Weekly chat thread - March 15th - March 21st - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello all! I've only got one hand free and DP went out with his friends tonight so I've got all 5 kiddos to myself (yay) ...

I'll try to get on later and make an actual post. babies' pics are cute

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Jill -- Toby is beautiful!

Juju is asleep somewhere that is NOT *on me* right now. OMG, ME LIKEY.

Also, my husband visited the US and brought back my order of cloth diapers and accoutrements -- I am in heaven! Juju is asleep in a Moby swaddle blanket, Baby Legs, organic prefold with a Snappi, a Gerber undershirt (they don't have comparable ones here!) and a wool diaper cover! Having so much fun with my stash!

Also-also, Sophie the Giraffe is not as cute in person!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM

EC - I would love to. DP's open to it as well, we just can't figure out how to make it work for us. We've got a huge family and I can't be completely attentive all the time to the baby. Yes, he's in my arms/the wrap/right next to me in bed for 23.5 hours of the day, but I'm still watching the other 4, playing with them, changing the two toddler boys' bums or helping them potty, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, stopping fights/stealing/destruction by the kids, etc.

I did EC a fair amount of the time with DS3 (who is my bio DS1), and had him going poop on the potty quite often by his first birthday, but then my DH at the time (soon to to be XH) left us and we started doing shared custody (2 hours a few days a week to start, but now he gets an overnight every week plus another 8 hour day) and the pottying skills were lost since X just puts DS3 in sposies and doesn't even check/change them very often (like every 2-4 hours he'll check/change). So all of our efforts are currently being sabotaged in the toilet-learning department for DS3 (and don't even get me started on how X is ruining our attempts at discipline. He encourages, promotes and rewards violent behavior and bullying. teaches DS3 how to shoot toy guns and play dead, etc. we're struggling to find a method of discipline that makes me feel happy, follows AP, is loving, and is also effective.)

Perhaps when we don't have 5 kids under the age of 6 (like when it's time for the next baby, we'll have a 7 year old, a 5 year old, two 4 year olds and a 2 year old and then a newborn) we'll work on EC. I can't do everything, I just do what I can.

Baby poo ... I don't love it but I certainly don't think it's offensive at all. With my first his EBF poo always smelled like buttered popcorn. I haven't figured out the odor for DS4 yet. Not bad, it's just a distinctive smell.

We are almost 6 weeks postpartum and I still feel amazing. DP and I are ravenous for each other and can't wait to be able to DTD. We attempted the other night and it got nowhere, so we shall continue to wait and paw at each other like horny teenagers.

DS4 (new baby for reference) is doing very well, too. He's starting to grow out of some of the 3 month size clothing (he's tall!). Pushing 11 pounds. Our snappis came in the mail this week, which DP and I are both happy about. Pins were an annoyance and we kept sticking our fingers. DS4 is starting to smile and giggle a bit. He's also losing the back half of his hair now ... he lost the front half about a week and a half ago. This patchy hair thing is not a good look. He does have fuzz coming in, though, which is certainly better than nothing.

I am not ready for DP to go back to work on the 31st of this month. He's been a huge help (despite recovering from hernia surgery and dealing with his chronic back pain) and I will miss having him around all of the time. I know the kids will miss him, too.

Oh, and I looked into buying Bum Genius diaper covers (we just use vinyl pants now) but even the used ones are way too expensive to justify buying them. DP vetoed me splurging on them. Other things are more important to us ... eating healthy, organic food, good quality Burt's Bee's bath stuff, etc. Wish we had an extra $100 or thereabouts so I could get the Bum Genius's.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM

The baby poo question, I only *love* the smell compared to the toddler's poo. I definitely don't mind the smell at all though.

Lillypop - we mostly use the Gerber "vinyl" pants too - they aren't vinyl anymore though, they are made with PEVA now. I liked the vinyl better. If you are looking for new covers though, I also like the prowraps and they aren't as expensive as other covers. About $5-$6 a piece, even less expensive if you can find them used somewhere. A friend of mine used prowraps with a gerber prefold just laying inside of them.

Mama to three

Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Lillypop - we mostly use the Gerber "vinyl" pants too - they aren't vinyl anymore though, they are made with PEVA now. I liked the vinyl better.
I used those for overnight with my DD, with good Chinese prefolds inside, and I thought they worked great. All our "nice" covers leaked overnight. Actually I'm totally kicking myself for having gotten rid of them, because now this little guy is leaking at night and I was thinking I should try that again. What do you not like as well about the new ones? Guess I should find out before I run out and buy some.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I used those for overnight with my DD, with good Chinese prefolds inside, and I thought they worked great. All our "nice" covers leaked overnight. Actually I'm totally kicking myself for having gotten rid of them, because now this little guy is leaking at night and I was thinking I should try that again. What do you not like as well about the new ones? Guess I should find out before I run out and buy some.
What covers have you tried that are leaking? We've never had a problem with proraps or bummis, though I prefer bummis (seems like they scratch his belly less...)

