Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
The weird thing is, I don't like any boys names!( I just mean in the moment as I am trying to choose a name for my son) Not in the context of actually using one oft hem. I do agree that once he is named that the name will take on his character etcetera. For example, I don't want to say dh's name on here but I love his name- but likely because it is him, of course.

But I don't even have a list of any that I like. The only name I kind of like the sound of is Cavan,
but I myself have lots of objections to the name such as : "Cave in" "Cave man" and also it's close sound to the aiden jayden type of names which I am not fond of. But when I call my baby Cavan for practice I don't feel great about it.

I tried James on for a day but that felt wrong.
I don't know, it really does seem like a big thing. We may have a longer extension though n which case my approach will be to not think about it for a few days and see what comes easily (if anything).

It seems like while there are thousands of pretty girl names, when I think of boy's names they are mostly simple and from a pool of only about 30 names or so.

what does Teo make you think of? Dh kind of likes it but says it sounds flimsy, like we should name him theodore or Teodoro and call him Teo if we do that.

Dh really likes Chauser- his first choice at the moment, but I think the last name sounding er names are not a good fit for me! Since I have not much going on today I am going to do some good thinking about this! Have to try to make some progress on this!
I think you have let other's opinions muddle your decision. I did that too... Plus, baby boys never seem to look like their names to me either. Otherwise every baby would be called baby/love/pumpkin etc I am STILL getting used to my dds name. Everyone has opinions, dhs mom said our name sounds like a medicine. haha. What is your DHs name??? Could you combine yours and his names like choosing a K name or whatever letter his name starts with?

Teo--sounds latin to me. Are you Spanish? If you like it, I say name him Teo, not something else and then only call him that.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#63 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I
#64 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I found a cool list of top 1000
(yes 1000!) baby boy names online.
Jotted down a few I liked

Zion, Antonio, Joaquin, Cruz, Nigel

I think those all sound pretty and somewhat exotic.
I like Zion and Joaquin a lot! Nigel is hit or miss depending on the baby. I think your baby kinda looks like a Nigel though

I put you names in the nymbler--- do you like Simon, Oren, Connor or Joel?

#65 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love Nigel! .... Do you know that song from decades ago "We're only making plans for Nigel, we only want whats best for him..." by xtc

Glad you found a list so you can go beyond the ones you have been thinking about. AFter reading that list, if one of your originals keeps resurfacing in your head, then maybe that is the one.

Teo is cool. It looks like the male version of Tea.

Here are some boy names - from my sons soccer team/ 2nd grade. I cannot tell if any of the names suit your son, but names that may be of interest to you.
Barkley
Gus
Anatol
Lucian
Odin / Odie
Wiley
Eamonn
Gavin - that has been on your list
Chaz (short for charles)
Kiran
Elias

Moses

We didn't name our baby until day 21 and I felt all the things you are saying ... pressure and not being able to just be with baby to see what works., etc. Eventually I felt I had to pick one and be done with it. I like the name we chose but I don't feel that it is her yet! What I learned (for me) was that seeing her did not help at all and that picking a name before hand may be the way to go as it seems to be more about how I feel about the name then what babe looks like!

ps I found picking a girl name as hard as finding a boy name!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#66 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post

ps I found picking a girl name as hard as finding a boy name!
Eventually I just let DH decide bc he kept vetoing all my names. LOL. I can blame him haha

#67 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm not a fan of Teo - mostly because my BIL is Theo (short for Theodore) so it looks like that misspelled to me. Plus I'm confused on how to pronounce it - Theo? Tee-oh? Tay-oh?

I like Antonio and Nigel off the new list.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#68 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM

I also think Nigel is a cool name. Off the soccer team list, I like Lucian a lot. Of course Moses is my favorite but, I named my son Jethro and that goes without saying.

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#69 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 03:11 PM

I love all of the new names plus all of the soccer names! Almost makes me wish we'd had a boy.

Julianna is 15 weeks old now, and I am STILL in the process of getting used to her name...

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#70 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Eventually I just let DH decide bc he kept vetoing all my names. LOL. I can blame him haha
Ditto. I sort of let partner and son's #1 choice be the name as I just could NOT decide!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#71 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

l
#72 of 118 Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Teodore Cavan
calling him teo.
Pronounced Tay-oh
I really like that! It's unique but not weird and it has a great meaning!

