2nd half of May chat thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I thought the other thread might be getting lng with all of this time still left in MAy so here is a new chat thread!

I am spending the wk with my parents and it is so relaxing it is like a vacation! they are helping so much with the baby andloving him up and he is getting so much fresh stimulation and I can REST!!!! DH had to go home and to work (in a different state) so he will get a wk of uninterrupted sleep which he so desrves, my hard working man.
I feel so much better here.I was so isolated with my back out livining in the beautiful boonies. It is nice to be here in civilzation with tons of help! also- turns out my dad's scale was 9 or so pounds off!
#2 of 62 Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds wonderful, Katie! It is so important for new moms to have support and not feel isolated.

My dream is to have just a day of uninterrupted sleep! My dh went away for 4 weeks last Oct (rafting the Co river) so when my baby is old enough for me to be away (realistically not for another 2 years), I've got a vacation coming, woohoo! Dh is going to take our older boys camping for a night this weekend and really, that will be super restful for me, too. Ahhh, naps!!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#3 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I thought the other thread might be getting lng with all of this time still left in MAy so here is a new chat thread!

I am spending the wk with my parents and it is so relaxing it is like a vacation! they are helping so much with the baby andloving him up and he is getting so much fresh stimulation and I can REST!!!! DH had to go home and to work (in a different state) so he will get a wk of uninterrupted sleep which he so desrves, my hard working man.
I feel so much better here.I was so isolated with my back out livining in the beautiful boonies. It is nice to be here in civilzation with tons of help! also- turns out my dad's scale was 9 or so pounds off!
And that's why God created grandparents! I see it now, but had no clue before. My mom was so insistent on coming right after Iago was born. She helped me SO MUCH. I really credit her with the ease of transition from hospital to home. She was so supportive of breastfeeding. I could go on and on... Man, I miss that woman!!!

Poor Katie! That must have been horrible to think you gained 10 pounds! Now go ear something delicious

My family = me + dh & ds +
#4 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok, I am so nervous but today I am taking the plunge and getting a spiral wrap perm. I am getting it done at a teaching salon so it will mean it might take around 6 hours! Crazy! Malachi has yet to take a bottle and they said that he could be brought to me to breastfeed. I am just not looking forward to being apart from him but on the other hand I think it will be super fun to finally have hair that looks decent. Sigh. My DH will be with him and I have pumped if they get in a crazy jam but he can bring him to me anyway.
Four months old today! My bet is he weighs at least 18lbs, we will see!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#5 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM

reposting from the old thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L-F...next=1&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkM11kp_tg

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#6 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Morning! I'm thinking this will be our last chat thread then? I know I found out I was expecting at the end of May...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#7 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Ben keeps biting everything! He really acts like he's teething, but I've told him he has to wait at least another three months...

I'm missing my mom too! She drives me slightly crazy... but she did so many chores! Last week was a difficult one, I actually felt like things were harder than the first six weeks, the ones that are supposed to be hard. But I think I'm getting used to getting things done on my own now. Laundry and dishes are getting washed, and the kitchen isn't the disaster it was last week. So that's good, I can do it after all. Of course, my mom is coming back this week anyway.
#8 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm jealous of all of you that have helpful families...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#9 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

how much help do you all get with your babies? I mean other than your husbands. My husband is awesome with the baby-seriously he does so much. HOwever he also works a full time job.
So there is only so much he can do. So I thought jeez how hard can it be to take care of one little baby. People have mulitple kids and jobs etc. So maybe it is just cause I live so far from everything and spend too much time alone but I am learning that I need a break! sO I am going to get someone to come a few ours a day- it is indulgent but I am finding here with help I am so much more enjoying my baby! When you are utterly exhuasted all the time it is no fun for anyone.
Just a few hrs a day break I am hoping will allow our family to have more of a balnce so life doesn't feel like work 100% of the time.

How much help do you all get other than your dh's? Some lucky people have family close by. I wish my parents lived closer they would help all the time. Dh's family lives clsoer- but still 45 minutes away and they don't come by too much- some, but they are both super busy with their jobs. My folks are retired so they have more time.
#10 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
how much help do you all get with your babies? I mean other than your husbands. My husband is awesome with the baby-seriously he does so much. HOwever he also works a full time job.
So there is only so much he can do. So I thought jeez how hard can it be to take care of one little baby. People have mulitple kids and jobs etc. So maybe it is just cause I live so far from everything and spend too much time alone but I am learning that I need a break! sO I am going to get someone to come a few ours a day- it is indulgent but I am finding here with help I am so much more enjoying my baby! When you are utterly exhuasted all the time it is no fun for anyone.
Just a few hrs a day break I am hoping will allow our family to have more of a balnce so life doesn't feel like work 100% of the time.

How much help do you all get other than your dh's? Some lucky people have family close by. I wish my parents lived closer they would help all the time. Dh's family lives clsoer- but still 45 minutes away and they don't come by too much- some, but they are both super busy with their jobs. My folks are retired so they have more time.
Currently, I get pretty much 0% help w/Juju--including my husband, but I do get help with the older two kids. The worst part for me is just the repetition--Juju is amazing, but I do get bored. I'm hoping to start doula-ing soon, though!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#11 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM

My IL's live 6 miles away and they are always on hand to help. My parents are, too, but I think there's some jealousy there that we now live so much closer to my IL's than them - SUPER long story!