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
What covers have you tried that are leaking? We've never had a problem with proraps or bummis, though I prefer bummis (seems like they scratch his belly less...)
I have a hodge-podge, including mostly homemade ones. I have some proraps in this size but no bummis, although I did use those with my DD. It's not so much that they leak during normal (daytime) usage, it's just that there isn't enough room in them to stuff them with enough absorbant material to get through night-time wetting. Cheap plastic pants have these huge bubble butts but snug waist and leg holes, so you can layer two or three prefolds in there. Wool works too, to a certain extent, but I don't have enough wool for constant overnight use, plus they are so cute I like to save them for daytime.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Happileigh, does wool work well for you? I have several wool covers that I knit and lanolized but I have a hard time believing that they really will prevent leaking.

I love seeing everyone's baby pics!

Here's Ze today. http://kristenediger.shutterfly.com/160

He was 9 lbs. 4 oz. at his ped appointment on Wednesday, up 3 lbs. from his birth weight, 5 weeks ago!! Still has a cold that makes sleeping hard. I think if he didn't have the cold he would only wake up once at night. He does a 4-hour chunk initially, then 2 2-hour chunks. He did sleep the whole night in his bed last night. I would love to co-sleep but he makes so much noise at night and keeps both of us up.He loves being worn by mom and dad during the day, though. Right now he's sleeping in his Beco on DH. And he's thinking about smiling at things. He is such a fun, sweet baby!

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
The first pack I bought made with PEVA, just tore apart at the seams, quite easily. We have used them since and they do hold up quite well with DS, I just liked the vinyl better...although PEVA is supposed to be better for the environment. They actually get less tears in them and come out of the washer a bit softer. I think I am just partial to the vinyl because they were the first covers I bought that worked really, really well with DS and didn't cost that much at all. I haven't used them on Elsa yet because her legs are too tiny for the 0-3 month size.

A few friends are letting me try out their Thirsties covers, they work really well! I don't know what they retail for though, I'm not sure how they'd hold up over night.

---------

It's crazy to me that some of you already have smiling, socially interacting babies already. My little one just sleeps, sleeps, eats, poops, and sleeps some more. (She's only 15 days old though)

Mama to three

Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
Happileigh, does wool work well for you? I have several wool covers that I knit and lanolized but I have a hard time believing that they really will prevent leaking.

I love seeing everyone's baby pics!

Here's Ze today. http://kristenediger.shutterfly.com/160

He was 9 lbs. 4 oz. at his ped appointment on Wednesday, up 3 lbs. from his birth weight, 5 weeks ago!! Still has a cold that makes sleeping hard. I think if he didn't have the cold he would only wake up once at night. He does a 4-hour chunk initially, then 2 2-hour chunks. He did sleep the whole night in his bed last night. I would love to co-sleep but he makes so much noise at night and keeps both of us up.He loves being worn by mom and dad during the day, though. Right now he's sleeping in his Beco on DH. And he's thinking about smiling at things. He is such a fun, sweet baby!

Wool works incredibly when it's properly lanolized! I was skeptical too at first, but I fell in love with wool covers the first time I used one overnight and my son woke up with a dry bed for the first time in months.

And Ze is adorable

All the babies are adorable Tristyn is doing well. She has upped her intake of milk while I'm gone so I'm worried that the 2 pumpings I can manage on shift (I pump when I get home if she isn't hungry) isn't going to be enough. Here's hoping!

Our dog went missing last night She hasn't shown up at the shelter so I'm thinking someone picked her up and took her. She had just had a bath so she didn't have her collar on and she's so pretty I know someone could just snatch her up. I hope she does show up because I can't imagine explaining to the boys that she is gone for good.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM

The Thirsties outlet (www.thirstiesoutlet.com, I believe) sells seconds of their covers for 7.95 each. I got mine from there. The selection is hit and miss but worth a look.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 PM

So, 5 weeks pp, and I joined the gym, and went to a step class. Oh. my. goodness...... I knew i was unfit but I had no idea how hard that would be.

Guess it can only get easier!

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
The Thirsties outlet (www.thirstiesoutlet.com, I believe) sells seconds of their covers for 7.95 each. I got mine from there. The selection is hit and miss but worth a look.
There's also a site called Jillian's Drawers that has a gently used section with thirsties covers for 7.50. . .they're in EUC and I bought 3 that looked brand new minus tags. I was very impressed. I love thirsties!

User Tag List