May chat thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 112 Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
So I was nursing in the ladies room today during the memorial service for a friend. And another woman came in to use the bathroom but then she left saying to me, "I just don't feel right. I'll go use the other bathroom." What?! I was completely covered up and everything.
Maybe she didn't feel right using the bathroom in the same place your LO was eating--so maybe she was trying to be courteous? Or she's one of THOSE people who get grossed out at the thought of breastfeeding.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#62 of 112 Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
So I was nursing in the ladies room today during the memorial service for a friend. And another woman came in to use the bathroom but then she left saying to me, "I just don't feel right. I'll go use the other bathroom." What?! I was completely covered up and everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
Maybe she didn't feel right using the bathroom in the same place your LO was eating--so maybe she was trying to be courteous? Or she's one of THOSE people who get grossed out at the thought of breastfeeding.
I was thinking the same thing...or maybe she was worried about offending you...you know, had to do a #2 and didn't want to stink the place up?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#63 of 112 Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I was thinking the same thing...or maybe she was worried about offending you...you know, had to do a #2 and didn't want to stink the place up?
Hoping it was that...

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#64 of 112 Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
That's the only thing I could think of. It was just such a weird comment and it made me feel kind of bad about nursing in public even though I was trying to be as out of the way as possible. Ah well. The boy's gotta eat.

By the way, LOVED your birth story Tamara. Juju is adorable!

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#65 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was just browsing online for those side snap "kimono style" baby shirts. I have only found the inexpensive 3 pack white ones in the 0-3 months style.
Anyone know if they make those in the next size up? DS outgrew those first ones and we love them.
So I came across this link an thought this was just such a cute baby and a cute outfit I had to share!
http://www.tinybirdsorganicbabytoys....leeve-Bodysuit
#66 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Very cute - but I sure hope for $18 that includes the pants too?!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#67 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I know- expensive! I think it is a one piece pants and top. but that baby in the photo is just so adorable!
#68 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That looks like a kate quinn design. I just received an email about her annual 10 dollar sale (I had bought our crib sheets from her) and just filled the cart with some lapshirts and kimono dress.

The kimono shirt is one of the items on sale (for 10.00)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#69 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM

I just took a closer look and its the kimono dress that is for sale (the shirts are in a too big size)

http://www.katequinnorganics.com/esh...id=97&pageID=2

#70 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM

some punk grandmother-to-be asked me to quit nip at a bat mitzvah. F*ck her!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#71 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

OMG!! grrrrrrrr

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#72 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Grr, how annoying, jul511riv! I'm glad that so far no one's given me any trouble. Yesterday I was in the middle of the grocery store and had to sit down on the floor in the aisle and feed the baby because he was getting so fussy. I usually use a cover just because I'm happier that way, but I didn't have it with me - I guess I'll chalk it up as lactivism. Nobody bothered me though.

The baby is so funny - he loves shirts with patterns and pictures. He's getting better and better at grabbing stuff, so right now he's sitting here trying to pull the flowers off my shirt.

We had a horrible poo-splosion yesterday, it got all over me. :P But that's the risk I take by putting him in only a prefold to let him air out, I guess.

Naps are getting a little weird here. He does a great job putting himself to sleep if I time it right and lay him down in his bed, but his naps are getting really short. A few weeks ago he was trying to sleep four or five hours in the afternoon and I had to wake him up, but now he often only sleeps half an hour at a time. *shrug* No complaints as long as he keeps sleeping so well at night. *knock on wood*
#73 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
I'm sorry.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#74 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Katie, if you're looking for just plain undershirts with side snaps, Carter's makes them in larger sizes. I don't know what they have at BRU and department stores, but I've been to an outlet and they have tons of them. You get like five for 12 dollars or so.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#75 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Katie, if you're looking for just plain undershirts with side snaps, Carter's makes them in larger sizes. I don't know what they have at BRU and department stores, but I've been to an outlet and they have tons of them. You get like five for 12 dollars or so.
great! that is what I am looking for. thanks
#76 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Ugh, my baby isn't gaining weight like he should! Argh! and

He had only gained 16 oz in a month (from 8-12 weeks), which my ND said was on the low side of normal, so she wanted to see him in a week and see what he weighed then. Well that was today, and he had only gained 2 oz in 6 days. They're supposed to gain 1/2-1 oz a day. We nurse ALL the time! Constantly, it feels like!

