Am I being too hard on myself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's everyone doing with their weight loss? I haven't weighed myself since I had Will and am sort of afraid to - waiting to do so at my 6 week check up next Wednesday. I just tried on my first pair of regular pants today and it looks as though I'm currently wearing a size larger than what I wore pre-preg...
We are walking 3 to 4 days a week, 3 miles at a time and I'm looking to be in my pre-preg size (size 8 and would like to be somewhere in the 140's) by May 1st. We started 3 weeks PP. I feel great, a little tired of course, but would like to see a little more come off quicker. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those that can really deal with what's happened to my body to a great extent - I mean, I know that changes have been made and some will be permanent - like scaring and some stretched skin, but I feel like the other things are in my control.... I guess I don't remember too much about my PP experience with my first pregnancy... I did get back in to my pre-preg size by 3 months (went back to work) and then 2 months later, went down an additional size. This time, I started working out earlier than I did the first time, so maybe that'll help?

Anyone else struggling with this or really care about this at all? I wish I didn't so much. We eat healthy constantly - my DH is a health nut to some extent - he enjoys working out, bike riding, etc., and he's noticed that I've been getting frustrated, too. I'm also working out with a kettlebell for squats and an exercise ball. My work folks are health conscious, too and I guess a part of me just wants to fit right in - back in - to where I was - when I return to work June 1st. And feel good about myself. Also, I'm tired - SOOOOO tired of wearing yoga pants, capris sweats, that I just want to be able to wear something that buttons and zips.

Soooo... am I being too hard on myself or completel normal?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 PM

I think you are being a little too hard on yourself, it does get harder each time to lose the weight, or so I've been told. Plus, your hips might stay wide, without your control, which would make your pants size stay higher than you'd like. Your boobs will probably be a different size, beyond your control. I'd say keep up what you are doing and the results will happen as soon as humanly possible - you are doing a lot!

And I totally hear you on the buttoning and zipping, I am borrowing a pair of pants from my sister right now, just so I have some normal pants. They are baggy in the legs, but at least they fit around my hips! I am usually a size 8 and in the 140s also and these patns are a size 15/16!!! Oh well I guess.

Mama to three

#3 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Im just popping in from the Dec board, but I wanted to tell you that I obsessed over my weight after my last pregnancy as well. I started at 138 and lost 20lbs while I was pregnant... then gained it back plus 5 in tri3 (after 6 months of non-stop throwing up)... so, post partum I guess I was around 145 or 150. But getting back to "normal" well, I have a new normal now. I got the weight back down, Im just softer in general. Now, that being said, I did zero exercising! So, with your activity level I really think you will be fine! By June, you will be looking awesome! In fact, you probably look great now, but because you still cant wear pre-baby stuff you're feeling a little down. I still cant wear the pre-baby stuff (unless I forgot to eat dinner the night before and dont mind torture all day long). But the weight isnt there. Im just shaped a little different and need a bigger size. Just remember, no one but you knows the pants you wearing arent really pre-pregnancy! Oh and it took my uterus at least a month to get all the way back down! So, dont judge yourself on that! Your organs are still finding their rightful home in your body!!!

s

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#4 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM

You can get into your prepregnancy pants? You are doing better than I am! I'm in week 2 of a "biggest loser" competition with some friends - tomorrow's the second weigh in. I was about 235 when I delivered and was about 210 at my 6 week checkup. I was 208 when the competition started and 203 last week...and Caleb will be 10 weeks tomorrow. So only about 10-15 pounds away from my pregnancy starting weight this last time, but the couple of pairs of pants I can pull up I can't button. My stomach is a mess - besides the c/s scar and extra fat I also have flappy skin from the boys stretching everything out so much - I doubt that is ever going to go away entirely.

It is hard for me to lose weight while BFing without affecting my supply, so not sure how successful I'll be at this competition. I'm essentially just calorie counting and trying to exercise more.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#5 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM

I actually lost all the weight right away- but I only went up about 12 lbs from prepreg weight (I had about 10 lbs of some TTC weight I was dealing with haha) within a couple weeks but with the breastfeeding I am slowly gaining it all back. LOL. My appetite is CRAZY now. haha.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#6 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Give yourself a break! You have some time before going back to work / your goal date. Your body is adjusting!

I gained about 45 and have lost about 25. I was bedridden for a few days with mastitis and lost a few pounds but some how gained those back. I have started situps, stretches and an extra 1/2 hour walk (beyond my other walks - dog walking, kids, etc).

I have two pair of pregnancy pants I can wear and one pair of sweat shorts. I refuse to buy a pair of pants for the interim, but I am getting tired of my choices! I pulled on my regular (bigger) jeans and can get them up but cannot do them up. My hips have expanded. I had also, mysteriously, gained 20 pounds over the past two years of ttc (maybe hormones / miscarriages / stress / age???) So once I lose my pregnancy weight I then have those 20 pounds to shed. And then I hope to fit into my regular clothes and do a closet overhaul!!! I do not really have a time frame, but hopefully in the next month I can fit into my other clothes!

