What are ya'll doing for bottles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm gonna breastfeed, but I think I need a few back up bottles for expressed milk too, right? So, what do you ladies have for bottles? How many and what sizes do I need?

I believe my requests are simple. I'm not a fan of plastic. If I could eradicate it from my life I would. So far no dice. So, I'm trying to start with taking plastic out of my kitchen, and more specifically the things my son will end up ingesting.

I'd like to get a couple of glass bottles and natural rubber nipples. Can you make any recomendations for that combination? I've seen glass with silicone, plastic with rubber ... My pregnant brain needs help!

Oh, and any suggestions on storing expressed breast milk?

My family = me + dh & ds +
#2 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm wondering the same thing - although I will need a few more once I return to work. I should be able to do one in person feeding (daycare is on site) but will need to send about 2 bottles each day I think.

I didn't do very much research but did get some glass bottles at my shower. I got some basic evenflo ones with the silicone sleeves and I also got the gift set of born free glass bottles from DH's assistant. I hope these ones are good.
#3 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post
I'm gonna breastfeed, but I think I need a few back up bottles for expressed milk too, right?
Not necessarily. I mean, I don't know your situation or your plans, but having bottles--or even expressing milk--is definitely not a necessity!

I was given a cute plastic baby bottle as a shower gift (thanks, mom! ) with my first baby, and it has never been used for anything but storing diaper pins!

I did use the avent bottles that came with my manual pump a few times with my first child while we were trying to deal with his tongue tie, but if I were ever faced with a situation like that again, I'd choose cup or syringe feeding over artificial nipples. I pretty much only use my pump if I'm painfully engorged and baby has trouble latching on. Sometimes I'll pump a bit to squirt in baby's (or the other kids) noses/eyes when we are sick...

Just saying that unless you already know your circumstances will require that you be separated from your baby for some feedings, then just give some thought to *why* having bottles on hand ahead of time seems necessary. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but honestly, it is one of those small, subtle things that really can undermine your breastfeeding success!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#4 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM

I got a couple of Dr. Brown's, but I want to get a couple of the evenflo glass and born free also. Babies are all so different with what they'll eat out of, I have no idea what he'll want to use. I'm just waiting 4-6 weeks before introducing any so there isn't nipple confusion. Hopefully he'll take to one of them. I'll only need maybe 1 a day at the most, probably more like 1-2/week for when I am in class just in case the baby gets hungry before I get home.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#5 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm using Avent. While they are plastic, they are also BPA free. I've got (4) 4oz bottles and a package of 10 VIA storage cups for expressed BM. I work full time, so bottles are definitely a necessity for us.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#6 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Not going to be super useful here, but I'll chime in anyways.

I have a one year leave. I don't know about your situation, your original post doesn't say why you want to have bottles.

With DD1, the bottle was occasional and caused a huge amount of stress every time I still thought I had to do it somehow, just because babies *had* to know to take a bottle, right . She had the nurser with drop-ins, I was not worried about it since it was so occasional. That's also what she had in daycare for nap from 1 until 2.5 since she was not willing to change and needed it to have a nap. (We never changed the nipple by the way. She still had a newborn nipple at 2.5.)

With DD2, we decided not to even try a bottle. It is much easier this time. No stress. It is a simple question of she comes with me or I don't go
This one can fall asleep without nursing, so i don't worry about when she starts daycare and she has been able to drink from a straws and sippy cups from about 5 months so I know that would work if I needed... but I don't

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Avent and an Isis pump

in response to above poster, I only used bottles in an Emergency situations--ie I needed to go to Disney without baby when she was 8-9 months. But I has so much excess milk! So I always got another couple bottles worht thqat I would use in cereal and in the sippy.

SHE hated them!!!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#8 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM

I did Dr Brown bottles with my son and do them with my daughter. They have severe reflux, and they are the best for reflux.

