Has anyone else got teeth yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Iago was born on the 27th of February, so he is not the oldest baby here by any means. I'm hoping someone can help or sympathize.

We've got drooling
We've got hand chewing
We've got a bit of grumpiness
We've got extra night wakes

Is this teething? I can see white through his gums, but no swelling that I can tell. I feel bad for my baby!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#2 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Ooh, yuck. Could be! But I'm no help...my first didn't get teeth until almost her first birthday, so I'll be totally shocked if this one gets them early.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#3 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Could be reflux -- can make them drool and want to nurse more often. Have you changed something in your diet?

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#4 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, change in my diet? I eat pretty much everything and everything. Can't think of anything that would stand out. Lying down doesn't bug him at all. Isn't that a main sign of reflux?

He really seems like he wants to chew something. Teething scares me as I'm sure I'll get nipped in the process.

#5 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Malachi is chewing on EVERYTHING. Don't know if it is teeth or not. We had the interrupted sleep and there is a ton of drool. He did just start talking a bunch more, spitting with his tongue, and almost rolling all the way over. I am guessing for us it is a combination of learning new things and exploring his world orally. He does really like to suck his thumb right before a poop...and I have had to cut dairy out of my diet because Malachi seemed to be sensitive to it. He hadn't seemed bothered by it and then was extra fussy, problems with poops, and more reflux when I had dairy, sigh. First teeth supposedly take a long time to come in, so maybe the long process is getting started?

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#6 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Could be teeth, but it could be other stuff too.

Hand chewing is just fun when they realize they can do it and sometimes a sign of hunger. Excess drool can be the body starting to get ready for solids down the line. Grumpiness and night waking could be growth spurt, sickness, developmental...

For me it is hard to say until they actually get teeth. For us it's usually like "aha! That's why you were so fussy last week!" But then my kids have all been 10 months or older before getting chompers...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#7 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Could be teeth, but it could be other stuff too.

Hand chewing is just fun when they realize they can do it and sometimes a sign of hunger. Excess drool can be the body starting to get ready for solids down the line. Grumpiness and night waking could be growth spurt, sickness, developmental...

For me it is hard to say until they actually get teeth. For us it's usually like "aha! That's why you were so fussy last week!" But then my kids have all been 10 months or older before getting chompers...
Ditto pretty much all of this. DS chewed started chewing on his hands around 4 months and didn't get any teeth until 12 months. DD has pretty much been drooling since birth, very odd...but Dr said it's okay. Anyway, I'd be surprised if it was from her getting any teeth.

Mama to three

#8 of 15 Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 PM

My babe is doing the same! I am thinking the teeth are coming - my first got them at 20 weeks and my second got his first at 16 weeks! Tanner is now 16 1/2 weeks.....

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#9 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 10:48 AM

tziporah was born on 21st feb (we weren't expecting her until late march, hence why i'm usually in the march DDC!)... anyway, i apparently got teeth at 3 months...

she has started doing the hand chewing and extra drooling, and on our extra-fussy-without-apparent-cause days, i too wonder if we're headed down the same path. but i think that she is just starting to explore things with her mouth more, as everything that goes near it is shoved in and gummed on for a bit. she may end up with teeth earlier than average, but it doesn't "feel" like teething yet.
#10 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM

DD started drooling at about 3 months, and no teeth until 10.5 months.

DS is also doing all the stuff you mention, but based on DD, I don't expect any teeth for months.

I hope.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#11 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM

We've got teeth. DS was born March 1st, and we saw white spots on his gums at 6 weeks. He started drooling and gnawing his hand around that time too. Now at 11 weeks he's got one tooth that has just cut through, and he's working on another.

My other two didn't get teeth until much later.
#12 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

This is all so interesting, watching him grow. I don't know when those teeth will pop through, but I'll be watching.

#13 of 15 Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 PM

I think I read that you can expect to see extra drool around 3months with all babies, that's when their saliva glands start working better or something?

But I was just posting about this on the other thread. Ben is biting everything really hard, and really acts like he might be teething. Not ready! But then, his big brother always fooled us - we'd think he was teething for months before he actually got any teeth. Once he gets teeth, you'll know he was teething - that's the only way I could ever tell for sure.
#14 of 15 Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
I think I read that you can expect to see extra drool around 3months with all babies, that's when their saliva glands start working better or something?

But I was just posting about this on the other thread. Ben is biting everything really hard, and really acts like he might be teething. Not ready! But then, his big brother always fooled us - we'd think he was teething for months before he actually got any teeth. Once he gets teeth, you'll know he was teething - that's the only way I could ever tell for sure.
So these babies are nothing but tricky! I wanted to try some homeopathic stuff for teething, but I guess I'll never know if he is actually teething until a tooth pops through his gums. Is that how it goes? Aysh!

#15 of 15 Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM

could be teething my dd. caitlin had white lines in her bottom gums when she was first born and had all the teething signs at about 2 mths but didn't cut her first tooth till she was 10 mths.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page