Weekly chat thread February 8 - February 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another week into our month! How is everyone?

So many of our DDC have had babies already! Then we don't hear from them as much which I guess makes sense! I guess when you have a brand new baby you spend a lot less time on MDC than when you are still pregnant.
#2 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Mostly lurk - haven't quite gotten used to NAK and typing 1-handed yet. Today is my first day home alone with all 4. Congrats to all the mommies who have had their babies - sorry that I haven't been offering individual congrats.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#3 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah i don't think it is that we spend less time at least i don't. i just get frustrated w typing w one hand! congrats to the moms w new babes!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#4 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM

I'm starting to lose my mucus plug, woo-hoo!!! Yesterday was pretty uncomfortable - it feels like little dude is grinding his skull into my pubic bone - yow! Also lots of crampiness. DH and I tried to DTD - WOW was that the most uncomfortable experience of my life?!? Had to do it in two stages. And it seriously felt like there was no room for anything, IYKWIM. Ugh. Won't be repeating that experience. Strictly flying solo from now on.

But woo-hoo pink-tinged mucus! I think I started losing it the night before I went into labor last time, so hopefully this is a pretty definite sign for me. I had some contractions this morning, but they were like 10 minutes apart (I think - I was pretty half asleep). But wish me luck, ladies!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#5 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm still here, hanging on and starting to think better later than early! My "due date" isn't actually until March 2, but based on past experience, I've been sort of expecting to go earlier. But now when I see the calendar....and that space between "today" and "d-day" shrinking rapidly....I start to think it wouldn't be so bad to have another March baby, LOL!

The birthday thing is a big issue for me. We have an early Jan birthday, a late Feb birthday (the 28th!) and a mid-March birthday. So in a way, I'd really rather have this baby spaced a bit away from the other birthdays, because we like to celebrate birthdays in a significant (not big or expensive parties, just focus on the birthday person!) way, and I really don't want it to feel like the three birthdays are going to run together, yk? I REALLY hope this baby isn't born ON his big brother's birthday...it's definitely a real possibility!

I'm kinda obsessing about it, really. I need to get over it. Whatever day he picks will be just fine! I AM trying to talk him into waiting until his Aunt Jac arrives on the 18th though....please please please baby, cooperate with Mama on this one, okay???

Too bad bribes don't work on unborn children!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#6 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Murphy's Law says I'm having the baby today. Our electric company is doing routine maintenance so our power will be going out in an hour and will remain out for 8 hours. I'm planning a homebirth.

I really just plan on sleeping all day. Was up most of last night with nausea, cramping and irregular contractions. Good times!

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#7 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm having no signs of going into labor any time soon, just BH on a regular basis. I'm going to try to walk on our treadmill at least an hour today and see if that does anything other than wear me out. It would probably help if DH and I would DTD but that just sounds so uncomfortable to me. A few days ago I was feeling pretty freaked out about labor but now I'm feeling ready, at least ready to get it over with and see my little boy, so I'm hoping something will start happening while I'm in a more positive place. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#8 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM

I got nothing here. No plug, no contractions, nothing. Well, I do think I get contractions when I sit in my gliding chair, but they're very sporadic and only happen there. If I've dropped I've barely dropped. It's hard to tell visually but I'm showing more tummy out of my shirts.

I'm thinking this is a slow cooker. That's fine. I don't know if I'm quite ready emotionally yet anyway.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#9 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM

itsajenism - you would really experience an old fashioned homebirth if you went today, but I do hope you get your electricity back 1st!

I don't get on here very much, but my baby's still on the "inside." I started loosing my plug on Friday & was contracting a lot Sat. night, but no labor yet. I am thinking it will be this week. I'm very excited to meet baby #4!

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
#10 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Well, despite losing a lot of my mucus plug two weeks ago, and lots of lose stools and menstrual crampiness and some prodormal labour for two weeks now, I am still pregnant. My due date buddy in real life (well, she was due yesterday and I was due Saturday) went into labour last night after a party we were both at (on her due date, go figure!) so now I am the last one in my group of friends anywhere near having my baby...but I think I am more ok with it. The chinese zodiac switches to tiger on Valentines day so it wouldn't be so bad to have a tiger baby (I am a tiger) and my own EDD was closer to the 13th so... keeping busy learning how to make a hand felted baby toy and easy baby sweater. If things don't pick up by this time next week though I may start acupuncture or something as the mw's here can only attend you up to 2 weeks past your EDD.

