Weekly chat thread April second week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
um- I think it is somewhere in the 2nd week of April.
How is everyone doing?
Update! Haven't heard too much from people lately.
HOw are the babies and moms?
#2 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone's baby have baby acne?!
Mine does. How common is this, why does it happen and how long does it last?!
#3 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:d

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#4 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Malachi did have some baby acne. I have heard it is related to growth spurts/hormones and I think it just lasted less than a week. I didn't do anything with it either, baby skin heals pretty fast.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#5 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 PM

My baby has baby acne, on her face and chest! I think it's pretty common b/w weeks 4 and 6

Mama to three

#6 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 PM

Yeah, we had baby acne for a while but it's gone now (he's almost 9 weeks).

We are struggling to adjust to our very very impatient lad. DS1 was soooo chill, and I guess I just expected a repeat of that experience. Not so much. August will be totally fine and then turn on a dime and be screaming his head off out of nowhere. He's also suuuuuper attached to me, which is kind of hard on everyone - DH is struggling not to let it hurt his feelings too much, and I'm struggling to get more than 10 minutes of childfree time a day. I really want to carve out some time during the day to exercise, but I honestly cannot fathom how that would logically work right now.

I think we're going through a growth spurt - he's just not happy if he's not on boob almost constantly. My nipples are still sore, we're still using the nipple shield and ugh...I'm just frustrated. I wish I didn't need it, I wish that my flat nipples would have stayed unflat from nursing DS1 but they reverted...I'm just tired. I wish I could catch a break on sleep.

Ok, end rant.

In other, less emotional news, we had our 2 month appointment the other day. August is in the 50% percentile for height and weight and is growing steadily (he was in the same percentiles for the first checkup, too). We also had DS1's 3 yo appt at the same time (9 months late, woops!) and I was really excited/relieved to find out that he's in the 75th percentile for height and weight. I was wondering if he was shorter than most kids in his gym class the other day and I sometimes wonder if he's keeping up growth-wise since we're vegetarian, and i was totally stoked to find out that he's doing great!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#7 of 86 Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Keeta, I feel for you. My first DD was somewhat like that and it was really, really hard. And I didn't have any other kids to attend to. Hang in there!!

Miranda has baby acne, too! It started just after she was 1 month (I know because it wasn't there for her 1 month visit) and it's still there. She'll be 9 weeks this Tuesday. We're going to the ped that day, so I'll ask about it. Sometimes it seems to be clearing up and sometimes it seems worse. A couple of weeks ago it looked like pimples or prickly heat, but the past two days it looks dry, red, and scaly. I put some aquafor on it a couple of days ago and then some california baby calendula cream on it today. Today was the first time it seemed like it might be bothering her I'm hoping it's just acne and not eczema...

Other than that, I've got no real concerns (knocking wood furiously!!!). She's pretty mellow, nurses well, sleeps ok.....I'm constantly AMAZED at how much she looks like her big sister, yet has a completely different personality. The only time she's really gotten worked up is in the car, which she HATES with a passion. I feel so bad for her.....I try to keep trips to a minimum, but I do have to drive places. Luckily, once I pick her up, she calms down right away. When DD1 would get worked up, it took a long time and a lot of soothing to calm her. At 3 years old, it still takes her a long time to calm down if she gets upset.

I've been pumping in preparation to go back to work. We decided that we could afford for me to take another 6 weeks of family leave (unpaid). So I won't go back until mid June.

Pictures, etc. on my blog.

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#8 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Hi ladies! I haven't been posting too much lately I guess because it's hard to find the time and also because I feel kind of bad that I don't really have any complaints or problems... DS1, I now know was very high-needs and thus very draining, exhausting, all of it. DS2 is the complete opposite. Very laid back, happy, sleeps well, eats well, etc. With my first I felt like I had no time to exercise and so didn't really start losing the baby weight until he was almost a year! This time, I actually do have the time and am losing the weight!! It feels good.

Evan had the baby acne stuff too, but just for about a week. The same happened with my first. Lately, we've been starting the olive oil treatments on Evan's scalp to clean up some of the cradle crap stuff.

We leave for our first family vacation in less than 2 weeks! We're heading down to the Charleston, SC area to vacation and check it out to see if we'd like living there. We're so sick and tired of New England weather, etc. So needless to say, I have a lot of packing, etc to do in the next week. We'll be driving down with an infant and a 2.5 year old, so this should be interesting!!! Wish me luck!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#9 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM

So, so tired. Ze has been sleeping one 3-4 hour chunk at night starting around 6:30pm (during which I'm cleaning up after dinner and trying to spend some time with DH) and then getting up every 45-60 minutes after that. So I've literally been getting 2-4 hours of broken sleep every night. And he will only nap in the moby wrap so I can't nap. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I just can't function on this little sleep.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#10 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Elsa started getting baby acne when she was almost five weeks and it's mostly faded now, at seven weeks. I didn't do anything for it.

