Baby position? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you tell which way the baby is? I know my baby is head down and the back is on my left with the butt up near my left ribs. Then feet and hands both move on the right side of my stomach. So, to me it seems like baby must be facing sideways? Or is it possible for baby to be face up or down with the back curved to the side?

Mama to three

#2 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Sounds pretty LOA to me! (which is ideal )

Check out Spinning Babies for more info on belly mapping, etc.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Sounds pretty LOA to me! (which is ideal )

Check out Spinning Babies for more info on belly mapping, etc.
Thanks! I'm reading the page now

Mama to three

#4 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is head down, but seems to move from one side to the other. Sometimes, it seems like he's transverse, cause I feel a bulge on each side of my belly, (& it's pretty uncomfortable) but my CNM said that his head is so far down that him moving out of that position seems unlikely.
#5 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is like yours except on my right side. So head down, back on right side and butt under my ribs. It's very lopsided and there is lots of movement - the back or butt stretching outwards on that side. My right side ribs are hurting! Has been like this for several weeks. My left side is soft.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#6 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 PM

If I'm looking down at my belly, he's definitely head down and swings his bottom over to the right at times when he's stretching and then I'll feel a foot on my left side once he does that. His head is right above my cervix and he even likes to snuggle in to my pelvic bone on the right at times, too.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#7 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
How do you tell which way the baby is? I know my baby is head down and the back is on my left with the butt up near my left ribs. Then feet and hands both move on the right side of my stomach. So, to me it seems like baby must be facing sideways? Or is it possible for baby to be face up or down with the back curved to the side?
My baby is positioned exactly like you described! I've been wondering the same thing, why is the back at the side, shouldn't it be at the front, but maybe it turns easily from the left side to the front. I had a look at the spinning babies website too and it seems like our babies are in the best position, so I guess they turn from this one to back at our fronts....

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#8 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

consider yourselves lucky, ladies! I WISH my little one was LOA - she is stubbornly posterior, and I am hoping beyond hope she turns in labour as no amount of hands and knees is making any difference.

I can't feel any spine / hard bits on my bells, it just seems like there are limbs everywhere! I do have a bum at the top and head at the bottom so being grateful for small mercies

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#9 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Mine seems to have preferences for which side he/she wants to be on at any given time. I know baby was LOA this morning, and I just tried to nap lying on my left to keep that position and he/she kicked non-stop for 2 hours until I flipped to my right side. Baby promptly rolled to that side and stopped the kicking. As I sit here, baby is ROA. Silly babe!

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#10 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
My baby is positioned exactly like you described! I've been wondering the same thing, why is the back at the side, shouldn't it be at the front, but maybe it turns easily from the left side to the front. I had a look at the spinning babies website too and it seems like our babies are in the best position, so I guess they turn from this one to back at our fronts....
My baby was like this, too, and even switched sides. He wasn't fully anterior until halfway through labor, after lots of contractions on hands and knees, etc.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#11 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulie View Post
I WISH my little one was LOA - she is stubbornly posterior, and I am hoping beyond hope she turns in labour as no amount of hands and knees is making any difference.
My baby was posterior for like half the first day of my early/prodromal labor! And that was after days of hands/knees, etc. It seemed like he turned in response to all that trying to get him to be fully anterior, which makes no sense to me. I was so worried he was going to stay like that, but he flipped. I think the contractions must have stirred him up - he was super active during labor.

My pelvis is super-roomy, though, so he was able to spin around despite being very low in my pelvis already. I guess sometimes midwives worry that once the baby is engaged in the pelvis he might get "stuck" posterior. Lucky for me that didn't happen!

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#12 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 AM

oh Chai that is really good to hear - midwives keep telling me not to stress, that she will turn in labour, so it's good to hear that it does actually happen!

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#13 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM

I can't figure out what mine has done. He's been in nearly the same position (LOA) for weeks, just occasionally wriggling over to ROA, but ever since the Super Bowl I can't figure out what he's done. I was wearing pants that had grown too tight, although I didn't realize it until I tried to sit down, and I was on this really squishy, deep couch at a friend's house and couldn't get comfortable. He and I both squirmed and moved for three hours, basically, and now I'm really afraid he's transverse or something. He's definitely not where he used to be. I know completely transverse isn't likely, since he was already head-down and low, but I just can't figure out how these current lumps and bumps correspond to a head-down baby. Ergh! I guess my doctor will help me figure it out tomorrow. My hope is that he's just gone posterior and I'm not used to it, since it seems a lot more likely that I'm going to get him moved from that position than the other possibilities!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#14 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Mine has been mostly ROA, and my MW gave me an article about how they are more likely to swing posterior. I've been doing hands & knees/pelvic tilts, polar bear. Trying not to stress about it.

#15 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure DS was LOA last time and I still felt contractions in my back. I think it's partly because his hand was up by his head, but maybe not. Maybe it's just because his head took so long to turn? Sometime during the pushing stage I stopped feeling back pain and it felt soooo much better. Hopefully this little one's head will turn sooner and there aren't any hands up there.

Mama to three

#16 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulie View Post
consider yourselves lucky, ladies! I WISH my little one was LOA - she is stubbornly posterior, and I am hoping beyond hope she turns in labour as no amount of hands and knees is making any difference.

I can't feel any spine / hard bits on my bells, it just seems like there are limbs everywhere! I do have a bum at the top and head at the bottom so being grateful for small mercies
Yep, that's where mine is too. He had his little back on my left side and was only slightly posterior a week ago, then flipped completely. I'm *really* hoping hands and knees will help, or like you said Loulie, that he'll flip on his own in labor!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page