twice already today and I am just so done done done. Done with working every day. Done with being pregnant. Unfortunately, neither is under my control. I have to work as long as possible due to finances, and of course baby is on his own schedule. I've had several people tell me that it's like the baby knows when you reach your breaking point and then arrives. Hello, breaking point, nice to meet you. AHGDGW@%GDH&@!! Just so frustrated today. *head desk*

#20 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I've had several people tell me that it's like the baby knows when you reach your breaking point and then arrives. Hello, breaking point, nice to meet you. AHGDGW@%GDH&@!! Just so frustrated today. *head desk*
I think I'm almost there. Everyone says "make sure you have stuff to do" which I DO but I don't want to do it! Everything essential is done anyway, now I just want to prowl around like an animal. And I feel so unreasonable, teary etc. alternating with very zen and happy. The chiropractor just told me she is pretty sure she'll be seeing me NEXT Monday...agh! All the stuff about being patient, it's so damn hard!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#21 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

I second the baking soda & water for heartburn. That works for me. Though I have to say, I'm feeling great all of a sudden! I've been in so much pain & discomfort the past few weeks, killer pubic pain, hips, heartburn, insomnia, you name it! The last few nights have been blissful! I'm thinking my body is giving me a break before the babe gets here.

Re: the mucus plug, I've always lost mine at the beginning of labor and it's never been bloody, just kind of mucusy green like snot. (I know, I know, TMI)

So I did a stupid thing yesterday and spent way too much time watching Discovery Health. Now I've got a head full of parasitic twins & babies with no faces.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#22 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
My dad has started calling every day. It's not like we wouldn't tell him when I go into labor - he's the only one allowed to visit at the hospital (baby's only living grandparent).

I'm with you on all of that except I'm not quite having diarrhea - just loose stool and only mucus once so far. I've cried twice already today and I am just so done done done. Done with working every day. Done with being pregnant. Unfortunately, neither is under my control. I have to work as long as possible due to finances, and of course baby is on his own schedule. I've had several people tell me that it's like the baby knows when you reach your breaking point and then arrives. Hello, breaking point, nice to meet you. AHGDGW@%GDH&@!! Just so frustrated today. *head desk*
I promise all of you soon you will be thinking, "how did I get here with a little baby on my boob?"

I think the mucus plug is so individual--some lose it early, some lose it all at once, some over time, some with blood, some not. BUT, I think no matter what, it is a sign that you won't still be pregnant in five years.

One of the signs I had with this pregnancy right before I delivered was a mood shift. I was cranky, bitter and generally a scrooge (not like me). And the unprompted crying happened, too. Oh, and that obsessive need to get a hot dog from Five Guys--never had a big processed meat product craving (I also got a McD hamburger on the way to the hospital! Who does that?). That was 2 days before I delivered.

Call/e-mail/facebook me if you need someone to moan to, Punquin! And when things really start rocking and rolling, let me know! I keep thinking of you...it's fun to be on this side of the due date buddy...the countdown!

(BTW, despite the aches and pains, you are still absolutely glowing...)

And to all other Feb DD ladies, this is YOUR month! I anxiously check this site each morning (well, and throughout the day) for new babies!

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#23 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Reading all your posts about being emotional, mucousy, diahhrea-y, etc...has reassured me I'm not too close yet. My only complaints at the moment center around DS. Who is either acting up because of his age (21 months) or because he knows that someone new is coming soon and he's not ready for it.

-----
linchi : maybe this was discussed before, but I never really looked at these weekly chats until last week. How come you can't have visitors and have to be in the hospital 5 days? That seems like a really long time!

-------

Anyone else not have a name yet? DH and I are still not even close to agreeing. It feels so weird to not know, since last time we knew the sex and had name picked out by 25 weeks.

Mama to three

#24 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I've had several people tell me that it's like the baby knows when you reach your breaking point and then arrives. Hello, breaking point, nice to meet you. AHGDGW@%GDH&@!! Just so frustrated today. *head desk*
darn, no one shared that tip with me! During the days I am still ok, but at night when it hurts to roll over, is a struggle to get out of bed, and my arms ache/fingers are numb I feel like I'm getting there...

