Weekly chat thread April second week - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's amazing to me that food is not at all a concern to some people. My dd1 is well trained enough now to refuse pop but oh my the crap my family likes to fill them up with. My youngest BIL is 2 mos younger than my dd1 (almost 3) and my MIL gives him 1 liter bottles of pepsi to walk around with. UGH!! I finally got dh to agree to cutting sugar out for her because bedtime was taking hours. She'd be exhausted but wired at the same time. He is horrible about buying her candy everytime he leaves the house.

Surgery this morning. It went smoothly but the oncologist said he's never seen anything like it and has no idea what it is. He's pretty renowned and has been around quite a while so ack!!! It's going to take some distraction to get me through to next week, I'm dying to know what it is!

Here's more on that rotavirus recall: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/22...ef=igoogle_cnn I read some other interested articles about it on mercola.com as well.

I'm really suprised the last couple weeks giving medical history repeatedly, no one at our childrens hospital has really batted an eye over "We don't vaccinate." It's kind of nice.

I love guessing at how this baby will look when she's older. She has 2 older sisters one looks SO much like dh (olive skin, dark hair & eyes) and one looks like him with my coloring (blonde, blue eyes, pale skin). Chevelle has his olive skin but blue eyes and I'm not sure what her hair is going to do... my dd1 was starting to turn blonde by now. She looks like herself... a mix of both older sisters.

Nicknames are a big deal to us and we have about 100 for dd1, really not kidding. (his dd1 doesn't live with us) Everything seems to have been used at one time or another for dd1 and we don't want a hand-me-down nickname. My moms been calling her her little cherub. I think dh nailed it last night though - willow.

ok. naptime.

Proud Army wife to my best friend, mama to River (5/07) and Willow (2/10)
......... i love my life! ..........
#62 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM

Hi ladies, I've been MIA for a few weeks because we've just been so busy here. In a nice way though - I'm finding this sooooo lovely and easy (which i suppose is not what I expected). So consequently, I'm out and about every day with both DDs. Recently the weather turned here, so we've been doing lots and lots of picnics in various parks around here. And DD1 has just got super confident on her bike which means it's good exercise for me to push the pram behind her because she's fast enough to make me run!

So I think I got PPAF today! I'm surprised because I thought with exclusive BFing I wouldn't be seeing her for a while! Just spotting so far but think it'll be full-on tomorrow. Anybody else?

How's everyone doing on the sleep front? Saffie is still feeding very regularly - every 2 hours through the day and night, but usually one 3.5hr sleep from 10pm. I'm dealing with it OK- but would certainly welcome a lessening in the night feeds. Do BFed babes ever sleep long stretches?????

My back is killing me from carrying her all the time. I have latent problems from a car crash several years ago but this is unbearable. I eventually stumped up for a massage yesterday because I just couldn't cope anymore. Half way through the therapist says ' ooooh i really haven't seen a back like this for ages, this really must have you in agony' so I was thinking - well, yeah, i did say I was in pain, then she continues.... 'well actually breastfeeding is a contradindication for massage but I don't normally mention it because it doesn't do any harm, but i'm having to work quite hard on you here, so I will be releasing lots of toxins, so you really shouldn't feed her for the rest of today, just get some of those formula cartons, OK?'..... WTF????!!!!!! Bit late to tell me!!! I had no idea! So I came home and googled it and only found one site, which said it wasn't dangerous. I didn't know what to do and babe was hungry, so.... I just fed her. She seemed OK, but I couldn't done with either not knowing, or at least having the knowlege up front!

I do find it upsetting when people just assume it's perfectly OK to just give formula. She really didn't think there was anything wrong with that suggestion at all

Anyway, we're taking babe on her first holiday on monday and I can't wait! 5 days of family loveliness in the english countryside

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#63 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
loulie sounds like you are having a great time of it, sorry about the back issues though.
My back is killing me too. Teo has turned into a huge fusser and cryer lately and I am having a rough time with it. He is happy in the sling but my body feels so weak and sore and shot right now that the sling tires my back way out to lots of pain. He cries so much this whole thing is feeling really hard to do. He is so different than the first month. I wonder if it is somehting I am eating? I don't know what to do but I am home alone with him a lot. Ideally I would take long walks and car rides and visit people but I still feel so weak. not so great over here right now.
#64 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Loulie, to answer your questions:

1) No PPAF here, but I'm still spotting several days each week. My OB said that sometimes happens after a c/s, and it should gradually go away for me. I expect my first PPAF sometimes in the next month given my history.

