May chat thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elsa's coos sound like gorilla grunts. She looks so pleased with herself when she does it too. She's also super drooly, and growing so fast. I'm already about to move up to medium size prefolds.

We ended up getting her vaccinates for Hib and DTap. My doctor's office only offers Pentacel though, which also contains polio. I didn't want to give her polio so early but it was my only option, and I wasn't too concerned because it's a very old vaccine with a side effect rate I'm comfortable with. She did fine and had no problems, so I'm happy to have made my decision on that.

Does anyone else have no interest whatsoever in sex? We've done it twice since Elsa was born and both times it's only been for my husband's benefit. I just don't feel like a sexual being at all anymore.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#92 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 PM

What's baby up to?

At 10 weeks she is starting to be awake more, but will still take decent 2-4 hour naps during the day.

She is a big drooler also, and we usually get at least one spit up a day, which is different from DS.

She loves:

- Watching her brother (And Mama and Daddy too!)
- Watching the fans/lights
- Her elephant toy that dangles from the carseat
- Being in the moby and SSC

She makes the most adorable coos and chortles. She loves to 'talk' and is trying to laugh it seems. We do tickles and peek a boos and pokes and she enjoys it all. She loves stretching out in the water during bathtime.

She is not close to rolling over, but we barely do tummytime...like I've done it twice. With hardwood floors and a toddler who has hardly any control over his actions, I just don't make the safe time for it.

-------

Sex: We haven't done it at all! We haven't bought any condoms yet. Well, DH hasn't bought any. And - I've got my period back already, so it's definitely a necessity. I don't feel very sexual either. It's hard when a baby just gets done nursing and then DH is interested in getting in there. I never got used to it last time and haven't really this time either.

-------

No vaxes here yet, I am going to check the health dept. schedule, just haven't gotten around to it.

-------

Keeta - hugs to you! I hope it all works out. I actually have a friend who went through something very similar and is now exclusively pumping because her son couldn't keep her supply up at all.

-------

I put my son on my back today in the SSC for the first time in over a year. He fought it at first, but then stayed in it all the way to the playground. I felt pretty awesome, DH and I babywearing our kids down the street. I hope DS ends up liking the back carry because it will be easier to tote him around the zoo than bringing a stroller just in case.

Mama to three

#93 of 112 Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Does the site look different today?
Yes, I really like it. It's easier to see.

Mama to three

#94 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 AM

went to an event w/ hundereds of babies, all under 1 yr old...seas of bottles. I bf. then i saw another mother doing the same, i went up to her and thanked her for bf her lo. she said she only did it cause i was doing it. her husband wanted her to "cover up" and stood around protectively. She said "well that woman didnt cover, so im not either!" that woman was me! on the way out i saw one other woman. her husband was putting a nursing bib over her and she was saying that the baby didnt like it and it was hard 4 her to nurse like that, so she just took it off and gave up on nursing. i left after that, dont know how the little baby got fed.

what are we doing to our future?!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#95 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
What's baby up to?

At 10 weeks she is starting to be awake more, but will still take decent 2-4 hour naps during the day.

She is a big drooler also, and we usually get at least one spit up a day, which is different from DS.

She loves:

- Watching her brother (And Mama and Daddy too!)
- Watching the fans/lights
- Her elephant toy that dangles from the carseat
- Being in the moby and SSC

She makes the most adorable coos and chortles. She loves to 'talk' and is trying to laugh it seems. We do tickles and peek a boos and pokes and she enjoys it all. She loves stretching out in the water during bathtime.

She is not close to rolling over, but we barely do tummytime...like I've done it twice. With hardwood floors and a toddler who has hardly any control over his actions, I just don't make the safe time for it.

-------

Sex: We haven't done it at all! We haven't bought any condoms yet. Well, DH hasn't bought any. And - I've got my period back already, so it's definitely a necessity. I don't feel very sexual either. It's hard when a baby just gets done nursing and then DH is interested in getting in there. I never got used to it last time and haven't really this time either.

-------

No vaxes here yet, I am going to check the health dept. schedule, just haven't gotten around to it.

-------

Keeta - hugs to you! I hope it all works out. I actually have a friend who went through something very similar and is now exclusively pumping because her son couldn't keep her supply up at all.

-------

I put my son on my back today in the SSC for the first time in over a year. He fought it at first, but then stayed in it all the way to the playground. I felt pretty awesome, DH and I babywearing our kids down the street. I hope DS ends up liking the back carry because it will be easier to tote him around the zoo than bringing a stroller just in case.
I love babywearing and I am super happy to report my husband does too! We were getting ready to leave the other day and I walked into the room and he was trying to wrap himself up.

