must haves - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, after my last baby, I gave away everything! We thought we were done and I didn't want to keep it if we weren't going to need it.

This pregnancy is feeling like the first all over again.

What are the things that are must haves on your baby shopping list?

I want to get an Amby (had one with the last baby and LOVED it), new cloth diaper stash, baby swing (all four of my kids loved theirs) and I am planning on making multiple baby carriers (I have a minor obsession, you could say).

March seems so far away!

Laura ~ Mom to K, R, M, C & coming in March '10~ Midwife to Many
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 07:07 PM

I am in the same boat. I have nothing anymore. I am going to need everything!! I have a 9yo and a 14yo!!!, and I will have a 10 and 15yo when this new one comes (providing it is a sticky)

Really, the only must haves are a nursing pillow, and cloth dipes (unless you are going sposie) I will probably do a combination of both. A comfy rocking chair.

Plenty of clothes, onesies and gowns and hats, etc (the fun stuff to shop for )

swaddling blankets

This is for the first year. I am having a hard time thinking about other things, I am a minimalist, but have always ended up wit alot of extra stuff that people have gifted me with.

I will be watching this thread for ideas.

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Oh yeah, sling!! ( I see you said that)

I had a swing with my dd, she liked it somewhat, but we didn't use it much. I would be open to it this time.

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 PM

I have cloth diapers and a new sling on my (rapidly growing) list too, side-snap shirts, a new boppy (for nursing), and a new car seat--the one we used for the girls expires at the end of this year!

mel, silly mama to cordelia (9), emmeline (8),
leone (2), & arthur (born 1.17.2013)

#5 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM

I will also be starting completely fresh!! How crazy!! My son will be almost 11 when the baby comes and every thing has changed since then...IDK what I am going to get!! I am so excited about it though! So much to think about!!

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
#6 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

My dh just picked up a like new Amby from Craigslist for only $50! I am so excited! I have never bought anything this early with my other pregnancies, but when I saw the deal, I couldn't pass it up.

Laura ~ Mom to K, R, M, C & coming in March '10~ Midwife to Many
#7 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM

We had a lot of hand me down stuff for DS. We kept most of it, but there are a few things I want to upgrade this time.

1. New bouncy seat- ours broke and a friend is giving me hers, yay!
2. New swing. DS loved the swing and I figure with 2 kids I am going to need to use it this time around
3. Double stroller. Sadly, the one I want is realllly expensive. Since DH just got laid off that one probably won't happen.

I am sewing most of my cloth diapers. I am also going to sew a wrap-style carrier. I would love an Ergo but again with DH being laid off, probably won't happen. We have plenty of clothes, so we are good there.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#8 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#9 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM

1babysmom, I would love to see the tutorial. I sew mei tais for my sewing business, so I know how to sew them, but I was worried about the buckles. The buckles obiously need to be really strong, and I didn't want to buy cheapy buckles from a craft store, yk?

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#10 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#11 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#12 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The only "need" we have is a new carseat. I'm so lost on what to get....

Wants? I want to make a new ring sling (though my 'oldie' is still beautiful! It was one of the earlier things I ever sewed and it's held up SOOOO beautifully!) and a new mei tai even... I need to make some more diapers... postpartum cloth... and maybe some breatpads (I might just buy those though.. I want to have SOME splurge for me!).

Oh, I NEEEEEEED new nursing bras!! I had only TWO had I had with dd3. Two, VERY crappy, ratty, tatty things... and dd3 nursed for 40 months!! (in fact, she just weaned two months ago!)... I want fancy, sexy nursing bras! In the last year or so I've lost quite a bit of weight and gotten more... fancy

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#13 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post
The only "need" we have is a new carseat. I'm so lost on what to get....

Wants? I want to make a new ring sling (though my 'oldie' is still beautiful! It was one of the earlier things I ever sewed and it's held up SOOOO beautifully!) and a new mei tai even... I need to make some more diapers... postpartum cloth... and maybe some breatpads (I might just buy those though.. I want to have SOME splurge for me!).

Oh, I NEEEEEEED new nursing bras!! I had only TWO had I had with dd3. Two, VERY crappy, ratty, tatty things... and dd3 nursed for 40 months!! (in fact, she just weaned two months ago!)... I want fancy, sexy nursing bras! In the last year or so I've lost quite a bit of weight and gotten more... fancy

GOOd one! Yes i really need to think about nursing bras. I tried to buypretty sexy ones last time and they were cr*p! They fell apart. Of course I probably didn't wash them properly. I'd love suggestions on brands though.

I'm w/several others above. we thought we were done too. I got rid of car seat, crib, exasaucer, and swing! However, I LOVE my slings so I never gave those up and I still have maternity clothes and most baby clothes. I'm super attached to those!

btw what's an amby?

Mandy, mama to Z (DD 1/00), E : (DD 8/03), M (DS 7/05), and baby #4 (due mid or late 3/10!!)
#14 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Here's an Amby: http://www.ambybaby.com/

I've never had one. I'm sure they're amazing... but since I'm completely ignorant to their joys.. my checkbook would probably prefer I stay that way! lol

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#15 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 AM

We checked out the Amby with our last baby but chose the Happy Hang-up Baby Hammock instead. It's made in Australia but sometimes they sell them on ebay a little cheaper. It's beautiful and functional, hanging right from the ceiling beam. google it but here are pictures of Bjorn at a month old in it:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/DSCN7695.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/DSCN7646.jpg

He slept in it until he could roll over in it...about 6 months...right next to our bed. But it can be hung low to the ground for toddlers to climb into as the weight limit is like 40 lbs.

For me, the Bravado nursing bras, though spendy, held up super well and I still wear them all the time!!!!

This wasn't necessary but it was sweet and he often fell asleep in it if I just rocked it or bounced it a bit.

I couldn't live without the Maya Wrap ring sling as my babies are very big and chunky and are miserably squished in New Native type slings. They like to be held in the sling upright on my chest which is comfy for me too

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page