Postpartum Mama Weekly Check-In (Feb 15-21) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The original Postpartum check-in thread was getting kind of large, so I thought we could do a weekly check-in--and now we have so many new Mamas!!! Welcome! Let's start chatting! (perhaps we can transition a postpartum check-in to FB sometime?)

How is everyone doing? How are the minis? How are the MAMAS?

Felix is not really a mini anymore--we call him Felonious Chunk b/c he just gets chubbier and chubbier. It floors me...I am so amazed at how different children can be!

We are still rockin' the Prevacid for reflux, and it seems to be doing its job, but we are at the peak of the gas trouble. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable. It's transient, but constant...if that makes sense. Like, I don't think he is in chronic pain, but he has episodes every few minutes sometimes. Again, it's like he is in labor.

We also transitioned to 1 poop every few days. And by poop, I mean the release of a noxious pool of orange liquid. Another thing that has surprised me about #2 (the baby, not the poop): with my 1st, he pooped all day and it never smelled. Now we have gas that can clear a room, and infrequent toxic poop! I am not worried b/c it is liquid and I think just festers in his gut with all sorts of bacteria, which makes it more potent. (Man, this is graphic!) what is nice is that even though he won't win any style points with his nursing (it is sometimes awkward to witness), he MUST be getting quite a bit. (And we are still up every 1-2 hours nursing, folks. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last night we had our first middle of the night car ride to soothe the baby--never done that with any of our kids before. He is SO mixed up with days and nights. Sleeps great during the day, but at night is fussy (not really crying, but fussing) and cannot be soothed.

This passes...right??? Please???

I had my 6 week appt yesterday and felt going in that he was going to be like, "wow, things look great." My OB didn't deliver me (it was his on call partner), so he never really got an intimate look at the war zone. It was only a 1st degree tear, but he told me that I still have "quite a bit of healing to do." Boo! He usually gives the go ahead with DTD, but suggested I wait a bit. And then he said, "if you do have another baby and get close to full term, we'll have to seriously talk about your birthing options. It's a good thing you deliver small babies." I was glad he didn't say "it's a good thing you deliver premature babies." We talked, and he thinks if I delivered bigger more full term babies, I would have a really hard time delivering w/o some serious tearing and I might have to consider a section b/c of my pelvic size. hmmm...we also talked BC, and I said that 2 boys under 2 years was quite effective, but we'll just stick with barrier method until I have breastfeed for quite a bit b/c of the hormones. He was totall cool with it.

I started running again, and am really having a hard time with the last 7 or so pounds--it is sticking like taffy to my bottom and thighs. I know that not sleeping for WEEKS is contributing and am really worried that things aren't going to get better b/4 I have to go to work full time.

Wow. That's quite the update! Sometimes, it is so nice to have you all to just vent to...

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!!

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#2 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Hey all,

Wow, Ficus, sorry to hear your LO is struggling so much with gas. We have moments of that, too, but nothing like what you describe. And personally, I can't wait for the poop consolidation (ha, lovely idea!) because while I don't mind nursing every couple of hours at night I hate hate hate getting up to change poopy diapers every 2 hours. Poor baby hates it too and screams bloody murder, which means the neighbors probably hate it and us!

So sleepwise, we're still nursing every 2 hours or so day and night. I don't know when it gets better, with DS1 (not to depress you, Ficus) it didn't get better until he got his.... wait for it.... two year molars.

In mama news, I'm on abx to treat the UTI I suspected last week. I feel much better, just hope I don't get thrush.

We have our check up (for the baby) on Thursday, am curious to know how much he's gained in his 2 weeks home.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
#3 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Well, I don't think Caleb ever qualified as a "mini", LOL. He was 10 lbs. 7 oz. at his "2 week" checkup last week. We have our first WIC appointment tomorrow, and they'll weigh him again, and then his "1 month" checkup is a week and a half later - kind of nice having so many weight checks because it gives me peace of mind. We still poop all the time - so little smudges mostly of the lovely seedy goo. I'm totally paranoid with the nursing right now, because he has absolutely no routine - he'll nurse anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes and go anywhere from 45 minutes to 4.5 hours between feedings. So I'm just hoping for big numbers tomorrow because that will help me to ease some of the anxiety. Had a few gas issues, but nothing serious, and the gripe water has helped with the worst of them. Still waiting for the stupid stump to fall off so we can have a real bath!