Iago loves looking at our faces and has just discovered we have a dog. She's a brindle greyhound, so he follows her around with his eyes and he smiles at her. She still ignores him, except for the occasional sniff. I think she thinks if she doesn't look at him he might just disappear. Sorry Pup!

I think I have like three pairs of pants that fit me. While I am happy with my weight (55 kilos pre-pregnancy, 62 now) my shape has totally shifted. My hips are wider and I have so many pairs of pants I know I'll never fit again. I also have a ponch. Oh well.

I agree with the calorie thing! I need to remember to eat enough too.

We got vaxed and there was no reactions. I specifically chose this doctor because in addition to being a general doctor she is also a homeopathic and acupuncturist. She is pro-vax though and it was hard to really talk in a second language.

to Lauren31. I also had an episiotomy probably due to non-fluency second language issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Does the site look different today?
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
went to an event w/ hundereds of babies, all under 1 yr old...seas of bottles. I bf. then i saw another mother doing the same, i went up to her and thanked her for bf her lo. she said she only did it cause i was doing it. her husband wanted her to "cover up" and stood around protectively. She said "well that woman didnt cover, so im not either!" that woman was me! on the way out i saw one other woman. her husband was putting a nursing bib over her and she was saying that the baby didnt like it and it was hard 4 her to nurse like that, so she just took it off and gave up on nursing. i left after that, dont know how the little baby got fed.

You are awesome! Good for you.

My husband sees NIP as such a non-issue. I can see sometimes people uncomfortable with me feeding my son, but he totally doesn't. It's sad that some parents are more concerned with a little skin showing rather than babies being nourished. It's so true that it is easier to do when you see someone else doing it. So I hope one day to be that person. Who knew I'd become a lactavist .

My first NIP Iago was nine days old. Mom and I went to a mall. I nursed in a crowded seated area. Just after we finished I saw a mom nursing her baby in a bjorn. It was much easier once I figured out how to nurse in a carrier. Where was your first NIP?

My family = me + dh & ds +
#96 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Phew, glad I'm not going crazy!

I don't remember where my first real NIP was. I know with Jasmine I was so nervous about it and always used a blanket. I've gotten more relaxed about it the more kids I have...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#97 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

I don't remember my first NIP either, but it definitely gets way easier. And way easier to realize there is no need to cover up. I'd say most times I still try to cover up, but if it doesn't work out, oh well. I am becoming more of a 'lactivist' myself. I have a FB "friend" who was being a major turd about a bfing blog I posted. So next time I see him in real life, I'm going to have to "whip it out" - because that is what all nursing mothers do, you know.

Mama to three

#98 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I don't remember my first NIP either, but it definitely gets way easier. And way easier to realize there is no need to cover up. I'd say most times I still try to cover up, but if it doesn't work out, oh well. I am becoming more of a 'lactivist' myself. I have a FB "friend" who was being a major turd about a bfing blog I posted. So next time I see him in real life, I'm going to have to "whip it out" - because that is what all nursing mothers do, you know.
Since you are gonna whip it out anyway, would squirting him be going too far .

Sorry, bad joke.

#99 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#100 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post
Since you are gonna whip it out anyway, would squirting him be going too far .

Sorry, bad joke.
Not at all a bad joke! I was actually going to add to my post -

and quite possibly squirt him in the face

But didn't know if that would be going too far.

Mama to three

#101 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Not at all a bad joke! I was actually going to add to my post -

and quite possibly squirt him in the face

But didn't know if that would be going too far.

re: our future... I honestly think that all the campaigning the NHS has been doing about the benefits of BFing is working out over here... There is a government funded childrens centre near me, and it runs a BF support group now. I went there the other day and there were about 20 mothers with their LOs, ranging from newborns to about 1yr, I was seriously impressed, I only live in a small town. 3 years ago when I had DD I felt like an alien for BFing!

Engaged to my sweetheart, Mammy to two beautiful girls
Eden Jade 18.08.06 & Saffron Jo 13.02.10
#102 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM

I guess the mom's group I go to at the birth center I tried to birth at was the first time I nursed in public, but it was other like-minded moms and everyone just does their thing with no problem. I also did it at about a month PP in the chiropractor's waiting room.

I've done it in lots of parking lots. I suppose that's public. And the church cry room. People don't seem offended, but I think they're worried about my comfort sometimes (offering to close curtains, find me another room if I'd prefer, etc), which doesn't bother me.

