Carseats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I feel odd here, since I'm a veteran mama and this is my 5th...but I've been thinking about just getting a convertable carseat for this one and not getting an infant carseat (unless we're gifted one). I pretty much always got with Britax for my convertable, which I know are mostly rated to 5 pounds.

I dont know...its just my fiance pretty much always wants to carry the baby (ie, my ds that's almost a year old) and I know he'll want to carry the new one even more. I also see how an infant carseat is handy when they fall asleep and really NEED that nap-taking them out for me always wakes them up. But I just dont know if I can justify buying a new one. Oh, and I have a nice one as is, its only a year old and goes to 30lbs (Chicco KeyFit 30) but my ex has the base and I doubt he'll give it back. The extra bases for it are $70!! ACK!

I dont know what to do and it annoys me...I'm being so indicisive....so, what are your plans?

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 PM

We'll likely buy a new infant seat, even though it's a bit wasteful. Our original infant seat will be about 4.5-5 years old by the March, so in theory, we could use it. However, it's been stored in the garage, there have been heat fluctuations, etc. Not to mention the fact that I was never terribly fond of it in the first place. My parents bought it for us and it's Winnie the Pooh. I have disliked Winnie the Pooh since I was 3 years old. It was an odd choice.

We did think about going directly to the Marathon, but have chosen not to. Technically the Marathon is rated down to 5 pounds, but after seeing how my 11 pound infants floated in that big seat I'm just not comfortable with it. I figure we'll get an infant seat and use it for a few months and then donate it to a friend.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#3 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 PM

I've been doing a lot of research and trying to consider all the pros and cons of infant vs convertible seat. I *think* for fit reasons, being able to let your LO nap if they really need it and not having to wake them to transition to a holding position, DP and I are going with an infant seat. I have read that they can get uncomfortable for larger babies, but we'll just switch to a rear facing convertible seat that we'll eventually turn front facing. I think I would feel a little uncomfortable seeing my baby in a huge seat, but there are little pads/fitted cushions and such that can be used in convertibles.

I do have a side thought about the fact that you'll have two little ones. IMO, it would be great to have an infant seat for a few reasons. One is in case your 1 yo really needs attention and say you're shopping for example.. you can hold you older one and keep baby in the seat. Another is if your 1yo really can't stay in the car and baby needs to rest. If you've already decided that these won't be issues then great I was just thinking about what I would personally do and thought it might be helpful.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#4 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a baby bucket (ahem, infant seat) we'll be using if we can fit it in the back of my pontiac vibe with the other two carseats. If not, we'll buy a third radian and have three radians across.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I loathe bucket seats... I really do...

That said, I live in Wyoming. In February/March it's COLD out!! I would completely go with convertible seat if it weren't for the cold. But I simply can't fathom taking out a tiny newborn in subzero temps (if they're still that cold... we had a totally long winter this past year, so who knows!) and then placing the itty bitty newborn in an ice cold seat. I know I could always warm up the van, but it takes too long and is such a waste of gas and emissions.

So... now to decide on a bucket.... *sigh*

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#7 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

I dont see shopping and whatnot as being an issue since I'm with my fiance 99% of the time-so 4 hands instead of 2-and if I do go out without him, its when my other kids are at their dads house. In that case, I'd just have the baby and possibly my eldest (he doesnt like visiting his uh...step dad? Former step dad? Anyway...I have him a lot when the other kids are gone). I can't go anywhere alone with all the kids, let alone with a newbie too!

Anywho, I'm going to try and convince my ex to give me the danged base back when my ds is out of the carseat (he was a preemie and he's still pretty small, so he still fits in it pretty well atm). If he doesnt, I either have to deal with no base (blarg), get a new infant carseat, or get a britax. I think I will get an infant seat though....I started thinking about it and I agree, a newborn would just be swallowed by a Marathon (or even one of the smaller ones, like a Roundabout).

#9 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
If he doesnt, I either have to deal with no base (blarg), get a new infant carseat, or get a britax.
I think in your situation, I'd buy a new base and not a new seat. The KeyFit is such a great seat and any other seat, even the not so great ones, will cost about the same as the new base for the KeyFit. JMHO.

I started DS3 in a Marathon. He didn't fit properly (straps above his shoulders) and I didn't realize it until he was three weeks old and I took the head support out of the seat (!). I bought a Graco SnugRide that very day. The snugride is currently loaned out to a friend and I noticed some stress marks on the handle the other day, not sure what from. I'm not sure if I'll use it again (technically it's still safe, but the stress marks are freaking me out). If I don't use it, I'm not sure if I'll buy an infant seat or a convertible. I liked having the infant seat in the cold weather, but in March, it'll be getting pretty steamy here already and it may not be necessary.

I have a while to decide, so I'm not going to stress myself out over it.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#10 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Nah, if I get a new infant carseat, it'll most likely either come from my future in-laws (this is my fiance's moms first grandbaby and from what they both say, she'll most likely go a bit overboard in buying stuff for us, lol) or I'll be getting a used one off of Craigslist (ie not really new). I do agree the Chicco KeyFit is very nice and obviously goes pretty close to what they say (ds is 27.5 inches long and 28 pounds and still fits quite nicely), although I dont like the fabric. It makes him sweat soooo much, especially right now. Beyond that I really like it though.

Oh and as for stress marks in the handle, my Chicco is doing that too. I have no idea why, as its never been used heavily. I was actually thinking about calling them and seeing what they say, but I dunno...should I? Maybe I could get a free base out of it

#11 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I plan to do the traditional "bucket" infant seat then go to like the Marathon or something else that will harness to at least 65lbs and that will safely rear face till at least age 2. We started out with just a convertable seat the roundabout with our DD and she totally swam in it no matter how we adjusted it. She plain did not look safe and by the next day had bought an infant seat. I have back issues and couldn't always carry so used a stroller quite a bit so we just ended up with a travel system and it gots lots of good use.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#12 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM

We've done the bucket to 20lbs then moved to a Britax Boulevarde. Both boys are still RF in their Boulevardes now. My bucket still has a couple of years on it and I figgure we'll follow the same pattern. We've had the grandparents go in halfsies with us for Boulevardes as first b-day pressents both times and it's worked out well. (plus I'm not entirely sure another Boulevarde will fit RF in our car at the moment, and DS1 is in the 31lb range, so he's still got to gain about 5lbs before he can go FF...no clue how long that'll take).

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#13 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 AM

we did the bucket and I'm glad we had it. I got one used from a local momma ($30 maybe) and then I also go an extra base for free when I requested one on freecycle from another local mom. I know some people won't do a used car seat at all, but I will when I get to talk to the people who owned them and trust they're being honest about how long and no accidents. It was a great option for us to get the seat affordable that we used for 6 months before she grew out of it.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#14 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

I also have a chico key fit 30 and plan on using that. It lasted us over a yeart with DS2, hoping the same for this nugget.

DS2 was a December baby had he been a March-August baby I would have gone convertable. Once it hits the cold months though it's nice to be able to not pull that sweet snuggly body out of a warm seat into the cold air to bring them inside.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#15 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 PM

This is my 1st baby so I don't have a carseat or anything. I do want to get both an infant seat and a convertible. I don't like buckets either, but in my opinion most newborns are so small that they need an infant seat.

jog.gifkid.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page