Like tomorrow night, DH and I both have plans for work and my FIL is able to come over and stay with the boys until I get home. It's so nice and I'm super comfortable with it and makes for a nice evening out.

Oh and my DH is great. He's been home the last few days and is willing to get up in the middle of the night/early morning if I request - he takes over with our ODS so that I can spend some quality time with W in the evenings and once W goes to bed, then I can spend time with J. It's been working out pretty well and I get to see all of boys pretty much equally.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#12 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM

I returned back to work full time yesterday so we are getting lots of help as of this week (MIL is living with us for a month and caring for him during the weekdays).

DH works full time and was not able to take any time off after DS was born (self employed, if he doesn't work we don't get money :smile) Before I went back to work my grandma came about 2 times a week to help clean the house or hold DS so I could go outside and garden. I don't think staying home was exhausting in itself, but the monotony got to me - I also had to loosen my standards in regards to home organization and "me" time. I felt guilty that I was bored/tired of spending exclusive time with DS but it did tire me out.

edit to add - we live about 30 mins from my parents and family. My mom comes over anytime we need her although we haven't had her babysit too many times. Last weekend she happened to stop by, DS was just going down for a nap so she encouraged us to go out to lunch while she stayed there. We will have to do that a little more often now that he's getting older.
#13 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
how much help do you all get with your babies?.
None!

: mama to 3 sweet boys, 10/21/03, 2/23/07 and 1/20/10
#14 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM

I really don't get help with the baby, since she really only likes to be with me. My mother-in-law and mom are good for coming by and either doing stuff for me or entertaining her for a little bit at a time while I do stuff.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#15 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

while we are here we are using disposible diapers- ONLY because we took the train and were totally maxed out on what we could carry :cry!
Ugh! No offence at all to anyone who uses them but yech, I hate them! We use these lovely prefold fitteds at home and also other soft cotton fitted dipes. Here we are using the chlorine free blah blah but man do I create tons of garbage in a day! Plus they smell gross to me. Oh well, otherwise being here is great so far. But my baby isn't pooping as much- only once a day and not at all today! HE used to poop 3X a day! (at home). We do EC with him but we didn't bring the baby potty so we are holding him over the regular toilet and while he pees okay in it I think it freaks him out to poop in it- plus maybe the new dipers weird him out? as he isn't pooping much in them either! I hope his belly doesn't hurt.
#16 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM

How much help do I get?
Quite a bit. My parents live about a half hour away, and my mom usually comes over once a week. She plays with and watches my two year old more so than the baby though. Which is how I want it. Then I go to my parents about once a week and there I get a little bit more 'me' time because I don't have to be cleaning while someone is occupying the children. Also - DH works from home, so if both kids are crying a once, he is usually able to take one while I deal with the other. It is soooo nice and I am constantly telling him how much I appreciate it.

Mama to three

#17 of 62 Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
while we are here we are using disposible diapers- ONLY because we took the train and were totally maxed out on what we could carry :cry!
Ugh! No offence at all to anyone who uses them but yech, I hate them! We use these lovely prefold fitteds at home and also other soft cotton fitted dipes. Here we are using the chlorine free blah blah but man do I create tons of garbage in a day! Plus they smell gross to me. Oh well, otherwise being here is great so far. But my baby isn't pooping as much- only once a day and not at all today! HE used to poop 3X a day! (at home). We do EC with him but we didn't bring the baby potty so we are holding him over the regular toilet and while he pees okay in it I think it freaks him out to poop in it- plus maybe the new dipers weird him out? as he isn't pooping much in them either! I hope his belly doesn't hurt.
I hear you on the sposie smell. DH absolutely hates them. We do use them overnight for DS right now because the couple cloth ones we had were giving him a red penis, which he didn't seem to mind, but I did. If you think he is uncomfortable from not pooping, you can always take his temp rectally, that usually did the trick with DS.

Mama to three

#18 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmoonmama View Post
None!
Same here!
I don't even have a breast pump yet, so I can't even go out alone. The thing is I don't really want to either. We have friends here from our prenatal class and they go out alone every week! I like going out to eat at restaurants with Iago. I'm a parent now, my life has changed.

Now, I'd LOVE some help with the housework!!!

My family = me + dh & ds +
#19 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
None!
Partner helps with the baby, while I mow the lawn, plant the garden, prepare dinner, etc. I do not get these things completed though as when Lucy cries he brings her to me!

I do get a precious hour in the morning, where baby stays with dad and I walk my son to school and then go on a longer walk (soon to be run) by myself.

My parents live 4 hours away and his mom lives in Turkey ... so we have to drive (or fly) somewhere if we want extended family help.

I do have a nice group of mom friends from my sons age group, so this socializing is welcomed.

And Lucy is a sweet, sweet "easy" baby. She comes to work with me right now where we can interact for a bit, then she naps and I do some work.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#20 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post
Same here!