I too need to work until delivery, b/c I want to spend all my FMLA time with the baby AND if I can hold out until my due date I will be out until mid-May and my BFF is coming sometime that month. She doesn't finish her residency until the end of April and I really want to be off work still when she can come visit. I haven't seen her since my wedding in Hawaii almost 2 years ago!!
#25 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM

OMG, I have another rant. Bad karma is hitting me in the last few days for some reason. Today I woke up to a really odd smell in the house--kind of like nail polish remover. Couldn't find the source. Finally figured DH must have polished his shoes or something, and that my super-pregnant nose must just be really sensitive. Have frustrating conversation on the phone with insurance agent about my banged-up car ("systems are down" so they couldn't even schedule an adjuster yet, f-u Allstate ), and am having a difficult day with my DD. Then we're finally kind of slipping into a better place with some good music on, and she's dancing around and I'm sewing, and I see some dude in protective clothing walking around door-to-door. I answer him at mine, and he asks if we've noticed an odd smell in the house today. He suggests we open all doors and windows (it's below freezing) and maybe want to leave for a little while, as there has been a chemical spill in the area. He assures me there is "no risk of explosion" but that the smell might make us nauseous. No kidding! I have a huge headache. So luckily we had my mom's car, so at least after we turned off the heat and opened our windows in the freezing cold, we were able to drive her car out of our neighborhood. WTF?? Why did it take them all day to tell me?? I'm pregnant--I DO NOT WANT TO BREATHE TOXIC CHEMICALS! I don't even know what it was, but it sure smelled ick. So frustrated with annoying things beyond my control!!!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#26 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have one of those count-down things on my igoogle, and it is kinda freaking me out that it is now T- 14 days. I went to a prenatal yoga class Friday and the instructor asked if anyone was due in the next three weeks for the energy circle labor thing. There was this moment of "oh shit!" when I raised my hand.

I hope that I can go a little later than my edd on Valentines Day. Maybe go to San Fransisco and go bar hoping, and have dinner with friends and walk around aimlessly by myself. I'm ready on all practical fronts, I have all my homebirthing supplies together, a hospital bag just in case, diapers are washed, and 0-3 clothes are in drawers. I just would really love to have, I don't know four more weeks to feel really, ready. To be bitching about how this baby won't come out and to be totally sick of pregnancy.

As for pregnancy, it is getting harder to move around. Getting in and out of bed is a chore, and my hands have started swelling at night and a pretty painful to move by morning. Going out for a trip to the grocery store definitely calls for a nap afterward and I have been sleeping 10-12 hours a night on top of that (with the 4-6 trips to the bathroom). Somedays I am able to walk for an hour to the store and back other days I am barely mobile. Pregnancy is such a strange new normal.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#27 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Does anyone want to go into labor on Superbowl Sunday out of spite? If it weren't for my dad still being here, I totally would. [......]
And I just want to sleep on my back!!!! My ears and hips are so sore, I'm so sick of it taking me 2 minutes to roll over every hour and getting contractions all night from having to pee.
Not out of spite necessarily...although everyone here is about to lose their minds over the Saints, so my annoying neighbor would probably be passed out drunk and not trying to come get my DH to have a beer with him. The evening of superbowl sunday would be just perfect. Or tonight, tonight would be great too, baby!!

I have to get DH to help me out of bed 2-3x a night to pee and he's like a zombie. Doesn't even remember the next day usually. So, what is the deal with having to pee and contractions?? I get them more after I've finally gone to the bathroom, but it's irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajenism View Post
Was up half the night last night with cramping/contractions. Nothing regular and they finally went away. I blame sex and I'm so tired and irritated about the lack of sleep today that I told DH I'm resigning from sex until I hit 40 weeks because I don't want to deal with being up all night for nothing. Not to mention, it's not even fun anymore and it certainly doesn't feel all that great anymore either.
[...]
Hopefully this baby ends up with his own birthday. There are SO MANY February birthdays in this family, but I'd really like his day to be special and not end up being a combined birthday with others. :/ People already try to do that with DS even though he has his own birthday. I guess I'm kind of weird about that.
Sex is too awkward. We DTD yesterday and it was pretty much hilarious, but the contractions afterward lasted like 30 minutes.

I have no less than 12 February birthdays in my family and everyone wants the dude to be born on their birthday. I so hope he isn't. I'm hoping for 2/2, 2/8, or 2/11. So, if I go past that, then I'll be a sad lady-although, I'm due on the 19th, so I'm more than likely to go until then.