Grats to all you who have your babes in arms, and hang in there to everyone still preggo!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#11 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Midwife's just been to see me, did a membrane sweep and said I'm now 2cm, 25% effaced, cervix nice and stretchy and baby's head very low. Good progress as 3 days ago I was 1-1.5cm, not effaced, cervix long & hard. All good!

Still losing mucous but not blood tinged yet.

A friend of mine at DD's nursery had her baby yesterday at lunch time (ctx had started at 6am), and merrily walked her new babe in her pram to drop the older DD off today, no problem. Ohhh how i wish for that kind of experience! mind you, it was her 4th...

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#12 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Now I'm scared of going "early", though there isn't a good reason to believe I might. EDD is still 11 days away, section scheduled for Monday. My friend keeps bringing up stories (for my benefit) of all the babies who almost were almost born in the parking lot of the hospital or delivered by paramedics. If that were to happen, obviously I'd have to cope with it and hope the tearing wouldn't be anything like last time. We'd deal. It would be okay. But I just don't want to have to gamble on this. Given my family history, no one seems to have a quick and easy second labor either. So, probably not in the cards for me anyway. Funnily enough, my friend didn't with either of her kids too. Why do people say these things? Like, it's obviously stressing me out.

My friends at lunch said I was carrying lower today, though I think my belly must have grown since last week? Maybe. My maternity jeans and tights won't stay up anymore- they roll down/ are pushed down by my massive belly. Last lunch until baby's here. I'm very excited, yet- feel like when I have the baby in my arms I'll be a little shocked, like- how did I get another baby??

I'm a crappo Mommy. No energy. DD is being so good, but emotional too. She wants to hold and kiss my belly, but honestly, she's not always really gentle and I'm not feeling like letting her do more than a little. She's now insisting on sleeping with one of her dolls and saying it's her baby sister. She's definitely processing.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#13 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajenism View Post
Are you and I the only ones left from the handful of us that were having talking about contractions all day yesterday?
There can't be that many of us. Mine died down last night for some reason, but as soon as I woke up I was all menstrual crampy again with some back issues. That's been mild for most of today, so I don't know what's going on.

I hope you get your electricity back before the babe arrives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulie View Post
Midwife's just been to see me, did a membrane sweep and said I'm now 2cm, 25% effaced, cervix nice and stretchy and baby's head very low. Good progress as 3 days ago I was 1-1.5cm, not effaced, cervix long & hard. All good!

Still losing mucous but not blood tinged yet.

A friend of mine at DD's nursery had her baby yesterday at lunch time (ctx had started at 6am), and merrily walked her new babe in her pram to drop the older DD off today, no problem. Ohhh how i wish for that kind of experience! mind you, it was her 4th...
Wow, I hope I have that much energy...but I doubt it.

I think I may have lost some mucous plug? It plopped into the toilet-about an inch by 1/2 inch and looked whitish, but I wasn't reaching into the toilet to make sure!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#14 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Still preggers here too! My EDD was Friday (2/5)....DD was induced at 9 days overdue, so I think I'm in for the long haul. Luckily I switched to a different midwifery group who isn't so induction-happy. They haven't checked me, which I appreciate.

I realized that I still haven't packed my hospital bag....maybe that would get things going? I'm having lots of prodromal labor, but actually feeling pretty good today--minimal contractions, not as much pain when I walk.

I had been diagnosed with PUPPP, but I started taking dandelion, flax, and milk thistle right away and it's pretty much gone. Do you think those herbs really work or maybe I never really had in the first place....

I know I don't post much, but I'm thinking about everyone and rooting for smooth, easy deliveries!!

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#15 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm still here, too. Very much preggers, but no signs of labor any time soon. No BH, no MP loss, no cramps... nothing. Just a HUGE belly with a little guy in it that still likes to move around a ton and use my cervix as his little pillow -ouchie.

I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow morning to find out the baby's weight at this point and another weekly appt scheduled for Wednesday.

Murphy's Law could be working for me as well this week, itsajenism - my DH is traveling to New Orleans tomorrow for a national sales meeting and won't be back until late Friday night. Just not the best timing, but what can ya do?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#16 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM

It's so exciting to read about everyone's contractions and progress towards birth! I am not even close to there yet. Which is good because I still have lots of "nesting" to do! I had (hopefully) my last Dr's appointment today. BP was great! Trace of protein in my urine, but she wasn't concerned. Baby sounds good and is measuring on target. I will have my weekly appointments with my midwife now and hopefully meet this little baby sometime in the next few weeks. I really want a February baby for some reason, not March. So hopefully baby listens. DH's birthday is the 27th, so I'd rather it not be that day.

biennourri - even if you go early, that doesn't mean it will be so fast you can't have a c-section, don't let those stories scare you. Plus, if you start on your own, you'll know the baby is totally ready to come out.

doulawoman - all that prodromal labor sounds quite frustrating! I hope the real thing happens soon for you!

