reading recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all.

just wondering what you are reading as you prepare for your new arrival. I just finished "your best birth", the rikki lake and abby epstein follow-up to "the business of being born". last pregnancy I loved "ina may's guide to childbirth" and "birthing from within". I also appreciated "happiest baby on the block" once my critter finally arrived. what else should I check out? what books (or movies or articles) have meant the most to you during pregnancy?

I am new to this forum, so I guess I should introduce myself as well. I am a mama to a lively 13 month old boy, delivered in a hospital with a midwife. aiming for a home birth for this one, due march 24. we currently live in alberta, canada, but are eagerly anticipating our move back to NC this fall. glad to have the support of you lovely wise women.

wendy
#2 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM

well, i was reading ina may's "guide to childbirth" and nina planck's "real food for mother and baby" but I decided to take a break from pregnancy books so I'm reading Tom Robbins' short writings "wild ducks flying backwards" right now and then I'm moving on to "mole people". I think I'll wait a month and then continue on the pregnancy book run. Nina Planck's book is great. She is really down to earth and makes pre-natal and post-natal nutrition seem less overwhelming. I also have "your pregnancy week by week" given to me by my sister. That one has some little bits of useful information but most of it is all about everything that IS going to go wrong so I have to limit my intake.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#4 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Another Alberta mama! There are now three of us in this DDC! (Even though you're leaving... it still counts for a little while. )

Later on in pregnancy, I recommend that my clients read "Adventures in Natural Childbirth". It's a book made up entirely of really positive birth stories, and can be helpful later in pregnancy to put you in a good birthing headspace.

Here's a list of what I have in my lending library, if you want to take a peek for some ideas.

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#5 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the midst of Birthing from Within and recently finished "real food for babies and moms"

I learned most from surfing MDC, I think though...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM

My favourite books were:

Pregnancy, Childbirth & Newborn

The Birth Partner

Spiritual Midwifery (which I thought was more fun to read than the Guide to Childbirth - I reread it over and over in the days & during my labor!)

Good luck!!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#7 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM

I plan to read "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" this time around. I've heard really good things about it but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#8 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegMomma View Post
Later on in pregnancy, I recommend that my clients read "Adventures in Natural Childbirth". It's a book made up entirely of really positive birth stories, and can be helpful later in pregnancy to put you in a good birthing headspace.

My birth story is in that book . I love it!!

For someone planning a hospital birth, I like The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

And for everyone I like Birthing From Within, especially the chapters on dads and on coping techniques.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 02:15 PM

I liked Ina May's guide.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#10 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Ina May and Henci Goer are great.

Here's a few more...
Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. Hilarious and touching anecdotes of Ms. Vincent's experiences delivering babies at home.

Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf. An expose of the misconceptions many women have about the "defective body", the medical birthing industry and becoming a mother.

Pushed by Jennifer Block. "Block looks into a growing contingent of parents-to-be exploring alternatives to the hospital-and the attendant likelihood of medical intervention-by seeking out birthing centers and options for home-birth.
#11 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_mom View Post
Ina May and Henci Goer are great.

Here's a few more...
Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. Hilarious and touching anecdotes of Ms. Vincent's experiences delivering babies at home.
Yes! There were a few stories that were hard to get through, but so good to see the full range of homebirth experiences!

I too loved Real Food for Mother and Baby!

Blessed to be married to my awesome husband since 2006.
Mama to Aidan Robert (Valentine's Day 2008) and Cora Ruth (3-13-2010) :
#12 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM

If you like history I really enjoy Birth The suprising history of how we are born. I love history!

Another vote for Ina May's Guide to childbirth. I like Spirtual Midwifery but there is a couple stories that were harder to read, I'd say Ina May's is softer and a bit more "mainstream" as far mainstream as Ina May can go . I'm finding the birth partner to be so full of fabulous information that I'm going to have DH read it. Ina May was a bit too much for him.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Heart & Hands warning there is a birth story in there that made me cry my eyes out.

If you plan to birth in a hospital I think The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is a MUST!

I enjoyed Pushed but it's very much about the politics of birth.

Birthing From Within is very artsy so if you're a creative soul it would probably be fabulous for you. It was wonderful for helping me work through birth trauma. I think it's wonderful that the author talks about her experience having a c-section with her first even though she knew everything to prevent it, and having a wonderful second experience.

Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering is enjoyable as well.

If you go to www.childbirthinternational.com anything on their recommended reading list won't steer you wrong.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#13 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM

I highly recommend the Bradley Method books. Even though I didn't do the literal position they recommend, I found it so useful.
#14 of 14 Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 AM

Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book. Love it.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page