They are a pain to clean, but are supposed to be the most comfortable: the design gets rid of the vacuum that is created in a typical bottle. BPA free as well.
#9 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 PM

I worked full-time after my second was born, so she took bottles at daycare and at home with my husband. Glass all the way!! I don't have a link, but I remember reading somewhere that something in breastmilk even sticks to the sides of plastic bottles -- not a huge waste, but a waste nonetheless!

Do they make more than one type of glass bottle yet? I've only ever been able to find the Evenflo ones. They're great, though; they've been dropped a million times on hard wood floors and from crib-height, but only broke when the top was off and the bottle landed on its neck; that is apparently the weak spot.

AND! They fit my Medela pump!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#10 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got a couple of Dr. Brown's, but I want to get a couple of the evenflo glass and born free also. Babies are all so different with what they'll eat out of, I have no idea what he'll want to use. I'm just waiting 4-6 weeks before introducing any so there isn't nipple confusion. Hopefully he'll take to one of them. I'll only need maybe 1 a day at the most, probably more like 1-2/week for when I am in class just in case the baby gets hungry before I get home.
That's what I thought too, at least wait a month or two before even consider using them.

Quote:
I'm using Avent. While they are plastic, they are also BPA free. I've got (4) 4oz bottles and a package of 10 VIA storage cups for expressed BM. I work full time, so bottles are definitely a necessity for us.
The Advent ones are nice! I used them while working as a nanny and they seemed to be very nice for the baby. The thing for me is that even if they are BPA free they are still plastic, and plastic breaks down easier than glass. I know, I'm a bit obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Not necessarily. I mean, I don't know your situation or your plans, but having bottles--or even expressing milk--is definitely not a necessity!

I was given a cute plastic baby bottle as a shower gift (thanks, mom! ) with my first baby, and it has never been used for anything but storing diaper pins!

I did use the avent bottles that came with my manual pump a few times with my first child while we were trying to deal with his tongue tie, but if I were ever faced with a situation like that again, I'd choose cup or syringe feeding over artificial nipples. I pretty much only use my pump if I'm painfully engorged and baby has trouble latching on. Sometimes I'll pump a bit to squirt in baby's (or the other kids) noses/eyes when we are sick...

Just saying that unless you already know your circumstances will require that you be separated from your baby for some feedings, then just give some thought to *why* having bottles on hand ahead of time seems necessary. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but honestly, it is one of those small, subtle things that really can undermine your breastfeeding success!
Ok, I am gonna be a stay at home mom, at least for the first 6 months or so, probably longer. I guess I just thought I'd need at least one on hand or something. It's like the word association game: you say baby ... I say bottle? See why I'm glad I can come here and ask these questions? I don't want to set myself / baby up for any problems with breastfeeding.

So, recap, when I get engorged I should pump. I can freeze that and feed it later in a cup/syringe, or use the milk for it's medicinal properties? If this is the plan the baby won't get confused with bottles/breast and choose to take the easy way out.

Oh newbies

Thank-you everyone for your comments!!!

#11 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought some of this 4 oz evenflo glass bottles:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...roductId=16788

They have pretty good reviews and they're such a good price. I figured I'd start with the cheapest, and if they don't work I can try another type.
#12 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Ok, I am gonna be a stay at home mom, at least for the first 6 months or so, probably longer. I guess I just thought I'd need at least one on hand or something. It's like the word association game: you say baby ... I say bottle? See why I'm glad I can come here and ask these questions? I don't want to set myself / baby up for any problems with breastfeeding.

So, recap, when I get engorged I should pump. I can freeze that and feed it later in a cup/syringe, or use the milk for it's medicinal properties? If this is the plan the baby won't get confused with bottles/breast and choose to take the easy way out.

Oh newbies

Thank-you everyone for your comments!!!
Well, that's what I would encourage, at least at first. Since you have the opportunity to stay at home for now, then my advice would be to reduce/eliminate as much as possible ANYTHING that could be a hindrance to building your bfing relationship! Esp. for the first 6-8 weeks....

The thing is, bottles and formula, etc., are VERY readily available...too available, IMO! So if it comes down to you have no other option for some reason, then it's still just a trip to the store, or making-do with a cup feeding while you order something online. But when you are tired and frustrated and feeling overwhelmed, that 10 minutes to the store and back could be just enough time to take a deep breath, try again...and finally it works!