Mama to three

#17 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biennourri View Post
She's now insisting on sleeping with one of her dolls and saying it's her baby sister. She's definitely processing.
That is so cute!

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#18 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Murphy's Law could be working for me as well this week, itsajenism - my DH is traveling to New Orleans tomorrow for a national sales meeting and won't be back until late Friday night. Just not the best timing, but what can ya do?
Wow, New Orleans right after a SuperBowl win and right before Mardi Gras! I'm a little jealous of your DH. Is he in pharma? My DH used to be before a mid-life career change. Hope your baby waits until he gets back!

I'm enjoying keeping tabs on all your all's pre-labor progress! We're all headed in the right directin.

Some of my girlfriends threw a lovely Blessingway for me this weekend , so I'm really truly totally ready now. But the baby seems to have shifted somewhat so suddenly I'm much more uncomfortable, and my back pain has increased, and my ability to stand went down. And I'm feeling less pressure on my cervix--which at this stage doesn't actually seem good. bummer. I hope he didn't go posterior--suddenly I can't tell where he is, although I've generally been able to tell. Hmmmm.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#19 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Checking in on you all! So exciting with so many babies coming soon. Oh how I love reading birth stories!!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#20 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Still waiting....my due date's 8 days away, though, so I'm not in a huge rush. Although, in the last couple of days he's really dropped, and my pubic symphesis pain has gotten a lot stronger. Blech. I'm going to try swimming in my gym's pool this afternoon instead of walking, and hope that helps.

We're still slowly slogging through the process of getting a new hot water heater, and hoping our current one holds out...I'm hoping to have that done before the baby arrives! I think I've been having prodromal labor, but I'm not sure...some days I'll have lots of contractions, but then they'll fade. I'm also not sure if I'm starting to lose my mucous plug. I thought so yesterday morning, but then I haven't seen anything else since then. Anyone with more experience know how to tell the difference between that and discharge?
#21 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Wow, New Orleans right after a SuperBowl win and right before Mardi Gras! I'm a little jealous of your DH. Is he in pharma? My DH used to be before a mid-life career change. Hope your baby waits until he gets back!

I'm enjoying keeping tabs on all your all's pre-labor progress! We're all headed in the right directin.

Some of my girlfriends threw a lovely Blessingway for me this weekend , so I'm really truly totally ready now. But the baby seems to have shifted somewhat so suddenly I'm much more uncomfortable, and my back pain has increased, and my ability to stand went down. And I'm feeling less pressure on my cervix--which at this stage doesn't actually seem good. bummer. I hope he didn't go posterior--suddenly I can't tell where he is, although I've generally been able to tell. Hmmmm.
I know. It's really odd timing as they've had this planned for 6 months now. His plane arrives 2 hours before the parade starts tomorrow (weather pending of course - we're expecting snow tonight into tomorrow) and his hotel is located right smack dab in the middle of the French Quarter!! He won't be able to do much or see much as he'll be in meetings all day everday. He works in the spirits industry. Also, this is his first time to NO. It'll be interesting. At least he'll be able to experience some of the culture down there. It's a pretty cool town. Last trip I took to NO was for my 21st b-day.

#22 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKate View Post
I'm also not sure if I'm starting to lose my mucous plug. I thought so yesterday morning, but then I haven't seen anything else since then. Anyone with more experience know how to tell the difference between that and discharge?
Is it pink tinged or stringy at all? I think normal mucusy discharge is normal in the third trimester, but mucus plugs tend to be pink tinged, chunky or stringy. In my experience anyway.

#23 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Feels like things are picking up for me. Keep losing chunks of bloody show (for those who are wondering, and I know it's TMI for some, they're kind of like lighter and smaller clots like from a period - mostly in the toilet when I pee). Ctx are getting stronger - ones that I really have to stop and concentrate on. Still not totally regular, but it seems between 3-7 minutes, with about 4 minutes being the average. Thank goodness my mom is here! DS is napping and I've recalled my husband from work. MWs have a heads-up and I'm just waiting for things to get a little more regular before calling them in - I don't want to be a watched pot!