Keeta, Elsa is really clingy, too. Every newborn I ever saw didn't seem to care who held them, but she always wants me and no one else.

She's been fighting sleep lately, too, which is hard. We got two long naps yesterday so hopefully she's just finding a new pattern.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#11 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Ben has baby acne too - the doctor says it's technically infantile eczema, like most "baby acne", but whatever. He also says one of his kids had it seven times worse, which must have been pretty horrible, since Ben's was ALL over his face at the time, and most of his chest and back. It's been a lot better this week, he's six and a half weeks old now. Now he's getting cradle cap instead. But none of it bothered him.

I left him with my mom for babysitting for the first time this weekend. I had saved up some pumped milk for him, and he seems to take a bottle really well. He didn't seem to care whether I was there or my mom was - I'm hoping he keeps that attitude, since my first would scream if I left him with anyone, even his dad. He's been nursing ALL DAY today, so maybe he did notice on some level. Or maybe he's ready to grow again - he's gained almost a pound per week since he was born.

JustSimplicity, that sounds like no fun. Have you tried a swing for naps? Ben sleeps longer in his swing, so even though I try not to use it too often it's really helpful. Do you have anyone who could watch the baby for an hour or three during the day so you can nap? At least on weekends maybe your DH can take him. I remember with Seth how tired I felt after just one night of him waking up every hour, that's not something you can do regularly! I think if it were me I'd forget about cleaning up dinner and save the DH time for the weekend or something, and go to bed early, until you can get his schedule rearranged to something more bearable.
#12 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Howdy, y'all!

Juju is SO CUTE. My gosh, I can't get enough of this little girl. And thank goodness, because she can't seem to get enough of me, either.

Going to go in and get my thyroid tested; I've been doing some reading, and it seems that thyroid issues can cause:
- premature birth
- low breastmilk supply
- crazy hair loss
That sounds just like ME!!!! Man, I would be SO excited to finally have something to FIX!!!exclamation points!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#13 of 86 Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM

I'm a co-napping failure.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#14 of 86 Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

l
#15 of 86 Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I think I know what you mean- Every day I am like- I should sleep when Teo naps but somehow I never can! Dh comes home at the end of the day and I am like- yeah, baby slept a ton but I didn't and I am exhausted!
I just can't seem to do it "right"! Last week I had a rare day where I had nothing going on in the afternoon and DH was home earlier than usual. Since it had been a rough night the night before, I thought I'd try and lay down for an hour or so. Caleb was fussy so I let him lay in bed with me - even did the whole side-lying nursing thing. He finished eating and popped off and wanted to play...my whole hour of "rest" consisted of him hitting/kicking at me, cooing and squawking...not exactly the nap I was hoping for.

This week I feel like absolute poop - I have a horrible head cold and am scared to take anything for it fearing it will affect my supply. So as soon as DH got home from work I went to lay down. I hadn't been down 20 minutes when Caleb started fussing, so DH brought him to me. I got comfy in a side-lying nursing position and apparently we both fell asleep. I woke up an hour later and realized it was close to time to make dinner - Caleb was still asleep with boob in mouth. I attempted to move my elbow from behind his head (he was using my arm as a pillow) and extract the boob and it woke him up - poor guy was so startled that he cried in terror for 5 minutes before DH got him calmed down again.

#16 of 86 Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM

awww Nicole, so sorry about the cold....I'm dealing with that too

I don't know your feelings on the whole sleeping with baby thing, but I would encourage you to keep nursing in the side-lying position to help yourself get some rest. Maybe he was so startled because it's a new experience for him (falling asleep boob in mouth and then having it removed)?! I sleep for a couple hours every night with Evan in the side-lying position and have been since he was born. It's a life-saver for me to actually get some rest while he does. I think he's so used to it, that he doesn't seem to have any trouble when I get up in the morning to exercise and leave him in bed..?

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#17 of 86 Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Last night was the night of miracle sleep! Ze slept for five hours straight, woke up, nursed, and then slept for another five hours!!!!! Then DH got up with him so I could sleep in for two hours! I feel like an entirely different person. I don't expect him to sleep so well tonight but even one great night makes such a difference.

Here's some good sleep vibes for everyone else (and I hope we keep some too).