Anyway, just wanted to vent/cry. I'm taking a ton of herbs as of today (fenugreek, blessed thistle) and she wants me to add pumping sessions after nursing 4x a day - I just don't get how that works with a preschooler and a baby??! Who holds the baby while I pump for 1/2 an hour?! DH is taking tomorrow off, but he obviously can't do that indefinitely. And he'll be out of town most of the weekend (perfect!).

I don't get it. My baby seems fine, not like he's starving or anything...he does throw up a lot after nursing and seems gassy. We've also been using a nipple shield, and I'm sure that's part of the problem. I have a call in to the lactation consultant, so hopefully she can shed some light on our multiple issues (flat nipples, nipple shield, bad latch, slow weight gain, oh my!)

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#77 of 112 Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 PM

hugs keeta. Does he possibly have tongue tie and/or reflux? I am sorry. That sounds really hard. I hope the LC can help you sort through what you need to do and what would be a bonus.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#78 of 112 Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Keeta - I'm sorry you're going through this. But remember - he IS gaining. We went through this with DD at roughly the same age. Ped told me is was "probably losing my milk just like she did at the same point". But I could pump 6oz at a sitting! She told me "just supplement". I left in tears - but didn't supplement. Guess what. DD is 4.5 now, and as it turns out, she's just small, just like her dad's family. She was adjusting to her growth curve. Chances are that's what's happening for you guys too. Medical professionals tend to over-do this stuff, IMO.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#79 of 112 Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM

(((hugs))) Keeta. I'm afraid we are going through the same thing. Caleb was 13 lbs 8 oz. at his 2 month checkup and almost exactly a month later weighed only 14 lbs. 11 oz. Putting the dates into Kellymom that's only 3.9 ounces per week. I'm trying not to worry about it too much until our 4 month appointment, but I have a history of supply issues that even the herbs and prescriptions couldn't fix so I fear that this is the beginning of the end for us.

#80 of 112 Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM

What are some things your baby loves to do?

Lucy is 10wks 5 days and she loves to:
~ lay flat on her back, naked, and kick her legs. (we do this a couple of times a day)
~ she likes having her legs free of clothes - now that the weather is nicer we can easily do this.

Other things :
~ she is appreciating tickles (now).
~ she is curious about the toys that dangle above her, when she is in a rocker/bouncer thing. She likes this for about 5-10 minutes.
~ she loves ceiling lights and fans
~ she LOVED looking at the trees and shrubs (while she was in the front carrier) Maybe it was a different scenery that she was enjoying.

~ she holds her hands
~ she chats
~ she almost laughed today
~ she can "squeal" to get my attention (rather then cry)
~ she has preferences, even if it is to sleep cuddled in the left arm rather then the right arm!

How about your babes!

#81 of 112 Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Keeta- I'm sorry. I can imagine how stressed out you must feel. I know this is probably a silly question-but are you getting enough calories? I know I either don't or have a difficult time hitting that 2300-2500 mark we're supposed to get. I actually just read over in the breastfeeding forum about someone having a similar issue and realizing she wasn't eating nearly enough because she was so busy with her littles. And just like pp's have said--growth will taper out at some point.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#82 of 112 Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the support, ladies. We saw a lactation consultant last night which made me feel better - because she was kind of like, Um, he seems happy and normal and not starving...Which is how we felt about it (wouldn't we know if our baby was always hungry?!) She said there wasn't really a clear-cut issue and that he *might* have a posterior tongue tie. We're taking the week to 1) take my herbs and supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle) 2) pump 4x day after feedings 3) do breast compression/massage while feeding 4)work on my posture while breastfeeding, which apparently was semi-atrocious. In my defense, we do probably 80% of our nursing lying down. I'm feeling more in control and less freaked out about it - like he's really okay, it might just be his growth curve (I'm 5'6" and DH is only 5'8" and we're both at or under 150 lbs - so we're not huge people).