2) Don't hate me, but Caleb is regularly sleeping 6+ hours at night now. He goes to bed around 9 and will sleep until at least 3 AM. We've even had a few 10 PM- 6AM nights. He's exclusively BF'd on demand, we've only done a bottle of expressed milk one night when he just wouldn't settle, and even then he only took about 2 oz. He generally eats about every 2 hours during the day.

3) Never heard the massage thing. I wonder if it is similar to BFing immediately after working out, where the extra lactic acid can make baby a little fussy? I'm assuming if it was a huge deal we'd have warnings all over the place not to get massages while BFing, and this is the first I've heard of it...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#65 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Katie, weeks 5-8 were hard for us too. Ze cried a lot and didn't sleep very well anywhere but in the wrap. I was very discouraged about the whole parenting thing at that point too. It just didn't seem like anything I tried was working and I was so, so tired it was hard to be very patient. I talked to a lot of my mom friends and they all seemed to agree that those weeks were very difficult. I have heard that it is the point where they are moving from being newborns to being babies, becoming more aware of things in the world and it can be very overwhelming for them.

It helped me most to just let myself be in survival mode: do whatever I could to get sleep, not try to do too much around the house, do anything I could to feel good about myself and the day. For me, this meant getting out and being around people as much as possible. That and DH made me a latte every day. Everyone gets recharged in different ways.

Now the babe seems to feel much more comfortable in his own skin. It helps when they start smiling and cooing too. He's sleeping 4-7 hours the first stretch of the night and that is just SO amazing! I feel like I never enjoyed sleep as much as I do now.

Today I took him to the after school program where I used to work. There were lots and lots of kids in his face (I tried to keep the hands off) and lots and lots of noise. He just chilled in the moby and fell asleep at the end (cat-napped all day, never really got a good nap in). I'm just wondering if such a stimulating environment could have a negative effect on him. He seemed to go to sleep tonight as well as he usually does and we'll see how well he sleeps. I don't know if there's any other problems this could cause but I would like him to get used to going there because I plan on continuing to volunteer and I think that example and being around kids needier than him would be a good influence on him in the long run.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#66 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 AM

I just ordered an Ergo Baby Sport carrier... so now I have a moby wrap, a gifted baby bjorn, a hiking backpack carrier and an Ergo. LOL. My husband is going to be like WTF?! hahaha. I have to say though that our friends ordered us a BJORN off of Amazon so we got a 55 dollar credit which I used towards our Ergo. I hope I like the Ergo Sport, it was a toss up bw that and the regular Ergo but I decided the main difference is the breathability which I like a LOT. Plus my hubby would only wear black anyways. I love my Moby but I can't see this baby loving it forever. I wore it for 6 hours in prague last weekend and OMG my upper back!

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#67 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
someone brought me over a baby bjorn yesterday and Teo seems to like it- as long as I am moving. sigh. there is a new mom's support group thst is happening today and I want to go (moms and babes) but I don't know if that will happen.
I am also thinking of getting someone over here to help with the baby a few hrs a week.Dh is gone 11 hour days and when we are together we are like- I miss you.W ehaven't dtd in forever and we used to like every day.
I definately have some mild ppd. oh well. onward. I know it will all work out and get better and justsimplicity I think you are right- survival mode.
Yesterday my friend came over w- her 2 yr old which was fun but she didn't hold the baby or hlep with physical stuff at all but the company was nice. then Teo's Aunt and great aunt or whatever (dh's half sister and her mom) came over and held Teo and helped me rest some which was nice. Today I am going to try to get him to nap more and maybe I will nap too. sigh.
#68 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Naps...I miss those...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#69 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the tip, lilmamabrown; will look into it. Hope your little one is doing well!!

Katie -- Could it be silent reflux? Bc it's super common and would make him prefer being upright.

Slings -- Still loving my mei tai. I use it every single day and never leave home w/o it!