I'm doing ok I guess. I took the tape off my incision this weekend, and since I rarely go completely bald "down there" it doesn't look like I'll even have a noticeable scar. DH is quite impressed - he has a pretty ugly scar from having his appendix out and expected mine to look somewhat similar. I can drive again this week, and am back to the freelancing in full swing - so pretty much back to "normal" over here. I guess we were already pretty crazy around here, because aside from the "inconvenience" of having to drop what I'm doing to feed the baby at inconsistent intervals going from 3 to 4 has not been much of an adjustment. I'm still spotting, which is annoying, and waiting for the squishy belly to go down some more so that I don't feel like such a slob!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#4 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

no time to update, but re: antibiotics...take probiotics to prevent thrush.

miss my molasses tea...must get more.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#5 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Ali, have you thought about probiotics for Felix's intestinal issues (a refrigerated powdered kind w/o dairy in it)? Also good for reflux. Whole Foods has several. I haven't found similar quality ones here in Brazil yet (grrr).

Juju is finally gaining, now that we're supplementing... She is 8 weeks and finally outgrew her preemie clothes; it's like I can SEE her growing now, making up for lost time. Still no answer to my supply issue, but it will come. We're still nursing 23/7 and aren't stopping, so the supplementing hopefully won't hurt us.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#6 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was too overwhelmed to jump in to the lat thread - thanks for starting weekly one, Ficus!

Jax is now 11 days old. He just had his second dr's appt this morning. The first was the day after we got out of the hospital (3 days old). I was just getting my milk that morning and he'd dropped from 6,13 to 6,1 and was cranky from hunger. He's a new baby now that my milk is totally in, and I was SO relieved to see he now weighs 6,15.5! He has some gassy moments where he seems pained, but nothing unusual. We did get some eye ointment. He has blocked tear ducts and the goop from them was gluing his eyes shut. We were warned it could reoccur regularly up until 9 months, and at that point wed need to see an eye dr about it.

I'm doing good. I have about 5 small 1st degree tears all over from labor. There is one stitch that pull a lot. I take a hot bath every night to soothe it. I HATED the one sitz bath I tried. Felt like I was sitting in funk and it stung (was still in the hospital at the time). My back needed a good week to recover from the back labor - kept having spasms. I also had contractions every time Jax nursed for about a week. Shrinking my uterus I assume... I'd gained 30lbs with my 38 weeks of pg (105 to 135) and arrived home at 117lbs. Today I am 110lbs. I keep increasing my food intake more and more. While I want to lose the last 5 lbs because they are on my butt and keeping me out of my pre-pg pants, I have a very fast metabolism and worry about having enough fuel for breastfeeding.

A question for mama's who have co-slept... Has anyone coslept with their newborn but moved them to a crib of bassinet after the first couple months? How did the transition go? We are currently cosleeping with some mini naps in the bassinet when he is really out cold.

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14
#7 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM

hi everyone, just jumping in cos i've wanted to be part of this thread for so long!

day 3 PP and an emotional wreck here, with boulders for breasts. textbook progress then

hope everyone is well

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#8 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM

This is a great idea Ficus. Thanks! Ze will be 2 days old in a couple of hours. We came home from the hospital last night. I think the hardest thing right now is trying to meet his needs while being so very, very sore. It's so hard to move around. I have a small tear in my labia and then a larger tear that required two stitches. Nothing too horrible I guess but I feel like I don't want to move so it's hard to lay down and sleep when he is sleeping and then get up and situate myself to nurse. Not to mention going to the bathroom is awful.

DH is being great...a huge support. I just got a bit of a nap while DH watched him. The grandmas are going to be here any minute. They are just super excited to finally see him!