I also love, love, love Joaquin. Too bad DH has strongly vetoed that for any future children.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#73 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Banned

i really like Jasper, Dashiel, Crispin, and Blaise. Nicknames of Jazz, Dash, Cris and blaise (sounds like Blaze). i like 'old fashioned' names that have modern edges to them.

before Hawk named himself, these were on my short list.
#74 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 AM

i like theodore--you can go with Teo or Theo for short. Cavan, I'm honestly not too much of a fan of, for the reasons you posted. When I looked at the pic Caleb came to me--it sounds somewhat similar in the first syllable, number of letters, rhythm, etc., but without the craven/caveman associations! It means "whole hearted" or "faithful".

I also thought that if you like James Taylor--you could skip the James part and use the name Taylor! Also--if you have any Celtic leanings, Seamus (pronounced shay-mus) is actually gaelic for James and I think it's a really cool name.

I don't want to confuse you more when you are narrowing down--but I was going to post yesterday but didn't get time. There's my 2cents worth anyway!

Naming is hard! We had a girl name we liked and agreed on relatively early, and that was our tentative contender--but had a hard time coming up with the boy names so we spent the 2nd half of the pregnancy focusing and working on boy names. then we got a boy name we loved and were pretty set on, so of course ended up having a girl, lol! I really thought this one was a boy, so of course then we stopped really considering girl names, and then we had to go back and review the list and think about it all for a couple of days. In the end the one we picked first in the pregnancy seemed to fit her. I always envision how the name will look/sound in different contexts of what you want for your child--being used by teachers or friends, walking across the stage at graduations, printed on a resume, on the cover of a book they have written, on a wedding invitation or in the "do you Person X take Person Y" part of the wedding. Then also the not so great but practical context of how it sounds when you have to yell at your kid in the grocery store and need to break out the using-the-full-name-so-they-know-you're-really-serious parenting card--as in "Jacob Ryan Smith, you get back here RIGHT NOW!" haha!

BTW I don't think I posted, but congratulations on the safe arrival of your little guy!! I was so relieved to see that you were both okay--I was on multiple-daily stalking mode for a while there when we hadn't heard from you!
#75 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompy View Post
i like theodore--you can go with Teo or Theo for short. Cavan, I'm honestly not too much of a fan of, for the reasons you posted. When I looked at the pic Caleb came to me--it sounds somewhat similar in the first syllable, number of letters, rhythm, etc., but without the craven/caveman associations! It means "whole hearted" or "faithful".
I agree with this-- I think if you want to do Teo as the first name, give him a more solid middle name. I ran the name Cavan by my husband (bc I AM ALWAYS running names past him, not because I was discussing your post ) and he looked at me like I was nutty. I think the sound is find by me but the look of the name I just can't get behind. I like Caleb though. I personally like Theodore James- nickname Teo. Cavan seems like you randomly picked it but James comes from James Taylor and I always think that middle names should be meaningful... well names in general should be meaningful but I think middle names should be after something close to you. I named my DD after my beloved Grandma and am SO happy I did so. oh and PS, I LOVE Joaquin. I think Joaquin and James are the best boys name. LOL. Totally different, but I love them both.

#76 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I liked Cavan when I thought it rhymed with Gavin. I don't like Cay-van (long A). James is a wonderful name, IMO. Classic and strong but not overused. I also love Teo. Different without being odd. Plus it just seems like a nice/cute guy name. I can't imagine a Teo being unattractive or mean. :LOL

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#77 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

l
#78 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM

I'll put a vote in for Caleb, LOL!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#79 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I agree with this-- I think if you want to do Teo as the first name, give him a more solid middle name. I ran the name Cavan by my husband (bc I AM ALWAYS running names past him, not because I was discussing your post ) and he looked at me like I was nutty. I think the sound is find by me but the look of the name I just can't get behind. I like Caleb though. I personally like Theodore James- nickname Teo. Cavan seems like you randomly picked it but James comes from James Taylor and I always think that middle names should be meaningful... well names in general should be meaningful but I think middle names should be after something close to you. I named my DD after my beloved Grandma and am SO happy I did so. oh and PS, I LOVE Joaquin. I think Joaquin and James are the best boys name. LOL. Totally different, but I love them both.
Saw this on new posts and I love Theodore James. Theo would have been on my boy list if OH didn't have a stupid surname that it didn't work with.