The other thing is, if you HAVE bottles around, then someone is going to want to use them. Feeding babies is fun, after all! Well-meaning husbands, mothers-in-law, friends....someone is gonna see the bottle sitting on your dish drainer and beg to feed baby...

....and my thought is, why should YOU have to go to all the work and hassle of pumping so that SOMEONE ELSE can sit down and snuggle and feed your baby?? If you GOTTA leave the baby during a feed, at least make it not so fun for them by insisting they use a cup or syringe! Birthing and feeding are the only two things where you can't be replaced--be stingy about them!

Bottom line: Wait as long as you can before bringing a bottle into your house, and you may well find you never need one at all. And if you do go back to work at 6 months, you could probably go straight to a sippy cup for pumped milk, so that bottles are never an issue at all. I totally get what you mean about those word associations, and that is exactly my point--be suspicious of them!

#13 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh Sarah (SheBear), you said it ALL SO WELL!!! Thank you for vocalizing my thoughts even before I read any of the thread

My midwife is very adament about not introducing ANYTHING other than the breast for the first six weeks MINIMUM. She's seen far too many women get into a vicious cycle of "just one bottle" for a baby... but that one bottle feeding means one less feeding at the breast... and the breasts are a supply/demand operation. One less feeding is one less feeding's worth of milk the next day... so then *another* supplementation comes into play, so there's ANOTHER less feeding at the breast, so then the breasts produce even LESS milk and it all spirals downward to no supply.

I'll admit to falling into the trap of thinking I needed bottles on hand with dd3 (dd1 and dd2 were breastfeeding failures on my part.. too many sad factors) even though I had quit my job and was going to be a SAHM fulltime. I was able to narrowly pull myself out of the trap of missing feedings and dd3 and I did go on to a *blissful* 40 month nursing relationship until she weaned on her own.

All that to say, if you're home, you probably won't absolutely HAVE to have them. And if you need them, you can always try to plan accordingly

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#14 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM

I waited until 8 weeks with my first son, and he never reliably took a bottle, which was a real problem when I went back to work at 5 months. I've read since that 3 weeks is a better time to try, and that's what I'll be doing with this one, especially since I'll need to leave him for 2-3 hour blocks a couple times a week by 4 weeks. Of course, I already have my breastpump set up and plan on matching every bottle with a pumping session.
#15 of 25 Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM

I used the classic Evenflo bottles for DD (I went back to work at 6 months). Not that she ever really accepted them, but we made do. We used Nuk nipples with them. We had a whole bunch of other bottles, some bought, some gifted, but those were the ones I felt best using, and seemed to work well for DD.

This time around, since I tossed everything but the glass bottles b/c of BPA, I'll need to unearth the Evenflos at some point I guess. Maybe. I'm taking a longer leave this time and I'm hoping not to have any bottle requirements this time.

There are other glass bottles on the market, but honestly, the Evenflos are cheaper and completely serviceable...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#16 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 AM

I had evenflo glass with rubber nipples for the few times DS needed a bottle. I found out that evenflo tops fit on the medela bottles that I pump into - so that is what I will be doing for this baby. that way I can just pump what I need to the day before or day I'm going to be gone and leave it out or pop it in the fridge (depending on when the bottle will be needed). Way easier than dumping the milk into freezer bags and then thawing. Plus, if you refrigerate the milk in the bottles from pumping, all the "fatty" milk stays in the bottle when you pour it out cold!

Mama to three

#17 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 AM

I had to go back to work after DD was born - when she was 11 weeks old. I would pump, store in bags, and then used Born Free bottles. They did help with her reflux, and they were BPA free. I am planning to use the same ones with this baby, and just replace the nipples and the vents. The bottles are pricy, but I felt they were worth it. Plus, I am a true and total clutz (dropped a set of bowls on myself today -ceramics EVERYWHERE), so I didn't want to go with glass.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#18 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 AM

After meeting with the lactation consultant last week and talking about the whole nipple confusion issue. She was adamant about not nonhuman nipples for the first four weeks if I plan on breastfeeding. I cross referenced her advice and it holds true, if you are going to introduce the bottle the best time is between 4-6 weeks. Reading more I don't think bottles are worth the risk of early child self weaning. Instead using finger and cup feeding if I need to be away is not only cheap, easy to learn and very effective. Here's some information I've collected.

