Darn Darn Darn Underactive Thyroid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grrr I am so irritated.

The OB's office just called. I actually answered the phone by saying "Michelle, are you calling me with bad news?"

During a screening, my thyroid levels came back a bit high (I think high...). So I went back for more bloodwork. I thought that perhaps the phlembotomist had damaged the blood sample during the screening - she left the tourniquet on too long, perhaps hemolyzing the blood....

Well nope. My thyroid is underactive and I have to start a drug called Synthroid today. I have had so many different pregnancy complications! I don't know anything about hypothyroidism. I'm annoyed.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM

My husband is hypothyroid. He lived for quite a while as a hyperthyroid until they killed off his thyroid now he's also on synthroid. When your thyroid is messed up you don't feel good. Even if you feel amazing now once you get on meds and get your thyroid levels back to normal you will feel even better than you do now.

I don't know if you'll have it when pregnancy is over but if you do it'll be something you'll have to be on pills for forever, and it runs on the maternal side of the family so you'll have to keep an eye on your kids as they get older and maybe mention it to your mom's side of the family as well.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
My husband is hypothyroid. He lived for quite a while as a hyperthyroid until they killed off his thyroid now he's also on synthroid. When your thyroid is messed up you don't feel good. Even if you feel amazing now once you get on meds and get your thyroid levels back to normal you will feel even better than you do now.

I don't know if you'll have it when pregnancy is over but if you do it'll be something you'll have to be on pills for forever, and it runs on the maternal side of the family so you'll have to keep an eye on your kids as they get older and maybe mention it to your mom's side of the family as well.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I feel good...I've noticed I have no energy, I'm sleeping close to 12 hrs a day....and honestly I've been depressed for about 18 months.

The more I looked at the symptoms, the more relieved I felt. They are really just little things...but it is such a relief to think there may be a physiological cause to them, instead of thinking I'm lazy and I must not be eating right.

I asked if it would go away, the nurse said it's unlikely, but it could happen. I'll be sure to call my mom and let her know...they are all diabetic too, just what they need lol.

#4 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Yep when ever DH's meds are off he stops sleeping well but wants to sleep ALL THE TIME, is never hungry but can't stop eating, he can't focus, and it makes him grouchy and depressed. It makes such a huge difference! When his meds are good, he's the man I met 7.5 years ago.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Synthroid's no big deal... I've been on it since 2000. I was actually diagnosed because I was depressed at the time. Turned out it was my thyroid and not my family's rich history of mental illness!

Anyway, just be sure to take it the same time each day and on an empty stomach. It's especially counter-indicated with a lot of vitamins, so I take it in the morning and take my pre-natal at night.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#6 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm taking Synthroid too. It's working well for me.

I hope you feel better

jog.gifkid.gif

#7 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Anyway, just be sure to take it the same time each day and on an empty stomach. It's especially counter-indicated with a lot of vitamins, so I take it in the morning and take my pre-natal at night.
Yes, actually, this is more important than I realized at first. I usually take it before I get out of bed, then snooze a little more, then go on with my day. A naturopath told me that Synthroid/levothryoxine (generic) can take about 45 minutes to metabolize into the bloodstream. So, I try to get about 45-1 hour between taking the medicine and eating breakfast. If this is possible for you, you might want to try it as well.

You also will want to make sure your dr. checks your levels every 8-10 weeks (it takes that long for the medicine to actually work effectively in your system).

Me(34); DH (33); Now a mommy to beautiful baby boy born 3/18/10
#8 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwife08 View Post
You also will want to make sure your dr. checks your levels every 8-10 weeks (it takes that long for the medicine to actually work effectively in your system).
This! Especially during pregnancy and post-partum. My levels changed several times over my first pregnancy, and then took a while to reset after birth. I think it was almost a year until I was back to my pre-pregnancy Synthroid dosage.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#9 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
Yep when ever DH's meds are off he stops sleeping well but wants to sleep ALL THE TIME, is never hungry but can't stop eating, he can't focus, and it makes him grouchy and depressed. It makes such a huge difference! When his meds are good, he's the man I met 7.5 years ago.
So weird, it's like you just described me......

I'm always tired, worn out, run down (figured it was because I'm a single mom with 3 kids and I'm pregnant) but I never sleep well. My DP is very careful to never wake me up if I'm asleep...even if it means him getting up early and getting the kids to school, or if I pass out on the couch...because I'll have such a hard time falling back to sleep.

I'm so grouchy - way too often. And well, depressed. I even noticed last week as my DP was leaving the house with a friend...he was laughing! I got really jealous because I almost never laugh.

Wow, it would make such a difference if just those two issues went away.

I also get a lot of urinary tract infections. I do everything I can to prevent them too, they started about 18 months ago. I wipe correctly, I pee and wash after sex...I still get them. I read that underactive thyroid can cause you to be more suceptable to infections....would be great if they would back off a bit too!

#10 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Synthroid's no big deal... I've been on it since 2000. I was actually diagnosed because I was depressed at the time. Turned out it was my thyroid and not my family's rich history of mental illness!

Thanks, I read about that when I was looking for more information. I can take the pre-natal at night no problem.