So, talk to me about contractions, ladies. I'm very confused about the differentiation between BH, "real" contractions, period cramps, etc. I'm one of those women with terrible wake me up in the middle of the night, cramps from boobs to knees, and take 8 ibuprofen periods. I have a pretty high pain tolerance otherwise....so, I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is anything at all? If it doesn't hurt awful, I tend to ignore them. So, I've been having period-like cramping after sex, peeing, middle of the night, randomly. Are these BH? Or are BH supposed to be stronger or painless or what? Right now they're at the uncomfortable, noticeable, and annoying phase, but not really what I would consider painful.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#28 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
Sex is too awkward. We DTD yesterday and it was pretty much hilarious, but the contractions afterward lasted like 30 minutes.
Yeah, the thought of DTD makes my SKIN CRAWL!!!! I know about the sperm prostaglandins, blah blah blah, but I seriously think I'd rather just stay pregnant than deal with sex right now. I'm past the point where I'm like "Oh, pregnant women are so sexy and cute!" and onto feeling like a TOTAL freaking whale with red pimply spots all over my lower extremities...not to mention I outweigh DH by at least 25 lbs, I pretty much have no hope of actually "enjoying" myself...and ugh, it just makes me feel gross to think about it. I'm envious of you ladies that can still be in the mood.

Quote:
So, talk to me about contractions, ladies. I'm very confused about the differentiation between BH, "real" contractions, period cramps, etc. I'm one of those women with terrible wake me up in the middle of the night, cramps from boobs to knees, and take 8 ibuprofen periods. I have a pretty high pain tolerance otherwise....so, I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is anything at all? If it doesn't hurt awful, I tend to ignore them. So, I've been having period-like cramping after sex, peeing, middle of the night, randomly. Are these BH? Or are BH supposed to be stronger or painless or what? Right now they're at the uncomfortable, noticeable, and annoying phase, but not really what I would consider painful.
Hmmmm...I guess my take is that contractions are on a continuum rather than just being one or another, but I might be wrong about that. I tend to think that true BH contractions are just the tightening feeling of the uterus, without any pain...then there are the ones that kind of hurt...I tend to think of those as practice "real" contractions. You'll know when you're in labor though - they increase in intensity and become regular...and when you can no longer carry on a normal conversation before and after contractions, then you know you're close-ish and it's time to head to hospital or call the midwife. That's my take anyway!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#29 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the thought of DTD makes my SKIN CRAWL!!!! I know about the sperm prostaglandins, blah blah blah, but I seriously think I'd rather just stay pregnant than deal with sex right now.
A few weeks ago, I was all about sex but got cut-off because it was causing me contractions all day and I wasn't at 37 weeks yet.
Now that I'm 37+3 weeks, I feel like you do. The only reason I even DTD last night was because of the prostaglandins to help soften my cervix, but I don't think it will be happening anymore unless I'm overdue.

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmmm...I guess my take is that contractions are on a continuum rather than just being one or another, but I might be wrong about that. I tend to think that true BH contractions are just the tightening feeling of the uterus, without any pain...then there are the ones that kind of hurt...I tend to think of those as practice "real" contractions. You'll know when you're in labor though - they increase in intensity and become regular...and when you can no longer carry on a normal conversation before and after contractions, then you know you're close-ish and it's time to head to hospital or call the midwife. That's my take anyway!

I actually never realized, or believed, I was in "real" labor with DS for quite awhile. My contractions, while the tightening spread over more of my core (wrapped back to front and all the way up), they weren't painful for me. I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart and no one at the hospital believed me because I never had to stop and breathe through them. This lasted for about an hour before I hit transition. Once I hit transition and was getting to the point of pushing was the only time I was in any amount of pain and really had to breathe/focus. That was only the last 30 minutes of my labor before DS was born.

For me:
-- The cramping is similar to menstrual cramping. Somewhat painful and constant, but no tightening of the uterus. I also usually feel pain in my cervix area. I'm assuming that this is when my cervix is working on softening/dilating. I have no idea.
-- BH contractions aren't painful at all, and tend to only happen in the front and low... usually not getting any tightening above my belly button. I can usually continue to walk through them.
-- Real contractions wrap around from my back to my front and up to the top of my uterus. The tightening is stronger than BH contractions which can make it a little difficult to walk through them. They're more uncomfortable.

Like I said, that's what it was like for me with DS and so far it's been the same this time. FWIW, I have a very high pain tolerance.

My midwife is constantly telling me that I need to call her when I sneeze because she's afraid I won't call her in time otherwise. She has about a 25 minute drive with no traffic.

#30 of 180 Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basje View Post
Somedays I am able to walk for an hour to the store and back other days I am barely mobile. Pregnancy is such a strange new normal.

It reminds me of the way people talk about terminally ill patient -- because of "good days" and "bad days". Some days I can't even tell I'm pregnant. Other days I could sleep all day and still be tired.

HappiLeigh -- That totally sucks! I'm glad you were able to get out, but they really should have told you sooner!!! And I thought you were supposed to be in "good hands" with Allstate. Those liars.

Mama to three

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page