How to finger feed video
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Fin...Baby-106176308

Cup feeding video
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Sup...ding-106168963

More information on alternative feeding can be found at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

If you do decide to use bottles I think the best recommendations I've found are from the Environmental Working Group. They have specific recommendations for safe baby bottles listed here
http://www.ewg.org/babysafebottles

Their recommendations on nipples are that you, "Choose bottle nipples made from silicon. They are the most durable and inert options. Latex rubber nipples can cause allergic reactions and can contain impurities linked to cancer (Freishtat 2002; Westin 1990)."

On bottles
"...parents should still choose bottles that don't leach any BPA. Glass bottles are an excellent choice. More manufacturers are also making bottles and sippy cups out of safe plastics which are polyethylene, polypropylene or polyamide. Avoid all polycarbonate which are transparent (either clear or tinted) and rigid or inflexible plastic. These bottles may be marked with the letters “PC.” Polycarbonate plastics are sometimes marked with the recycling #7, which is a miscellaneous category, so not all #7 plastics are harmful."

On bottle liners "avoid using them - the manufacture and disposal of plastic liners raise environmental concerns. And never overheat formula in a plastic liner. The soft plastic liners may leach chemicals into formula, especially when heated."

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#19 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM

If you are going to go to work when your baby is 6 months old, then your baby will still be needing to get 90% of its calories from breastmilk at that time. That comes down to pretty much ALL of its daytime calories if you want to be the one responsible for introducing solids (fun to do, important to be in control of), and that in turn requires PUMPING and BOTTLES.

Some moms have the luxury of being able to avoid bottles completely. If you aren't one of those moms, then I would anticipate the situation. I totally agree that bottle are only a crutch that can interfere with breastfeeding for the first several (4-6) weeks. Not having to worry about bottle feeding at all may seem dreamy, but on the other hand, if you wait until your baby is 4 or 5 months old, you may be in for a nightmare. If it's going to be a rough transition for your baby, you want to know that when the baby is 6 weeks old so you can work on it before you have to rely on it. I promise: Calling your sitter to find out your little one is screaming and hasn't eaten anything in 6 hours is one of the most emotionally excruciating experiences I've been through as a mother.

And just another couple of things about your recap. You only need to pump when you are engorged if your engorgement is preventing your baby from latching on. It is completely natural and better to work through engorgement, especially in the first week or so, without pumping if you can. Engorgement is generally a sign of oversupply. Pumping will not help to regulate your supply. It will make it worse because it will tell your body you need more milk than you actually need. Pump as a last resort to deal engorgement.

And also, freezing milk actually destroys many of the immune properties of breastmilk. Many of the immune properties are actually time-sensitive in that they are related to the current infection, so if you want to use milk medicinally, you should definitely pump and use FRESH milk, not frozen.
#20 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
No! Don't pump when you're engorged. The more you pump the more milk you will make, thus continuing the cycle. Pumping can also encourage increased edema (swollen breast tissue) which will prolong the engorgement and could make it more difficult for the baby to latch. If you are engorged and the baby is unable to latch, I would suggest hand expressing into a towel to relieve some of the pressure.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#21 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, awesome advice here ladies! You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all the info .