Kara that's a good point about calories - I'm probably not getting that much on a normal day, because it is hard to keep everyone fed AND feed myself. I was so stressed yesterday (and disgusted with how trashed the house was) that I made DH take us out to eat - where I devoured salad, fettucine alfredo AND a giant cannoli for dessert. Oh, and I'm keeping better track of staying hydrated, because it's really easy to miss that, too.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#83 of 112 Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 AM

I'm doing calorie counting, so I know those are good. Water is harder for me - I often forget until I'm really thirsty. I try to set out the proper number of bottles in the fridge the night before and my goal is to drink them all by the next night...

#84 of 112 Old 05-15-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post

Naps are getting a little weird here. He does a great job putting himself to sleep if I time it right and lay him down in his bed, but his naps are getting really short. A few weeks ago he was trying to sleep four or five hours in the afternoon and I had to wake him up, but now he often only sleeps half an hour at a time. *shrug* No complaints as long as he keeps sleeping so well at night. *knock on wood*
oh my! We are the SAME over here. If I happen to find that perfect window he goes right to sleep at naptime. He sleeps about every 2 hours (from waking up each time) but only for 30-40mins at a time. No complaints since he sleeps 10pm-5am every night.
#85 of 112 Old 05-15-2010, 03:53 AM

J is 12 weeks old today.

We has laughed twice, before that it was just wide smiled gasps. LOVE it.

Today all day long he kept going from back to side, getting stuck and getting mad. Finally at his diaper change he was in his crib and rolled from back to tummy and then was able to kick himself back to his back. So amazing.

He's talking and makes the cutest "oh" and "coo" noises.

He notices his surroundings a lot more. Loves being outside. I have had him nap in his stroller so I can garden.

He loves kids, we went to a mother's group meeting at our church and he was so entranced with the 2-3 year olds.

He tries to fit both hands in his mouth.

He loves to stare at his hands and is only starting to figure out he has control over them (sometimes they scare him and sometimes he gets frustrated when he takes them out of his mouth and doesn't know that he could easily just put them back up there).

Sad that I will not get to spend all day every day with him starting Monday.
#86 of 112 Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Malachi is doing so many things now!
Our new favorite thing- spitting with his tongue. He will be whining and then all of a sudden remember he can do it and start spitting and smiling. In the mornings, if I am able to let him sleep until he wakes up, he will slowly lift his head, look to both sides, notice me on one side and lean in and squint until he is sure it is me. Once he realizes it is me, he will break out into a huge smile, smash his face into the mattress and scrunch up his body in happiness. It is the cutest thing in the world! Then he talks to me and spits. Such a sweet boy.
On another note, I am officially obsessed and off the deep end about carriers. I got an organic ergo, the sea green one, and I LOVE it. I sold my ergo that I had already as a Christmas present (it was black) because it showed cat hair like no one's business. Since I don't feel like giving my cats away... a lighter color was better, plus I had store credit! Malachi has really good head control and hates to not see what is going on so I carried him around in the hip carry today at the farmer's market. No sore back for me and my baby was happy, yay! I also got a water sling for my birthday and I cannot wait to try it out! I have used it on land just like a regular ring sling but I am hoping to use it soon in the pool. I would say that I feel bad about my obsession, but really, anything that helps me carry him/keep him happy and keeps my body happy is a welcomed addition to my life.
I can't really say this to anyone IRL because I have friends who would feel bad but I am back to my pre pg weight. I think I have been for a couple of weeks but I had a chance to get on a scale this week. I was kind of shocked because I am still fluffy and just shaped different. I am happy though with how my body is starting to bounce back. It seemed like it wasn't for the longest time and then in just a couple of weeks it started to feel like me again. DH and I dtd for the first time a little while ago and remarkably, it felt great. I waited longer than I "needed" to but just the right amount for me. I had some aching around my tears but nothing that couldn't be ignored or just improved by taking it slow at first. I don't think I was depressed before now but I am much happier with life right now. I think physically healing took a lot out of me emotionally and I didn't know it.
To end this novel of a post....I realized something this week that kind of makes me sad but optimistic for my next babe. I pushed for a little under 5 hours with Malachi. I was in a deep squat with my DH holding my arms extended over my head for the majority of the time. I keep feeling like I wasn't doing a good job pushing. At the end, we switched to DH behind me, my elbows on his knees while he sat on a couch and I squatted. Malachi was born in 3 or less contractions. For some reason, maybe flexibility or the way my hips are shaped, I am better at pushing in the squat tilted a little back. When I was tilted forward it was in a position that wasn't helpful for helping the baby out. My disappointment is that I am pretty sure that if I had tried this earlier I would a)have had the baby sooner and b) not messed my tailbone up as much as I did. I figured this out while stretching on the exercise ball. I leaned forward in a squat- super painful for my tailbone and I couldn't really push to stand up. When I leaned a little back, no pain in my tailbone and I could very easily go from squatting to standing. Anyway, don't know how I feel about this but thanks for reading all of this