I saw a clip from Sesame Street that ran in '77 where a woman is bfing her baby and talks to Big Bird about it. It's very sweet and easy for kids to understand. Can you imagine any kids' show today even saying the word "breast", let alone showing bfing?

How far we've fallen in 30 years.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#103 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 PM

nak but wanted to share...i've been going to a new moms grp at a local natural parenting store and half the moms there cover up--just in our little room of all new moms! argh.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#104 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
nak but wanted to share...i've been going to a new moms grp at a local natural parenting store and half the moms there cover up--just in our little room of all new moms! argh.
That's nuts!! Please go in there topless next time. But seriously, maybe they need to SEE that it's OKAY.

As a mom who is stuck using formula, GOSH, breastfeeding is such a GIFT; moms who can do it should be proud as peacocks!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#105 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 PM

I don't remember the first place I nip'd, 6 years ago....but, I've done it EVERYWHERE! I've been nursing straight since I had my first and when baby is hungry, that is all that matters! I was talking to my little sis once about it because she is uncomfortable nip and I mentioned that I've even been in a grocery store, pushing the cart with one hand while nursing and her dh says "you're one of THOSE people!". I just laughed and said yup, I guess so! It is very crunchy where I love and not many people seem to give you a second glance for bfing.

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#106 of 112 Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't remember my very first NIP- might have been LLL meeting- but recently DH graduated from law school. He had his graduation in the UNC Dean dome. Yep, I was walking around during graduation holding Malachi and nursing on the lower level. Hey, the kid was hungry! I agree, it is very sad that any mother has to ever feel like she needs to cover up or feel awkward. Why isn't it just normal to feed your baby? mtnmoonmama- I have also been told that I must be one of "THOSE" people. It just makes me smile, I guess I am lol.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#107 of 112 Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post

I saw a clip from Sesame Street that ran in '77 where a woman is bfing her baby and talks to Big Bird about it. It's very sweet and easy for kids to understand. Can you imagine any kids' show today even saying the word "breast", let alone showing bfing?

How far we've fallen in 30 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L-F...next=1&index=2

enjoy.

#108 of 112 Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

ps, check out her "cripple creek" on sesame street with the mouth bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkM11kp_tg

#109 of 112 Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Maybe some moms are more comfortable covering up? I know I was with my first...there was so much fumbling around and trying to get baby in the right position and everything, and I preferred not having my boobies on display for all to see. As baby and I got more versed in the art of BFing I was more comfortable with it and didn't feel the need to use the cover.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#110 of 112 Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM

And we're looking "normal" again? What's with all the layout changes lately?

#111 of 112 Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Just wanted to update. The good news: August gained 10 oz in 6 days!!! Woo-hoo! No more worrying about his lack of weight gain. Basically I just stopped using the nipple shield and kept doing the herbs (fenugreek, 3 caps 3x a day, and blessed thistle - 2 caps 3x a day). I am so relieved.

The bad news: Apparently all the stress has wreaked havoc on my immune system. I've gotten a cold sore on my lip - once a month since August was born. Then I've had this super sore hip/back that broke out into blisters, which I thought were spider bites (EWWWW!) since I found a spider in my bed (EEEWWW AGAIN!!). I had the dr. look at it yesterday when I took A in for the weight check and she was like, "No, that's not spider bites...that's shingles." UUUUGGHHHH. It hurts SO MUCH. Like red ants are biting my back constantly. It hurts when my *clothes* touch it! It's right on my lower back above my butt and on my left hip - which makes rest really hard since I'm always laying on it. She gave me a B12 shot in the office (which also really hurst BTW!) and now I have to take:
2000mg C 3x a day
2 ViraCan caps 3x a day
500 Lysiene 3x a day

plus all the other breastfeeding herbs, my multi, fish oil and vitamin D. I feel like a freaking old lady! I have to take a handful of pills 3 times a day! I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my topical ointment for the shingles - from a compounding pharmacy out of town. It really sucks! Apparently my body is just wrecked from exhaustion, stress, whathaveyou. I think stressing out over the baby's weight gain was kind of the last straw. Oh, and apparently shingles lasts 2-3 weeks. Grrrreat. On the bright side, it's already been hurting a week, so only 1-2 more to go, right? Blargh.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#112 of 112 Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM

OMG Keeta, that's crazy! Take it easy girl. Is there any chance that the shingles could turn into chicken pox on your baby? I really have no clue about that kind of stuff.

When my DH caught chickenpox last year oatmeal baths really helped him (stuff dry oatmeal into a pantyhose and soak away). Maybe that'll give you a bit of relief?

You aren't working, are you?

Get better soon!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page