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#18 of 86 Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabus View Post
awww Nicole, so sorry about the cold....I'm dealing with that too

I don't know your feelings on the whole sleeping with baby thing, but I would encourage you to keep nursing in the side-lying position to help yourself get some rest. Maybe he was so startled because it's a new experience for him (falling asleep boob in mouth and then having it removed)?! I sleep for a couple hours every night with Evan in the side-lying position and have been since he was born. It's a life-saver for me to actually get some rest while he does. I think he's so used to it, that he doesn't seem to have any trouble when I get up in the morning to exercise and leave him in bed..?
I don't really want him in the bed on a regular basis - I'm a pretty heavy sleeper so would worry about that, and DH moves a lot at night. But it would be nice to get a nap in once in awhile. He often falls asleep on the breast, but usually I remove it as soon as I notice, so maybe he was in a different sleep stage or something.

#19 of 86 Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM

hi. just trying to keep up. Thingss are moving so quickly here.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#20 of 86 Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM

NicoleS - I would think it was where he was in the sleep cycle. If he was in a deep sleep, I don't think he would have woken up.

We are still all doing well here. Spent all day outside - yay to temps in the 70s in April!
It's my son's 2nd birthday on Friday and we are having a playdate in the morning to celebrate. So, I've just been busy getting the house and yard picked up for that and his family party on Saturday. Fortunately, Elsa is still sleeping quite a bit during the day, so I have time to get stuff done.

Oh, I tried out my homemade mei tei today with DD. It worked out well. I tried the ring sling again first, but it's just not that comfortable to me. Even though I love my stretchy wrap (like a moby), I figure I should start trying out some of the other carriers we have.

Mama to three

#21 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

l
#22 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Well, genetically speaking Teo is half of you, maybe he'll favor your side of the family. Not to mention you never know how the genetics will play out. Caleb looks NOTHING at all like how Shane looked at this age, and they have the same parents!

#23 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

l
#24 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

ok-
#25 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM

I've wondered how that was going, Katie--if there were any emotional repercussions of the donor conception post-birth, but I wasn't going to bring it up. (I was on the TTC board with Katie.) I think this is an issue that people can have no matter how their DC's are conceived. My daughter looks just like my DH's family and not at all like mine, and sometimes that bugs me. Sometimes when I'm angry with her I think it doesn't help that she looks so much like them. I mean, I love them, but they are not my family, you know? Now my new DS seems to be looking more like my side of the family, particularly my dad. And when he cries and looks at my with Dad's eyes, I think I feel a little extra protective of him. I think as long as I'm aware of it there's no problem, but his looks are totally going to work in his favor for me. Anyway, I think that in any case kids go through stages where they look more like one person or another, and how they look as adults has as much to do with their experiences (and nutrition) on the way as their genetics. You'll love Teo and feel like he's the best-looking kid (or adult) you've ever seen, just because he's yours. Which is how I feel about my DD even though she is the spitting image of my MIL.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#26 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I've wondered how that was going, Katie--if there were any emotional repercussions of the donor conception post-birth, but I wasn't going to bring it up. (I was on the TTC board with Katie.) I think this is an issue that people can have no matter how their DC's are conceived. My daughter looks just like my DH's family and not at all like mine, and sometimes that bugs me. Sometimes when I'm angry with her I think it doesn't help that she looks so much like them. I mean, I love them, but they are not my family, you know? Now my new DS seems to be looking more like my side of the family, particularly my dad. And when he cries and looks at my with Dad's eyes, I think I feel a little extra protective of him. I think as long as I'm aware of it there's no problem, but his looks are totally going to work in his favor for me. Anyway, I think that in any case kids go through stages where they look more like one person or another, and how they look as adults has as much to do with their experiences (and nutrition) on the way as their genetics. You'll love Teo and feel like he's the best-looking kid (or adult) you've ever seen, just because he's yours. Which is how I feel about my DD even though she is the spitting image of my MIL.
I don't mind DS looking like DH, but I don't think I could handle DD looking like my MIL! Yikes! So far DD looks like me as a baby, so I think I'm "safe".

Mama to three

#27 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Neither of these are great shots, but it is the same outfit...

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010...733053268M.jpg
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010...733088963M.jpg

#28 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Oh, and in our family, DH's Greek quarter is totally dominant in the kids. We thought Athena might have favored me, but she also looks like a spitting image of his great-aunt when we see the childhood pics from Greece. Caleb is the only one who looks even a little like me.

#29 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM

nak. I love my baby...but he looks like my mil and bil that I hate...but he IS good looking, at least.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#30 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

l

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page