Nocturnal newborn: help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There might be a better place to post this, but since many of you have few-day old newborns I wonder if you know what to do. Five-day-old Daisy has classic day/night confusion: she sleeps all day, waking only for feeds, and will not settle back to sleep after her night feeds. Last 2 nights she has been fussing from 12:30-5am. She won't settle in her bassinet (which is next to the bed, and is a little better if she's in our bed). My husband wants to get her a pacifier (NO!!!) I really want to avoid it. Any suggestions on what to do? We are already exhausted. Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM

I don't have my new newborn yet, but if I remember the most important things are to minimize night-time stimulation (like keep the lights off or as low as possible, resist the urge to turn on the television), expose her to as much light (especially natural light) as possible during the day, and be patient--it could be six weeks before her little clock is set.
Good luck!!

(P.S. There are no pacifier police. If you think it would work, it's your sanity at stake! )

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#3 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Ditto what Happi said. I also try to wake them up every 2 hours during the day.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#4 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Malachi did this for the first two weeks. it is part age related and part see if the baby will respond to what u can facilitate. i hear you on the pacifier thing, we arent using one either, and i agree that if it is what your fam needs then go w it. encouraging cluster feeding starting in the late afternoon slowly let malachi get the idea. we coslep too which helped him realize night time bc we would nurse side lying and have very minimal light if possible. there are still many nights where his eyes pop open and he is almost impossible to settle. then there are other nights he just sleeps, eats and goes back to sleep over and over again. the only link i really found was regular eating in the day time helped but i think getting older helped the most. this is where side lying to nurse is so helpful. i sympathize though, you will get through the sleepless nights

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#5 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM

I agree with more daytime feedings (and light and noise) and then nursing while cosleeping at night--and no lights/noises at night if can be helped.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#6 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM

can I ditto everyone?? I would definitely encourage you to wake the baby for feedings during the day if she's sleeping through them..

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM

My baby is sleeping mostly thru the night but I have him next to me so if he is not nursing he is using my boob as his pillow.....he does wake for a few minutes to go back to sleep and I hardly notice because he will either latch on or just settle back to sleep.....don't know if its feasible for you to put baby next to you at bedtime???? This is the only way we both can sleep thru the night ....good luck!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#8 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Some good advice here already.

You might want to check what you're eating for dinner and see if it's making her fuss because of wind. What you eat for dinner would most likely affect her in the time period you mentioned.

Our nights have been going better since I've been careful of what I eat at night time, but I also have a little night owl here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page