Cars for 3+ Kids? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What has your experience been with the tires so far? I was hearing from some folks that they didn't like the run flat tires on the AWD Sienna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
I've heard that the Odyssey only has two tether points, which is going to be important for those of us who will have more than two children in seats that need to be tethered.
The 2008 Odyssey has 5 tethers. One for every seat in the back except the "jump seat" thing that can't fit a car seat on it.

Mama of three.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM

We have an 05 Ody. We bought when we were thinking of having #2, mostly because we have a pop up camper and DH wanted to sell his truck and buy a small commuter car. The ody can pull our camper, we have enough room for the two kids and our dog (who also camps/travels w/ us quite a bit), and we often take my parents (retirees) places during the week.

I love having power sliding doors w/ kids. My 5.5 year old loads himself and buckles independently in his carseat, so it is nice to not have to worry about him slamming his door into the car next to us. The sliding doors also give better visibility in parking lots when you are loading/unloading and trying to keep track of kids.

There were definitely some transmission problems in the past, particularly certain model years (like 02-04 or thereabouts...) so just be aware of that if you buy used.

we liked the Sienna but when we were buying, in order to upgrade some of the things that were must haves for us (leather interior) we had to upgrade to a bunch of things we didn't want or need. To get some of the things we wanted, we would have had to upgrade to their most expensive accessories package, so the price was too much. I don't know how the packages compare these days though. Our Ody has leather, sunroof, 6 CD changer, power doors, side curtain airbags. However, the price was lowered a bit because we skipped things like DVD player, navigation system, etc. kwim?

Yeah, I never thought we'd own a mini van either but it fits our needs at this point in our lives. I don't regret it at all. For us the extra space was nice even with only 2 kids since we tow, we drive my parents around, have a big dog (and take road trips that are 9 hours to visit family 1-2x a year, etc. w/ dog, kids, luggage, etc.).

eta: there were really helpful forums for me at Odyclub.com and the Edmunds vehicle sites. They helped me come up with a target price-we did our negotiating online and it went really well and saved a LOT of money. We found out what other people were paying in our region and just kept emailing dealers and getting better and better prices.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the posts here. I think I am actually putting off my decision to get a car for now. I thought our car would qualify for the cash for clunkers program, but it didn't, so I might just keep driving the one I have for now. It's still running! I want a newer car because I want the safety features of a newer car, like better airbags, etc (my car is 15 years old). But at the same time, I'm having a hard time justifying spending the money when my car still runs. There are some things going wrong with it now though, which is why I started looking, but it still starts.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of... yesterday I just went and looked at the new highlander... Holy cow, talk about a lack of trunk space. No way could I even get our sit-n-stand stroller in there! Guess that one's out. Too bad, too, because the fuel efficiency was pretty good on the low-end model...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Just wanted to drop an ad for Subarus. There is a Legacy Wagon that is nice and wide as well as has a huge cargo space and the Forrester is about the same, just slightly smaller. We've only put two kids in the Wagon, but it was definitely big enough across. And a friend of mine had two carseats and a booster in her Forrester. The cargo space in either car is big enough for our two medium and one giant sized dogs. Both cars are capable of towing up to 1500lbs, though not very fast and I wouldn't recommend taking a heavy load into the mountains, but they'll do it. The gas mileage is in the low to mid twenties, but Subaru also does a lot in its manufacturing to make the cars "greener" and the higher price tag is offset by cars that will perform well up to 200,000 miles and beyond. If you live in a small town, check on local service shops, because apparently subarus are put together differently than like every other car on the road, so you need someone who knows what they're doing.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:25 PM

I had a subaru that was a total lemon I liked the car, but the service I had to do on it (on bizarre issues) was too much and soured me to them. I also strongly dislike our subaru dealer, otherwise I'd consider it. they don't have a 3rd row, though, do they?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I had a subaru that was a total lemon I liked the car, but the service I had to do on it (on bizarre issues) was too much and soured me to them. I also strongly dislike our subaru dealer, otherwise I'd consider it. they don't have a 3rd row, though, do they?
Ditto.

We actually had 4 Subarus. Three we loved.

Our '07? Legacy wagon was so sucky that we traded it in within the year. As far as room goes, my husband is over 6' and he had a real tough time with the rear facing infant in the middle seat.

Sorry to rag on Subaru, but their quality plummeted. They switched out many metal parts for cheaper, plastic parts. It would take a lot for me to recommend a new one. Now the older, used ones...that's another story!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Speaking of... yesterday I just went and looked at the new highlander... Holy cow, talk about a lack of trunk space. No way could I even get our sit-n-stand stroller in there! Guess that one's out. Too bad, too, because the fuel efficiency was pretty good on the low-end model...

