Austin James is 5 weeks old =) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry i haven't gotten around to logging on and updating you all with my birth story.

Austin James was born on Feb 7 at 11:58pm--Super Bowl Sunday. We had all sorts of fun super bowl related name suggestions (Colt, for example). I was totally expecting our baby to be a girl, so he didn't have a name til he was about 18 hours old.
I had a beautiful water birth at home. I started contracting around noon. I walked, rested, ate, rested, walked, played with my kids, etc. all afternoon, all with very light contractions, 8 or so minutes apart. By 7pm, the kids were getting ready for bed and contractions began to pick up. my parents arrived by 8 (in case the kids woke up or we had an emergency) and m/w arrived about 9:30. I got into the tub after 10, and labor got really intense and loooowww. I pushed for about 45 min (much longer than i was expecting, ds1 slid right out). Austin was 9lb4 and 21.5in my biggest baby!!!

we had a lovely week after his birth. My mom stayed with us to help out..and she really was a huge help. But on his 7th day, Austin's stump fell, off and by that night there was redness around his belly button. We knew it was infected, but the ped we called was unconcerned. By morning, his whole abdomen was bright red with streaks of black and white running horizontally. We rushed to the ped's office, and then whisked away to the hospital. This was a serious bacterial infection that required two very strong antibiotics by I.V. He then needed surgery to remove all the dead/dying tissue that this bacteria was killing (yes, a flesh-eating bacteria!) This was a serious life-threatening infection, and things could have been so bad. However, he was otherwise healthy going in, and nursing like a champ, and his size must have helped too. The bacteria never reached any lower than the fatty tissue layer. Most of his fat is gone on his belly, and he has a huge scar across his lower abdomen (about the size and place a c-sec scar would be). he actually had 3 surgeries all together, and was on IV antibiotics for a week (in the hospital for week), and oral ones for 4 more days. I am happy to report that the entire staff we met were very encouraging about me nursing on demand, and as soon as he was able to after his surgeries, and getting me a pump and storing my milk when he wasn't able to nurse.
Austin is healthy and thriving (gained at least 3lbs so far!) and has no lasting affects from his ordeal (other than the scar)

and just in case you are wondering, the birth had nothing to do with the infection. His surgen and ped both agreed that this bacteria was contracted about 24 hours before we noticed any symptoms. It is believed to be strep, but they killed the bacteria before cultures were taken, and nothing grew on the dishes.

we are otherwise doing well, and I'm adjusting to being a mom of three beautiful (thankfully healthy) children!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness, what an ordeal! I'm relieved to hear that your little (or should I say big?) guy is doing well after all that. I love the name you chose. I hope the rest of his babyhood is uneventful!

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).

User Tag List