hindsight warning for all you raw apple cider vinegar drinkers (x-posted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have probably said about a million times how I am constantly drinking the stuff. Three 4 oz servings per day to be specific. And I have been drinking it straight, neat -- whatever.

Anyhow, this morning, I drank it, and my throat closed up -- I couldn't breathe for a few seconds -- it was terrifying. So, then I looked it up because I can't function without it. Although breathing *is* pretty much at the top of my priorities.

So, I read in a few different places that you should never drink it like I did, undiluted. It can cause serious burns. My throat still really hurts, and my voice is quite hoarse.

I am going to take it again, only when my DH is home, and diluted in quite a bit of water with some honey to protect my throat. And at probably half the regular amount.

Anyway, please be careful. It is great stuff, but man that was a scary deal.

Oh, I am taking it for nausea for those of you unfamiliar. Also, I normally have insane heartburn by this time, and I have NONE whatsoever. Plus, I am super duper regular. Love that. So, you can see why I can't be without it.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#2 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Yikes... I am glad you are okay! Must be true love if you are going to begin again tonight
I like to take garlic elixir that has raw vinegar, honey, and garlic in it. I get it from Red Moon Herbs, but somewhere out there there is is recipe for making it yourself. Although I don't know if the garlic would counteract with the nausea...

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#3 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanx for the PSA. That sounds scary! I haven't ever taken much of it straight, but sometimes when I'm making something I will take a quick swig from the bottle

Usually I have a couple tbls with about 8oz water and some honey. Like you said it's wonderful for your body, but man it tastes so good too!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM

oh no, that sounds really scary! Glad you are ok though.

I am really intrigues about the health benefits of it, what's that all about?
I use just regular acv on my hair as a rinse, and love in salads, but what are the benefits of drinking like in shots?

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#5 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post
oh no, that sounds really scary! Glad you are ok though.

I am really intrigues about the health benefits of it, what's that all about?
I use just regular acv on my hair as a rinse, and love in salads, but what are the benefits of drinking like in shots?
Well, please don't drink it straight in shots as I did. I was doing it fine for a while, and then, BAM! I couldn't breathe. Please dilute it like the other ladies are doing. I just used shots b/c it was convenient since I drink it, like, ALLLLLL the time.

It helps me with my constant, low-grade nausea, and really curbs the vomiting, as well. Because it is raw, it contains the "mother," which has lots of great fermented probiotics, so it helps with digestion in two ways -- probiotics help to pre-digest food, and the acid aids your stomach in breaking down your foods, as well.

I don't know exactly how (the probiotics, I think?), but it also makes me very regular, and my stools are very comfortable, as well. If you are constipated, that can exacerbate nausea.

Many people experience heartburn because they are *low*, not high in stomach acid. I only experience heartburn in pregnancy, but I have it usually the whole time, and it is so, so bad. With the ACV, I have not had even one tiny second of heartburn. I love that!

So, I am definitely going to keep taking it, but very dilute, of course!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you are okay!!!! And thanks for the head's up!

So 2 Tbls per 8 oz of water is the norm? I have had this stuff in my refrigerator for a long time and just didn't know WHY I bought it! Does it help anything if you just drink it once a day or does it need to be 3 x's??

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#7 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM

whew! glad you are okay, too. my husband swears by the stuff, both for colds adn for joint pain, although I do not know the actual research on the joint pain part.

and hooray for the red moon herbs shout out, mamakk! we are moving back to asheville soon, and it is so nice to see those little reminders of home

wendy
#8 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailGrace View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you are okay!!!! And thanks for the head's up!

So 2 Tbls per 8 oz of water is the norm? I have had this stuff in my refrigerator for a long time and just didn't know WHY I bought it! Does it help anything if you just drink it once a day or does it need to be 3 x's??
According to the Bragg's vinegar folks it's 2 tsp, but I love the flavor and get more benefit by using 2 tbls.
I guess 3x per day wouldn't hurt, but I just drink it once a day on average. Oh and I drink it in the a.m.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#9 of 15 Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
According to the Bragg's vinegar folks it's 2 tsp, but I love the flavor and get more benefit by using 2 tbls.
I guess 3x per day wouldn't hurt, but I just drink it once a day on average. Oh and I drink it in the a.m.
I agree, plus I am cutting way back myself. It is just that I got so much relief that perhaps I overdid it! I only had the one dose yesterday, and I seem to be at about the same level of nausea.

I want to thank everyone for being so kind to me about my big mistake. We have the best DDC ever!

Yesterday, I bought 3 different floradixes since I got so much better on the herbal iron. I bought more iron, a multivitamin, and a calcium magnesium supplement b/c my hair is falling out! Nice! I will let everyone know how that helps. I am going to do a long, crazy post with nutritional musings in I'm Pregnant. As you might imagine, I spend hours every day pondering the whys and hows of my ridiculous nausea.

#10 of 15 Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
II will let everyone know how that helps. I am going to do a long, crazy post with nutritional musings in I'm Pregnant. As you might imagine, I spend hours every day pondering the whys and hows of my ridiculous nausea.
Well, I would definitely enjoy that! I'm pretty new to herbs and such. I didn't grow up with it nor was I introduced to it until 7 years ago. And even that was hard because I didn't know anyone to suggest things.

Btw, I am taking the Cal/Mag and I don't know about hair but it helped my back/joint pain from the wreck I had back in March.

Thanks again for the vinegar insight... I'm starting me and one of my sons on it today!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#11 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Just went a got a bottle, and will start tomorrow!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#12 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM

So I got some and I don't know it it's just me but I don't like it. I like the way it smells from far away but drinking it is hard. Any suggestions for getting it in, I want to prevent heartburn cause I had it so bad last pregnancy.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#13 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Right of Passage, I drink it in a cup of water, at least 3 tsp. of vinegar. They recommend 1-2 tsp, but I *need* much more just to get by. I have to tell you that I HATE DRINKING IT. But, it is so, so, so effective. It is milder in the water, and I can still drink it sort of fast. Maybe it would be better in lemonade or limeade. I still have NO heartburn, and I am the heartburn queen from very early on, I assure you. I am taking the ACV 2 times per day. I am not going to mix it with honey as they suggest -- too much trouble, and it sounds yucky, anyway. I even wondered about mixing it with Coke! But, I didn't try that b/c I didn't want to decrease its efficacy.

Good luck, I hope it can really help with you.

#14 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM

That's how I tried it 2tsp in a glass of water. It felt like I was drinking salad dressing which is a funny thought. I did it for 2 days and slacked off but my beginning heartburn was gone! I had it at 6 weeks last pregnancy and it just got worse and worse. Maybe a small glass of water instead of the 8 oz?

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#15 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM

I make my own salad dressing, mainly just lemon juice, herbs, salt and olive oil, and LOVE drinking it out of the salad bowl when it is empty. I am SOOOOO wierd i know!!
I have a vivid recollection of doing that when I was very young too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page