A gift for mama - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you buying yourself anything after the baby's born to represent say his/her name, the month they were born in, your family's name, etc.,etc.,? Something that you can wear like a necklace, bracelet, ring, pendant....

Since this is our last child, I knew that I always wanted to get something that signifies the differences between my two kiddos and right now the only thing that stands out are the months that they are born in. I'm thinking about getting this ring: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...how_panel=true - just need to wait and see if Will is going to be born in February or March. LOL I'd like to put my birthstone and DH's on the outside to represent 'security' of our children.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Beautiful ring!
After my DD was born I asked DH for a silver locket, and it has spots for the photographs of two children, so I will just add DS's picture to that. But I do think a mama who goes through all that deserves a little splurge--I'm going to buy a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups to try and get a little more out of the afternoon walks I'm planning to resume, and...a case of Stella Artois.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#3 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Beautiful ring!
After my DD was born I asked DH for a silver locket, and it has spots for the photographs of two children, so I will just add DS's picture to that. But I do think a mama who goes through all that deserves a little splurge--I'm going to buy a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups to try and get a little more out of the afternoon walks I'm planning to resume, and...a case of Stella Artois.
NICE!! Good for you, mama!! Yeah, beer..... hmmmmm.... what's that again? Oh, that's right. It's the beverage that I enjoyed over 9 months ago -a full one at that, without sneaking sips from DH's here and there.
I can't wait to partake in one again and it's good for lactation!

#4 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh got me this necklace to commemorate my pregnancy. I think I'll add a bead with the color of my baby's birth stone after he's born.
#5 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 AM

ok...first...i had a stella the other nite & it didn't taste right to me the next night i tried a magic hat #9 & it also wasn't as good as i remembered...not sure what's up with that!!!!!!!! maybe they had just sat around too long...i might need a nice draft.

DH got me one of these necklaces...
https://www.familytreeglass.com/inde...h=21_49&sub=49

And i'll also add a strand for Kaya Raine to my name bracelet that my friend makes.

I am now trying to find something special to represent my vbac success that i can get myself, my ob, a special nurse & my doula...my ob gave me this little angel that says"all things are possible". something like that for all of us that i can put the date on???

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#6 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM

I always wanted a necklace with the kids' birthstones, but I feel like I should wait until we are 100% done with having kids first...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#7 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

GuavaGirl and ellairiesmom - LOVE, love both of those necklaces. I'm not a huge necklace person, but those have really inspired me to change my mind! So simple and beautiful.

#8 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

I may get a necklace with a pendant dangling from it; each pendant with the childs name engraved on it. I have seen these kind of things in the back of magazines. Actaully I have several nice chains, so maybe I just need to get the engraved pendant!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#9 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM

busymama77-the gal from family tree glass is on mothering.

sunrise-i keep seeing the name pendants & also the "small print" where they take fingerprints & put them on silver charms...love those too!
http://www.smallprint.com/

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#10 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Are you buying yourself anything after the baby's born to represent say his/her name, the month they were born in, your family's name, etc.,etc.,? Something that you can wear like a necklace, bracelet, ring, pendant....

Since this is our last child, I knew that I always wanted to get something that signifies the differences between my two kiddos and right now the only thing that stands out are the months that they are born in. I'm thinking about getting this ring: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...how_panel=true - just need to wait and see if Will is going to be born in February or March. LOL I'd like to put my birthstone and DH's on the outside to represent 'security' of our children.
What a wonderful thought. I really like the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Beautiful ring!
lol!!! I hold that splurge opinion dear to my heart. I have been drooling over a vitamix for... months and it seems like forever. My husband tried to buy it on the sly to surprise me after this baby is born lol. The problem was I was looking to see if we could get it anyway and I guess I got a little too nosy. Luckily he is the type of guy to chuckle at me because I looove surprises and ruined a reallllly good one.
Last kid we had he got me some exercise equipment I had been wanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I always wanted a necklace with the kids' birthstones, but I feel like I should wait until we are 100% done with having kids first...
This makes me think of a lady at church who had 12 kids...
#11 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM

I love what everyone else has put on their wishlist

I was thinking that might be special, but I would probably wait until we are done having children. I like wearing only my wedding band and the necklace DH gave me on our wedding day so maybe a bracelet of some sort? Or I suppose I could start wearing another ring...
#12 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
<snip>

sunrise-i keep seeing the name pendants & also the "small print" where they take fingerprints & put them on silver charms...love those too!
yes, that is it! I like the fingerprint idea too!