Nursing is difficult. He seems to like to sleep during the day so I feel like he's only nursing for 10 minutes or so every 4 hours. But then last night he wanted to nurse from 3:00 to 5:00. His latch was much better last night. Right now he wants to nurse but can't seem to wake up enough to latch properly.

I'm still trying to process the birth. I keep thinking about it but writing anything down seems to difficult right now. I did get the natural birth I wanted and I had no major problems but I keep thinking that I could have handled the last 3 hours much better...I almost just got an epidural at the end but he came too fast to get it in and I'm really thankful for that.

More pictures here.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#9 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM

We're adjusting pretty well over here, I think. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it might be. DS1 is an extremely sensitive creature so I was really afraid we would be dealing with a lot of different emotions from him, but he's really taking everything in stride.

DH has completely forgotten what it's like to have a teeny tiny baby. Let's just say that infant care is not his forte and he lacks a lot of confidence in his ability to be ok doing even the simplest of tasks. Poor guy.
He has completely taken over my job of running the house while I lay around and has said that he doesn't ever want my job. This is really the first time in 5 years he has had to do this, so maybe he'll be a little more understanding.

I'm doing really well physically. I definitely don't feel like I just gave birth 5 days ago other than tiring a little more easily. Milk came in on day 2, and bleeding is already almost non-existent. I think taking the placenta capsules has helped a lot in that. I haven't had too many emotional ups and downs except yesterday evening (I started feeling really irritable and weepy at the same time) and then realized I missed taking the capsules in the afternoon and evening.

DS2 came so fast that it caused his entire face/eyes to bruise, but his face is almost all cleared up. The whites of his eyes are taking a little longer to heal, though.
So far he has been a cluster feeder; eating anywhere from 3-5 hours at a time and then sleeping for about 3-4 hours.
He reminds me so much of DS1 in the way he looks, it's crazy. The only difference is that DS1 had/has more of a broad body structure even at birth, (after DH's family), and DS2 seems to be more on the slender side (after my side). I didn't buy any newborn sized clothes because I assumed DS2 would be like DS1 in size and not be able to fit them (especially in length) but I ended up having to send DH and my Mom out to get some newborn clothes since the 0-3 month are way too big for the dainty little guy. Oops.

It's also become apparent just how much "older" and "bigger" age 5 is compared to a baby.
DS1 has always been my little baby, but in the last few days it's REALLY hit me just how much of a little kid he has become.

I kicked my Mom out, who was planning on being here for a week. Long story, but we've been struggling for a long time and I've had just about enough. She actually cornered me on her second day here and started crying and moaning again that she never gets to have DS1 overnight. We've had the discussion before, many times; she doesn't pay any attention to him even when he is begging her to play with him, is inappropriate in front of him, etc, and she has to show me she really wants to do it because she loves him and wants to get to know him... and not because she wants to use it to brag to her friends. (Yes, she really uses my children to get attention from her friends... *sigh*) She also lives 3 hours away. DH and I just don't send him on overnight stays often anyway and definitely aren't comfortable with him being that far away from us at barely 5. And the most important, DS1 is not comfortable with her. She knows all of this, but apparently the new girlfriend "just doesn't understand".
The icing on the cake was when I walked out of my room while she was in charge of playing with DS1 and found him playing with the chord from the blinds wrapped around him (!!!!) while she was no more than two feet away NOT paying any attention. So... rather than worrying about DS1 being taken care of, I kicked her out in the most nonchalant way as possible because I don't feel like dealing with all of this while adjusting to the changes and the hormones. I'd rather housework get behind and DS1 get some attention then sitting here worrying about whether or not he is in real danger while my mother sits on her butt waiting around to hold the baby.

