Daisy Charlotte -- Happy Hour baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Daisy Charlotte arrived on Friday 19th at 5:32pm, just in time for Happy Hour!
The delivery was extremely quick, they called it "precipitous...", didn't even get a chance to get out of the tub (which I was supposed to)! She literally just fell out of me at the end! Will post birth story soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Congrats!! Cute name! Hope you enjoyed happy hour.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay! Congratulations. Sweet name

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Congratulations! And cheers for quick and healthy births. Yay!
I've been salivating over the thought of an icy cold rum and coke this past month, so happy hour sounds great.

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Congratulations! Look forward to reading the whole story!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 AM

Congratulations!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 AM

Congrats! I voted for Daisy Charlotte in your poll!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Finally here is Daisy's birth story!

On Friday 19th February I was 6 days “overdue”, and I was having a normal "overdue" day: rode my bike to my daughter’s school; watched her fun run; cycled home via the People’s Coop (for RRL tea), the playground (to arrange a playdate/dinner that afternoon with a friend) & my DH's workshop; made some RRL tea; finished proof-reading a manuscript; attended my group's weekly meeting via skype....it got to 1:30pm and the end of the meeting and I noticed that the mild contractions I was having (had been having them for weeks now) were quite frequent (7 mins or so apart, but not hurting at all). Hmmm...called my DH, I told him I'd drink some water and lie down and see if they went away. Texted my friend who was on call to look after the girls "having ctx, not sure what they are yet, will keep you posted”. Within 15 minutes my DH had come home, I'd spoken to the midwife, texted my friend “are you able to get kids from school?”, thrown a few last-minute items into my suitcase…and we were on the way to the Birth Center (15 mins drive). I had heated up some leftover Thai curry for lunch but had no appetite, and was shaking all over. I was still not convinced I was in labour, however, but given my history of very fast labours (and need for IV antibiotics due to GBS+) they had asked me to come in at the first sign, and do no labouring at home.

DH dropped me at the lobby and went to park the car, I walked around the lobby, sent a couple of “we’re here but still not sure…” type texts, and thought DH was being a bit over-keen bringing in my suitcase! Up we went to the Birth Center, midwife Beth who delivered DD2 was there, I told her I wasn’t sure if I was in labour and she might be sending me home, she laughed and sent me to a room. We went to one of the small rooms while waiting for the big room where I had DD1 (which was being cleaned). The hot tub quicker to fill in that room & it’s a nicer room. My wonderful volunteer doula who assisted us with DD2's birth was already there (was 2:45pm on a Friday) and was happy to see me, as she had been having a bad day (she had told me I could call her at any time and she would come in).

The contractions were still coming, but extremely mild and manageable (early labour). Beth checked me and I was 2.5 cm, so lots of work left to do. I think that was around 3:30pm (lost track of time). The lovely Polish nurse administered an IV (for the antibiotics) which was a bit stressful as she couldn’t find a vein. Then my doula came back dressed for work (in scrubs) and she, DH and I walked along the corridors for a bit. The contractions were coming closer together by this time, and after 10 minutes or so I wanted to go back to the room. After about another half an hour, around 4:30pm they were getting pretty strong and I felt I needed some relief, so got into the hot tub, which was ready. In the tub things went pretty fast – Beth measured me again and I was about 5cm. Sometime while I was walking, another woman had arrived in labour (she arrived at 10cm and pushing) who Beth had to attend to, so she called in Rita to assist me (who had just finished clinic). Rita turned up around 4:45pm, and was there for the worst part of my labour. She was there when I said I couldn’t do any more (to which they all said I was doing it), I asked for pain meds, she said I’d have to get out of the tub for that (no way!) Every contraction, I would hold onto DH and the doula would rub the base of my back/pelvis which really helped. Some of the contractions were much worse than others, and towards the end of the strong ones, I could feel the baby moving down. Every time they monitored the heartbeat it was strong and everyone got so excited. Close to 5:25pm, Rita checked me and I was 8cm but there was a 4cm anterior lip (whatever that meant). When I heard 8cm I knew it was close to pushing time, because I pushed at 8cm for my previous two. I said this, and Rita told me I had to get out of the tub if I was going to push, because the baby cannot be born underwater. So I stood up (with much assistance from DH and Ann) and got on foot partway out of the tub. Next contraction came right away and I pushed, and the head crowned. One more contraction immediately afterwards, and the baby just fell out of me, at 5:32pm! Rita caught the baby and handed her to me, I was in shock, couldn’t believe it was all over so fast…I was so relieved and happy. Our little girl was perfect.

I got out of the tub, with people helping me and making sure I didn’t drop the baby, and got onto the bed. I was shaking, and really in shock because of the pace (I had gone from not believing I was in labour to having my baby in my arms in about 2 hours). The next part was horrible, there was so much pressure on my bum (because my hemorrhoids were enormous) and I felt it hard to lie down. The placenta was not coming out, and DH had asked Rita not to pull on it as we suspect that was what had caused a postpartum hemorrhage last time. She pressed down on the top of my uterus and it was so painful I screamed out and started crying. After 30 minutes or so, Rita was pretty antsy to get it out, so they catheterised me to empty my bladder and then I had to push. It finally came out about 40-45 minutes post-partum. After that, Rita checked me and said there were no tears, and they cleaned me up and put a warm blanket on me. And then Rita left, because she had a date! The next few hours we spent with our little baby, we were finalising her name, calling/texting people (the girls first!!) to tell them the news. Around 8:30 DH went out into Hillcrest to get some food and got me a Jamba Juice smoothie. I ate the sandwich he’d got me from the cafeteria earlier, which tasted really good as I was ravenous. I called my Mum at 11:20pm (7:20am her time) and told her the name was Daisy Charlotte. DH left around midnight, it was raining! I fell asleep for a short time, still coming down off the andrenalin.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Great birth story...I can't believe how quickly things can change...not believe, to pushing her out in two hours! enjoy!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Congratulations!

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010

User Tag List