I had my baby 2-10 UC with hospital trans. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my baby (she's a girl! as I guessed) on 2-10 at 11:50pm. The rest of this might be trigger for some readers as I've had some complications (hence updating today...) and am still in the hospital. So if you're squeamish, trying to only read about uncomplicated births, or think sensitive to birth trama triggers, you've been warned!

I started having contractions at 4:00pm on Wednesday 2-10 during my legal aid appointment and took the bus home, maybe the most uncomfortable bus ride of my life. Then I had a glass of beer and took a bath to see if I could make the contractions go away (braxton hicks right?). Around 6pm I called my doula and asked her to come over. Contractions continued to be between five to seven minutes apart. Over the next hour, between contractions I called my mother and some friends who wanted to come to the birth. I laid in bed and turned on hypnobabies "easy first stage." My doula rubbed my back and I was surprised by how often the contractions came. At ten pm I was making some noise and feeling a lot downward pressure the need to pee during contractions. My doula convinced me to go the bathroom and pee and as soon as I was uprights, they started to come one after another less then a few minutes apart. Sitting on the toilet having contracts, I felt something drop and into my hand I caught my water bay still intact. The contractions where very intense and my vulva and anus really burned, and I was rocking a moaning. With some pillows thrown on the floor of the bathroom and got down on my hands and knees still holding my water bag and started pushing during contractions. After two or three I felt her head come out in the bag in my hand. It felt so strong, I waited for the next contractions then pushed the rest of her body out still in her water bag which I broke when I got her feet out. She was face down in my hands as I pulled her from me, both of us covered in some blood as I rubbed her back for ten seconds and tilted her head down and bottom up to clear her airway before she started to cry. After that I pulled the bits of bag off of her and pulled her close, wet, squatting, feeling and touching her. It was about then minutes before midnight.

After that we went into my bedroom and I stuck her on my stomach to crawl her way up to nurse, and she wiggled around licking me a bit. I still felt some downward pressure, and did some stimulation of my nipples to urge my placenta to come. After fifteen minutes I decided to cut the cord so I could try peeing to get the placenta to come out. I bleed a little bit during this time maybe a cup. I sat on the toilet and felt some burning while I peed and I knew that I had torn some and that I would need to get some stitches. It was about an hour after the birth and I decided to head to the hospital and left the baby at home with my mother. I got to the hospital and the doctor had me in stirrups and massaged my uterus which was hard at the top as it should be but still soft at the bottom. After twenty minutes he told me was going to message my uterus while I pushed and try to guide the placenta out. I pushed and shot right out at him nearly hitting him in the face. He then started stitching me up, and told me a little about my tears that he said were mostly second degree around my urethra, near my anus and labia.

Then I started, to bleed. The nurse weighted the first chucks pad and it was a liter of blood and she paged the doctor back. In the few minutes it took him to walk down the hall I had bleed another liter, and suddenly there were five people in the room and IVs, and blood from the blood bank. They took me to the surgical unit, and put me under general anesthesia to try and find out why I was loosing so much blood so rapidly, they told me they suspected that I either retained some placenta or had some lacerations on the inside of my vagina. I went into surgery at 6:30am and woke up five hours later on a ventilator in the ICU.

They performed a D&C but didn't find any retained placenta. I had some small cuts on the inside of my vagina which they filled with packing and inflated a balloon to keep pressure on inside of my vagina and bottom of my cervix. I lost my entire body's volume of blood which they replaced with donations from the blood bank downstairs and plasma. My body stopped clotting because of how much I had lost, and started swelling because of how much they where pumping back in when I went into respiratory failure and they stuck me on the ventilator.

When I woke up on the ventilator they told me what happened. I couldn't speak or really move until a day later when for the third time turning off the machine I was able to breath on my own, when they took out the tube. I stayed in the ICU for six more hours, and my surgeons from labor and delivery visited me and took out the vaginal packing and deflated the balloon. Then they brought me back downstairs to postpartum recovery where I got to see my little girl again after a day and a half. I've been here since then, slowly recovering and it looks like I might get discharged tomorrow. Today I walked the hallways for the first time, and finally have my daughter latching on and nursing without any help from the nurses or lactation consultants. Feeling pretty good considering. Vulva is really swollen. Still need a name for the baby though.

Will post some photos of the birth under the UC thread in a few days. Have a good one of her in the water bag before I broke it.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#2 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM

DDC Crashing

Congratulations!

I'm so glad you're ok. How are you feeling now?

I'm from the bay area, do you mind me asking which hospital you went to?

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#3 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 PM

basje,

am glad both you and your baby are ok!! congratulations on your baby girl! hope you're feeling better.
#4 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Glad that you are reunited with your sweet baby. I hope that healing is complete so you can enjoy your babymoon

Mama to my tribe
#5 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:57 PM

Wow, what a story! I'm so glad you are going to be OK. Hope you get to cuddle with your little one soon.
#6 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, wow... So glad you are on the mend. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
#7 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
DDC Crashing

Congratulations!

I'm so glad you're ok. How are you feeling now?

I'm from the bay area, do you mind me asking which hospital you went to?
Of course, I'm at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley. And the quality of care has been pretty awesome.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#8 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 AM

my dd was born at Alta Bates. Best hospital to be for what you are in for. B"H you are okay. Placenta can take a LOOONG time to come out on it's own (I've read stories about 3 hours or more...) and sometimes, if pushed to birth it too fast can cause hemmorage. Relax and devote yourself to healing. Enjoy your little girl. And way to go on your unassited birth!!!! AWESOME!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#9 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 AM

Wow, what a story! It must have been scary to wake up on ventilation, and to be away from her for so long. I'm so glad you and your dd are safe and healthy now.

Congratulations!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#10 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Basje, was just coming to post here that I'd seen on FB that you had your baby!

Congratulations, she's beautiful!!!

Get some rest and feel better soon, mama. What a rough pp experience you had. Sending you many warm hugs and "feel better soon" vibes....
#11 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Ooh, born in the caul - she'll be a natural healer! Congratulations on your babe, mama. Hope you get lots of rest and recover quickly.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#12 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 AM

Congrats on your baby, Basje! Healing vibes to you as you recover. That's a lot to process. Glad you and baby are reunited.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#13 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow I am glad you are both ok! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#14 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Congratulations! I'm so glad you are able to get baby nursing after all you've been through!

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010
#15 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am so glad you're ok! I also had a UC with hospital transfer. Go easy on yourself and enjoy your beautiful, healthy baby!

Do they know what caused it now?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#16 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Scary! I'm glad you got to have a peaceful birth before all the action started! Get better soon! And congratulations!
#17 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM

What a beautiful birth!

I'm so sorry about your PPH.

Thanks for sharing everything!

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page