Anyway... other than the mom issues, it's been nice and relaxing around here.
DS1 goes back to school tomorrow which will be the first day we really start getting back into our daily routine. I'm kind of nervous. DH is here until the 26th, but I will be the one in charge of the morning (pretending DH isn't here for the most part) just so that I have some time to figure out and adjust to how the mornings will go now. I want to do it while I still have someone to fall back on incase I have any trouble.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#10 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Justsimplicity- don't worry about getting your birth story done soon. I had to just write down a few things I didn't want to forget here and there until I had processed it enough to write everything down. It took me four weeks and I had a very healthy labor and birth at home. I ended up having to deal with my own feelings about thinking the reason it took 5 hours to push him out was because I wasn't a "good enough" pusher. I am still processing the feelings I had in the moment and reconciling them with the events that actually happened- again, things went smoothly and well- I think I was surprised that I needed to process an easier birth just like someone needs to process a harder one. Give yourself time

As far as how we are...I got mastitis on Saturday night and pumped, nursed, did advil, heat, drank water, rested like crazy and things are slowly getting better. Last night in the middle of the night I completely broke down sobbing because I was exhausted and Malachi had been up for 2hrs eating and fidgeting and just not able to go back to sleep. My tailbone is still really sore and out of alignment and my whole body just hurt to sit up and nurse. Malachi was just comfort nursing by the end to try to go to sleep. DH was upset with me for not waking him up like he told me to to help out. I honestly kept thinking malachi was just about asleep and then I couldn't handle it anymore. DH stayed home from class today so that I could get rest and has made me promise I will wake him up in the middle of the night. I was really frustrated last night because I was just adamant that we needed to get a pacifier to help Malachi go back to sleep. I personally would rather not use one, Malachi is not a high suck needs baby and just really needs to do a lot of comfort sucking to get back to sleep at night. I was frustrated because I felt like I was going to compromise on something I really didn't want to do/didn't think Malachi needs (I am really not that opposed to using a pacifier and I totally see it's use for sure, I just don't want one). I guess I was upset with myself for being so ready to compromise in a moment of fatigue and then I was upset with myself for being so hardcore when it was obviously not the healthy choice for me and a healthy baby needs a healthy mommy. Anyway, DH and I came up with strategies to help me emotionally and we will continue to re evaluate the pacifier/no pacifier option as we move along in life and decide what works for us. Funny how things are completely overwhelming and huge in the wee hours of the morning, sigh.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#11 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM

So glad to see so many new mamas!

Updates for the girls: still on reflux meds, but Tzelia lost weigh this week. So we need to take her to the pediatrician. That was supposed to be today but...

I have pneumonia. I started getting sick on Friday and this morning called my doc with my symptoms: 101 fever, hacking cough, hurts to breathe... she had me get an X-ray, and sure enough: pneumonia. I'm now on a 5 day course of antibiotics and AGAIN doing bed rest while my husband is a single parent. ugh. He may have to take the day off tomorrow to take Tzelia to the doctor. I wasn't surprised she lost weight: her intake had been decreasing by about 2oz/day. So we increased her fortifier in the breastmilk and hopefully that will help... Girls are about 6 lbs now.

I'm still pumping. Its all I'm doing right now other than laying in bed.... I started taking domperidone to help my supply...I just didn't have enough for twins and couldn't increase it since they aren't bf'ing. Working great so far. Output is up 6 oz and I'm STARVING!!!! Ha.
#12 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Just a quickie from us before bed, and hopefully some shut eye. Toby is 4 weeks old today and just adorable. He's getting to be a little chubber!! He'll get weighed again next Tuesday but I'm pretty certain he's gaining nicely - he's an absolute booby machine. He's got really good head control now and it's so cute to see him looking around really alertly. I swear he's smiling too We had some professional photos done yesterday - I'll upload a few later.

Nicole - I'm impressed you're driving again. Here in the UK, most insurance won't let you drive for 6 weeks after a section. Fortunately I don't need to. I've healed up pretty well - I had a mild infection in my scar but it's cleared now after a course of antibiotics. I have felt a bit of pulling the last few days - I wondered if it's carrying Toby in the wrap. In the last few days he's refused to be put down to sleep in his Moses basket during the day (though, fortunately, not at night so far) so I just pop him in the Ellaroo and he nurses then nods off in there. It's my first proper experience of babywearing and I'm really loving it. One question for expereicned babywearers - we currently do a newborn nursing carry but he's already seeming quite long for it. Can I switch to an upright carry yet? As I said he has reasonable head control but it's not 100% reliable yet.

