2 silly questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, WHY must they make baby clothes look like big kid clothing? This is a 3-6 month outfit and the style looks like something Shane should be wearing. Don't they grow up fast enough?

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010...653467202M.jpg

Second, do you think there is ANY hope he's going to have blue eyes like his mommy? Or are we doomed to have all brown-eyed children?
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010...653494761M.jpg

Close-up:
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010...653516557M.jpg

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#2 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Nicole, I think those eyes look blue! This coming from the mom of a destined to be brown eyed kid, I think.

Ok, and about the outfit - I so agree with you! My favorite outfit for Iago is a velour onesie. It's soft and snuggly and easy to pull on and off for changes - perfect outfit for a babe, IMHO. But, I'm gonna make you laugh! When Iago wakes up I'm gonna dress him in 'Spanish' baby clothes and post a picture. Some family members in Spain were super nice and sent us a huge suitcase of hand-me-downs which I am really thankful for. Some items though, I just get a kick out of! Think thick knit tights with baby blue pompoms. I don't even know how he is supposed to wear them.

My family = me + dh & ds +
#3 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM

crashing to add my 2 cents what a beautiful baby btw!! my ds eyes looked just like that for months and then they turned brown. My friends ds had blueish eyes at birth too but much brighter and they turned out to stay blue. I guess you never know.

BFPChart2.gif

#4 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh linchi that must be hysterical! Will look forward to the pics.

I just feel like they have their whole life to wear "big boy" clothes, what's the rush to get them in them? Particularly since IMO boy clothing is not nearly as cute as girl clothing, and baby clothing is just so snuggly. But most of our stuff is handmedowns, so I can't really complain too much...

My gut feeling tells me his eyes will eventually turn brown. Sigh. DH and his darn dominant genes!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 PM

I agree on the clothes. I also think they should make "baby" clothes up to at least 18 months, so many babies are in that size before they are even 12 months and then the boys have to look like little boys instead of the babies that they are.

The eyes look blue to me... DH and I both have blue eyes, so when my babies come out with blue eyes I just assume they will stay that way. I don't know what they would look like if they were going to switch to brown...

Mama to three

#6 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM

I was thinking exactly the same as I was sorting out my 3-6 months hand me downs. There was a lot of denim in there. Just doesn't seem comfy to me ... and don't get me started on "label" tees. Toby will not be wearing the 3-6 month one that says "Little monster". Says something very sad about the way we, as a society, value our little boys IMHO.

Oh - and those eyes are beautiful no matter what colour. But I think there's potential for blue there.

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
#7 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 AM

he's so cute! Not sure about the eyes. DH and I both have brown eyes and DS's are very grey right now, I'm sure they will turn brown soon. Your son's eyes are much lighter that my son's.

About the clothes... I love putting DS in his "night gown" each night and he wears lots of snuggly one pieces. BUT I'm totally guilty of buying him a big boy outfit - one of my friends sent me a gap giftcard and while I did love the soft onesies and sleepers I bought him some jeans, a plaid button down, a polo, and some khakis so he can dress like his dad a couple of times... I think they are kind of cute.
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM

His eyes look like DD1 and now DD2's. With my first, my MIL said she thought they'd be blue by 3 weeks or so and they are. She said DH's looked darker even from the beginning and he has brown eyes. What did your other kids' eyes look like at this stage? Brown is dominant, but I think both our girls will have blue.

I have to admit, camo on a baby makes me sad. Little girls get the "princess" junk and all the material girl-type crapola too.

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#9 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Jasmine's looked pretty similar to Caleb's until about 6 months, then they turned hazel and after she was one they turned brown. Athena's were brown by the time she was 9 months old or so. Shane's turned brown right away - but the time he was Caleb's age they were already dark.

I don't mind the camo so much - we had this fleecy hood and pants in camo that he wore home from the hospital - but it was that really soft baby fleece and soo snuggly. This shirt is more like a sweatshirt and then with the cords it is just so "old" looking for a baby.

#10 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Don't get me started on POCKETS for newborns. Really? Is it for their binkies?

But, I am totally at fault for completely avoiding any kind of "baby-ish" clothing and dressing the boys in more adult clothing. I just do't like the "I love trucks," or appliqued kind of clothes. I tend to gravitate toward strips, plaids, and kimono style stuff. In fact, I was just saying I wish all baby tops were kimono style and they had little cotton bootleg sweat pants. All the buttons, over the head onesies and contraptions in clothes drives me bananas.

I cannot say I have any guess on the eyes. They look steel blue. my first son has CRYSTAL clear blue eyes and I looked back when he was an infant, and they were that dark grey. And Felix now has that as well, but I just get a gut feeling they'll be brown. I tried to see if there was a time when the child's eye color is "set" but the internet wasn't much help.

BTW--he is one cute baby.

Ali: Proud mother to Miles 05.16.08 and boy #2Felix 01.04.2010.
#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM

I *hate* buttons on baby clothes! Gimme snaps, zippers, velcro, elastic, ANYTHING but those tiny rows of buttons!

All three of my newborns have had what seems to be that same shade of grey-blue eyes -- the older two have turned hazel, so expecting Juju's to turn hazel as well.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#12 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 PM

for the record ... our DS2 is 27 months and his eye color is quickly changing from clear blue to cloudy gray-green. it was shocking to us at first to realize he was losing his blues but gray is even cooler .

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#13 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, yes, the pockets. Even on the older boys' clothing too. I counted the other day- Shane had something like 9 pockets on one outfit. Now tell me what a 23 month old needs with one pocket, let alone 9?

I don't like buttons much either...but what annoys me the most is when they put them on the back of the baby outfits. Little button-down shirts are a pain, but doable. But it is a royal pain to flip baby over (especially if they don't like tummy time) and try to get a row of snaps or buttons fastened on their back...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page