Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat thread (for everyone!) March 8 - March 14th

3K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  NicoleS 
#1 ·
Since almost everyone is well into postpartum, perhaps we could make this the everyone chat thread again? I won't be offended, really!

AFM, feeling better today. Talked with mw assistant and she said it is still a totally safe time. I am meeting with her and mw tomorrow- and we will discuss everything. Yesterday I was just feeling rotton and scared. Today I am still a little scared but more surrendering, talking to the mw assistant calmed me down some. She said in their practice they have had quite a number of women go to 43 weeks and in a healthy well nourished mom it isn't a problem.

The really weird thing is- well, if baby comes today it will be born on my sister's birthday. But if baby goes even really later (which is not what I want but is just a weird thing) like to Saturday- then the baby will be born on MY birthday!

That would just be so weird if all the times it could be born ends up being my own birthday. Of course I may go crazy if I have to wait that long!

Anyway- I tend to feel better in the morning- and grumpy by night. Still kind of nervous, I guess. but the baby is moving around lots still so that feels better.

I don't know- I go back and forth on my feelings right now. It is getting intense though- 41 weeks + 5days.

So please, maybe this could be a postpartum thread too. I do not need a chat thread all to myself, it feels better to have us all on the same thread, y'know?

See less See more
#2 ·
You're doing great, Katie, and I'm glad your mw's are supportive! Just take these last few precious days to enjoy the LAST time you'll have to yourself for a while.

#3 ·
I am all for one thread, I check both anyway to see how you are doing and I would hate for you to be lonely! all I have are hugs and support but not really any advice. You are a champ though!

#6 ·
Katie, it's so hard to wait! I'm rooting for you keeping your birthday to yourself. A day or two in either direction is fun. My dad is the day before me, but we did have to share the birthday cake and he got to choose the flavor!

So, I'm still trying to adjust to my new life as a mom of 2, but the baby is so far so easy I feel like I have no excuse. DD1 is constantly pushing boundaries and it's tiring. We're all getting over a cold that I can't seem to shake entirely. It hit us all pretty hard. I'm hoping this will be the week to get into our new groove... ha ha- I DO know better that to think there is a groove to be gotten into!! 3 weeks on now and Lucy still sleeps almost continually.

The big news for us is we're moving back to the US!!!
We'll be in St. Louis. I don't suppose someone on this DDC is very familiar with the city? I've never been there. Provided my husband gets tenure in a few years, we're planning to stay for a long while- like at least until the girls are done with school. The stress from all of this is probably also contributing to our lower immunity. However, it is going to be worth it to be home again. It's so silly, isn't it? I love Europe, but I want to be home again. The move won't happen until August so we'll get another brisk English "summer".

#9 ·
My birthday is 6 days after my older daughter's birthday. I kind of like it, although the year she was born I was so gobsmacked from just giving birth and taking care of a newborn that I kept forgetting it was my birthday.
Last year we did a joint family party and I think I got more attention than usual since the party was technically for both of us. We wouldn't have done a party for just me.

My younger daughter was born Feb 13. Everyone kept saying that she barely missed being a V-day baby, but I'm glad she wasn't born on a holiday.

#11 ·
I'm still here and pregnant! I'm either 42 weeks exactly, 40w4d, or 39 weeks, depending on which date we decide to go with as an ovulation date...but really, it's a mystery! Either way, I feel 42 weeks pg!

I did have three hours of mild labor on Saturday night, but then it went away. So, I guess that I have officially entered prodromal labor land.

Katie, I'm thinking of you. I think it's just me and you left, right? We can't stay pregnant forever!

Quote:

Originally Posted by biennourri View Post
The big news for us is we're moving back to the US!!!
We'll be in St. Louis. I don't suppose someone on this DDC is very familiar with the city? I've never been there. Provided my husband gets tenure in a few years, we're planning to stay for a long while- like at least until the girls are done with school. The stress from all of this is probably also contributing to our lower immunity. However, it is going to be worth it to be home again. It's so silly, isn't it? I love Europe, but I want to be home again. The move won't happen until August so we'll get another brisk English "summer".
Exciting! I don't know much about Saint Louis, but I have been there a few times. Hope you like humidity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
ditto ... and I need to post my birth story... but here"s a picture i took this morning.... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=680844712
Judy, congratulations!
I noticed yesterday that your siggy had changed, and I was wondering when you were going to officially let us know!