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
#13 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM

So glad you started a weekly thread!! I was so overwhelmed by the other one!!

We're 11 days pp here and everything is going wonderfully! I keep waiting for this to end, it just seems so much easier than with my first. Evan took to nursing like he had some experience under his belt--unlike my first. Plus with my first I was new to nursing, so that makes a difference too. Evan nurses every 3 hours during the day and then only wakes up once at night..it feels good to get some sleep this time!

I left the hospital with an infection at the incision as well, so have been doing the antibiotics along with probiotics. I thought I had a UTI as well, but the OB thinks it's just my bladder spasming while peeing--any others experience this?

Anyhoo, gotta run, so happy to see so many happy, healthy mammas!!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#14 of 25 Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 PM

flavorfull1 - Have you tried side-laying to nurse at night? If you can do that you can doze while baby is nursing.

Fireflyforever - You can do vertical carries, but baby should still have head/neck support at 4 weeks. Which Ellaroo carrier do you have?

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#15 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 AM

4 days pp. Got home from the hospital yesturday. First night alone with the baby last night and it went really well. She got up every three hours to feed, I changed her and I peed and went back to sleep. I'm co-sleeping with her which has really helped me get to her before she starts crying. Tucked under my arm at night I wake up when she starts to wiggle, grab the nipple sheild and start feeding. I've noticed my bladder control isn't what it was, and I NEED to pee every time she wakes which I guess is a side effect of all the swelling and tearing. Thank modern living for peri-bottles! I fill those suckers up with warm water and ahhh! Swelling has gone down some, no long looks like I've got nuts from the back but it is still really uncomfortable to sit.

I definately am falling for my little one. She is just so cute! Glad that my fears about bonding post partum weren't warrented. I think she's just fabulous. Although it helps that she doesn't really cry more than maybe once a day.

Went for the second checkup, weigh-in at the pedi today and she has almost gained back her weight from birth. Doctor suggested that I think about having her tonge snipped to help with her latch issues as I don't want to use the nipple sheild forever. Going to go post in breastfeeding to find out about the pros and cons of that one.

Feeling a little isolated? Or maybe just stressed.... So much has happened over the past five days, from my beautiful homebirth birth, to having emergency surgery and going into respatory failure and being in the ICU, then having her in post-partum recovery with me and now being home. There still feels like so much to do, registering the birth, making doctors appointments for myself, updating things with WIC, and my social worker for medi-cal. Maybe Thursday I'll give myself the day off. Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#16 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Wow, hugs to all the mommas. At least our babies are doing generally well. ZEVY, pneumonia now?! You'd better be getting some sleep so you can get off this unlucky streak! Basje, hugs to you, too; what an ordeal!!

For mastitis -- eating raw garlic works really well for me.

On older siblings now seeming gigantic -- dude, yes. My 2.5-yr-old's face is enormous!

Slings -- I do vertical carries in the Moby Wrap, but I also tried out my old EllaRoo hip carrier yesterday and was able to use it cinched tight, with a washcloth rolled up behind her head to make sure it remained snugly held.

Sleep transition -- I think just using the bassinet/whatever for naps during the day will have baby accustomed to sleeping 'other places'. I pretty much just 'wing' that kind of thing -- learn what your baby likes & work with that info.

Juju has caught the toddler's cold. Crap! But it seems slight enough so far, thankfully. She can still nurse well, in spite of the sounds coming from her nose. I just can't believe she has her first cold so young! Definitely will be donating some bottles of hand sanitizer to the toddler's classroom after the Carnaval break ends.

And, it's looking to me like my supply issues may really be related to my iron deficiency. So I wonder if the good-for-nothing doctors will give me my money back...

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#17 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajenism View Post
flavorfull1 - Have you tried side-laying to nurse at night? If you can do that you can doze while baby is nursing.