#24 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Feels like things are picking up for me. Keep losing chunks of bloody show (for those who are wondering, and I know it's TMI for some, they're kind of like lighter and smaller clots like from a period - mostly in the toilet when I pee). Ctx are getting stronger - ones that I really have to stop and concentrate on. Still not totally regular, but it seems between 3-7 minutes, with about 4 minutes being the average. Thank goodness my mom is here! DS is napping and I've recalled my husband from work. MWs have a heads-up and I'm just waiting for things to get a little more regular before calling them in - I don't want to be a watched pot!
ooh, and another february mama gears up for labor....so jealous. Good luck, Keeta!! Can't wait for more news!

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#25 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
oooooh exciting!!! ELVs ELVs

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#26 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Tons of !! Sounds like things are progressing and something should be happening soon. So happy for you!!

#27 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
mmmm. . . Dh just blew up my LaBassine birthing tub for the first time and I love it. sigh of relief. I just got in it without even water in there and felt soothed and supported and relaxed. I am so glad about that.
I have been having a rough emotional day and it felt soothing to get in that made for homebirth tub. So soft and inviting and just the right size and shape.
#28 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Keeta -

Power is back and no baby. I guess someone was looking out for me.

Still contracting randomly. It tends to die down during the day and then pick back up in the evening. I never experienced prodominal labour with DS so this is all very new to me. I'm thankful that DS is in preschool during the day so I can nap. I have no idea how I would manage on 3 hours of sleep while caring for a child. The only time I really sleep well is during the day when I get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Really struggling with family at the moment.
I made it pretty clear that there is a very good chance I won't have anyone here for the birth other than DH, DS and possibly a close friend to help with DS if needed. My sister and best friend are "allowed" but the likelihood that they'll make it is very slim.
Allowing my Mom and DH's parents in my room while in labour at the hospital with DS is not really an experience I'd like to repeat, so I have done what I can to make it clear that I don't want anyone here without repeating myself EVERY single time it's brought up.

DH's family keeps dropping "hints" that they want to be here. Not just my in-laws, but ALL of them. While at the super bowl gathering, every single one of them kept saying "make sure you call us when things start happening so we can come over!"
Really... I don't want a family reunion in my living room while I'm in labour. I've tried entertaining the idea that they are just interested in the fact that I'm having a homebirth (the first amongst a very medically minded family) and want to experience it too, but the flat out ignoring me is making it difficult to look at the pushing and prodding in any positive light.

Now my Mom is really pushing me all of a sudden. I can be pretty blunt with her, it's how our relationship is, so I've told her flat out that if she wants to come up here (she has a 3 hour drive) before I go into labour or when labour starts that it's fine but there is a VERY good chance I will end up kicking her out if I feel any sort of negative energy from her (which is a normal thing for me to experience when she's around). She was ok with that to begin with, but now she's really pushing to have her new partner here too because she "wants to share the experience with her". WHAT experience? Sure, I understand having grandchildren is exciting, but this isn't about HER and sharing it with people. I'm so angry about that phone call today that I'm not really sure how to handle it without going off on her and telling her that this isn't HER time to be selfish and unthoughtful. We've talked about it a billion times. I'm just not sure how it went from her being extremely understanding of what my needs are/might be while in labour and being 100% ok with the possibility that she can't be here, to her suddenly wanting to invite people that I DON'T KNOW and being upset that I don't want that.

I'm thinking my best bet, at this point, is not to announce to anyone when I go into labour. I'm tired of fighting about it, explaining it, repeating it to people only to end up feeling like no one really cares about how I feel about it because they're so wrapped up in "the new baby" and what THEY want.

Anyway... I'm now trying to come to peace with the fact that I will have to deal with people harassing us about not calling them when I go into labour. I'd rather deal with that then keep trying to be heard by all these people that obviously don't want to listen to me about anything and/or deal with so many different personalities in my house while in labour.
Argh!@#

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#29 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Still in labor....it's become a comedy of errors, starring my DH. First, we didn't have the right adapter for the hose for our birth pool, so he had to run to the hardware store to find it. Then we started filling the tub, forgetting to put in the liner. So all that awesome hot water is now on our front lawn. Trying very much to be and not , but I hope that is the last of our funny labor moments!

Ctx about 3-4 minutes apart, lasting 45-60 s. That contraction timer thing is AWESOME! MW is on the way to check me out.

#30 of 72 Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ctx about 3-4 minutes apart, lasting 45-60 s. That contraction timer thing is AWESOME! MW is on the way to check me out.
Exciting!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page