Now, I'd LOVE some help with the housework!!!
Yes to this! A little cooperation keeping the place tidy!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#21 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
how much help do you all get with your babies?
Pretty much none with the baby. I had a mother's helper a few hours a day the first week home from the hospital because DH had to go back to work, but that was it. My MIL will take the girls out for a few hours once or twice a month, leaving the boys with me.

With DH, with Caleb I'd say it's about 90% me/10% him. Especially since I'm BFing. I don't think he's even done one of his diapers yet. He will hold him if he's upset and I'm busy, but it doesn't last long.

With the older three I'd say it's more like 75% me/25% him. I am lucky in the fact that he gets home mid-afternoon, so there is a window of time that I can go out of the house and get errands run without taking all four - I always take Caleb and usually take one other. For example I had a doctor's appointment yesterday to get my wrist looked at, so I just took Caleb. When I do grocery shopping I take Caleb and one other, tomorrow it will be Shane's turn. For things like baths, feeding, etc. around the house it is 90% me.

#22 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Other than DH, who is home at about 4:30 pm, I don't have "help". DD goes to school in the mornings, so we get up, I get her fed and dressed an on the school bus, then I have the mornings with just me and DS, and then DD comes home at 12:30 - it's just us until DH is home. Our closest relatives, my parents, are a 45 minute drive, and they only live here May through October - otherwise they're on Vancouver Island.

So I'm pretty much on my own from the time I get up until about 4:30-5pm. I have to be honest, I don't find it that difficult. Some days we all stay home, and other days I'll run errands in the morning - much more difficult with a 4-year-old in tow. I find the days speed by, and when DH comes home, he hangs out with DD and/or makes supper about half the time.

Disposable diaper smell makes me gag. I use a sposie on DS at night about half the week, if he needs slathering with barrier cream, and blech. I can't even have Pampers in the house, the perfume is so strong, but they all smell pretty gross after they've been used. We are carting our stash of cloth down to our IL's when we visit in a couple of weeks - I can't stand using sposies.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#23 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

3 month professional pics:

visit http://www.collages.net, and fill in the following information:

Username: Caleb Month 3
Password: 6223

#24 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
3 month professional pics:

visit http://www.collages.net, and fill in the following information:

Username: Caleb Month 3
Password: 6223
SUPER cute!!! I just love that little outfit you've chosen for him. I scheduled W's 3month pics the other day for June 6th. I can't wait.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#25 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Juju is getting so FAT, I love it. It's from formula, but I'm just so happy to finally see her growing. She is 5 months old today, and I'd guess around...13ish lbs? She is wearing size 6-mo clothing, but she definitely looks and acts like a 3-mo-old--perfectly in-tune w/her developmental age. Sometimes I get teary-eyed when I remember how tiny and skinny she used to be. Now she's sturdy and round--a real butterball. LOVE this little girl!!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#26 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 PM

always nakking, having trouble posting, but loving to read about the LOs

worth is turning into a chub, all thighs and squishy cuteness i feel like i'm eating like a horse but i'm hungry all the time, and i guess he's just sucking up all my calories. here are some recent pics on blog.

nicole i could only see the first pic w/o typing in all my info, but it was a cute pic! i'll look at the rest when i have 2 hands.

re: help. my parents live nearby, so i feel like i have lots of support, but not in the someone-holds-my-baby-while-i-do-other-things way. i do get babysitting for my older kid, though, from my dad. for when i have appointments or what have you. he's been watching her for a couple hours 2x per week, once while i take ds to a new baby playgroup and once while i drive refugees to medical appointments (i take ds w/ me).

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#27 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks guys. I think he looks like a little old man still, LOL.

#28 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

aramat Iam so glad Juju is a chubby little baby now! Because of following your story and her birth story, even though I don't know you guys IRL I feel a special fondness for her! Such a trooper and it is so lovely that she is turning out so good and chubby and strong. I am so happy for you

So my MDC friends- let's make sure we start a thread in Life with a babe and that everyone knows how to find it so we can all keep in touch still!
#29 of 62 Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
how much help do you all get with your babies?
None. We have no family in town. Actually, our immediate families are 16+ hours away. Not that I think I would get real help if we were closer. Lots of family came the first 2 weeks after he was born and just created more work for me to do after they left--extra linens to wash, etc.

Quote:
So my MDC friends- let's make sure we start a thread in Life with a babe and that everyone knows how to find it so we can all keep in touch still!
We need a thread. I don't feel like I'd be able to maintain one, but if no one else starts one before we get booted, I'll make one in Life with a Babe.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#30 of 62 Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
None. We have no family in town. Actually, our immediate families are 16+ hours away. Not that I think I would get real help if we were closer. Lots of family came the first 2 weeks after he was born and just created more work for me to do after they left--extra linens to wash, etc.

We need a thread. I don't feel like I'd be able to maintain one, but if no one else starts one before we get booted, I'll make one in Life with a Babe.
I can help maintain it

OH and no help here seeing as my family is thousands of miles away!!!

Mommy to one champagne.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page