Fireflyforever - You can do vertical carries, but baby should still have head/neck support at 4 weeks. Which Ellaroo carrier do you have?
As long as head is in wrap or mai tai has a high top supporting the head, you can do this from birth. I didn't even bother with a "cradle/laying down" carry for my little one. We went right to over the shoulder in a wrap. Which he hates, incidentially, cause he wants to throw his head back and stretch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basje View Post
4 days pp. Got home from the hospital yesturday. First night alone with the baby last night and it went really well. She got up every three hours to feed, I changed her and I peed and went back to sleep. I'm co-sleeping with her which has really helped me get to her before she starts crying. Tucked under my arm at night I wake up when she starts to wiggle, grab the nipple sheild and start feeding. I've noticed my bladder control isn't what it was, and I NEED to pee every time she wakes which I guess is a side effect of all the swelling and tearing. Thank modern living for peri-bottles! I fill those suckers up with warm water and ahhh! Swelling has gone down some, no long looks like I've got nuts from the back but it is still really uncomfortable to sit.

I definately am falling for my little one. She is just so cute! Glad that my fears about bonding post partum weren't warrented. I think she's just fabulous. Although it helps that she doesn't really cry more than maybe once a day.

Went for the second checkup, weigh-in at the pedi today and she has almost gained back her weight from birth. Doctor suggested that I think about having her tonge snipped to help with her latch issues as I don't want to use the nipple sheild forever. Going to go post in breastfeeding to find out about the pros and cons of that one.

Feeling a little isolated? Or maybe just stressed.... So much has happened over the past five days, from my beautiful homebirth birth, to having emergency surgery and going into respatory failure and being in the ICU, then having her in post-partum recovery with me and now being home. There still feels like so much to do, registering the birth, making doctors appointments for myself, updating things with WIC, and my social worker for medi-cal. Maybe Thursday I'll give myself the day off. Anyway, that's where I'm at.
I'm very worried for you, Basje. You need to take it very easy. Do you have someone who can spend nights with you or check in with you every day? Please work out a buddy system with some people so that there are other people observing you to see that you are behaving normally (even on the phone, etc...) and just letting you know that they are there. It's very easy to do TOO much after a birth, and you had an espically traumatic post partum experience...and need to make sure you are getting enough rest and healthy food to eat.

Please take care of yourself and do not overdue. All the rest can wait until later, okay?

#18 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyforever View Post
Nicole - I'm impressed you're driving again. Here in the UK, most insurance won't let you drive for 6 weeks after a section. Fortunately I don't need to. I've healed up pretty well - I had a mild infection in my scar but it's cleared now after a course of antibiotics. I have felt a bit of pulling the last few days - I wondered if it's carrying Toby in the wrap. In the last few days he's refused to be put down to sleep in his Moses basket during the day (though, fortunately, not at night so far) so I just pop him in the Ellaroo and he nurses then nods off in there. It's my first proper experience of babywearing and I'm really loving it. One question for expereicned babywearers - we currently do a newborn nursing carry but he's already seeming quite long for it. Can I switch to an upright carry yet? As I said he has reasonable head control but it's not 100% reliable yet.

Guess you have to blame the "wonderful" medical system we have here in the States. Just a 2 week driving restriction here. I'm "supposed" to avoid lifting anything heavier than the baby for the entire 6 weeks, but with three other kids at home I bet you can figure out how well that is going. I have one spot internally along the incision that is still painful if I move a certain way - like I can't sit up straight in bed, I have to roll onto one side and push myself up sideways - but that part has been painful all along. I guess they really had to pull and tug to get Caleb out of there, so the OB said I would be sore for awhile. My exterior incision hasn't had any problems beyond being a little tender.

I have a mei tai and wore Caleb at the grocery store on Saturday (15 days old). The back is high enough and I kind of tie him tight against the boobies and he's happy and supported that way.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#19 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

I'm very worried for you, Basje. You need to take it very easy. Do you have someone who can spend nights with you or check in with you every day? Please work out a buddy system with some people so that there are other people observing you to see that you are behaving normally (even on the phone, etc...) and just letting you know that they are there. It's very easy to do TOO much after a birth, and you had an espically traumatic post partum experience...and need to make sure you are getting enough rest and healthy food to eat.