Tonight the moms of my toddler's class are getting together for dinner. Nervous bc my Portuguese is terrible. Also bc they all have much nicer clothes than I do (my MIL pays our toddler's tuition)! But will be my first night leaving baby at home (and she is 4 mos old)!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#70 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=Katie34;15330352] there is a new mom's support group thst is happening today and I want to go (moms and babes) but I don't know if that will happen.
QUOTE]

GO GO GO!!! When I had my first, the mama group I met with helped me survive the first couple of years - and here we are, 6 yrs later, still great friends (and get together whenever possible). It was akward and hard to make myself go to at first, but I am soooo glad I did. Can't beat commiserating with people going through the same thing!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#71 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=mtnmoonmama;15331325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
there is a new mom's support group thst is happening today and I want to go (moms and babes) but I don't know if that will happen.
QUOTE]

GO GO GO!!! When I had my first, the mama group I met with helped me survive the first couple of years - and here we are, 6 yrs later, still great friends (and get together whenever possible). It was akward and hard to make myself go to at first, but I am soooo glad I did. Can't beat commiserating with people going through the same thing!
I agree! It's so nice to look into other mom's eyes and know they are feeling the exact way you do.

Loulie: My DS was up every 2 hours to nurse over night for months and months and months...and months... and I thought breastfed babies just didn't STTN. Then DD was born and wow is she different. She is BF on demand and she just doesn't demand it very often. We've had quite a few 6-8 hour stretches, which I didn't get with DS until he was at least 9 months old.

Mama to three

#72 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
TOTALLY!!!! I am going on 4 years with my mom's group from DD1....we still do a mom's night out once a month (I'm going tonight actually , play dates about once a week, trips to the zoo, etc. Those women were a total life saver when DD was a baby and I think they will be life long friends!! The best thing I ever did was join that BF support group....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post

Slings -- Still loving my mei tai. I use it every single day and never leave home w/o it!

Tonight the moms of my toddler's class are getting together for dinner. Nervous bc my Portuguese is terrible. Also bc they all have much nicer clothes than I do (my MIL pays our toddler's tuition)! But will be my first night leaving baby at home (and she is 4 mos old)!!

I LOVE my mei tai, too!!!! I never, ever go anywhere without it!!!

And you should go to your get together, too!!!

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#73 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 PM

I really want an Ergo. The Moby id great, but I'd like something I can pop her in and out of.

I'm glad to hear other babies sleep long stretches at night, too. Elsa goes down between 9 and 10, then wakes up between 4 and 7, then goes down until 8 or 9. She eats really well when we gwt up in the morning but it was starting to worry me.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#74 of 86 Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM

nak
Hi mamas! I've been lurking mostly, and very busy. Aengus is 2 months old now and we're all settling into the routine he's decided on. Weird thing is, I think he gets bored during the day. If I stay home all afternoon, he stays fussy, but if we go out even for an hour he is happy and cooing. It's not a naptime thing either, so I don't know. He does love "outside" when sunny and breezy especially, so maybe that's it.

slings-we have a moby and a ring sling. DH uses the moby, but it's too hot for me with all that material. I the ring sling and so does Aengus. I want a mei tai now too. We also have a water sling that I bought in anticipation of our upcoming vacation that we use for showers now. That is awesome. The boy is in LOVE with water.

sleeping-he naps of the evening in little bits until DH gets home at 11:30. Then we all go to sleep an he usually sleeps from midnight until 4-6am and then until 8 or so. Really, if I feel like being lazy and stay in the bed with him, he'll go back to sleep in 1-2 hour stretches until noon. During the day, he's not a fan of naps-too busy playing and looking around (and eating! champion BFer over here) unless I lay down with him. I've decided he's too worried he'll miss something interesting

Anyone's LO starting to roll over yet? Aengus is determined to get it. He's mastered from belly or back to side and can make it from belly to back most of the time. He is getting pretty good at "push-ups" as well.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#75 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Aramat, hope it was fun!

Ambystoma, the picture of your DS in the sling on the other thread is adorable--he looks like he's a year old! I remember that my DD was like you described regarding leaving the house. I haven't noticed it in this one, but we've just got more going on now that there is an older DC.

Re: rolling. My DS did it once a few days ago although I think it was a total accident! He was diaper-free and airing out and kicking around and then all at once...on his stomach. But now I feel like I can't set him down safely anymore. My DD was early with all her milestones, and rolled on purpose at six weeks. Oy, what a handful.

I'm unfortunately sick today. Was up all night with a fever and tummy ache, and now one of my breasts hurts. Wouldn't expect mastitis to upset my stomach, I don't know what's going on. Ugh. DD's first ballet recital is this evening and I can't miss it!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#76 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Aramat, hope it was fun!

Ambystoma, the picture of your DS in the sling on the other thread is adorable--he looks like he's a year old! I remember that my DD was like you described regarding leaving the house. I haven't noticed it in this one, but we've just got more going on now that there is an older DC.
I thought this too ! Adorable picture and he looks a year!