I recall with my first son, that I was close to my normal weight around 9 months pp and lost the rest after we stopped breastfeeding.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#7 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM

I hear you on the frustration and yes, you probably are being too hard on yourself - I know I'm being too hard on myself! I don't understand how anyone is finding the time to exercise with more than one child! August is SUPER needy, I can barely get a half hour of baby free time a day, and I usually get that in the early morning so that I can sleep (which I desperately need, so I'm not really willing to trade that time in for exercise...) My DS1 doesn't walk fast enough for me to get my heart rate up if I took him, and even if he rides his bike, he's always stopping to look at leaves/bugs/etc. Are you guys really trading in sleep for exercise or do you just have much more flexible babies than I do?

I'm about 15 lbs away from prepregnancy weight - I gained a good 45-50 lbs, so I'm happy that so much has come off without too much effort. However, I suspect that the last 15 lbs will be the hardest to shed. We have Wii fit, but I just don't know how to fit anything in right now. Blargh.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#8 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Keeta - I will admit that I've been fortunate enough to have a baby who lets me put her down! It's amazing, she is way easier than DS was...and I thought he was easy! Even with that though, I still don't work out as much as I should. My older child is just about to turn 2, so walks with him definitely don't get the heart rate up and he is anti-stroller at the moment (not that I'd be able to walk super fast with a baby strapped on anyway).

Mama to three

#9 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Okay, I'm having a hard time with this. This is my third, and with the first 2 I lost all the weight really fast, without trying. This time, I haven't lost a pound since the day after i had him!! I gained 40 lbs (same each time) and had lost 20 by the second day pp.....I'm stuck there. I'm really trying hard not to let it bother me - and it probably wouldn't so much if I had some things to wear - but geez! I am walking a lot, carrying my babe, dog on leash, helping kids with scooters/bikes/wheels of all sorts....trying to eat good but the numbers aren't budging. I keep telling myself that I just need to stop weighing myself but for some reason I keep getting on the scale...okay, poopy diaper, got to go

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#10 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I actually lost all the weight right away- but I only went up about 12 lbs from prepreg weight (I had about 10 lbs of some TTC weight I was dealing with haha) within a couple weeks but with the breastfeeding I am slowly gaining it all back. LOL. My appetite is CRAZY now. haha.
That is pretty much what happened to me the first time. This time I haven't lost it all yet, but I did lose quickly in the beginning and now it seems to have just stopped. Ick.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#11 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM

I guess I should consider myself lucky. My babe is very flexible and basically sleeps through the night--wakes a couple times, but is in bed, so all I have to do is doze.. So I have been able to wake up before my two kiddos wake up to do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I highly highly recommend it. It's 20 minutes, that's it. It's just an intense 20 minutes!! It's a combination of weight training and cardio which definitely gets the job done. And there are 3 levels, so you can start at level 1 and stay there as long as you need to. I lost about 20 pounds pp, but since doing the 30 day shred, integrating green smoothies into my day, and just generally eating a lot healthier, I've lost another 10-15. It works!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#12 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM

I've lost about half of my 50 pregnancy pounds, and want to get rid of another 10 on top of all that. I fit back into my prepregnancy jeans on Friday - of course, they were my big baggy ones that I wore halfway through the pregnancy, and it was a squeeze, but I'm happy anyway.

I'd try not to push too hard, personally. I wouldn't want to jeopardize my milk supply, and I think my starting exercise too early a few weeks ago contributed to my getting sick. I'm going to start back up again now that I'm six weeks postpartum, but gently.

I don't trade sleep for exercise (No way!) but I do trade chore time. My health is more important than the dishes getting washed. Keeta, it might look a little silly, but could you walk fast back and forth, or in circles, while your DS looks at bugs on your walk? Jumping jacks or jogging in place maybe?
#13 of 15 Old 04-13-2010, 12:54 AM

DDCC - I am having a horrible time with weight loss. It is really bad, and then I feel guilty for worrying about it, when I have so much else to be grateful for. But, I just can't seem to get past it. I gained 40 pounds, lost 20 right after I delivered, and have stayed at the same weight since. I started walking 2.5 miles/day/3xweek. Well, that didn't do much, so the first week in April I started going the the gym, too. I have lost 3 pounds. It is so depressing to not fit in any of my clothes. The weather here is so nice right now, but I feel bad every time I leave the house. I was a size 4/6 prepregnancy, now I can barely fit into a 10.
So, I totally know how you feel. Good Luck!
#14 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm going to see my OB shortly for my 6wk PP check up and I'll see how much I've lost thus far. Last night, I tried on a couple of pairs of my pre-preg size 8 capris and I can get them past my hips but are still a little snug in the bum. But that gives me a little hope and I can see that the things are working - the walking and eating right is working along with BF'ing a hungry little man!!
I definitely wasn't this far along with DS#1 and am starting to feel good about myself.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#15 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was 105 pre-pregnancy and 135 at delivery. When I got home from the hospital I was 119 and retaining water. I dropped to 112 at 7 days pp, and I'd stayed around 108 - 110 since. I started out a 32AA and I'm a 32B now, so I guess that is a bit of the extra.

I can wear half of my pre-preg jeans - the stretchy half :P I don't care about the numbers on the scale, but I do hate how squishy and weak my muscles are. Not to mention the bit of extra skin and butt I still have. I've just restarted yoga again after my pp appt (at 7 weeks) Hopefully that will help... We are going to the beach in 8 days!

Stephanie MC 11/22/06 Jackson born 02/05/10 MC 07/14/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page