Please take care of yourself and do not overdue. All the rest can wait until later, okay?

Please take care of yourself! Your first job is to recover from birth, and bond with your baby. Can anyone come and help you out? We're here for you virtually, but you need some real-life support, too!
#20 of 25 Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

In non baby news, because it is so huge it is affecting my time with and ability to care for my children, we found out my husband (29 yo, never smoker, never chewer, no a big drinker) was diagnosed with oral cancer.

I spent the day getting him in to see THE BEST ENT doctors at Emory in Atlanta and now we have a plan of attack. What this has meant is 2 days away from my babies (by luck, my parents are here), and (gulp) Felix had to get 2 oz of formula today b/c he finished the milk I left for him and my mom couldn't defrost the frozen milk fast enough. (I don't blame her for not trying warm water and letting him cry for a bit...)

So, yeah. That's our $hitty news right now. I know some (tamara) have read about it on the blog. I may be kinda absent b/c we are planning on drop kicking this cancer, punching it in the throat and then annihilating it as soon as possible.

Please--hug all your little ones a little extra tight tonight. Well...every night.

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#21 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
In non baby news, because it is so huge it is affecting my time with and ability to care for my children, we found out my husband (29 yo, never smoker, never chewer, no a big drinker) was diagnosed with oral cancer.

I spent the day getting him in to see THE BEST ENT doctors at Emory in Atlanta and now we have a plan of attack.
I am so, so sorry! How horrible. Emory is a very good hospital and I'm glad to hear that you're going to do everything possible. Will be thinking of you.

Let me know if you want any suggestions on a place to go rest between doctors appointments. I lived in Atlanta for five years and my ex-wife went to Emory. You're very close to downtown Decatur which might be a nice place to spend some time with your hubby and try and decompress between all the doctors appointments. My favorite place is Java Monkey where they have an awesome hummus plate and vegan apple pie.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#22 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:

I spent the day getting him in to see THE BEST ENT doctors at Emory in Atlanta and now we have a plan of attack. What this has meant is 2 days away from my babies (by luck, my parents are here), and (gulp) Felix had to get 2 oz of formula today b/c he finished the milk I left for him and my mom couldn't defrost the frozen milk fast enough. (I don't blame her for not trying warm water and letting him cry for a bit...)

So, yeah. That's our $hitty news right now. I know some (tamara) have read about it on the blog. I may be kinda absent b/c we are planning on drop kicking this cancer, punching it in the throat and then annihilating it as soon as possible.

Please--hug all your little ones a little extra tight tonight. Well...every night.
Big hugs to you. Cancer sucks. Praying you can knock it out quickly.

Having an ok day here. Caleb is up to 10 lbs. 15 oz. as of his weight check this afternoon. And I found out I can't leave him alone with DH for an hour, apparently the two of them don't want to get along.

#23 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM

Ficus- I'm sorry to hear about your husband! You sound like you guys are doing a great job handling everything...amazing how we can step up to what gets thrown at us, right?

Let's see, I'll try not to make this a novel...

Robbie is 8 days old and I am so ridiculously in love with him. I did realize after this VBAC that for me, bonding takes a day or two but once it kicks in I am obsessed! I thought it was b/c I had a c-section with DD, and I was a bit scared that first night when I felt disconnected to him. But the next day my heart completely melted and I've been in love ever since.
Took him to the ped last Friday and he was already 6lbs 10oz (was 6.14 at birth) so I think he is chunking up well. He is a totally different nurser than DD was, and that is taking some getting used to! He is very laid back, and I am also much more laid back this time around. I'm not counting hours or anything between feedings...his output has been PLENTY, so I figure the input is just fine