#12 ·
Hi Ladies,
I've been lurking rather than posting as i've been having both DDs all to myself pretty much all the time. DF has been working lots and also preparing his car for a car show which is taking all his 'spare' time

It wouldn't be so difficult but DD2 is a perfectly calm baby, until I try to put her down. I tried a sling but my back / shoulder just can't do it. So I'm just having to take everything slowly and not let the piling-up housework bother me.

So I'm well impressed with all you ladies who are bouncing back to your pre-preg weight. Not so easy for me... I'm 3 weeks PP now, I have about 20 lbs still to lose, even though I already lost about that. I'm too tired to be able to diet though! My body just needs food right now. And I think I just need to be patient, but it does get to me that I actually have nothing to wear =( Maternity clothes don't fit, but my pre preg ones definitely don't either! And I want to look nice when i'm out showing off my beautiful daughters

As for DTD, I feel ready, but am a bit nervous! Going to wait until the bleeding stops though...

#13 ·
As far as weight loss goes, I'm down about 30 lbs from delivering and I'm a good 20 lbs or so smaller than my pre-pregnancy weight. BUT. I was obese to start with. I still need to lose about 100 lbs to be at a healthy weight. Also, I have been eating basically anything and everything in site for the past couple of weeks and I know I have to stop that or I am going to start packing the pounds back on.
So even though it's the last thing I want to be doing right now, I started counting calories today using the Lose It Iphone/Ipod Touch application. Wish me luck!

#14 ·
Hey ladies!! I'm here! My little one is peacefully sleeping on the couch right now, so I have a moment to actually type. I've been checking up on you all daily though! All is going well for the most part. ds2 is definitely testing the boundaries....but he also just turned 3, so maybe a combo of all things?

The weight thing I am trying not to obsess about, but it is so hard! I am almost 7 weeks pp now and dropped 20 lbs by the 3rd day pp and nothing else has budged! I still have 20 lbs to loose and none of my pants fit back yet. I lost all the weight without trying with my first 2 - really quickly, so this time it's been a bit of a surprise that it's not melting away as easy. Like I said, trying not to obsess, trying not to obsess, trying not to obsess....

LOVE reading all the birth stories and new mama life adjustments. Such an amazing time!

#16 ·
mtnmoonmama - my baby is peacefully sleeping on the couch too! So I get to type with two hands at the moment.

I haven't posted too much since Elsa was born. I got to have the homebirth I wanted!!! I'm still soooo happy about that. Even during labor, I would say how glad I was to be at home. It was just wonderful. I ended up pushing her out on my hands and knees, which I had no idea I was going to do, it just felt right. The cord was really short, so I couldn't bring her all the way up to me and I had to feel to make sure they were telling me the truth and she had a vagina! I had to get three stitches (same as last time) for a 1st degree tear, so not too bad at all. Also, no butt pain this time! I don't know if it was pushing in a different position or else pushing for a lot less time, but walking this time around is way easier.

I decided to give the whole placenta eating thing a try. The day I gave birth and the next day I had placenta smoothies and I've been taking capsules since. (thanks to my mom and dad for preparing everything for me!) Had I known I really wouldn't be able to taste anything in the smoothie, I think I would have saved more raw frozen placenta for smoothies and only had about half in capsules. Oh well, there is always next time.

Elsa is nursing pretty well, she is starting to look slightly jaundice, but she's been in the sunny window today and yesterday and I'm trying to make sure she is nursing a lot (she's quite frequent, but not long sessions) We have her first Dr appointment Wednesday, so I'm hoping she isn't too yellow and they don't try to push any sort of treatment.

I guess that's about it for now, she's starting to wake up and my breasts would love a nursing.

#17 ·
I think it's funny that our DDC ended up with two Elsas. For a name that barely cracks the top 1000 the odds seem low. Of course, even though it's a family name it wasn't under serious consideration until we saw her.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I think it's funny that our DDC ended up with two Elsas. For a name that barely cracks the top 1000 the odds seem low. Of course, even though it's a family name it wasn't under serious consideration until we saw her.
That is kind of weird. I have absolutely loved the name since before I knew I was having a boy with my first. DH still isn't completely sold on it, but I really, really wanted it. I actually wanted it to be Elsa Lu, but DH really didn't care for that and I'm not too big on middle names so I let it slide

When I read your birth story, I thought "oh boy, I hope I don't have a 13lb Elsa in me!"

#20 ·
Hi ladies! Was up most of the night last night with a congested 1 month old
Such a bummer to see him sick. Such is life, right?

