Fussiness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a first-time mom, I'm hoping to tap the wisdom of all you experienced mamas...

Alex is generally not what I'd call a fussy baby, but ever since we started using the Moby about a week ago (he's a little over 4 weeks old now) it seems like he's more likely to fuss and cry when he's not in it. Generally he's happy and awake in the mornings, with some napping time in there. By late afternoon/evening, sometimes the over-stimulation of a whole day gets to him, and then the only things that will console him are being in the Moby wrapped right up next to me or nursing.

Nights are no problem; he sleeps long stretches and he is able to go to sleep on his own after nursing - he sleeps in a co-sleeper bassinet next to our bed, so I can see his eyes start to droop and then watch him drift off. But I still wonder: is it OK that he only seems to calm down during the day when he's strapped in next to me? He drifts off almost instantly whenever he's in the Moby...is that OK, or should I be encouraging more awake/alert play time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Yes, it's totally normal. The 4-5pm time period is known as the "witching hour" - it's just a normal time of day for infants to sort of be fussy and fed up with the world. I know mine is! It's SUPER unfortunate (IMHO) that it also coincides with the time that a) I'm also exhausted and b) trying to get dinner on the freaking table! But it doesn't last forever, and if he likes the Moby then you can get a little done with him there.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Yup, it's totally normal. I say keep him in the Moby if it keeps him happy, for some parents, even that doesn't work.

Mama to three

#4 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 PM

It's normal. And don't blame the Moby--you aren't spoiling him or anything, it's just that around the time you started using it, he also started to realize the difference between "things that make me happy" and "things that don't." Brand new newborns don't necessarily know the difference, but a 3-week-old can definitely tell the difference between being snuggled by mom and being put down, and he knows which one he wants! Just be glad you have the Moby.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
same thing here and I love the moby for that very reason! it is like a sedative and I get to snuggle with my baby with hands free, love it!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#6 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM

You're lucky you've found something so early that works so well for you! I don't know where I'd be without my mei tai. But, it's true, anywhere from 4-9 I'm pretty much nursing in between tasks- she will only tolerate the sling for small breaks at that time. Otherwise, I just settle in with her and relax. For dinners, I've been going with stir fries, stews, roasts, pretty much anything either quick or something that can take care of itself. Also, I wouldn't get that much done without LO in the carrier. Pretty much just put DD2 in front of a movie 3 days out of 5 while I cook .

Maggie, American expat, mother to DD1 5/27/2007 and DD2 2/15/2010
#7 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! That makes me feel a lot better. I am glad we've found something that works so well, and I agree, I love, love, love the snuggle time it gives us together
#8 of 12 Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM

In the Dr. Sears Baby Book he says that in his experience, babies that are in arms or worn during the day sleep better and longer stretches at night. Sounds like your baby is one of those. Mine is not...unfortunately

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#9 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Yup. This is Toby EXACTLY. Absolutely peaceful all day ... gets pretty colicky from about 5ish (just as daddy gets home. Daddy is trying not to take it personally!!!) and settles well in the night. We had friends visiting for supper yesterday and Toby was fussing so I popped him in the Ellaroo. The effect was instant - our friends christened the wrap, "the magic sling"! It works!

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
#10 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyforever View Post
Yup. This is Toby EXACTLY. Absolutely peaceful all day ... gets pretty colicky from about 5ish (just as daddy gets home. Daddy is trying not to take it personally!!!) and settles well in the night. We had friends visiting for supper yesterday and Toby was fussing so I popped him in the Ellaroo. The effect was instant - our friends christened the wrap, "the magic sling"! It works!
My poor hubby thinks Miranda hates him I'm really looking forward to the weekend when he can interact with her and wear her during the day when she's so happy and easy!

I made the mistake of signing up DD1 for a mom/tot gymnastics class on Wed evenings....it's only an hour long (around the corner from our house!) and I really wanted to have some 1 on 1 time with her since the baby is taking so much of my attention....but the poor baby screams for the last 1/2 and DH doesn't seem to be able to comfort her. We have to switch to a Sat am class.

The weird thing is that she will take a pacifier and it calms her down right away in between feedings during the evening....but only when I give it to her. When DH tried, she screams. I thought the whole point of the binky was so that other people could comfort her?!?!?

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#11 of 12 Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Alex won't take a pacifier at all...there's one he'll tolerate for a little while, but it doesn't calm him down at all. The others he just spits out instantly, and the whole experience seems to make him scream harder.

DH is trying to get the hang of the Ergo this weekend - he didn't like the Moby at all - so that he can wear Alex and keep him calm. It's working, I don't hear any screaming, but it takes DH a little while to get used to a new contraption, and he's scared he's doing it wrong and smushing the baby, so I'm dealing with fussiness on his end now
#12 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
It's normal. And don't blame the Moby--you aren't spoiling him or anything, it's just that around the time you started using it, he also started to realize the difference between "things that make me happy" and "things that don't." Brand new newborns don't necessarily know the difference, but a 3-week-old can definitely tell the difference between being snuggled by mom and being put down, and he knows which one he wants! Just be glad you have the Moby.
I agree. We're dealing with this, too and had a melt down with Will last night that led us to call the doctor. He was crying so hard that he wasn't breathing right - turning bright red. Sure enough, it was his major fussy time and being swaddle and his paci is what did the trick. Complete opposite of DS#1. New territory for us!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page