Sleep. I need sleep. Not because of my sweet newborn...but my crazy three year old! She is not doing so well in the adjusting department. She's back to sleeping in our bed. Ok, fine. First night she slept great. But now she wants to be touching me all night long (and by touching, I mean practically laying on top of me...as well as putting her hands in my armpits and pinching me. yeah. ew.) and when I shift to nurse DS, she wakes up. And if she really wakes up, she can't fall back asleep. She woke up this morning at 2:30. TWO FREAKIN THIRTY! I spent the next four hours trying to get her to fall back asleep, and emotionally I was a wreck. I was angry, frustrated, sad. I gave up trying to get her to sleep at about 6:30am. She took a two hour nap at 2pm, when a friend came and saved me by driving her around. I am exhausted and she just fell asleep for the night (at 10:30)...I know I should go to sleep too. But I'm actually just dreading getting into bed with her and having last night replay itself.

Dh is being amazing but I'm worried about him. His job only gave him one day off to spend with us. He missed all of his classes last week and is really behind. So now he is trying to play catch up and I am worried sick...he HAS to graduate in May. There is no room for error right now. So he has a lot on his plate, and I just hope he doesn't crack under the strain. I'm trying not to put anything extra on him, but I also don't want to try and be superwoman myself.

I'm going to go cuddle with my little boy right now and remind myself that above all, I am happy...even if I am stressed!

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#24 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:

please tell me you got a second...and third opinion. (((hugs)))

[QUOTE=clicksab;15083643]
Sleep. I need sleep. Not because of my sweet newborn...but my crazy three year old! She is not doing so well in the adjusting department. She's back to sleeping in our bed. Ok, fine. First night she slept great. But now she wants to be touching me all night long (and by touching, I mean practically laying on top of me...as well as putting her hands in my armpits and pinching me. yeah. ew.) and when I shift to nurse DS, she wakes up. And if she really wakes up, she can't fall back asleep. She woke up this morning at 2:30. TWO FREAKIN THIRTY! I spent the next four hours trying to get her to fall back asleep, and emotionally I was a wreck. I was angry, frustrated, sad. I gave up trying to get her to sleep at about 6:30am. She took a two hour nap at 2pm, when a friend came and saved me by driving her around. I am exhausted and she just fell asleep for the night (at 10:30)...I know I should go to sleep too. But I'm actually just dreading getting into bed with her and having last night replay itself.
QUOTE]
nak.
get 3 yr old back in her bed. b4 u go to bed, pick her up and take to her bed. its ok to say no. wont be the 1st time. her reality has changed, and so has yours. you need to sleep. that must take a top priority and 230am waking is unacceptable.

your dh WILL have to take over...you need rest and to heal. he might need to go in toddlers room and get her back 2 sleep @2am. reality changes. 2 is hard. this too shall pass, tho.
xoxo

#25 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Sending you hugs and good energy for dealing with the cancer issue. That must be so overwhelming, especially right now!

We too are having issues with our three year old here. She would nurse down at night, pre-baby sister arrival, and I mean, for 2-3 minutes and then pass out. Now she wants to nurse all the time, and I have allowed her a few "sips" for naps, etc....explaining at all times, this is all baby sister can eat, we need to make sure there is enough for her. I have never tandem nursed before, and I don't really know what I am doing. But DD has become enraged lately if I try to get her to unlatch - hitting, biting, kicking....ugh. Last night she had to go to time out for biting me so hard she left a bruise...came back and apologized and I rubbed her back until she fell asleep. I guess I feel like I am not doing well by either one of them right now.

I also am with you all in the stitches department.....mine are very itchy and sore...and I am leaking a lot of pee. Grrrr. I leaked all pregnancy but really hoped it would stop. I know I had a bad time pushing this time, which I am imagining is contributing to this. It is hard to tell DD #1 - I can't crawl on the floor, jump up and down, etc, just yet.

Baby girl is doing great! 8lbs 10 at birth, 8lbs 2 when we left the hospital Friday, and Tuesday at her weight check she was 9lbs 1 oz!!! I was so happy, because DD #1 took a month to get to birth weight and was labeled failure to thrive....I had to use shields with her, and I didn't find the ped group very supportive. I am glad to not have to deal with that this time....enjoy your week!

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page