#22 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Just to offer another perspective....I felt like pumping, bottles and formula (gasp!!!!) SAVED my breastfeeding relationship with my daughter. Yes, it's best to avoid nipple confusion for the first 4 weeks. And yes, breast is best. But bottles don't automatically have to be a gateway to weaning. And feeding your baby doesn't have to be a black and white issue between bottle and breast. I had a horrible, painful case of thrush that began when DD was 3 weeks. I honestly think that if I had not had DH feed our baby once a day with a bottle, to give me a break from the pain, I might have given up entirely. The pain was so bad that I DREADED feeding my daughter, which emotionally was really, really hard to cope with. We used bottles (supplementing with formula because I couldn't save any pumped milk because it was contaminated with thrush) and when eventually the thrush cleared up (a whole other story in itself) I pretty much exclusively breastfed other than when I was working part-time, and DD would get pumped milk in a bottle. She nursed until she was 2.5 and I got pregnant with this little bundle. She nursed like a champ and never had any issues with nipple confusion.

I used the playtex drop-in system. I am not crazy about the disposable liners, but my LC recommended them because of the shape of the nipple. Like I said, we never suffered nipple confusion....maybe we wouldn't have with another bottle system, but all the really narrow nipples that I see on most bottles make me nervous.

With this baby, I am going back to work full-time when she is 3 months, so I plan on introducing a bottle around 4 weeks and having DH or DD feed her once a day. DD (3 yo) is very, very excited to be able to feed her baby sister and I am glad that I will be able to have her help take care of the baby in that way. Since I already have them and I liked them, I'll be using the playtex drop-in system again. And I will be pumping and storing lots of breast milk!!!!!

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#23 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM

I get what you are saying, feministmom, and I agree that when you dealing with abnormal issues, a "break" can be necessary for healing or just for regaining perspective. But I think the point I and some of the others are trying to make is that, in the absence of any breastfeeding problems, bottles and artificial nipples can indeed set you up for problems.

And technically speaking, ANY suckling not done at the breast (and this includes pacifiers, artificial nipples, and even thumb-sucking) or any nourishment not from the breast (including formula, pumped milk, water, solid foods) is considered the beginning of the weaning process. Not that weaning is a bad thing; some lactivists act like it is a dirty word, where really it is a normal process of child development. And sometimes things interrupt the breastfeeding relationship temporarily--that doesn't mean all is lost.

But moms need to be aware that there are ramifications to using bottles, artificial nipples, supplementing, etc. They need to know so that they can make the best informed choice for themselves and their babies! Maybe Auntie thinks that giving baby a graham cracker at 5 months would be an adorable photo-op and what's the big deal? Or Mom is exhausted/sore and out of genuine love/concern, Daddy offers to take over the night shift for a feed or two....it might be the very best thing for mom, or it could be undermining the breastfeeding relationship. Mom needs to know the worst-case scenario so that she can make a well-informed decision. Maybe what mom really needs is a different kind of break, rather than a break from feeds.

#24 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freistms View Post
If you are going to go to work when your baby is 6 months old, then your baby will still be needing to get 90% of its calories from breastmilk at that time. That comes down to pretty much ALL of its daytime calories if you want to be the one responsible for introducing solids (fun to do, important to be in control of), and that in turn requires PUMPING and BOTTLES.
I don't considered them required they are still a choice at 6 months... My dd2 could take a sippy and straw cup at that age. That could be a feeding option, depending on the baby of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feministmom View Post
Just to offer another perspective....I felt like pumping, bottles and formula (gasp!!!!) SAVED my breastfeeding relationship with my daughter. Yes, it's best to avoid nipple confusion for the first 4 weeks. And yes, breast is best. But bottles don't automatically have to be a gateway to weaning.
Sounds like it was painful on you. I can only imagine how a relief that one feed was... And that's exactly why there are pharmacies open 24 hours. The OP doesn't need to have bottles ready...

As someone else mentioned, I could totally have seen my mom deciding to feed dd1 without asking me if if I had what she needed on hand... People just want to feed babies for some reason.

And well, even though dd1 did have bottles without true confusion from 1 to 2.5 at daycare, it still affected her latch. She always had a better latch coming back when we were on vacations and stuff and she spent 4-5 days without taking one. I want to avoid that issue with dd2.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#25 of 25 Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Sorry I want to apologize for crashing... Somehow I was under the impression this was posted under breastfeeding, not in a DDC...

Sorry ladies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page