Mothering Forum banner

My VBAC baby was born--2 weeks ago.

908 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  stacylsc 
#1 ·
I don't post very often, but I should mention that I had my baby. She'll be two weeks old tomorrow.

I haven't written my whole birth story, but basically I was so convinced that she was not coming any time soon that my husband and I took a vacation 70 miles north of the city the weekend I was 39 weeks. No big deal on a sunny day--but it turned out to be the weekend we had a snow/ice storm in Atlanta. I woke up at 2 am with bloody show and contractions started at 4 am, 3 minutes apart. Because they were so close together we decided to head back into town and if I wasn't in labor we would head back to our house (which is 10 minutes from the hospital). The drive was scary. I started feeling pressure and wasn't sure what it meant. I kept telling my husband that I wanted him to go slow for safety reasons, but inside I wanted him to go fast! I didn't doubt my body's ability to birth the baby in the car if I had to, but I did have a brief moment of worry because I have GD and I knew there was a higher rate of shoulder issues with GD/macrosomic babies. I was also really uncomfortable in the car but it was 20 degrees outside and I was worried about hypothermia.

It turned out my worry was unfounded, because we made it to the hospital a good 5 hours before she ended up being born.
The 5 hours went quickly, though. I was a 5 in triage and a couple of hours later I was a 9 with a bulging bag of water. I let the doctor break my water and I stayed mobile to try to bring her down. I started pushing at 9cm with a lip. I pushed for an hour and fifteen minutes and she was born!

Her name is Anneliese Joy and she was 8 lbs, 11 oz. I was a VBAC and a gestational diabetic who was on a triple-digit daily dose of insulin. A lot of people would consider me a "bad candidate" for VBAC, but I did it! I feel great and I'm enjoying my baby immensely.

See less See more
#8 ·
Congratulatons!!! My baby was born on the 12th so almost the same day!1 I also had GD and like you it caused no problems at the end thank goodness!! I am so glad you got the vbac you wanted!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.