#11 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwife08 View Post
Yes, actually, this is more important than I realized at first. I usually take it before I get out of bed, then snooze a little more, then go on with my day. A naturopath told me that Synthroid/levothryoxine (generic) can take about 45 minutes to metabolize into the bloodstream. So, I try to get about 45-1 hour between taking the medicine and eating breakfast. If this is possible for you, you might want to try it as well.

Thanks, the nurse told me I'd have to get my levels checked soon, they said they could do it during the GTT - which is about 9 weeks away for me.

#12 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 AM

WOW you guys! We just learned last week that my eldest DD has hypothyroidism, and I have learned more from you ladies than I have elsewhere on mothering! Thank you! We started her taking her levothryoxine in the a.m. but she forgot one morning and started taking them at night, so we will go back to morning, she doesn't like to eat until around 10ish, so he tummy will be empty for awhile. Thanks mama's!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#13 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiMom View Post
WOW you guys! We just learned last week that my eldest DD has hypothyroidism, and I have learned more from you ladies than I have elsewhere on mothering! Thank you! We started her taking her levothryoxine in the a.m. but she forgot one morning and started taking them at night, so we will go back to morning, she doesn't like to eat until around 10ish, so he tummy will be empty for awhile. Thanks mama's!
You're welcome! Since your DD is probably going to have this for her whole life, make sure she knows it can affect fertility (when she's old enough to start wanting children). If untreated (and yes, even I, an allegedly responsible grown-up, went off my meds for a while), it can lead to infertility or problems with miscarriage. If treated, it doesn't pose a problem.

#14 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Samantha, it might be a good idea to look into getting Synthroid instead of the generic. From what I understand the generic dosage can vary from month to month due to FDA regulations....or something like that, where the name brand stays consistant.

Just something to look into!

#15 of 18 Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 PM

Reviving this post to say hi & see how the other hypothyroid mamas are doing! I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago, and had been taking generic levothyroxine for about half that time. Saw an endo for the first time about 8 weeks into this pregnancy, which was an awful experience--being rushed & ignored, and then she wanted to increase my dose VERY drastically. She agreed to increase my dose only moderately (and I'm taking Synthroid now). I switched to a different doc in the same practice and what a difference! The new doc actually listens, looks at me, talks TO me, not AT me. So I'm happy about seeing her now. Anyway....

My original pre-pregnancy dose was 75mcg, but now I'm on 137mcg, and ever-so-slightly hyperthyroid at this point (low range for 2nd trimester TSH is .03, I'm at .02). Endo wants to keep my dose the same since she says I may need more as baby & I grow, and we're retesting in a month. I'm okay with that (but even more aggravated at first doc who wanted to put me on 150mcg!).

However, I think I'm having symptoms related to the slight hyperthyroidism, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this: I have this underlying feeling like I'm on the verge of crying, but I can't. I may rent a tear-jerker one day soon to try to drag it out of me! I think it's anxiety (I've dealt with it over the years), but I've never felt it quite like this. It's not debilitating, it's just a little... weird or uncomfortable I guess. I'm hoping/expecting it to wane as my pregnancy progresses, but there is a part of me that's scared of what effect this is having on my baby. The endo said the first trimester is the most critical, and now we're mostly dealing with me (baby has her own thyroid now).

I don't have other pg friends with thyroid problems, so it's nice that there are others here to share the experience with. How is everyone else doing?
#16 of 18 Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM

Hi Lucy in NJ! I've got a Lucy in NJ, but she's four!

I actually had a really good experience with the endo that I saw last week. He moved me from 75mcg to 100mcg and is going to test me in two weeks, and then every six weeks after that. He was really thorough. I don't know if you are near Philly, but he was great. (Dr. Silpasuvan aka Dr. Silpa at Pennsylvania Hospital.)

I'm feeling OK... definitely not feeling hyper at all, but I think my dosage should have been brought up a month ago, so my TSH was still low. When I was pg with Lucy, I lived in NYC, and my endo was also my primary. He kept really great tabs on me during my pregnancy. Things have definititely been looser this time around.

#17 of 18 Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Since I started the Synthroid a few weeks ago I've noticed I have more energy. Not a whole lot, but I'm not completely exhausted during the day. I have had a few days where I took super long naps during the day - but it hasn't been happening as often, and when I am up and about I really feel like I have more energy.

I'm a bit concerned about having gone my whole first trimester without knowing I had a problem...

#18 of 18 Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 PM

Hi Stacey! Thanks for the endo recommendation. Philly's 30-60 minutes from me, depending on exactly where and what time I go. I'm happy so far with the latest doctor I've seen, so I'll probably stay with her.

ArtsyMomma, I felt an increase in energy after my dose was increased, but it was also at the start of the 2nd trimester, when they say we should have increased energy. It is a concern to me too, that my TSH was high in the first trimester. From what the doctors have told me, it wasn't that bad (it was just under 7), but I still worry a little in the back of my mind. And I want to kick myself for not seeing an endo sooner, because they would have had me on a higher dose sooner than my primary doc. Nothing I can do now but keep on top of it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page