Darn, I was kind of leaning back towards that one again. There seemed like there was a lot of space in the seat area though. But we really need that third rear seat. So if there's no cargo space when you have that up, it might not be the one to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathan12904 View Post
Just wanted to drop an ad for Subarus. There is a Legacy Wagon that is nice and wide as well as has a huge cargo space and the Forrester is about the same, just slightly smaller. We've only put two kids in the Wagon, but it was definitely big enough across. And a friend of mine had two carseats and a booster in her Forrester. The cargo space in either car is big enough for our two medium and one giant sized dogs. Both cars are capable of towing up to 1500lbs, though not very fast and I wouldn't recommend taking a heavy load into the mountains, but they'll do it. The gas mileage is in the low to mid twenties, but Subaru also does a lot in its manufacturing to make the cars "greener" and the higher price tag is offset by cars that will perform well up to 200,000 miles and beyond. If you live in a small town, check on local service shops, because apparently subarus are put together differently than like every other car on the road, so you need someone who knows what they're doing.
I had a Subaru hatchback in college, loved that car. I put a gazillion miles on it. Is there anything with a third seat though?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Would you let reviews about a dealer sway which brand car you buy?

I'm kind of divided between Honda and Toyota, but I've heard some negative feedback about the service dept at one of those dealers near me, and there's only one of each in our town.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Just wanted to throw in a bid for the Chevy Uplander.

It seats 7, has LATCH in the middle row captain's chairs, plus tethers, and a tether in the middle rear position. Rear bench is a 50/50 split and the seats are ridiculously easy to fold down/remove if necessary. We get appx 25mpg hwy which isn't too bad considering it's a minivan.

We have so much cargo space! Looks are deceiving. We can get our double stroller and our weekly groceries for a family of 6 (which is a lot ) in there, or the stroller + the bag of soccer balls, rugby kit and various kids accoutrement.

It's been a great vehicle, and the price is reasonable, IMO. We got an '08 for just over $13K. It had about 14K miles on it when we got it.

Here it is.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Yes. I won't buy from the subaru/jeep/can't remember the other thing dealer in our town because their service department likes to rip me off. No thank you... been there, done that. Luckily, though, I got a great garage in the city that is just awesome. We found him on cartalk.com... they used to have a place on there where you could rate garages... maybe they still do. They have a lot of info on there.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Just wanted to throw in a bid for the Chevy Uplander.

It seats 7, has LATCH in the middle row captain's chairs, plus tethers, and a tether in the middle rear position. Rear bench is a 50/50 split and the seats are ridiculously easy to fold down/remove if necessary. We get appx 25mpg hwy which isn't too bad considering it's a minivan.

We have so much cargo space! Looks are deceiving. We can get our double stroller and our weekly groceries for a family of 6 (which is a lot ) in there, or the stroller + the bag of soccer balls, rugby kit and various kids accoutrement.

It's been a great vehicle, and the price is reasonable, IMO. We got an '08 for just over $13K. It had about 14K miles on it when we got it.

Here it is.
OMG. that's cheap. :

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
OMG. that's cheap. :
Yeah it is.

We really do love the van. I had a Ford Windstar that was totaled in March when we were rear-ended (a Mazda Protege bent the frame on the van...ridiculous) which I really liked, but I find the Uplander rides so much better and there's so much more interior space for the kids. I can comfortably get our Graco Nautilus, Graco backless booster and our 9 1/2 year old (no carseat) across the back seat. There's also enough room between the two captain's chairs that DH or I can comfortably kneel/sit on the floor to soothe a kiddo or lay a kid down to change a diaper (when not moving, of course).

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
There's also enough room between the two captain's chairs that DH or I can comfortably kneel/sit on the floor to soothe a kiddo or lay a kid down to change a diaper (when not moving, of course).
I was just skimming the thread and didn't read this clearly. I had to do a double take because I thought you said "there's enough room between the catain's chairs that dh or I can comfortably lay down" Before the double take I thought I hope they pull over for that.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
I was just skimming the thread and didn't read this clearly. I had to do a double take because I thought you said "there's enough room between the catain's chairs that dh or I can comfortably lay down" Before the double take I thought I hope they pull over for that.
Well, there's probably enough room for that too, but we would of course pull over.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
:

I hadn't even heard of the Chevy Uplander. I hear so much about Toyota and Honda that I think I was limiting myself there. That looks like a good option to consider though.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
:

I hadn't even heard of the Chevy Uplander. I hear so much about Toyota and Honda that I think I was limiting myself there. That looks like a good option to consider though.
I hadn't either, nor had anyone I've ever met. Friends and family knew we were car shopping and when we told them what we got they said, "a what?"

User Tag List