My Lucy sleeps a nice stretch from 10pm to 3am, but she then may nurse every 1 - 2 hours until morning.

rolling: L. rolled yesterday! She was airing out and on her back and then she was on her side. She loves airing out, smiling and giggling.

slings: Besides the fabric (canvas versus soft fabric), the ergo and mei tai look similar in shape / style. Is this the case? Does anyone have both an ergo and mei tai and can tell me what the other differences are!
I have a front carrier (McLaren) and was considering an ergo - one that can be worn on the back as well. But since I already have a back carrier and a front carrier, I was debating about spending that much money on an ergo....

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#77 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM

i have both! my little guy cannot spread his legs far enough for the ergo yet. he can for the mei tai.. ergo: more support, weight on your hips. very easy on and off. very srtuctured. mei tai: more head/body support for baby. i love them both. i also have a moby and all three have a purpose and time. hope that helps a little!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#78 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
i have both! my little guy cannot spread his legs far enough for the ergo yet. he can for the mei tai.. ergo: more support, weight on your hips. very easy on and off. very srtuctured. mei tai: more head/body support for baby. i love them both. i also have a moby and all three have a purpose and time. hope that helps a little!
YES! thanks. Now if I can only decide...maybe I need both ...Is an ergo more suitable for an older baby...one that can spread their legs wider?

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#79 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRise View Post
YES! thanks. Now if I can only decide...maybe I need both ...Is an ergo more suitable for an older baby...one that can spread their legs wider?
Yeah, I have both, and I really like the Ergo for almost all situations when their legs are able to spread wide enough (for DS1 that was about 4 months - so really not that far off). It's just much easier to get on and off in my opinion than the meitei - but I also live in a place where if the loooooooong straps of the mei tei hit the ground while tying it on, they get wet, which is yucky - if you don't maybe it wouldn't be a big deal. I also think that the Ergo just distributes the weight of a bigger baby over your hips more effectively, making it more comfortable for longer wearing/hiking/etc.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#80 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 04:18 PM

I did see a post about mei tai buckles in the babywearing forum. totally seems like the best of both worlds, I have never used/seen one but it is worth exploring They have it with just a buckle on the bottom strap and then one with buckles on both shoulder and waist straps. Kind of neat....

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#81 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
I did see a post about mei tai buckles in the babywearing forum. totally seems like the best of both worlds, I have never used/seen one but it is worth exploring They have it with just a buckle on the bottom strap and then one with buckles on both shoulder and waist straps. Kind of neat....
I like the flexibility of the long ties on the mei tai. I have both an Ergo and a mei tai, and for me I think the biggest difference is that I prefer the mei tai for a smaller baby and the Ergo for a larger one. The mei tai fits me a little better becuase it's infinitely adjustable, and the Ergo is a wee big in the shoulders for me, even when fully tightened. But, DH will use the Ergo but not the mei tai (he thinks it looks more manly!).

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#82 of 86 Old 04-24-2010, 06:09 PM

I want a mei tai that buckles at the waist....

#83 of 86 Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Ambystoma, the picture of your DS in the sling on the other thread is adorable--he looks like he's a year old!
Aww, thanks. He's an old soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Yes, I would like one too. That sounds awesome.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#84 of 86 Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I like the flexibility of the long ties on the mei tai. I have both an Ergo and a mei tai, and for me I think the biggest difference is that I prefer the mei tai for a smaller baby and the Ergo for a larger one. The mei tai fits me a little better becuase it's infinitely adjustable, and the Ergo is a wee big in the shoulders for me, even when fully tightened. But, DH will use the Ergo but not the mei tai (he thinks it looks more manly!).
What she said. Exactly. Only I have a mei tai and a beco. I bought a new butterfly II beco for the new babe because of the infant insert, but found that I like the mei tai A LOT better for the newborn stage because I can tie DD a lot closer to me. Plus she's so light and small at this point that it feels awkward to have most of her weight on my hips like in the beco. I actually have 2 mei tais....I was thinking about selling one, but they're different enough from each other that they each have a purpose and I use them at different times for different scenarios.

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#85 of 86 Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM

(Oops, wrong thread!)

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#86 of 86 Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I've got one and I love it! A friend made it and after 3 years of borrowing it, she gave it to me!

She said she made me an ergo...I haven't seen it yet...I hope I like it for the little guy...or the 3 year old.

Prayers appriciated...we want to make a major move/investment in our lives...hopefully I can write more when it gets settled here.
xoxo

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page