My baby is (finally) here too! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies

I am very happy to announce that I had my baby boy on Feb 24th at 11:37pm. He was a perfect 9lbs even and 21" long. (1 inch shorter and a half pound lighter then my first!)

This labour went ENTIRELY different from my last. I am still in shock at how different labours can be!

I was 4 days past my due date and feeling a little low that I haden't gone into labour yet. I haden't really felt any real braxton hicks contractions or anything either but had been crampy and uncomfortable almost every evening for weeks.

Well, on weds, my day started out normally, I took my toddler to our play group in the morning, came home for lunch and his nap, did a load of laundry and swept the floors, etc. Called my mom at 4:30, was still on the phone with her at 5:00 when I suddenly (and I really do mean SUDDENLY) felt some serious back pain. At first I thought maybe I had over done it with the chores so I sat down on the couch but the pain started to radiate to my hips in about 15mins. I let my mom go off the phone and thought about what I should do next...I wasen't really sure what was going on, if I was in labour or if something else was wrong as my last labour started out nothing like this...I had a lot of pre-labour last time and felt real contractions that very gradually grew stronger throughout the day. This was just serious, sudden back pain that was bearable but definately not comfortable....after about a 1/2 hour, I called my hubby and told him to come home from work and start evening farm chores right away.
I still hasen't sure if it was "real" or not but I was starting to think maybe as the pain was now (still only in my back) but I could time it about 4 mins appart. He came home, did chores in record time lol but I told him we still had time for him to have supper with our toddler and his mother (who is here to watch our son) then we got the truck loaded and waited at the house for abit. The contractions were getting closer and closer together but were not lasting for very long-maybe 45secs? but they were becoming more intense quickly. When the contractions were 2-3mins appart, we left for the hospital and got there at 8pm.

The nurse checked me and said I was only 5-6 and that the baby was posterior. Which I had suspected because of having anterior placenta this time. (I had been trying to rotate the baby for weeks, crawling on all fours, doing pelvic tilts, etc) now knowing that the baby was definately posterior made me feel pretty helpless though as I thought this labour would go on forever and I would be tempted into drugs/epideral.

I went immediately into the labour shower and sat on a birthing ball for about an hour then moved out of the shower, still sitting on the birthing ball but leaning forward to rest my head on the bed. I periodically got up and walked around the room, did squats, did figure 8s with my hips, etc. My nurse was really excellent about suggesting position changes to try to help move the baby into a better position but nothing worked. Finally and suddenly while sitting on the birthing ball, I started to feel pressure in my bottom so we called the nurse who checked me, who very quickly went and got the doctor who told me I was 10 with a bit of lip....after a few mins, I was ready to push. I only pushed for 6 mins!!! He turned in the birth cannel and was born normally. He cried immediately after birth, apgars were 9 and 10 and he nursed almost right away when he was put up on my chest. It was amazing and wonderful! I did tear but it was only a second degree tear and the healing has been much easier then last time. I pushed for almost 2hours last time and had a 3rd degree tear.

We are really happy to be home and are enjoying both our boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Yay! Congratulations, mama!!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
Old 03-06-2010, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yay congrats!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Beautiful! Congratulations, and welcome, baby boy!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Welcome darling!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Congrats! Six minutes of pushing--nice work!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. I can't believe my little guy is already 2 weeks old...going by so fast!

User Tag List