My sister... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is due at the end of April and yesterday got scheduled for a section on the 18th. She's apparently measuring 4 weeks ahead and because every health professional in town was talking about Elsa they are worried her baby will be huge too.

I feel so bad, like I fast-tracked her down the "big baby" path. She would rather the baby come on her own but doesn't want a labor like I had. So I scared her off natural labor as well.

I feel like I can't support or encourage her at all. I would tell her hold off but I don't feel like I have credence to. Everyone says you won't grow a baby too big to birth, but guess what? I did. So who am I to tell her that?

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 AM

I just wanted to give you some support. Hopefully she'll go into labor on her own before that. Don't blame yourself--your experience was unique and just that--your own. Hers will have to be her own as well.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM

So sorry honey.

Is there any chance she could try for an induction and then do the c/s if it doesn't work? Even having needed a c/s for a baby bigger than I could birth myself, I don't think I could do a c/s without at least trying to delivery vaginally first. I've just heard too many stories where they said baby was big and then when they got baby out s/he wasn't...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Can't they do an ultrasound to get a feel of the size of the baby? It seems like that is more invasive than a c-section. My sister in law had one with her pre-term baby and they were only off by 2 oz. on the size. That way she'd know what she's carrying interms of size and whether or not it makes sense to have a c-section.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

They did a scan and said she's 7 lb 13 oz at 35 weeks, so I doubt there's any changing their minds. They're going to keep checking her and if she's effaced or dilated they'll try the induction, but being as her "deadline" is at only 39 weeks, we all can guess how that's likely to go.

I just feel like they are fixating on her because of me. Like maybe they wouldn't be so gung ho if she wasn't related to "the lady with the 13 lb baby." Especially since she passed her GTT. But, I passed mine too, so what do I know?

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM

We'll just have to think good thoughts and pray she does it on her own.

User Tag List