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#87 of 112 Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
My disappointment is that I am pretty sure that if I had tried this earlier I would a)have had the baby sooner and b) not messed my tailbone up as much as I did. I figured this out while stretching on the exercise ball. I leaned forward in a squat- super painful for my tailbone and I couldn't really push to stand up. When I leaned a little back, no pain in my tailbone and I could very easily go from squatting to standing. Anyway, don't know how I feel about this but thanks for reading all of this
I know what you feel like-- I keep thinking if ONLY I would have pushed in x, y, z position I would not have needed the episiotomy... I had ALL natural and then that. UGH. It makes me so pissed that the language barrier between my midwife and I was like that and I did not even THINK to ask about other positions... oh well, you live you learn. Oh and don't feel bad about being at your pre-preg weight I am too, we can celebrate together! I know what you mean about telling people in real life! haha

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#88 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

so I am here visiting my parents which is always some good and some bad- but it is getting me a little perspective which is good. And the truth is that I NEED to start exercising! I am so heavy- I have not lost practically ANY of my baby weight as I have done zero exercise in these 2 months! It is very humbling as there is a big family party tomorrow and I will be seeing lots of people! My parents also helped me realize that I need to get some help at home with the baby- since my back is out it is hard to walk with him in the carrier. So- I am excited cause I am going to get some regular help- a mothers helper. then when she is with the baby I can start exercising again! Before pregnancy I was 120 and 5ft4. At my home scale it says I am 145 still but my dad's scale just said I am 156 still!!! nuts! I don't even eat that much I just do NO exercise. I used to exercise all the time! So I am finally ready to accept help with the baby and to dtart exercising. I guess my goal is to feel somewhat normal by maybe October if I can. HEre's hoping. What a wake up call to look at myself in the clean well lit mirror of my parents house! At my house I am always in frumpy clothes and home and just didn't notice somehow!
#89 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
So- I am excited cause I am going to get some regular help- a mothers helper. then when she is with the baby I can start exercising again! Before pregnancy I was 120 and 5ft4. At my home scale it says I am 145 still but my dad's scale just said I am 156 still!!! nuts! I don't even eat that much I just do NO exercise. I used to exercise all the time! So I am finally ready to accept help with the baby and to dtart exercising. I guess my goal is to feel somewhat normal by maybe October if I can. HEre's hoping. What a wake up call to look at myself in the clean well lit mirror of my parents house! At my house I am always in frumpy clothes and home and just didn't notice somehow!
Take it easy at first and don't cut calories too much, it can lead to breastfeeding problems The weight will come off in time. 9 months on, 9 months off. Also, remember that your body just carried a baby! Be easy on yourself, no self-hating oh and, good with the mother's helper!!!

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#90 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Does the site look different today?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page