On the weight loss talk, I've got 15 to lose to be back to pre-preg, but I'm really shooting for 20...I wasn't happy with my pre-preg weight... Plus I have a wedding to be in this summer, so the pressure is on!

#21 ·
I can't put this baby dowwwwwn! Having a low milk supply SUCKS! This girl WANTS to be as easy a baby as her sisters were, but my breasts are not complying. And so I literally get like 30 minutes total out of each 24-hr period where Juju is not nursing or asleep on me. I could just give more formula, but I know it will lead to the end of breastfeeding. We were at 70mL bottles of formula 3x's a day until we started feeding w/tube supplementation which actually made her start hating unsupplemented breasts (!!! mistake!!!); then she went to double the amount of formula!! So off the tubes -- just doing bottles, 3 fast times per evening, and she is back to accepting regular nursing, WHEW.
This is hard!!

#22 ·
Tamara - that sucks. I know I'm crazy for some baby-free time, and this guy gives me more breaks than that! Love my baby and all, but really miss, you know, cooking, typing with two hands, playing with my toddler...

Was going to type more, but August is bellowing at his dad, meaning it's time to nurse again.

#23 ·
Yup, I'm sitting here with baby on boppy attached to the boob and me at the computer while DD1 wakes up from her nap. She wants to be held most of the time too, but will luckily settle for the sling. I'm sore from walking too much with it on Sunday so I decided to take her around in the stroller today. I only felt some guilt. I felt more guilt when DD1 lost it when I couldn't put her in a swing at the playground. On second thought, I shouldn't have taken her that route home.

So, the weight loss thing has been bugging me too. I still need to lose about 15-20lbs myself. I know it's only 3 weeks on, but my belly isn't deflating fast enough for me. At least DD1 has stopped telling me I have a big tummy
. So, what are you all eating? I don't want to compromise my milk supply so I'm not considering a diet. During pregnancy I was trying to follow Bradley/Brewer loosely. Are you supposed to continue that while breastfeeding? Last time the stress and not being able to finish a meal helped me lose weight quickly. This time, I just feel stuck. I want to wear something other than these two pairs of maternity pants again!

#24 ·
For the most part, I'm cool with it b/c I feel like I'm doing what I have to do. But I do miss taking my time in the shower and being able to eat without worrying about dropping rice on her head! We are constantly in the Moby (cool, rainy days) or the mei tai (hot, sweaty days). The thing about the slings, though, is that I don't like bending down with them (weak leg muscles, I guess), so I find myself only cleaning things that are above a certain height.

I did put Juju in a bouncy seat last night, and she stared at the toys dangling from the bar above her head, which was very exciting for me. She's 3.5 weeks adjusted age (11.5 weeks actual) and so finally becoming more interactive.

She's been smiling since birth, though, which is nothing short of incredible. Literally smiling, fleeting as those grins are!

Biennourri, I am so jealous you are heading back to the US! My husband is heading there this week, and I am trying to make a SHORT list of things he can bring back for me...

#25 ·
I just had the most WRETCHEd midwife appointment. I am fine, physically and all. Deleted rest of this post. ugh! Just feeling super irritated by these people and the whole energy of how they are treating me- it is not what they are suggesting as much as how just totally awful under the surface of it it all feels when I am with them.

#26 ·
Oh, Katie...I'm so sorry...hang in there.

Weight loss...haven't gotten on a scale since the hospital when I was leaving...hadn't lost ANY weight at that time because I gained 12 all pregnancy and I was so full of fluid when I checked out from the c-section. I can't wear jeans or anything that rubs on my incision anyhow, so its yoga/knit pants for me...skirts for church. With the past kids I've allowed myself 9 mo. to get back to the my pre-preg. weight...I figure nine months up, nine months down! If it happens sooner, so be it.

Birthdates...true story...my SIL gave birth to a son, Dillon, yesterday at 34 weeks...he was born on his sister's and cousins Birthday! That's right, my parents have THREE of their seven Grandkids born on March 8...isn't that crazy!? One of them is my DD...who turned five!

Still feeling blue...less of the crying out of guilt/regret, but more quick temper and crazy upset over small things, then sobbing because I feel like such a JERK. (My poor family.) I spoke to the OB nurse again...she told me she'd talk to my Dr., but knows that he'll suggest counseling and a low-grade anti-anxiety med. Thoughts on this? I'm also going to see my B.E.S.T. Pracitioner this afternoon, so hopefully that will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.