My baby girl is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

" id="yui_3_7_3_1_1351140388260_1271" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/twins.gif">twins.gif

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM

HOORAY!!!!
I've totally been thinking of you, it seemed like you were gone so long. I voted you pregnant--I've been waiting to see how it turned out!
Thanks for sharing your great birth story. You are a strong mama! Great job! Enjoy your sweet daughter.

(P.S. More or less 'round the clock newborn breastfeeding is totally normal. She may still be getting the hang of it and may be slightly inefficient, might be trying to increase your milk supply, or she might just be a hungry little baby! Hang in there, and tell your nosey MIL to actually be helpful and bring you water and food so you can sit and nurse your baby! )

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Awesome! I've been wondering where you were, and which name you would choose! I love the name!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
HOORAY!!!!
I've totally been thinking of you, it seemed like you were gone so long. I voted you pregnant--I've been waiting to see how it turned out!
Thanks for sharing your great birth story. You are a strong mama! Great job! Enjoy your sweet daughter.

(P.S. More or less 'round the clock newborn breastfeeding is totally normal. She may still be getting the hang of it and may be slightly inefficient, might be trying to increase your milk supply, or she might just be a hungry little baby! Hang in there, and tell your nosey MIL to actually be helpful and bring you water and food so you can sit and nurse your baby! )
Thanks! I have read lots of info from various sources and it seems everyone has something different to say! Some say 20 minutes on each breast and take baby off. I tried that and it HURT to take her off when she was not done. Others say to do one breast until baby falls asleep in a deep sleep or takes the latch off herself-- so I tried that and she will stay on sometimes 10 minutes sometimes 45! I hope I figure it out. I prefer the "when she is rooting let her have a boob, when she is done she is done. Next time offer the other boob." I just hope that does not hinder my milk supply.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Personally, kellymom is a good source, but I would let him/her nurse until they fall asleep and next time switxh to the other side. that worked for me. but they do nurse a LOT in the early weeks, they are trying to establish your supply.

congrats mama, I was in the TTC forum with you too.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Congratulations! And I just love the name that you guys chose for her!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Mazel tov.

RE: nursing... if baby is rooting, offer breast. If you feel like offering breast, offer breast. If baby is rooting after feeding, offer breast. Switching breasts is not a science. I have oversupply issues so I just keep offering the same breast for hours in a row before changing sides. With dd I would keep switching sides and I was squirting milk like a fountain for MONTHS after the birth. Call your local Le Leche League Leader for any advice. Don't let your mil give you any advice about feeding. Tell her to please stop, that you've got it under control and are researching the issue.

Babies nurse A LOT. My friend says for the first few weeks...and even months, to get a comfy chair and drink and plan to nurse for the next 24/7...and that IS about how long it takes to get things going. It will get easier and less time consuming.

Wonderful news. Beautiful name. Enjoy her.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Crashing.... to just agree:

Quote:
"when she is rooting let her have a boob, when she is done she is done. Next time offer the other boob."
Sounds totally normal for a newborn. When she's on for 45 minutes, it may be more of a comfort after awhile - but it will build up your supply! (And baby will get the good high fat milk that comes last.)

I never timed DD while she was on the breast (that seems crazy), just waited until she unlatched, fell asleep or stopped suckling. I did always offer the other breast when she would "finish" with the first. Then at the next feeding, I would start with the breast that got offered 2nd - as she didn't feed at it as long. (But I don't think that's the only way to do it... a lot of my friends do only one breast per feed.)

Wow, that typed funny - I hope it made sense to some extent!

*as for the timing, I suppose if baby isn't nursing long enough, that would be a reason to time "how long they nurse" - like if they are falling asleep immediately or something*

You are doing great!

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Welcome to the world little girl!

Lauren, she sounds awesome and you and your DH must be thrilled. I'm so happy to hear that your experience giving birth with language barriers wasn't so bad! It gives me hope. And your DH definitely gets a pat on the back for sticking up to you for what you really wanted.

Enjoy your babymoon/nurse-a-thon!

My family = me + dh & ds +
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Congrats, Mama! Beautiful name!

Best nursing advice I got with my first was this: "Clocks are very important and useful while nursing a newborn. Keep a clock right beside you all the time. Turn it off, turn it upside down, and use it as a tray for your sandwich and your water bottle!"

Seriously though, it sounds like you are doing great, and she's doing great too! For soreness, see if you can find some Soothies. They are really awesome, and totally worth the price--if you can get 2 pair, store one in the refrigerator while you wear the others. If you can't afford 2 pair, just put them in the fridge while you are nursing, and the coolness when you put them back on will be very soothing! The package may say they can only be used for 2-3 days, but if you take care of them and gently clean them, you can keep using them for much longer--I used mine for a good 5 weeks with my tongue-tie baby!

If you are using any sort of nipple cream or ointment, great! But be aware that sometimes it works better to wipe most of the ointment off before latching the baby...you may think the oinment will prevent you from feeling sore at the latch, but if there's too much it can hinder the baby latching on well, and she'll sorta slip and slide on your nipple, which makes things worse.

Hope this helps!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Oh, yay! I've been eager to hear how your German hospital birth would go -- And what a great birth story! Congratulations, Lauren! And what a perfect name you finally settled on (even though I voted for "Anneliese" ). Welcome, Adelynn Ruby!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! Lovely name - Adelynn Ruby

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Congratulations!!

Lauren- Mom to Nina 2.5 yrs. & Elaina 10 mo....our next bundle is due in June! joy.gif
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Congratulations Lauren and welcome to your baby girl! Great job on the birth I am so happy for you!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Congratulations!! Glad you got the birth experience you wanted

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM

I agree, lovely name! I was wondering what you'd choose in the end!

Hopefully your breasts adjust soon. It can been painful at first. Be careful to watch for thrush since you had the antiboitics. My sister kept telling me it's just painful in the beginning, but in fact I had thrush (and the baby too). Kellymom is an awesome, awesome site. Of course, also be careful to break the seal on the baby's mouth with your finger to get her off if you are doing that. You don't want to traumatize the skin anymore. However, your nipples WILL adjust soon. Good luck!

Congratulations!!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Congratulations!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Congratulations!!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Congratulations, mama!!!! Sounds like an intense, awesome birth (I can totally relate!).

Welcome to the world, Adelynn Ruby!!!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM

What an amazing birth!! Congratulations!!!!! Like everyone has said the nursing will come in time, don't listen to mil, la leche league is a great resource, basically don't time anything, is all baby led so nurse when she roots, nurse without looking at the time or how long she is nursing, follow her lead and it will all be ok!!!!
Congratulaitons again on your baby girl!!!!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Congratulations!

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Congratulations, thanks for sharing your great story. Hope the nursing just gets better and better.

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
Old 02-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Awesome story!!! Welcome to your new baby girl!

I LOVED the pushing stage too, even though mine was 2 hours.

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay Lauren!!!! I'm so so happy for you !!!!

I'm so happy that you had such an empowering delivery and your baby is nursing well. Very very awesome!!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

User Tag List