However I'm not keen on the Teodore spelling. Is that a legit version?
#80 of 118 Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Still no name? My first choice for a boy was Leo, but we had a girl. I also love the name Silas. Good luck mama!

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#81 of 118 Old 04-04-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

g
#82 of 118 Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

edited
#83 of 118 Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM

At this point, having tried on so many names, I'm guessing that whatever you pick is going to "feel wrong" for a little while. The thing is, a week or so in, the name will be your son's name. It just happens that way. Once you start using it, saying it, interacting with it, it will all be okay. Pick the name you love best, the meaning you love best, and give it as a gift to your child. It WILL fit. It just takes time...especially after trying on so many names!

We have a little Valentino down the street. His father is Indian, his mother is Euro-American of some sort. Yes, at first it seemed like a bit much, but now it's just his name. Totally adorable.

ETA: another nickname for Valentino is "Tino."

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#84 of 118 Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
What if you looked at it a different way? Instead of trying to choose a name that fits baby now, how about one that fits the person you want him to grow into?
I totally agree with this.

Whether you draw the meaning of the name from the literal meaning, or from a person, I think it's a powerful thing to make a name a wish for your child...to make it a wish for the person you hope he'll be.

We chose "N***" (peace) for our ds' name and "Atticus" (the character in To Kill a Mockingbird) as his middle name. To us, Atticus means everything we hope he will be--honest, strong, peaceful, open-minded, full of integrity, and a gentle father.

As he grows up, he'll understand his name more, and what our wishes mean for him, and add his own meaning to his name.

For our daughter, we chose a name that described a beautiful natural scene. her first name means "shining sun" and her middle names mean "beautiful river of grace" (the middle names are Korean). We wanted to honor her Korean names (she's adopted) and add in another first name that complimented it. We imagine that her name is a wish to live in and appreciate a world of beauty...to respect and love and rejoice in the Earth.

None of these names were "perfect" for them when we met them...babies are so simple, so sweetly perfect, that no name is going to fit immediately. But their meanings were perfect for us, and perfect for our dreams for them, and so they felt right.

Best of luck to you! Choose the name your heart loves, and it will all click.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#85 of 118 Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
None of these names were "perfect" for them when we met them...babies are so simple, so sweetly perfect, that no name is going to fit immediately. But their meanings were perfect for us, and perfect for our dreams for them, and so they felt right.
I totally agree with this.

I think there comes a time when you have too many choices and nothing seems right. Go with your gut--- maybe each of you writes their top three choices and then see where the lists cross and go from there Then the pressure is off you and DH assumes some responsibility as well.

#86 of 118 Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 AM

I don't have time just now so didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to say that another suggestion I've seen is to write your top 3-5 down (first and last or first middle last) one on each line and put it somewhere you will see it a lot (fridge door, bathroom mirror, etc). See which ones you still like after a few days. Try calling him by them one at a time. I answered your thread in the March ddc but seeing your two in the op, you could consider Malachi with nickname Kai. I love both names, but dh vetoed it.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#87 of 118 Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous. My husband and I are finally at the point where we are like- okay, bite the bullet here- we want our baby to have a name already! and yet we are having the slowest time deciding! I don't need any more suggestions as we have lists and lists. It is more just us making a decision. He likes most things- has agreed to many. He is not that picky, but he doesn't have any that he wants more than others particularly. It is more that I say- how about this and he says, sure! And I am like, nah. So I just have to choose one. I am not trying to make this harder than it needs to be, it is just this way I am with decisions. but at this point I really want to stop calling the baby just little lovey names and give him a proper name! Soon!
Today we were discussing those beautiful romantic Italian type names (and also some spanish ones) like
Valentino ( I love the sound of that!) and Santiago, Jovani, Salvatore, Santino,
I find those names so powerful! But Our family has no Italian in it at all and I also think those names carry a lot of leaning in them and may not be suitable for my boy. sigh!
I mean- we could call him Valentino but then he would be Val which I don't like the sound of. But we got this list of 1000 baby names in rank of popularity and noticed that we liked the less common ones much more.

Oooh, SANTIAGO! Then we could have two Iagos in this DDC . Never in a million years thought that would happen!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#88 of 118 Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

i like santiago too.

i don't think one has to be a given heritage to use a name, or for the name to work. it's just about choosing what you like, what you feel fits.
#89 of 118 Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

l
#90 of 118 Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Leaning towards naming him Theodore and calling him Teo.
Considering middle names.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page