All the ideas are very pretty!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#13 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 PM

My wedding ring had 5 (small) diamonds in a row and I lost a couple, then when replaced they kept coming loose...so, while pregnant, I had a jewlery designer make a new ring with a tree design and we placed the diamonds in the tree - to represent our family of 5! I love it now as it feels so much more meaningful to me - not that the symbol of our marriage wasn't, lol, just that I never had any attachment to that ring.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#14 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
busymama77-the gal from family tree glass is on mothering.

Love that one, too!! My b-day, our anniversary AND mother's day are all right around the corner..... HMMMMMM....

#15 of 21 Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM

mtnmoonmama-your tree ring sounds really cool-do u have a pic u can post??

busymama77-now u got me thinking about mother's day!!! and i love etsy so now u also got me out there looking at ideas too! lol

#16 of 21 Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

busymama77-now u got me thinking about mother's day!!! and i love etsy so now u also got me out there looking at ideas too! lol
I'm becoming slightly addicted to etsy. I bought stocking stuffers for DS (reusable snack bags in really cute prints). I've bought a bicycle t-shirt for DH for Father's Day last year. I recently bought a burp cloth and paci holder for the baby with his name on it. And I just bought these for myself this week (an early b-day present): http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=25508662

There is just SO much cool and unique stuff and really cheap prices. A friend of mine is going to start selling her homemade laundry soap on etsy. I can't wait!

#17 of 21 Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Since this is our last child, I knew that I always wanted to get something that signifies the differences between my two kiddos and right now the only thing that stands out are the months that they are born in... I'd like to put my birthstone and DH's on the outside to represent 'security' of our children.
This is exactly what I want to do, including putting mine and my partner's birthstones on the outside. I had thought about going the expensive route, though that would have to wait awhile. But since I would want silver or white gold anyway and would be fine with simulated birthstones, the ring you linked to may be exactly the ticket!
#18 of 21 Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Looking on Etsy I thought these were pretty...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38584119

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#19 of 21 Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 PM

NicoleS-loves those family clusters! very nice.

busymama77-cool earrings! a bit of a thread hijack here but...
wanna talk about etsy addiction!!!???!!! Here was my 1st etsy purchase...I wanted a comforter for DD1s bed when we moved her out of ours after her 2nd bday in Sept. Found a wonderful Mama there who made this...
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...ed/photo-3.jpg

Then...things got crazier...I realized how much was possible on etsy & I did a diaper bag to match our new MT baby carrier
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/IMG_6877.jpg

Just for fun-here's the carrier-my side & the reversible side for DH (made by another amazing mama)

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...HXTBloom-1.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...phsHXTSW-1.jpg

I love the fact that custom made items can be so much more affordable while being so unique...and we can support real people instead of big companies.

#20 of 21 Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
You know, I've actually been trying to take a pic of it but can't get one to come out good...I might still have the computer generated design that the jewlery designer made in my email. I'll see if I can find it and post that!

Another etsy lover here! A good friend of mine is super crafty and sells a lot from her shop - cozyblue. Check it out!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#21 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Mmmm.... Etsy, love that site

My engagement ring has a large garnet (mine and DH's b-stone) w/ two diamonds on the side. It has always been my plan to replace them with the kids birthstones (we plan on stopping at 2). Now I'll just have to see if it will be amethyst or another aquamarine. As much as I want this to be a Feb baby, I do love aquamarine

One son , 3 years old. One husband, nine years of love. Expecting A Girl Feb 25, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page